Were you an armed child?

PDA

blkbrd666
April 15, 2008, 04:33 PM
All the age arguments about 18 vs 21, responsible people, and the right to carry on campus made me think of something.

How many of you grew up on a farm, ranch, etc. and carried a rifle or pistol with you all the time as a kid(not goat) but a pre-teen? Did anyone's parents or grandparents view them as responsible enough to carry a gun out checking fences, feeding animals, squirrel hunting, etc. at a young age? If so, how young?

Example: I went straight from spring operated BB gun to .22 lever action and missed out on the pellet rifle stage that all my friends went through. I am trying to track down the exact manufacture date of my first .22 to determine when it was given to me...I remember being very young.

If you enjoyed reading about "Were you an armed child?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
subierex
April 15, 2008, 04:37 PM
Didn't own a firearm until I was in my late 20's but grew up with a Crossman 760 (that I still have). Spent my childhood with my buddies running through the woods all day, sharpening my aim. Wouldn't have traded that for anything.

I feel sorry for the Nintendo generation.

ColinthePilot
April 15, 2008, 04:40 PM
I didn't grow up with guns, but dart pistols, rubber band guns, and regular toy guns were all over the place. Dad being a Marine, I still wasn't allowed to point anything but a supersoaker in an unsafe direction, because even toy rifles are always loaded.

I inherited my first guns when my grandmother passed away when I was 16, bought my first firearm at 19, and at 22, i've already bought 8 guns and sold 1, and I'm getting ready for another when my tax refund comes!

41 magnum fan
April 15, 2008, 04:43 PM
I got my first gun at age 6.Been hunting on my own since I was 11 years old.Always had a gun handy as a teenager.Been carrying a handgun full time since i was 18.

illEagle
April 15, 2008, 04:45 PM
I've been shooting/hunting since I was about 10. (40 years) Didn't go solo for a couple of years after. I still have the old Winchester single shot .22 I learned to shoot with.

I didn't grow up on a farm but there was plenty of hills and hollers behind our house.

... didn't get a BB gun until I was 12. Never did have a pellet gun.

Old Dog
April 15, 2008, 04:47 PM
You could say that ... shootin' BB guns at six years of age or so (trusted by dad to do so unsupervised by nine or ten years old), first .22 rifle at age 12, first handgun at age 16 ...

I grew up back in the day when the sight of three or four adolescent boys carrying .22 rifles on the outskirts of town or along the railroad tracks, just plinkin' away at cans and such, didn't alarm anyone, wouldn't get the SWAT van mobilized, the police helicopter (and the Channel 7 news chopper) overhead ...

Heck, it was common for us to keep our deer rifles or shotguns in our cars in plain sight or in the gun racks in our pickups in the high school parking lot during hunting seasons.

geekWithA.45
April 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
Was I an armed child?

Yes, I was.

At the age of 13, on my own authority, and by my own power, I began carrying with me everywhere I went the folding knife I had purchased with money that I had earned.

It was both a tool, and an unapologetic lethal weapon.

I retired that knife with honor a few years ago, I still have it.

I also shot sporadically as a pre-teen.

possom813
April 15, 2008, 04:50 PM
I started out shooting with my dad and 5 older brothers. He would take us out to an old bridge to shoot paint cans a couple of times a month.

Then the parents decided I needed a bb gun to shoot while we were at the deer lease. I don't remember what kind it was, but it was a lever action.

Also, they bought a youth bow set for me that I stayed in trouble with...(The brothers would have the deer hanging in the tree for cleaning and I would ambush the deer) The bow eventually got taken away.

I then moved up to a pellet gun. I don't recall the brand of it either, but I got it when I was 7. It was lethal on squirrels, and I kept the population down. A seal or something finally broke on it when I was about 12.

On with the Benjamin Sheridan. I got it shortly after the other rifle broke. Extremely accurate and fun to shoot. Had it 'til I was 14, then got bored with it after my mom gave me the J.C. Higgins 101.7 .410 SXS. All of the sudden, the pellet rifles weren't as fun anymore. So I traded the Sheridan in at the pawnshop when I was 18 and added 40 dollars with it and got a Winchester .22. It was semiauto, but I don't remember the model number, 60 or 90 or maybe 190. I do remember it was priced at 80 bucks.

I was also pretty destructive with a screwdriver...Just ask the older brother who took the nintendo control away from me while I was playing Tetris...

Coyote3855
April 15, 2008, 05:07 PM
Received a Winchester Boy's Rifle .22 for Christmas when I was eight. That would have been December 1952. I still have my first Daisy air rifle and the Winchester. Got a handgun before a driver's license, was an Iver Johnson Trailsman 66 breaktop .22. Traded it for a Ruger Single Six after the IJ went back to the factory twice for timing issues.

When I was in junior high school, I could check out a .22 rifle from the Science Teacher and take it home for the weekend. On the school bus. And he sold .22 standard velocity for $.50 a box of 50.

Times has changed some...

Coyote

GearHead_1
April 15, 2008, 05:26 PM
I grew up in a rural setting. I got a BB gun for Christmas at 5 years old and a SEARS pump .22 at age 8. I didn't carry a weapon all of the time but I had access to firearms all of the time. It wasn't uncommon for me and my friends to carry .22's unsupervised in the foothills at age 9 or 10. I look back on that now and even as well as I've trained my son (far more formal training than I received) I would not allow him to do the same thing. In retrospect Child Protective Services would have take children from parents for doing as mine did this day and age. My parents were good parents and none of this was abnormal back then. I did lose a friend at age 14 while spinning a .22 pistol (hammer back) on his finger. The gun discharged into his heart and he bled to death before an ambulance could arrive. I wasn't there but another friend was and witnessed it happen. It affected him for the rest of his life (he's now gone also). My father used to take me shooting quite a bit. He was an amazing shot and could routinely shoot a thrown bottle out of the air with a pistol and I even saw him shoot a penny out of the air with a .22 rifle. Once I saw him take a hen pheasant at 75 yards out of the air with a .22 rifle. This is the old my dad is better than your dad but seriously he could do it. He used to tell me that they didn't have anything else to do when he was growing up. He either worked on the farm or was shooting .22's Funny thing is I don't remember doing anything really stupid with guns once passed I got passed the BB gun stage. We were taught how to use firearms and used them they way they were meant to be used. We took hunters safety at 8 or 10 years of age (required to get a hunting license at age 12) and had to qualify with .22's to complete the course. We were carrying weapons and hunting pheasant at age 12 and deer at age 16 under adult supervision. I bought my new first semi auto pistol (in my own name and without dad) at age 18, I've never stopped since that day. It was a S&W 9 mm model 39 (as I remember) that had a trigger slop of about an inch. It's the only gun I've ever purchased that I've sold. My how times have changed.

sm
April 15, 2008, 06:06 PM
Yep.

I was born in 1955 and upon being brought home from being born, a .22 revolver was placed in my dresser drawer crib, along with a Case Peanut, and other items a Southern Boy should have.

I shot my gun at age 3.
Handguns age 3, rifles age 4 and shotguns at age 5.
I was given a gun to CCW at age 8.

I wagged a gun everywhere, granted in the early years, my revolver rifle and shotgun - had adults assist, still I wagged them going places.

Get bigger, and no problem for me, and other kids, to head out to shoot by ourselves.
One was not dressed without a knife in the pocket.

We took guns to school, even in the first grade, for show and tell.
Heck in elementary school we had BB Guns we shot indoors on bad days and outside when the weather was nice.

Jr High, same deal. Heck we brought guns to school to mess with in Shop classes, both wood and metal shop.

Sr High, same deal, plus we hunted before school, had guns in vehicles as we were going to hunt after school, or be heading out for the weekend on Fridays

We had Vietnam going on and all sorts of events happening, and nobody ever shot anyone.
WE did have one gal get attacked during a civil unrest by 3 non-students, and she fended them off with a straight razor, until I and others come a running to assist her.

Was I armed?
Damn straight I was, as was others, as that was the way kids were parented and mentored in my day.

