Florida HB-503 signed by Gov. Crist today!

PDA

Braz1956
April 15, 2008, 10:10 PM
Scroll down to "bill history" to see the approval:
http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=37914&SessionId=57

If you enjoyed reading about "Florida HB-503 signed by Gov. Crist today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dmxx9900
April 15, 2008, 10:13 PM
Thats a good start all we need is Open carry then this state would be near perfect.
This state is very pro-gun and is on its way to being like Vermont or close to it.

Huddog
April 15, 2008, 10:20 PM
Good job Govenor and FL. Legislature. Now if Gov. Purdue will sign our new law things will be even better.

fearless leader
April 15, 2008, 11:58 PM
I have a lot of respect and admiration for our Governor. He works hard to make Florida a better place than it was when he took office. Of this I approve. This is better than the law we had, but it is a long way from the freedom we deserve.

It doesn't have much affect on me. It excludes sites under the Dept. of Homeland Security. Most of the places I work are under US Marshalls or US Coast Guard rule.:(

If I want to work at the Port of Jacksonville, I have to drive to one of the worst places in town to get to the port, which is one of the other worst places in town, unarmed.:scrutiny:

I understand this only applies to persons with a carry permit, as well.

At least the place I'm currently working is not a DHS regulated site, so far.

For the last 2+ years, I would have to drive 2 hours to work, unarmed, only to arrive at work and strap on a gun. Go figure. :banghead: Am I alone here, or does this make no sense? They can trust me with a gun at work, but not on the road?:confused:

To add insult to injury, I am forbidden to carry spare ammo, or a personal weapon with which I am familiar. The weapon I carry at work has never been fired by me. I don't know where it hits, or IF IT WORKS! I carry 6 rounds of the ammo dropped by the Army for not stopping the Moros of the Philipines (lead round nose .38 special) and most likely to riccochet and overpenetrate.

At least now, I know I can't be fired for the AR 15 in the trunk, and the Glock 23 under the seat.;)

MarkDido
April 16, 2008, 02:05 AM
I'm not seeing the provision that this only applies to CCW holders in the Summary:

SUMMARY ANALYSIS
The bill creates “The Preservation and Protection Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Motor Vehicles Act of 2008.” The bill provides
that no public or private entity may prohibit any customer, employee1 or invitee from possessing any legally owned firearm
locked inside, or locked to, a private motor vehicle in a parking lot if the person is lawfully in such area. The bill further prohibits
public or private entities from violating the privacy rights of said persons by verbal or written inquiry regarding the presence of a
firearm inside a private motor vehicle in a parking lot or by an actual search of the private motor vehicle in the parking lot to
ascertain the presence of a firearm. The bill prohibits the public or private entity from taking action against the person based
upon verbal or written statements and requires any searches of the vehicle to be conducted by on-duty law enforcement
personnel. The search must be based upon due process and comply with constitutional protections.
Employers are prohibited from conditioning employment upon either an employee’s or a prospective employee’s holding or not
holding a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm, or any agreement by an employee or a prospective employee that
prohibits an employee from keeping a legal firearm locked inside a motor vehicle when the firearm is kept for lawful purposes.
Additionally, an employer cannot prevent or prohibit an employee, customer, or invitee from entering the parking lot of the
employer’s place of business because the person’s motor vehicle contains a legal firearm, which is out of sight within his/her
vehicle. Neither may an employer terminate the employment of, or discriminate against, an employee or expel a customer or
invitee when the person is exercising his/her right to keep and bear arms or for exercising the right of self-defense as long as the
firearm is not exhibited on company property for any reason other than lawful defensive purposes.
The provisions of this act do not apply to:
• Property owned or leased by an employer or the landlord of an employer upon which activities involving national
defense, aerospace, or domestic security are conducted;
• Property owned or leased by an employer or the landlord of an employer upon which the primary business involves the
manufacture, use, storage, or transportation of combustible or explosive materials regulated under state or federal law;
• A motor vehicle owned, leased, or rented by an employer or the landlord of an employer;
• Any other property owned or leased by an employer or the landlord of an employer upon which possession of a firearm
or other legal product is prohibited pursuant to any federal or state law on the effective date of this act;
• Any school property as defined and regulated under s. 790.115, F.S.; or
• Any state correctional institution regulated under s. 944.47, F.S.
The bill provides for immunity from liability for employers under certain conditions and provides for enforcement by the Attorney
General.
The bill appears to have an insignificant fiscal impact on state or local governments. The bill takes effect upon becoming law
and applies to causes of action accruing on or after that date.

