Letter in local paper regarding "Take Your Guns to Work" bill in Florida

PDA

Billy_H
April 15, 2008, 02:15 AM
This was a letter published in a local Tampa, Fl paper today:

LETTERS
Just what we don’t need: Gun toters at work
Re: “Gun Ho,’’ tbt* April 10
Letting people keep guns in their cars at their place of business is the stupidest idea to come along since the proposal to arm teachers in schools. Gun advocates are very fond of saying that random shootings can be prevented by arm*ing law abiding citizens, but just because some*one has a carry permit and shoots at a range once in a while does not mean they can handle a crazed psycho with an automatic weapon.
Does anyone really think that once the shoot*ing starts in a school or business that Johnny Rambo is going to rush into the building with his handgun and save the day? No, he’ ll run for cover just like everyone else, saying, “Let the po*lice handle it — that’s what my taxes pay for!” Then he’ ll complain that the cops didn’ t react quickly enough!
The last thing this country needs is more peo*ple with guns!
Dennis Bush, Tampa
E-mail letters to tbteditors@tampabay.com.
Please include your full name and city of resi*dence.

To see the full text you'll need to visit THIS link and go to page 16. There is a cartoon, which may also be of interest, followed by another piece. The letter posted above is below that.

I run a local message board in Tampa and this was brought to my attention there. Others have already started writing in and expressing their sentiments. If any of you would like to contribute, go ahead.

Letters are being accepted at:
tbteditors@tampabay.com
Reference the story title in your email subject: "RE:Just what we don’t need: Gun toters at work"

If you enjoyed reading about "Letter in local paper regarding "Take Your Guns to Work" bill in Florida" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Billy_H
April 15, 2008, 02:18 AM
My response:

In your current Letters section Dennis Bush wrote the following:

“Does anyone really think that once the shoot¬ing starts in a school or business that Johnny Rambo is going to rush into the building with his handgun and save the day? No, he’ ll run for cover just like everyone else, saying, “Let the po¬lice handle it — that’s what my taxes pay for!” Then he’ ll complain that the cops didn’ t react quickly enough!”

While that may be how he would react there are others who would act differently. While reading his letter I kept thinking of Liviu Librescu.

For those who don't know, or don't remember, he was a 76 year old aeronautics engineer and lecturer who died while barricading the door to his classroom with his own body during the Virginia Tech shooting. He blocked passage into his room so that students could escape through the windows.

And I find it sick that there are those people who think that noone would fight back when there are cases like this of people who selflessly give of themselves with no hope of survival and no hope of doing more than giving others a chance.

Thank you,
Billy_H
Tampa, Florida
www.TampaForums.com

misANTHrope
April 15, 2008, 02:35 AM
Billy, that's a far better response than the kind that was brewing in my mind. I don't think Art's Grammaw would have approved of the comments I was forming.

:cuss:

My THR-worthy comment is just that this is a prime example of taking supposition and elevating it to the level of fact. This act is sometimes referred to as "ignorance."

jrfoxx
April 15, 2008, 07:08 AM
Notice the guy never makes any mention of how guns at work create ANY kind of problems or violence. He only complains that if people have guns in thier cars at work, they wont rush in to help. So, my question is, even if that were true 100% of the time (which it won't be), how is that any different than if guns weren't allowed in thier cars? his complaint is we shouldnt be allowed a gun in our car because we'll use it to do......nothing? OK then. makes sense. :D What a moron.

cambeul41
April 15, 2008, 07:51 AM
A link might have been nice. I do not respond to things unless I can read the whole.

This is related: http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/state/article450220.ece

If you enjoyed reading about "Letter in local paper regarding "Take Your Guns to Work" bill in Florida" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!