rock island sight question

PDA

p89cajun
April 15, 2008, 09:11 PM
I want to add three dot sights on my rock island 1911. Is there a kind I could put without marring the finish. I know there are some that require you to get a dovetail cut for the front but I am about to refinish it with some allumahyde II and don't want to mess up the finish right after I put it on. Right now it just has the GI sights.

If you enjoyed reading about "rock island sight question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kansas45
April 15, 2008, 10:21 PM
I don't know..................cut the dovetails before you refinish?

The Lone Haranguer
April 15, 2008, 10:40 PM
Agreed, any machining you need to do should be done before refinishing.

Navy87Guy
April 15, 2008, 11:44 PM
I installed some King Gunworks 3-dot sights on my RIA(Here: http://www.kingsgunworks.com/sights.html -- #109). They fit in the existing slot/dovetail. I had to do a little filing on the rear sight dovetail to get it to fit the slide -- probably would have been easier if I'd had a milling machine to open up the dovetail a little bit.

Definitely install them before you refinish the gun though -- that's just inviting trouble!

Jim

Richard
April 16, 2008, 04:10 AM
Forget about the three dots. Why? Take a look at the King-Tappan Combat Sights, there is no better sight available. Are they that good? YOU BETCHA! Regards, Richard:)

If you enjoyed reading about "rock island sight question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!