So I do not cotton to the ideas folks today have, in regard to guns, schools and I don't care if they are anti's or pro gun with kids and go on about locking up guns and all they do sometimes.

I and my kind were raised, that gun was serious, deadly tool. WE knew it was, and when time to sweep / mop behind the kitchen door, we got a bigger person to assist, or we used safety to move it so we could sweep or mop.

We knew loaded guns were in the house, and business and we knew how to act responsible around firearms.

Just like school, because not only did we take guns to school, had them in vehicles, as did teachers, the schools themselves had guns for us to shoot.
Yep, we had .22 handguns and rifles at school as part of our school "equipment" and curricula.

Not one damn time did anyone ever run into a school and start shooting up the place when I was coming up.
Never!!

radkoch
April 15, 2008, 06:08 PM
I shot my first gun when I was 6 in at my uncles range. I have a mossberg 22 I won at a raffle when I was 8 (well dad got it but it was my number) and have been shooting ever since (35 years since I won the Mossberg)

Sniper X
April 15, 2008, 06:10 PM
I had my own .410 single shot shotgun at 9, my first rifle at 10, it was a Marlin Golden 22A, and my first pistol, well revolver at 12, it was a Ruger Single six. I still had them all till I was about 18. At that time I got my first carry handgun, a Colt Dimondback in .38spl. Had it till I got my first 1911 at 21. After that it was all about 1911s and a bunch of other guns.

SaxonPig
April 15, 2008, 06:10 PM
Got my first gun at 13 and always had ready access to it and the ones that followed.

blkbrd666
April 15, 2008, 06:11 PM
Born in '62, I must have been in the very tail end of the good days. I can't believe some of the crap today(Child Protective Services, etc.). Yeah, they probably would have taken me away...and I would have probably grown up to be a useless criminal if they had. That's one thing that's wrong with society today, other people(sp. g'vment) sticking their nose where it doesn't belong to "protect" someone..."protect the idiots" rather than let the strong and intelligent survive. I must have been the next to last generation that knew your jeans were supposed to be fastened and belted "above" the a55 and not "below" it. If I knew of a small town where life was like it was when I was a kid, I would move there and spend the rest of mine...chances are, I could go shoot in my back yard too rather than having to drive to the range(had to throw "something" gun related in my rant). :)

elkhuntingfool
April 15, 2008, 06:11 PM
Yes - very well armed thanks to my father and grandfather. Started shooting when I was knee high to a grasshopper :) And now my kids are well armed - when I'm around.

jakeswensonmt
April 15, 2008, 06:15 PM
As a kid growing up in Montana, these are the weapons I actually owned:
6 - Daisy "Red Ryder" style BB gun
11 - Daisy Powerline 770 BB gun
14 - 22lr/410 break action rifle/shotgun (Don't think I ever knew what brand it was.)
15 - crossbow (cheapie)
17 - Ruger mini 14
17 - compound bow (90lb Bear)
18 - Sig P220
This is in addition to the myriad folding knives, hunting knives, throwing knives, swords, machetes, blowguns, shuriken, nunchucks, atlatl-thrown spears, bagh nagh, knuckle-daggers, and all the other stuff that I forget. We even fabricated evil blowdarts out of porcupine quills. Me and my crazy friends were the best equipped ninjas in the whole high school. (PS None of our weapons were ever used in anger, except perhaps the RPG-inspired bottle-rocket cannon.)

Winchester 73
April 15, 2008, 06:15 PM
Starting at age 11 on my granddad's Sussex,N.J.farm,I carried a .22, snuffing out varmints like gophers and groundhogs.
Picked off a lot of rabbits and squirrels for the cookpot besides.
NJ was a little different in the 1950's.

Acheron
April 15, 2008, 06:16 PM
No. I only really got into shooting about two years ago. I had toy guns as a kid, but never the real thing. I was 17 when I fired a gun for the first time, didn't touch 'em for a while after that. Bought my first gun two years later, a SKS.

Sniper X
April 15, 2008, 06:16 PM
In fact, we used to all get together (at ten about 9 or 10 of us) here in Albuquerque and all grab our .22s and walk up Menaul. That was one of the bigger east west streets here in Albuquerque. We would walk up the mile or so to the foothills of the Sandia mountains to shoot rabits and what not....cops woud drive by and wave or stop and ask what we were going to shoot rabits or vbirds! Shoot, now if we did that at ten years old the SWAT guys would respond!

BTW, this was 1968~69..... the good old days of gun ownership!

blkbrd666
April 15, 2008, 06:17 PM
P.S. Some of these are awesome!...and very familiar! I wonder what happened along the way?

geekWithA.45
April 15, 2008, 06:19 PM
Q: I wonder what happened along the way?

A: http://www.amazon.com/Liberal-Fascism-American-Mussolini-Politics/dp/0385511841/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208297962&sr=8-1

TIMC
April 15, 2008, 06:21 PM
Were you an armed child?

Yes, I was born with two of them! Arms that is. They got their first gun at age nine and were allowed to hunt on their own without an adult watching over their shoulder at age 12.
Now days they are old and flabby but they have way more guns to play with!

Winchester 73
April 15, 2008, 06:24 PM
I wonder what happened along the way?

Lee Harvey Oswald,The Great Society,Martin,Bobby,Jimmy Carter,Bill Clinton just for starters.

mgregg85
April 15, 2008, 06:25 PM
Dad gave me a bb gun when I was around 7 or so. I was maybe 10 or 11 when I started carrying a marlin 60 .22 around. Then he gave me a youth model 870 around 12 or 13, been shooting like crazy ever since.

azhunter12
April 15, 2008, 06:28 PM
My first gun was when I was 12. Now 14 going on 15.

doc2rn
April 15, 2008, 06:30 PM
Yes at age 8 I got my first BB gun.
Pellet gun at age 9.
Missed the .22 lr Marlin at age 10 since dad was unemployed, had to share with older brother and maybe got to shoot it 3X's total.
Age 11 got a Ruger Standard 6" .22 lr. Carried everywhere except school. I was the king of the pond since I was trusted with a pistol before my older brother.

btg3
April 15, 2008, 06:30 PM
Only long guns. BB and .22 early on around the house, and a bow that I was decent with. Shot squirrels and a few copperheads along the creek. Then shotguns at age 12, but not so much around the house. Reloaded all we shot, which meant there was always gunpowder for... shall we say "experiments". From age 15-30, I had guns, but was interested in other stuff. Saw to it that my kids had BB guns and I started back shooting a little with a club. Now my oldest and I both CC and do some IDPA.

SoCalShooter
April 15, 2008, 06:31 PM
I had several homemade rubber band guns and I was packing multiple pieces of heat.

Pilot
April 15, 2008, 06:32 PM
I had and still have a Winchester 69A .22 rifle at 10 years old or so. At 14 I was given my Dad's Walther PP WWII bringback and three S&W service revolvers in .32 long and .38 Spl that my grandad carried as a Philly cop. Rarely shot the pistols but I shot the .22 rifle a lot.

rcmodel
April 15, 2008, 06:32 PM
Cap-guns from the time I could lift them.
Daisy BB gun when I was probably 5 or 6.
.22 Winchester single shot when I was 9 or 10.
Hunting with a 12 guage single-shot junker by myself when I was 11 or 12.
Remington 878 semi-auto when I was 14.
Either a shotgun, 30-06, Ruger .22 pistol, or .45 S&W revolver in my car 24/7 when a Junior & Senior in high school. (Depending on what hunting season it was at the time)

Army Basic when I was 18.

5th. Army AMU Pistol Team when I was 24.

I can't even remember when I didn't have a gun, or guns of my own, of some kind!

rcmodel

theotherwaldo
April 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
I found my first gun at the age of 4 during a visit to my grandmother's house. This led to a long lecture and a short education regarding the hazards and responsibilities of handling firearms.
I came up with three more in the next year, when I was given my first BB rifle. I quickly lost this for unsafe handling practices (I shot my sister in the rump after she tried to kill me again) and "officially" had to wait until I was 9 to get another weapon.

