What is bad for guns?

PDA

Indifferent
April 15, 2008, 04:01 PM
I was thinking about this, I don't want to keep the action open on my Mossberg to lock it with my Cable. I'm thinking its leaving the hammer slightly cocked, or something. But then I thought about other things like semi autos, revolvers, chemicals.

I want to know, leaving the action or slide or what not fully pulled back on a semi auto to run a cable lock is going to put stress on springs, right?

What about chemicals, I swear I have read people using carb cleaner to clean guns, wouldn't that be hard on the finish?

Anything else so I can learn?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "What is bad for guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
claytonfaulkner
April 15, 2008, 04:11 PM
about your spring question, i have always been told that you should never leave a gun cocked becasue it will ruin the spring. that being said, spring are warn out by heat. as a spring compresses and releases, it creates heat that over a period of time, will wear the spring out. kind of like when you put new springs on an old car, the car COULD sit higher. want to try an experment? take a spring out of a pen and hold it with pliars and heat it up with a butane lighter, let it cool, and see how springy it is after.

this is all my personal openion, dont listen to it, wait for someone else to answer your question correctly

WayneConrad
April 15, 2008, 04:15 PM
I don't know if a gun spring ever gets hot enough to detemper the metal. Other than that, the only thing that harms a spring is stretching or compressing it past its design limit. Keeping it compressed within its normal design limits, or not compressed, or anywhere between, for any amount of time, will not harm it

Brake cleaner can harm painted finishes and plastics and the finishes used on wood. Not blued metal. However, it does leave the metal absolutely bare and vulnerable to rust even in what you might consider a dry climate. Be sure to get some oil on the metal right away.

Auburn1992
April 15, 2008, 07:04 PM
Over oiling it can gum up the action.

RancidSumo
April 15, 2008, 07:09 PM
What is bad for guns?

Hillary and Obama :evil:

acdodd
April 15, 2008, 07:18 PM
What he said.:)

I always heard the 2 worst things for guns are rust and liberals.
AC

btg3
April 15, 2008, 07:21 PM
as a spring compresses and releases, it creates heat that over a period of time, will wear the spring out.
The above needs correction:
1. Coil springs get warmer when compressed and cooler when relaxed. This is because of energy being stored and released with less than 100% efficiency so there is heat loss/gain. (Physics 101). You can experience this with a rubber band. Stretch it and quickly hold it stretched to your lips; then relax it and touch it to your lips. Your lips will sense the temperature change.
2. This will not generate anywhere near enough heat to affect the temper.

Spring fatigue will eventually occur over time as the spring is repeatedly cycled. Typically, a spring will not be stressed beyond its design limits by normal use of a firearm.

Superlite27
April 15, 2008, 07:47 PM
What about periods of time between compressions?

I carry my 1911 condition 1, yet I usually de-cock it every night. I am currently assuming I'm relieving pressure on the spring, therefore, lengthening its life.

Is this compression/decompression actually more harmful? Would I be better off leaving it cocked?

Rachen
April 15, 2008, 07:48 PM
What is bad for guns?

Answer: Left wing gun grabbers in office.

WayneConrad
April 15, 2008, 07:48 PM
Keeping springs compressed does not harm them. Leave your magazine loaded, or your hammer cocked, for as long as you wish.

btg3
April 15, 2008, 07:56 PM
Yep. Otherwise, I'd put my truck on jack stands every night. :D

Superlite27
April 15, 2008, 07:59 PM
Thank you.

The Lone Haranguer
April 15, 2008, 08:13 PM
I want to know, leaving the action or slide or what not fully pulled back on a semi auto to run a cable lock is going to put stress on springs, right?

You are not retracting the slide or bolt very far - a quarter inch at most. It is the cycling of springs (rapidly compressed and extended during the firing cycle) that wears them out, not a small amount of extra compression.

What about chemicals, I swear I have read people using carb cleaner to clean guns, wouldn't that be hard on the finish?

I tried carb cleaner on a stainless revolver once to remove the burn rings from the front of the cylinder. (Burn rings are carbon, which carb cleaner is supposed to remove, right?) It didn't work, at least no better than a nylon scrub brush in normal gun cleaning solvent. It also is not very volatile, dries relatively slowly and stinks.

Now, brake cleaner is a good degreaser. It also dries quickly, leaving little residue or odor. The spray solvents you see (e.g., Gun Scrubber) are a further refinement of brake cleaner. These can attack wood finishes as well as many plastics, literally dissolving some of them. While they will not hurt the polymers used in pistol frames, I once melted a plastic magazine follower, and some grips may be vulnerable. Just to be on the safe side I've standardized on the synthetic safe version of these products.

CountGlockula
April 15, 2008, 08:32 PM
I always leave the slide closed and cocked ready. And it's in a safe with touch key combination for quick access.

I've yet to put a cable on my Glock.

Secondly, just use cleaning solvents made for firearms...not automobiles.

WayneConrad
April 15, 2008, 08:37 PM
Secondly, just use cleaning solvents made for firearms...not automobiles.

Unchlorinated brake cleaner is the same thing as gun scrubber, as far as I know, but cheaper and with a different label.

fearless leader
April 15, 2008, 09:18 PM
I don't know that carb cleaner is bad for the gun, but it smells to high heaven! You may not want to shoot it again.

As far as locking your Mossy, have you considered storing it unassembled? I used to put a handcuff through the action, to keep out kids, but I wasn't conserned with the finish.

If you are storing it longterm, I would not leave the action open and I would snap the trigger. If you're talking a week at a time, I wouldn't concern myself and open the action.

I understand Carb cleaner is designed to eat every thing off of your aluminum carburator that isn't supposed to be there. It may eat your finish.

BruceRDucer
April 15, 2008, 11:21 PM
It's bad to shoot .38 ammo out of a .357, and fail to run the copper brush through the cylinder with Hoppe's Elite.

I was shocked after failing to do this, when the .357 ammo got stuck in the cylinder. :uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "What is bad for guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!