Dave P
April 16, 2008, 09:02 AM
Way to go, Charlie! Chalk one more up for the good guys!

USMC 1975
April 16, 2008, 09:27 AM
I have been pretty impressed with Crist. He has taken on the insurance industry and now the Brady Bunch, Chamber of Commerce and others.

He strikes me as being a common sense type of guy who really could care less what the special interests think. He seems to govern from the side of common sense. That is rare today in our country.

The thing that flames me to no end is the drive by media which has failed to mention in most of their news reports that these guns are legally owned and legally carried and are locked inside a car in the parking lot. They seem to always demonize gun owners and make it sound as if we are all law breaking jerks.

It was a good bill and I am glad its now law.

Chris

Bones11b
April 16, 2008, 09:30 AM
Great news. Now if we get open carry I wont have to move to Arizona.

Pete409
April 16, 2008, 10:30 AM
The new law applies ONLY to those people who have CCW licenses. If you don't have a CCW license, you can't keep a gun in your car at work if the workplace owner prohibits it.

The good news is that CCW licenses are relatively easy to obtain for law abiding citizens in Florida.

fiVe
April 16, 2008, 10:44 AM
This is good news! Thank you, Mr. Governor and FL Legislature!

solive
April 16, 2008, 10:56 AM
This is great news I am glad to here he signed it! As others have posted with a few more changes to our gun laws we are well on our way to being one of the best Pro gun states.

scurtis_34471
April 16, 2008, 12:38 PM
I just read the full body of the law and it looks like the CCW amendment got stripped out. The only mention of CCW is that employers cannot discriminate based on an employee's license status.

Pete409
April 16, 2008, 02:31 PM
I just read the full body of the law and it looks like the CCW amendment got stripped out. The only mention of CCW is that employers cannot discriminate based on an employee's license status.

I hope you are right. My understanding is that they tried to pass this law last year with the provision that the law applied to ALL law-abiding citizens, but they were unsuccessful.

This year, in order to gain more support from some of the legislators in the middle, they agreed that the law would apply ONLY to those who had a CCW license. By making this compromise, they were able to gain enough support to pass the legislation.

Of course, I guess it's possible that someone "forgot" to put that clause in the actual legislation. :D

eric.cartman
April 16, 2008, 03:02 PM
too bad the law take effect in july, and chamber of commerce already filed a lawsuit against it :uhoh:

VonFireball
April 16, 2008, 03:47 PM
I can't tell whether this applies to non CCW citizens of Florida, or only those who have the CCW.

I've read it both ways.

http://www.sheriff-okaloosa.org/Press%20Releases%202007/cc062007.htm

From the website:

Quote "To be legal, the firearm must be “securely encased” or “not available for immediate use.” “Securely encased” means in a closed zipper or Velcro pouch, in a snapped holster, or in some other closed compartment. In the glovebox or center console is “securely encased” and therefore legal, as long as the compartment is closed. If you open the closed compartment to retrieve your license or for any other reason, you might now have an illegal concealed firearm. Another way a gun in the car can be legal is to be “not available for immediate use.” For example, a shotgun in a rack in the rear window of a pickup truck would be very difficult for the driver or passenger to quickly use. "

That makes it seem as though it would be ok even without the CCW. Anyone have any more info on this?

MarkDido
April 16, 2008, 05:00 PM
I can't find the actual text of the signed bill, but I did find this. Apparently the CCW requirement ONLY applies for employees of a business, not customers, etc.