Right.

Yeah, I'd say I was an armed child.

dmazur
April 15, 2008, 06:34 PM
No. My dad was not in favor of guns. I never got a lengthy explanation, but I got something about "liability".

The other kids all had .22s, without exception. Some of them would let me borrow one, and I learned there were safety rules about backstop, don't point it at anyone, etc.

After exposure to the .45 ACP and .308 Garand in the Navy, I eventually got into guns a little bit, and over the years, a little bit more.

I'm still not an expert, but considering my early childhood, it's surprising I have any guns at all!

blkbrd666
April 15, 2008, 06:35 PM
There's no one left to ask except my dad, but it looks like I got my Ithaca model M-49 lever action single shot .22 around age 7. I can still remember my grandfather taking a 20 guage pump along when we went squirrel hunting in case I missed...the only time he ever got to shoot was when there was more than 1 squirrel. My next rifle was a Marlin(Glenfield) semi-auto...my shooting skill went downhill a bit after that...funny!!! I'm thankful I still have all my first guns...I'm looking at the Ithaca now trying to figure out how I carried so much and it doesn't have a single scratch or dent on it...amazing, but makes me very happy.

.455_Hunter
April 15, 2008, 06:36 PM
By the age of 13, I had immediate access to a 20 ga NEF Pardner shotgun, .22 Remington Model 33 bolt action single shot, a M1916 7mm Spanish Mauser and a Ruger Single-Six revolver.

At 14, my Dad bought me an Enfield No. 2 Mk. 1* .38 S&W revolver that was mine to use and/or carry as I saw fit. I also picked-up a Gew88 Commission Rifle that year as well.

At 18, I had a CZ-52, Enfield No. 4 Mk. 2 .303 rifle, SKS and Mak-90.

On my 21st B-Day, I bought myself a used Ruger Police Service-Six in .357 Mag.

I carried that Enfield revolver all the time while hiking and camping near Boulder. Still do sometimes even today.

Guns and ammo were never locked up in my house. Heck, I was the one usually doing the loading/unloading for my myself and my dad.

Superlite27
April 15, 2008, 06:36 PM
Question reminds me of some pictures I need to fish around for.

My dad snuck up on me with a camera while I was squirrel hunting when I was about ten. He snapped a few while I was sitting against a tree holding his 870. I didn't get my own gun (20ga. 870) until I was about twelve, but I can remember my dad turning me completely loose with his for a couple of years before that. No pistols though, just long guns. I didn't get my first pistol until I was about 16.

(In these pictures, the shotgun looks HUMONGOUS!)

TCB in TN
April 15, 2008, 06:41 PM
Another armed child. From about 7 or 8 I was free to take my .22 or my single shot shotgun out and plink or hunt as I saw fit. Not a lot of folks around here then, but I was taught to be responsible and was. The same lessons that I have been passing on to my own "armed children".

Rachen
April 15, 2008, 06:42 PM
I learned to craft and throw Shaken when I was six. They are not exactly like the "ninja stars" that you see out there in the martial arts market but were spear shaped, flat pieces of metal with razor sharp edges and tufted with red feathers at the "tail". I could drive the point through a piece of pinewood at regular room-diameter distance on a regular basis.
I always practice at an isolated section of the park.

At ten, I began to work with and collect Civil War pistols. At that time I just thought guns were absolutely cool to have, and as I matured, I realized how important it is to have them in a brave new world.

SevenŠ
April 15, 2008, 06:52 PM
Got my first rifle when I was in the first grade. A single shot .22.

Got my first shotgun when I was in the third grade. A Winchester single shot 20ga.

My parents let me roam outside and in the woods from after school 'till supper time. Unsupervised. I never had a BB gun. I was deprived!

Times have changed.

MEH
April 15, 2008, 06:55 PM
Were you an armed child?

In a way... When I was young my Mother was very anti-gun (years before I was born she was pro-gun but her attitude changed when she had kids) but when I was about 14 I was able to convince her guns were a good thing in responsible hands. By the time I was 15 I had an S&W 37-2 J-frame .38 Special. :D

But I was an armed child... When I was 2 I was carrying a butter knife everywhere (My Mom wouldn't let me have the steaks knives), when I was 5 I carried a Swiss Army Knife, by the time I was 7 I carried a small fishing knife, when I was 9 I carried a large lock blade knife, by the time I was 11 I carried a boot knife.

BTW when I said anti-gun I mean not even squirt guns.

Yes I know I was a very weird child, I was reading constantly and I always wanted to be able to protect my family and myself.

Ala Dan
April 15, 2008, 06:58 PM
Nope, I was a "city slicker" kind'a of, and there wasn't a need of weapons;
so my parents thought~! :uhoh: :eek: :(

Rachen
April 15, 2008, 07:00 PM
Yes I know I was a very weird child, I was reading constantly and I always wanted to be able to protect my family and myself.

Thats not called weird. Thats called natural. After all, that's exactly how I was.
There is nothing better in life than being a scholar and, fighter if need be. Knowledge is enlightment. Knowledge is also successful defense. Knowledge is also defeat of fear.

Microlon
April 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
I've been around and using guns of all kinds since I was about six years old. Dad taught me how to shoot, how to be safe, what NOT to shoot. All of my uncles and cousins are similarly comfortable with guns, as were most of my childhood friends. Didn't grow up on a farm or ranch, but still never saw anything noteworthy about being responsible enough to carry and use firearms at any age. The key is early and proper education.

RNB65
April 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
I carried a semi-auto .22 rifle behind the seat of my pickup truck from my 16th birthday thru the end of high school. Took it to school every day and occasionally onto the local USAF base to visit friends. Never gave it a second thought. Today, they execute people for less.
-

sniper5
April 15, 2008, 07:11 PM
Used to walk from my house up the street by myself about a half mile to a little canyon to hunt rabbits every afternoon after school when I was 14 and lived outside Redding. Had a little Remington 12 .22 pump.

Got stopped by a deputy once. Pulled up alongside and asked through the window if I was carrying it loaded. I said sure and racked the action a couple of times. When nothing came flying out he said "OK, good luck" and drove off.

That was the California I grew up in in the 70's. My, how times have changed.

blkbrd666
April 15, 2008, 07:12 PM
The pocket knife reminds me of a good one. I was in elementary school about the time schools were trying to stop kids from carrying knives. I carried one responsibly as a kid and I can remember my dad coming to the school and telling the principal not to lay a hand on me...call if I did something wrong and he would come take be from school or give me a whipping. All the other kids thought that was so cool, and so did I. What they didn't know was how good a pattling at school felt compared to a whipping with a leather sharpening strap...the kind the barber used to sharpen a straight razor. I was ALWAYS a good kid...never threw the first punch, just the second, which was okay if I couldn't avoid it. But, I got to keep my pocket knife. Maybe sparing the rod(sharpening strap) is what's wrong these days.

The Scout
April 15, 2008, 07:18 PM
Shot my first bb and pellet guns when I was eight. Can shoot pellet now whenever I wish, only had three or so opportunities to shoot the .22s as my Dad is never home to take me to the range. Once I turn 18 things should change.

Never trust a man that doesn't carry a pocket-knife, heck I even go to bed with mine on my wasi-band.

redneck2
April 15, 2008, 07:25 PM
I grew up on a farm in Indiana. Every farm had a rifle and shotgun on the back porch. From the time I was old enough to hold a .22 I could get to one. Probably started shooting it on my own at maybe 7-8 years old. Had a .410 at maybe 10.

leathermanwave
April 15, 2008, 07:33 PM
I was not a armed child I am a armed child. Every time i step out the door i have my crossman 760. Sometimes at night if i have to go outside I carry my Buckmark concealed under my coat although my family is pro 2A they don't think a gun should ever be loaded:confused: Even though the parents keep a shotgun by the bed they keep it unloaded. As long as i don't have to use it they will not know.

sixgunner455
April 15, 2008, 07:56 PM
Always had a knife from age 8 on. And none of the crap about not taking it to school, either. Working on projects in HS, asked my teachers if they minded if I used my knife instead of the dull scissors they had.

