burglary case with DA?


April 15, 2008, 01:06 AM
we recently had a case finished with the DA as prosecutor.

i'm just curious. did the DA do the case as a favor? could i have hired my own lawyer?

If you enjoyed reading about "burglary case with DA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
April 15, 2008, 07:31 AM
Case finished? Are you saying you were recently a witness for the State? A victim of a burglary? Member of a jury?

With the DA as prosecutor? Who else would prosecute a criminal cause but the chief law enforcement officer?:confused:

DA do it as a favor? Likely it was his job.

I completely confused, can you please tell us what happened and what remedy you are seeking?

April 15, 2008, 10:40 AM
As El T said, we need more information. I was an assistant prosecutor (ADA) for years, but don't understand what you're asking...

April 15, 2008, 11:05 AM
I have found that when the DA or SA, depending on what they're called in your neck of the woods, personally, it's either a high profile case, an election season, or both.

If you were on the prosecution side, then no, you couldn't have hired your own lawyer. If you were on the defense side, then yes you could have.

The DA doesn't "do" the case as a favor, it's his job, or his assistant district attorneys' job.

April 15, 2008, 11:06 AM
ok, here goes. i detected a burglar inside the restaurant. i called the cops. they surrounded the place and arrested him. i almost had to be a witness. the case is finished and he is now sitting in state prison.

i think that yall already answered my question that she was just doing her job. turned out, they didn't need me to be a witness after all. he plead guilty. and i'm trying to find out what his sentence is.

El Tejon
April 15, 2008, 12:21 PM
O.K., I see.

Up here such a thing is public record and easily accessible on the county website or the IDoC (Indiana Department of Corrections) website.

I suggest the following if you can't find it on line down there:

1. Call the DA's office. Most prosecutor's offices have "victim advocates" or "witness coordinators" or maybe an "investigator" (usually a retired cop who works as a detective for the DA) who could help you.

2. Call the court. Sentencing orders are public record. Give them a call (be nice and patient).

3. Swing by the Clerk's office at the courthouse (or county building) and see if they can look it up.

4. Call the DA assigned the case. When I was a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, I always took time to answer witness/victims question (good public relations and all).

Good luck. Sorry about my post--I just didn't understand what you wanted.:)

Henry Bowman
April 15, 2008, 01:45 PM
could i have hired my own lawyer?To answer this question: No. Crimes are offenses against the state (or USA in federal crimes). They cannot be privately prosecuted for several reasons. When you hear of a "special prosecutor" or such, it is a case where someone outside the prosecutor's (or district attorney's or US Attorney's) office is given special authority or "appointment," usually to avoid the appearance of bias, politics, or inside influence.

April 15, 2008, 03:00 PM
You could sue the perpetrator in civil court for any damage he did to your store, and you might need a lawyer for that. Of course, if the guy doesn't have any money to go after, there's no point in suing him.

If you enjoyed reading about "burglary case with DA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!