Self-Defense Legislation, HB 503 Amended & Passed Out of Council

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Date: March 13, 2008
To: USF & NRA Member and Friends
USF Executive Director
NRA Past President

House Bill 503 by Representative Greg Evers (R-Milton) was heard by the House Environment & Natural Resources Council yesterday and was amended with a substitute bill by the Council - and then passed by a vote of 11 to 6.

The substitute bill is identical to the original bill except that it requires an EMPLOYEE, who keeps a firearm in a private vehicle in the business parking lot while at work, to have a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm (CCW). The requirement of a CCW license DOES NOT apply to customers or invitees who park in the business parking lot. It only applies to employees.

We did not support this change to the bill. Legislators were trying to accommodate the business lobbyists BUT, as in previous attempts to find middle ground, the lobbyists for big corporations still oppose everything and are only interested in absolute power and control over what lawful products can be kept in private vehicles in parking lots.

The new language clearly discriminates against employees who exercise constitutional and statutory rights. Below is a link to a news article on yesterdayís actions. CONTRARY to what the article says, a CCW is ONLY required for employees and not for customers and invitees who park in business parking lots.

In other words, if the bill passed in the current form, Disney, Publix, McDonalds or any anti-gun business could not prohibit customers or invitees from having firearms locked in their private vehicles in parking lots while they shop or conduct business, but they can prohibit employees from exercising the same right unless the employee has a CCW.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/state/article415034.ece

Please continue to check http://www.NRAILA.org for updates on Floridaís Right-to-Self-Defense legislation.

Winchester 73
April 16, 2008, 06:12 PM
I can't find the actual text of the signed bill, but I did find this. Apparently the CCW requirement ONLY applies for employees of a business, not customers, etc.

This is correct.Only the employees of a business.
That is all.

Mark whiz
April 16, 2008, 07:05 PM
Charlie is a good guy - he was my State Representative when I lived there.
Make sure you keep him around.

rugerman07
April 16, 2008, 07:08 PM
I wish we had this in Illinois.

CZ-100
April 16, 2008, 07:10 PM
Unfortuantly it does nothing for me.. One of the exclusions is company's involved in Aerospace or National defense, and since I work for an Aerospace company's Im out of luck.

But on the PLUS side, the company I work for allows you to leave you firearm (unloaded) at the guard shack (receipt given) upon entering the site and pick it up when you leave.

Better than nothing

k_dawg
April 16, 2008, 08:18 PM
It is already legal for anyone who can legally own a firearm, to have it "securely encased" in their vehicle. Even parked on private property. (*)

This only prevents a company from firing the employee over it.

(*) there are a few areas off limits, such as military bases, etc.

Guitargod1985
April 16, 2008, 09:36 PM
Great news. Now if we get open carry I wont have to move to Arizona.

Ditto. Oh, plus destructive devices.

Guitargod1985
April 16, 2008, 09:37 PM
If you don't have a CCW license, you can't keep a gun in your car at work if the workplace owner prohibits it.

Uh, yeah you can. But you can be fired for it.

Coyote Blue
April 16, 2008, 09:58 PM
Uh, yeah you can. But you can be fired for it.

Right on.All hail Florida's at will law.
Probably,the most restrictive of the 50 states.
I think I'm going to be sick.

Dan Forrester
April 16, 2008, 10:52 PM
Ditto. Oh, plus destructive devices.

What about them. Perfectly legal in this state. Iím the proud owner of one already.

Dan

Robert Hairless
April 17, 2008, 12:31 AM
I've been e-mailing Florida legislators about these bills each time one came up for consideration. This news is very good indeed. I applaud Gov. Crist for signing the bill despite pressure to not do so, the Florida legislators who voted for the bill despite similar pressures, and everyone who worked hard and patiently to prevail.

I'm sure it must be disappointing that some people don't directly benefit from this bill as it was enacted into law. But join the celebration for movement forward instead of movement backward. It shows that patience and hard work over time can pay off. Let's continue to move forward.

Guitargod1985
April 17, 2008, 01:31 AM
What about them. Perfectly legal in this state. Iím the proud owner of one already.

No kidding?

If you enjoyed reading about "Florida HB-503 signed by Gov. Crist today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!