Never had a firearm till I bought my own as an adult.

My kids have knives, and while they know that I don't want them breaking school rules, if they forget and take a knife to school, I've told them how to avoid getting caught with it.

My kids have a bb gun and a .22 rifle. As they get older, they will have more.

Georgia Gunner
April 15, 2008, 08:37 PM
I have been hunting with a .22 rifle by myself since I was 7. I was a well trusted kid.

eliphalet
April 15, 2008, 08:38 PM
Been carrying stockman knife since I was in grade school or Jr. High, can't remember for sure. Got a BB gun so long ago I forget how old I was, 6 or 7 probably. First 22 at 11 that was 1960, was turned loose with it on my own within a year or so. That my friends was in Southern California only 60 miles from LA city hall, it ain't like that there now days. I can just imagine what the outcome would be if a kid 13 walked down that same street now carrying a 22 rifle. I left there long ago.

I never thought of any of it as being armed and would have never dreamed of using a knife or gun an another person. It just didn't happen nor did I hear about it happening. We had fist fights plenty but weapns just for the most part not used. Wish we could go back to that kinda crime rate.

Places I would have or did stand on the corner at midnight with my girl I in HS I drove around with the doors locked in the day time last time I was there and avoided completely at night last time I was in that area. I moved to where I feel rather safe now just got home and didn't lock the house, whoops, LOL no biggie we forget that a lot. or keys in the car sometimes overnight not good really but oh well.
Life is far to short for so much of all that.

TexasRifleman
April 15, 2008, 08:49 PM
One of my favorites. I grew up on a farm actively engaged in agriculture so there was no legal reason not to have a firearm at a very young age.

In fact Texas law exempts folks from the 17 year old limit in such cases.

46.13 exempts if:
(4) occurred during a time when the actor was engaged
in an agricultural enterprise.

So, yes I was armed from about age 12 on. Perfectly legal.

And driving a tractor down the highway too, also legal :D

Shockingly enough no one ever got hurt either.

That whole "personal responsibility" thing that isn't allowed to be taught anymore.

arctictom
April 15, 2008, 08:50 PM
I was shooting bolt action center fire at 10 and hunting on my own,
(with a 22 and 410 ) at 11, And it was some what common here, I don't remember it being that big of an issue.
Paranoids and big city liberals seem to have a lot in common, IMHO.

bill.l.johnson
April 15, 2008, 10:11 PM
BB gun at about 8.
.22 rifle at 12, after firearms training with Scouts.
.410 for pheasants, in season hunted everyday after school.
At 17, got my M14,M79,M60 for a few years in the 60's.
Got away from owning guns after the Military for awhile, but always shot my friends guns for target practice.
But, five years ago I got BIT by the gun bug and have been adding to the inventory since.
SA XD40, S&W 22A, S&W 642, S&W 66-2, MN 91/30, Ruger 10/22, and my newest a fine Romanian SKS.
Think I am trying to make up for lost time. I forgot how much fun it was to shoot.
Also the infor from these boards has been a continuing education and a chance to meet some great and knowledgible gun enthsiasts.

Bill:)

QuakKillz
April 15, 2008, 10:23 PM
first bb gun....4

first pellet gun....9

first 22.....9

Stevie-Ray
April 15, 2008, 10:45 PM
I went straight from spring operated BB gun to .22 lever action and missed out on the pellet rifle stage that all my friends went through.Strange, both my BB and pellet rifles came after my first .22 rifle. Got my .22 at 12, the BB gun at 13, and the Sheridan at 14. The BB and pellet shooters were better for the tramping around up north and in the back yard. The .22 was serious medicine.:D

mpc12
April 15, 2008, 10:48 PM
I don't remember a time that i didn't carry a knife, and by 7 i was armed with a .22 when i was on the farm by myself doing work.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 15, 2008, 10:56 PM
Nope. Guns were for adults, only to be shot when handed to you and under direct supervision of the adult, and only on very rare occasions. Until I started buying guns on my own at age 15. Even then I didn't carry it. Of course, I didn't live on a farm either, but in the city.

Officers'Wife
April 15, 2008, 11:13 PM
Let me see, when I was 11 Dad gave me 'the talk.' To wit: girl, you are going to living around these things and for your own safety you need to learn how to handle them properly!

ishida
April 15, 2008, 11:19 PM
I was, and AM an armed child. BB gun-4 Pellet rifle-5 used .22-8
was actually given .22-13. 13-16 I have inherited almost all of the guns.

XD-40 Shooter
April 15, 2008, 11:19 PM
Yes, I was an armed child.:D I learned to shoot on a single shot 22 rifle when I was 9 years old. Prior to that, I had the usually bb guns and pellet pistols. During this time frame, I also got to shoot my dad's bigger guns, like 38 special and 9mm. I didn't actually carry a gun, but I was a shooter at a very young age.:D

fearless leader
April 15, 2008, 11:35 PM
At the age of 12, I was sent to a military academy where I was issued an M-14.

At the end of that year, I went to another and issued a 1903 Springfield at 13.

At 16 I was givin a 22 Marlin, which went everywhere my car did.

At 18, I was given a 12 ga. Sears version of a Winchester 140, which went everywhere my car did.

In 1982, I bought my first handgun. I would be one of a long list.

arflattop
April 15, 2008, 11:41 PM
I grew up 8 miles outside of Washington DC on the Virginia side. My parents gave me a .22 rifle for Christmas when I was 12 and enrolled me in the NRA safety course. I then took up target shooting in an NRA sponsored club. At age 13 my Grandmother gave me my Grandfathers WWI Colt .45acp. Both of these weapons and ammunition were under my control in a gunsafe in my bedroom. It was an act of faith by my parents, as no one in my family has any interest in firearms. I believe it's the maturity of the child, not the age.

frankcostanza
April 15, 2008, 11:43 PM
my mom wouldnt even let me have toy guns. when i was a kid and we would have neighborhood water gun fights, she would send me out with one of those plastic syrup bottles filled with water. :barf:

hunterSthompson
April 15, 2008, 11:44 PM
i got my first .22 cal Remington viper when i was 8-9 yrs old

junk gun but i love it all the same :)

moooose102
April 15, 2008, 11:48 PM
bb gun @ about 8, pellet gun @ around 12, got to shoot dad's 22 4 - 5 times a year till i was 14 or 15. then i bought my own gun, but i was not allowed to have the ammo until i was 16 or 17. once i turned 18, everything changed (for the better).

W.E.G.
April 15, 2008, 11:53 PM
Remember the first time you let the lever of one of these spring back on your fingers? :eek:

Age 9

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/Daisy%20Model%2096/DaisyModel96boxnarrowside-smaller.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/Daisy%20Model%2096/DaisyModel96rightside-smaller.jpg

Wish I still had my original "Grandaddy" BARLOW knife. I think I traded that knife for cigarettes or some such silly thing. There may have been some firecrackers as part of that deal too. I just can't remember for sure.

FourNineFoxtrot
April 16, 2008, 12:00 AM
Parents were anti-gun, but when I was ten they bought me a BB gun, probably because all my friends had them. I owned a swiss army knife from 8 years old, but didn't carry a knife until I was ten or so. I usually carried a cheap folder of some sort, and if it was cold enough for a coat, I'd carry a sheath knife in my inside coat pocket. Probably illegal, but living in a rural-ish area, I didn't much care.

Never carried a knife at school, as by the time I was going through Jr. High and High school, that was a call-the-cops, expulsion-worthy offense.

Because I couldn't carry a knife at school, I generally stopped wearing one from the time I got my driver's license, until I was 20 or so. Now I carry a folder any time I leave my apartment.

As for guns, I didn't own anything more powerful than a BB gun until I was 19, and moved out on my own. It's all been downhill from there.

Honestly, I could wish I'd had more exposure to guns growing up. My firearm experiences as a minor are limited to a single summer at boy scout camp when I was 12, shooting bolt-action .22s. Didn't touch a gun again for seven years, which left me with a lot of catching up to do.

AZ_Rebel
April 16, 2008, 12:06 AM
Had a .22 rifle when I was 12... a 1911 at 15... used to take the rifle to school on my bicycle - hang it on the coat rack during class then shoot blackbirds in the cornfields after school. My first job... Professional Hunter!

Horsesense
April 16, 2008, 12:52 AM
I got a H&R Toper JR .410 when I was 6 and had access to it at all times, along with my dads Remington Speed master .22, he didn't let me shoot the others until I was older.

At 12 or 13 I bought a new H&R 9 shot revolver for running traps, the H&R was $89 NIB and I don't remember anything about paper work...it was an old school hardware store and I guess the guy didn't fool with paperwork back in the early eighty's. BTW I payed with money I made taping and coon hunting, you could get $5 for a possum hide and $25 for a coon. If you had a good dog and some traps, you could live like a king (or so it seemed)

springmom
April 16, 2008, 01:01 AM
Nope. Dad had no guns at all in the house. Didn't think to bring home his service 1911 (he was an MP), but wishes now he had. (So do I).

Springmom

p2000sk
April 16, 2008, 01:53 AM
7th birthday received a Daisy Powerline 770 or 880.
Squirrels, select birds, tresspassing pets...

Eventually it was declared "you got a blown seal".
Then came the rimfires...

April 16, 2008, 04:57 AM
I used a BB-gun from about age 7... without adult supervision. :what:

I started shooting rifle matches at about age 10. I had a 22 rifle. I was what is now called a "latch key kid". I used to go home to an empty house, grab the rifle and a brick of ammo and shoot targets almost daily. We had a nice little range in the back yard. Again no adult supervision.

I shot on a rifle team during most of my high school years. I hunted when I was old enough to do so.

I started trying to shoot handguns in competition at about age 18. I say try because I wasn't a great handgunner. I didn't start to hone those skills until later in life when it became necessary to do so.

I grew up watching John Wayne movies and shows like Combat. Lots of gun play in the programs I watched. We would play war, cowboys and Indians, Eliot Ness. I seemed to always know the difference between TV/movies and real life. I seemed to always know that real guns were not toys and you needed to know the difference (except for a few times when we misguided played war with BB-guns :p ).

I also grew up with a Dad that wasn't into sparing the rod, so I knew what evils would befall me should I mishandle a gun.

Soap
April 16, 2008, 06:41 AM
I think I was 14 or 15 when I earned the right to shoot out back by myself.

Owner of:
Air pistol at 10 (was allowed to shoot this by myself right off the bat)
Ruger Single Six at 12
Remington 700 BDL .270 at 13
AR-15 at 15
Sig 228 at 15
etc. etc.

dispatch55126
April 16, 2008, 07:08 AM
I've had a .22 since I was 8. That and a Crossman kept the chipmunks and red squirrels in check around the farm.

jackstinson
April 16, 2008, 07:21 AM
Went straight from BB gun to .22 when I was given a Savage 22/410 for Christmas at age 12. Roamed the woods and fields with it for a couple of years, then bought myself an old Mossberg 44 bolt action with a scope. I taught myself to shoot. Mom didn't shoot and my dad wasn't around.
By age 16 I had three .22 rifles, a 12 ga shotgun, a milsurp 7.62x54 Nagant, and a couple of .22 handguns. It was a different world back then however. A kid could walk down the road with a rifle on his shoulder and no one would think anything about it.
Jack

LSCurrier
April 16, 2008, 07:27 AM
My father bought me my first rifle when I was 4 years old - it was my brothers 5th birthday and he figured I would cry if I didn't get a rifle also. He was right!!!! :eek:

I had access to my rifle and all of his other rifles and shotguns growing up as a kid, but knew not to use them improperly as it would get me a beating. My brother and I knew what lines not to cross.

Luke

achildofthesky
April 16, 2008, 07:34 AM
First gun a 16 guage double barrel shotgun ($40.00 of my lawn mowing $$) First rifle was a 30-06 at age 13 for deer hunting and that xmas I got a lyman reloading press & dies , bullets, powder, primers and reloading book. To heck with the dolls I said, "gimmee some ammo and lets go pop some 'chucks".

Patty

Dismantler
April 16, 2008, 07:41 AM
I started carrying a knife at the age of 12. I had it for self protection, not that I needed much of that in the small town that I grew up in. But somehow I got the idea that it was a rough and tumble world, and that I was responsible for my own protection.

I think that this was because I grew up watching shows like Tarzan, with Johnny Weissmuller, on Saturday mornings. Those were the days of genuine masculine role models for young boys to emulate. I saw a Tarzan cartoon DVD on a shelf, and in this PC world, he was not wearing a knife. Shame...

Walkalong
April 16, 2008, 07:41 AM
Knife, BB gun, .22 cal pellet gun. Did not consider it armed though. :)

JWarren
April 16, 2008, 07:43 AM
Yes, I was.

I got my first firearm at 7 years old. Obviously, I could not use it unless supervised.

Once my father was comfortable that he had taught me proper firearms safety, I was not supervised.

Well before I was 12 years old, I was going down to the dam on our land to shoot cottonmouth moccasins. I'd take a shotgun or rifle hunting as well.

I saved and got my first handgun (a Ruger Security Six .357 magnum) at 14 years old, and got my first AR-15 at 15 years old.

-- John

cpttango30
April 16, 2008, 07:44 AM
No farm or ranch (Thank God). But I had a Sheridan BLue streak that went everwhere with me unill I was allowed to carry my Rem 511-x. My friends were amazed that the 511x could make some of the shots it did. Then when we got old enough for a hunting lic. we were always with out shotguns if it was dove season.

Dr. Dickie
April 16, 2008, 07:45 AM
Shot .22s at camp. Had a BB gun. When I was in my teens, my brother got a 12ga shotgun, and we did a bit of hunting (16-18). That was about it. Not really armed. I think the only time my father ever shot a gun was in Army training, and even then (since he was a doctor) I don't know if he put more than a dozen rounds down range.

22-rimfire
April 16, 2008, 07:49 AM
I was never "armed" as a kid. We had access to firearms after about age 14. We shot at younger ages with adults. I owned two rifles by age 16 and they were under my direct control for use as I pleased. I never shot or owned a handgun until I was 21. I never carried as it is commonly viewed today although we could tote our rifles and shotguns as we pleased. We lived out in the country. Shooting firearms was a common un-ordinary part of our lives growing up.

1911 guy
April 16, 2008, 07:56 AM
Yep. Didn't have too many guns around, but they were there for the using. My first was a 20ga single shot about age ten, but I used a .22 bolt rifle for a while before. Carried Grandpas' .44-40 for a while as a young teen when there were a few armed robbers making waves for a few months. I think I was about thirteen or fourteen then.

Rebailey
April 16, 2008, 08:00 AM
My Dad would give me 1 cent for each rat that I killed around our chicken house. I got a Win. Model 67 single shot at age 7. The rats got wise so I started laying on the roof of the henhouse and shooting down when they would come out of their holes. Sometimes I would make 12 or 15 cents per week. The Western Auto was the only store in town that stocked guns. I hung around there for hours looking at his guns (and his two beautiful daughters.) I wish the kids now could have enjoyed those days!!!!!!

blkbrd666
April 16, 2008, 09:07 AM
Rebailey,

Holy smokes!...I haven't thought about Western Auto and Otasco for years until you mentioned that. I really miss those stores...as they were back in the 60's and 70's. Those, Sears and Ace were the place to go for guns and ammo!

GeezerwithGuns
April 16, 2008, 09:21 AM
I bought my first .22 when I was 11 years old (1958) in a hardware store in (of all places) California. Didn't even have to wait for a background check :barf:. By the time I was 13 I had two rifles and two shotguns with ammunition stored in my bedroom. Nobody thought anything about it. All of my friends owned guns and we would go out to the river bed to plink at cans or pop jack rabbits. Times were different :rolleyes:. My Boy Scout summer camp even had a shooting range! I think I still must have my Marksmanship Merit Badge somewhere.

I blame myself, in part, for where we are today for not standing up when the disarmament of America started in the late '60's. :banghead:

JohnL2
April 16, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hmm. I had a BB gun as a kid. But that was nothing compared to when I went over to my cousins house. It seemed like they had guns in every corner of the house. Shell casings in the drawer. No big deal, let's go out and play.
Pity if ever there was a break-in at their house. For the intruders that is. The amount of firepower they would've faced would have been staggering.

thunder173
April 16, 2008, 09:55 AM
Can't remember when there weren't firearms in our home,...or a knife in my pocket. We were taught to use,...and to respect both. Started shooting BB's probaly at about 6, and .22 rifles soon after,...and still have the very first shotgun I ever shot,....an old bolt action Mossberg ... in 410,...single shooter. Took my first deer with it,...and many a rabbit squirrel, and many many "pat's",....started shooting handguns with an old Iver Johnson of my dads. Bought my very first handgun at the age of 16,...a 4" blued Colt Python in .357, that went to Vietnam with me in early 68. My children have all learned to shoot at an early age,...as will my grandsons when they are ready to learn. I believe if you teach a youth what firearms are for, what they are capable of,...and to respect those abilities AND the dangers,...they will be responsible around firearms the rest of their lives. THAT is MY .02's worth.

Funderb
April 16, 2008, 10:01 AM
Yes, I did indeed have arms as a child.
Would have been hard to play baseball. :p

more seriously, I started shooting at 7.
It was an end of the week special my father and I did.
Loved it since.

Nikdfish
April 16, 2008, 10:06 AM
Pretty much from the time I could hold one. Regularly shooting .22 from 7 on. Got my first "personal" rifle at 13, shotgun at 16 and handgun at 18 with "personal" meaning it was mine to store, maintain, transport & use as I saw fit (based on training & guidelines I got from my elders). I think my grandfather gave me my first pocket knife at about age 6.

I can remember roaming the grand-parents property at age 10 with a .22 looking for ground-hogs, squirrels or rabbits, or just going over the ridge to "dead-dog hollow" where we had an extemporaneous shooting range set up.

As far as I know, most all my friends had at least some kind of firearm by age 16. I think it would have been unusual to find out that a buddy had never gone hunting or never fired a gun ...

Nick

JWF III
April 16, 2008, 10:15 AM
I did not grow up on a farm. I grew up in the suburbs of Atlanta. But from about the age of 10, I went home from school and shot .22's in the basement, and bows (compound hunting variety) in the backyard of 1 1/3 acre. Only rule I had in doing this was NO FRIENDS ALLOWED.

Looking on it now, some 20 years later and much more knowledge in the world about the ozone and such, it probably wasn't a good idea. A non-ventilated basement and shooting firearms doesn't go to well together. Add to that, no ear protection, and it's amazing if I end up with no serious problems from it.

But my dad always figured if that's what it took to keep me out of trouble. it was better than the other option.

Wyman

ashtxsniper
April 16, 2008, 10:56 AM
I have been shooting, hunting, and carrying guns by myself since the age of 10

April 16, 2008, 11:19 AM
Absolutely. And according to my girlfriend, I still am!

Deer Hunter
April 16, 2008, 11:24 AM
Remember the first time you let the lever of one of these spring back on your fingers?

I remember that day well... It was in January, 5 degree weather. No gloves. :(

First gun I ever shot was a .22. Sears mail-order cricket. single shot bolt action, but you had to manually cock it. Simply working the action did not cock it. I was probably six or so.

Was never hugely into guns. I liked knives and swords. It was probably my freshman year in high school that I got interested. But I was raised in a hunting family. I was expected to be able to hit deer-sized targets out to 300 yards at a young age.

El Barto
April 16, 2008, 11:26 AM
Yes. At age 10, my Dad gave me what was my grandfather's Ruger .22 single six and then at age 11 I got my H&R .410 single shot. These were mine, kept in my room.

lowracer
April 16, 2008, 11:34 AM
Dad owned a .bolt-action 22 rifle. He bought it at a hardware store back in the 60's. He'd let me and my brother take it out and plink in the woods with our friends from time to time when I was a teenager. Never got any instruction about gun safety and now that I think back on it, it's a wonder one of us didn't end up getting shot. When the time comes that my boy is old enough to handle a rifle we'll be going shooting together and he'll learn the safety rules first.

jamesb
April 16, 2008, 11:34 AM
I grew up in a semi-rural area that built up as I grew up. Got my first BB gun when I was 5 or 6 and a pellot rifle at 8 or 9. I was given my first .22 rifle at 12, .22 revolver at 13 and a 1911 at 15. We hunted and ran the fields on the weekends with BB and pellot guns al the time. It was never an issue. Kids took weeks off of school during deer season and teachers were fine with it. We kept our hunting stuff in our cars so we could go straight from class. My high school had a JROTC unit and the drill teams were in the hallways with demil 1903s and the rifle team shot pellot rifles in the gym. In college when I was in ROTC we rucked all over campus carring M-16s and even has a range in our building. I started shooting my grandfathers guns early and allways had access to them as a kid, it was never an issue.

romma
April 16, 2008, 11:40 AM
Toy guns were it. My mother had no problems with me shooting and playing with toy guns.

I only shot a real gun when I was 11 or 12 in the Boy Scouts.

MikeLD
April 16, 2008, 11:49 AM
Dad started me shooting a winchester 22 at about 5 and he gave it to me to keep in my room at age 8. He gave me my first shotgun at 12.

Cyclimus
April 16, 2008, 12:23 PM
I'm 25 now but lived in a fairly tolerant family. Had my first shotgun at 15 and had full access to my father's before that, so I'd say yes, I was an armed teenager at least.

Bud Tugly
April 16, 2008, 03:41 PM
BB gun at about age 8, .22 at about 11, first shotgun at about 14, and first deer rifle at about 16.

We used to sling our .22's over our shoulders and ride our bikes through town to shoot rats at the town dump. During hunting season I'd walk down the street with my shotgun over my shoulder to go grouse hunting in the woods. I've always carried a pocket knife everywhere all my life.

Times have sure changed.

3pairs12
April 16, 2008, 03:47 PM
I was an armed child. I started shooting about age 6. At age 8 I got a .410 for Christmas. By the age of 11 I had to feed the cows and horses. Also had to look for missing cows or broken fences. I had an ATC that had a gun rack on it and I would carry the .410 during warm weather in case of rattlers.

SsevenN
April 16, 2008, 04:16 PM
My mom didn't allow guns. Not real ones, Airsoft ones, BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns... Not even squirt guns... Bought a rifle at 18, and moved out.
Six years later....
HK91
HK USP 40
CZ 2075 RAMI
FN Five-seveN
Steyr M9-A1
Kahr CW9
Saiga .410

....In that order:D Still never shot a BB gun or Pellet gun, Shot alot of airsoft and maybe 2 different paintball guns..

jimbob86
April 16, 2008, 04:29 PM
Yep. It was not uncommon for my brother and I to shoot up more than a brick of .22s in a 3 day weekend visit to grandma and grandpa's. It was a target rich environment, full of grackles, english sparrows, rabbits, ground squirrels, and prairie dogs. Songbirds like robins, orioles, and cardinals were off limits, as Grandma liked them. The others were viewed as pests, and were shot on sight. My brother and i had our own .22s at age 8 and 10. No supervision, other than the sure knoledge that if you shot anything that you were not supposed to, one of the grandparents would take a plaster lath to your behind, sure as the sun rises in the east.......

shadowalker
April 16, 2008, 04:36 PM
I am from Alaska and grew up shooting BB guns, squirrel hunting in our back yard, etc. I had a 22 at an early age but mostly shot at ranges.

For my 18th birthday I received a Ruger P90.

Vern Humphrey
April 16, 2008, 04:51 PM
Yep. When I was about 15, my mother saw lights in our pasture. Dad wasn't home, so she handed me the .30-30 and told me to check it out.

I found some guys spreading cottonseed cake to attract cattle -- obviously preparatory to shooting one or two and wenching them into their truck.

The told me they'd whip my butt, I told them I'd blow their backbones out, and they backed away and left.

308win
April 16, 2008, 05:01 PM
Started with a BB gun when 4; got my first real gun (single shot .22) at 6

publiuss
April 16, 2008, 05:12 PM
Yes, got a 410 single shot when I was 9 and my grandfather took me every weekend af squirrel season hunting. When it wasn't season I would take a couple boxes of shells and go shoot blackbirds and sparrows all day. Next I bought or my dad with my money a Rem 552 Speedmaster at age 14 or 15. Then I got a FIE 22 single action at 15 or 16. Not very accurate and man that thing was unbelievably loud.

Chuhhuniban
April 16, 2008, 05:38 PM
I suppose I was an Armed Child. Never thought about it much. Got a Winchester slide-action .22 at the age of 9 which went in my bedroom closet with however much ammunition I had left from the last brick I talked my father out of. By 10, I had my grandfather's 250-3000 Savage 99 in there with it (for deer hunting) and by 11, a slide-action Remington 20-gauge (quail).

Fast forward to age sixteen. Grandfather in another state agreed to give me his old car. Would have to ride the train from home to his house to pick it up. The night before I left, my father handed me his Colt .38 revolver and twelve rounds of .38 Special. Told me to pack them in my suitcase (unloaded) on the train. Load and carry in the glove box on my 1,200-mile solo drive home. I had been trained in safe gun handling by my father and more by his two best friends, one a retired Cavalry officer and one a WW II Infantry NCO. All hunters. All three Special Deputies allowed to carry concealed. All intolerant of sloppy or unsafe gun handling and highly skilled at the art of verbal correction (I even got to do pushups). On my drive home, I stopped to visit the Cavalry officer and showed him my new (to me) car. He inspected it carefully, found the pistol in the glove compartment, inspected it even more carefully and then made me clean it (ever the trainee) before leaving. Then I drove two more days (no Interstate) to the house. Went to give my father his pistol back and he told me to keep it. He bought another one while I was gone 'cause he felt naked without it in his car. So it stayed in the glove box from then on until I sold it to buy a M1911 (sorry I did that, sell the .38, not buy the M1911, but my excuse is that I was 18 and I am going to stick to it).

Chuhhuniban
April 16, 2008, 05:52 PM
I found some guys spreading cottonseed cake to attract cattle -- obviously preparatory to shooting one or two and wenching them into their truck.

Yeah, we had some of that too. We had to quit feeding cottonseed cake though, too much of it and the calves went blind. I don't remember what it was in it that did that though.

shdwfx
April 16, 2008, 05:58 PM
First gun - Daisy BB pump-action for 7th Birthday.

First rifle - Ruger 10/22. I think I was 11 or 12. We were poor and I saved for several years. My folks paid me $2 / hour to help side our home for one fall of hard work, which is how I finally got enough to buy it. Took my first raccoon and squirrel that fall too.

It's rather humorous. Daddy never grew up with guns and is still afraid of them. But, Mama was a crack shot and trapper many years back and encouraged me in this hobby.

TexasRifleman
April 16, 2008, 06:06 PM
We had to quit feeding cottonseed cake though, too much of it and the calves went blind. I don't remember what it was in it that did that though.

Feeding cottonseed to calves too young can cause this. You're supposed to wait until the rumen is well formed before moving to cottonseed products.....

Ask me how I learned this the hard way lol. Try to save a buck and there ya go :)

andrewdl007
April 16, 2008, 06:12 PM
At age 8 or 10 (I cant remember and that was only 9-11 years ago) I was given a double barrel .410. I was given a 12 GA 11-87 for my 16th birthday I think. I was lucky enough to grow up in a part of California that was not completely antigun. Saddly it has sense become very anti, but I dont live there anymore.

AndrewGWU
April 16, 2008, 06:14 PM
Carried a stevens single shot .22 around while tromping the woods. Then my 10/22 and as I grew older a Ruger Mark I.

bluestarlizzard
April 16, 2008, 06:32 PM
i was a teen. i knew were the guns were and how to use several when i was pretty young, but i didn't get my first until i was about 15. living in the country can present trouble and ours was (at the time) a neighbor with the bad taste to allow her aggressive pit bulls to run. dad bought me a single shot .410 and a couple mounths later he got me a S&W m19, which was always kept loaded in my room. for awhile everybody in the area was walking around armed (cause of the pits) and i had my m19 straped to my hip all the time. i was maybe 16 when i used it to defend myself against those same pit bulls.

Cableguy
April 17, 2008, 11:39 PM
I am still carrying daily the SW39-2 I got when I was 16 btw it was NEW, prod 1978...

MD_Willington
April 18, 2008, 01:34 AM
I carried a baton made from a cut down pool cue in my book bag, had a lanyard made from braided boot laces...

Aw life in "non-violent" Canada...

koginam
April 18, 2008, 01:50 AM
I was raised by a grandfather who was a gunsmith, I had my own 22 at 6 and shot crows, robins and sea gulls out of the cherry orchard for 22 shells, I carried a 22 rifle, to shoot muskrats on my trap line, to school with me until 8th grade, when I got my first 22 pistol, I kept my rifle in my locker but had to put the pistol in the metal shop teachers desk.

yongxingfreesty
April 18, 2008, 01:54 AM
yeah, a .25acp baby browning and some .380acp ppk

only rifle i had was a beeman r1 (air rifle)

Owens
April 18, 2008, 06:31 AM
In my mind I was armed as soon as I had my first cap gun! Always wanted a BB gun, but wasn't allowed one. OTH, I was allowed to save for a .22. Figure that one out! (guess I was gonna shoot someones eye out?) Got that .22 when I was about 10 or 11. Had been using Dads Savage model 5 for a while by then. Have added considerably since then. Oh yeah....did get that BB gun last yea!

CajunBass
April 18, 2008, 08:10 AM
I got no idea when I got my first knife, but that wasn't "armed." It was just a knife. It was meant for whittling sticks, cutting fishing lines and building a log cabin or something. I would have no more ever thought of pulling a knife and using it as a weapon than I would have thought I could flap my arms and fly.

I got a BB gun when I was six or seven I guess. There were only a few rules. Don't shoot it in the house, don't shoot your sisters or anybody else, don't shoot any kind of animal. Now go have fun.

I lost that gun twice. I shot in the house one time. Guess what. Guns are always loaded. I lost it for a week.

Then I shot my sister with it. Did you know an empty cigarette pack won't stop a BB? BB went through the empty Pall Mall pack stuck between the cracks on the top of a pile of cinder blocks, and hit my kid sister in the back. She didn't say anything until she went in the house later. Then she screamed like she was being skinned alive. Delayed reaction pain. All my sisters had it. I lost it for a month that time. But I also learned another lesson. Make sure of your target, your backstop, and what's behind it.

Got my first shotgun, and Ithaca M-66 Super-single, when I was 13 or 14. Got the same basic training. Don't shoot anything you're not supposed to. Go have fun. Fired a few shot off the back porch, then went hunting. Hunting license? We don't need no stinking hunting license.

I bought my first gun for myself a few years later. My mother had to order it from the Sears-Roebuck catalog for me, but it was my money. I'd worked on a farm for $5.00 a day to pay for that Sears double-barrel 12 ga (Stevens 311). $79.95 IIRC. I can't remember if it came in the mail, or if a Sears truck delivered it. Probably a Sears truck. That must have been before 1968 so I would have been 15-16.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
April 18, 2008, 08:22 AM
First Daisy--Win 94 copy--at 5

Grandpa bought a Stevens single shot .22 at 6 ---kept at his house--but was mine--still have it.

Sheridan Blue Streak when I was 9---pellet gun with the power of a .22.

Age 11 saved B-day and Christmas money from my grandparents and used the money to buy a Win 190 complete with scope--at Walgreens no less.

Age 13 got a 870 Wingmaster 12ga. from my parents that Christmas.

No other firearms till I hit 24-25 or so and bought a Colt .357.

mainmech48
April 18, 2008, 11:03 AM
My father started teaching us about safe gun handling as soon as we were able to understand speech. In those pre-PC days, it was considered 'normal' to do so, and to reinforce the lessons in a non-verbal fashion when necessary.

I went along on my first hunting trip (Mountain Quail near Yrerka,CA/Mt. Shasta) with him and a cousin of my mother's at age 5. I had a 'cork gun', but was required to handle it as though it were 'real'.

Progressed to a Daisy BB gun at about 6, and the old Winchester single-shot .22 Dad had learned on shortly thereafter.

At 9 or 10, I used the same Iver Johnson Champion .410 he'd had as a boy to hunt quail and rabbits. Still have it, although it's been retired for some years now. Also started learning about handguns with his Colt OP .22 revolver.

Got my first personal weapon for my 12th BD, a Savage .410 BA. At that time, many of my friends and I would routinely ride our bikes out to the fringes to plink or hunt with our .22 or shotgun strapped across our back. Even when we travelled in a group, nobody seemed 'concerned' enough to call the police or sheriff. And the occasional Game Warden just checked our licenses and made sure that we had permission to be where we were.

I bought my first deer rifle, a 'sporterized' Long Branch No. 4 SMLE, when I was 17.

I wasn't until after I finished my obligatory military service that I started accumulating. I inherited my grandfather's Winchester M97 12 ga., bought a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington, a Marlin M57 and a Browning Nomad in .22 RF.

Jackal
April 18, 2008, 11:04 AM
Yup.

dgray64
April 18, 2008, 12:44 PM
Started hunting very young...rabbits and squirrels. I used my grandfathers double barrel 12 ga with light loads (it had double hammers and Damascus barrels). It took a lot to get the thing up and lined up, but after that it was all meat on the table. Finally graduated to an Ithica model 36 16 ga. Great gun. After that was a Winchester Model 12, Winchester 30-30. Had all of these until I got old (now) and acquired some more guns. Fun!

Dave :neener:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/dgray64/100_2435.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/dgray64/100_2434.jpg

Gunrnr
April 18, 2008, 09:08 PM
Great topic -- really shows the difference btwn just the past 2 - 3 generations. I'm in my mid-50s, grew up mostly in southern New Mexico, but the son of two New Yawkers (yeah, the city, not upper NY state). Dad liked his pump BB gun, Mom was afraid of anything that went bang. Despite that, I was able to fernagle permision to get a Crossman BB gun by 13. I put an Ithaca Saddlegun .22 LR on layaway at the Western Auto store when I was 14 and paid it off in just a couple of months.

In High School it was common to see rifle racks in kids' pickup trucks with a shotgun or a rifle or two. The school was only a couple of miles from the Rio Grande, where a lot of guys shot dove after school.

We had the normal fistfights and stuff, like any school, but never NEVER had any firearms incident ever. Now that I think about it, the only firearms incident I ever knew about throughout my childhood was when we lived in California for a short time in my 8th Grade year, a kid came to school with a .38 and wanted to kill an assistant principal. He was caught before he did.

abrink
April 18, 2008, 10:08 PM
I've been carrying automatic pistols since i was 13 years old (when legal and a few times when not)

tntwatt
April 18, 2008, 10:14 PM
Spent every summer on the grandparents farm. Was not only trusted but expected to keep rabbits,crows,etc... off the farm. I had a Marlin 22lr and my brother had a .410 pump shotgun. I think the earliest we were sent out alone, I was 8yo and he was 11yo. His first time he was around 8yo.

hank327
April 19, 2008, 03:49 PM
I suppose I was an armed child. I got a BB gun at a young age, 9 or 10 I suppose. At about age 12, I was allowed to take my father's Winchester Model 37 .410 single shot shotgun hunting. Although it was never formally given to me, that .410 was practically mine as I could use it whenever I wanted and my dad never used it himself.
For my 14th or 15th birthday, my dad took me to the gun shop and "bought" me a Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun. I put the word bought in " " as the money used to pay for the 870 was that which I had earned while working during my summer vacations. I kept that shotgun in my room and I could use it on my own whenever I wanted without adult supervision.

It was good growing up in the country. What I most wanted was a .22 rifle, but my dad wouldn't let me have one. He said a .22 bullet carried too far. When I was in high school during dove season, we often took our shotguns to school with us. We left them in our vehicles during class and stopped off at the milo fields for a little dove hunting on the way home after school.

Gaucho Gringo
April 19, 2008, 05:03 PM
I had guns and knives when I was growing up. I think I was about 9 when I first fired a .22 and on my 12th birthday I got my 1906 Winchester .22 rifle that I still have today. From that day on it was always in my closet. Always carried a knife with me but never caused any trouble with either them or my .22 . I knew better.

lonniemike
April 19, 2008, 07:50 PM
I wasn't farm raised but I have been to a number of them. I was raised in a small town in central FL in the 50,s. Not much in the way of material possession was given to me. But by doing lawns and other chores my father approved and mother begrudgenly allowed me to purchase firearms. My first was a 410 break action missing the ejector at age 8 for $7 from a local smith. At age 10, I bought a sporterized 7.62 Russian carbine(7.62X54 Finnish capture and redone by Interarmco) from Sears via mail order for just under $10. It came including 100 rounds of FMJ 180 grain 7.62R. More ammo was available through mail order at $3 per 100 rounds. Those were the days. Still ammo was to expense( I thought), so I got an original Lee Loader and other loading componets somewhere between 11 and 12 years of age. I shimmed American primers into berdan holes with tinfoil. Primer gas leaks encouraged me into buying expense Norma brass. At 14 I paid a whopping $75 for my first American centerfire, a M1 Garand, at a local auction. Shooting, buying, and reloading are some of my old hobbies that I still very much enjoy. I guess I got the bug from my older brother. He had a couple of 22,s and a double barreled 12 guage. I learned to like my 410. Unlike myself, his interest in firearms dropped off many years ago.

Smilin Jack
April 19, 2008, 08:27 PM
azhunter12

Help keep guns off of the streets and out of the hands of criminals! Buy them for yourself.

I've got 5 grandkids and enough guns for all of them. I got my son his first shotgun and rifle about a week after his birth and he's had to buy the rest himself.

Smilin Jack
western Oregon

Smilin Jack
April 19, 2008, 08:58 PM
Armed
I had pocket knives, BB guns, Benjamin 22cal, Remington bolt 22LR, 12ga single shot, 22LR Ruger Super Single-Six LONG barrel as a kid, and too many since getting older.
Wish I still had the Ruger Super Single-Six. Do still have the Benjamin and the old Remington bolt that was dad's. He got it during the depression for not much over $10 new.
We shot rats at the chicken coup and water rats (nutria) in the swamp. Started driving a John Deere D at age 6 on the rye grass farm south of Salem, OR back in the mid 50's.

It snowed an inch today while riding my old Honda CB250 to a friends' house ...and my boots did leak... oh well. Not spring yet, but did see three black bears last weekend while spring bear hunting on the south coast in unit 20.
Smilin Jack
Western Oregon

Dienekes
April 19, 2008, 10:24 PM
Heck, yes. Had a CCW permit at age 17.

I also went to a Catholic boys' boarding school for 4 years. Kept a Ruger .22 pistol in my desk in a tackle box with the full knowledge of the school and it was not even worthy of notice.

Along about the same time a production of some play or other was put on that required one of the kids to dress up as an MP. The kid went all out to do it right and came up with the full rig including a highly functional 1911. We all got to look it over and that was the day I decided I "had to get me one of those" too.

In other words a bunch of teenage boys were treated more like adults then than adults are today...

I guess "girlie men" missed out on that part of life.

If you enjoyed reading about "Were you an armed child?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!