Where to find all copper SWC...

PDA

Double Naught Spy
August 14, 2003, 03:08 AM
Does anyone know of a maker for solid copper SWC slugs for .45 acp?

I am aware of Taurus hollowpoints in copper and frangible copper ammo. Like frangible copper ammo, I want a round that will not introduce lead into an indoor range, but unlike it, one that will hole punch nicely on paper targets.

If not copper, suggestions for SWC in metals other than lead may work out fine as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where to find all copper SWC..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zeke
August 14, 2003, 07:25 AM
Believe Speer still makes 185 and 200 gn swc tmj's for the 45 acp. These are jacketed, not plated. The 200 grainer has a part # 4475, and the price used to be comparable to regular jhp's. These used to be (and still may be) available in the aluminum Blazer series. The factory loading of these is quite accurate.

Big Daddy
August 14, 2003, 09:56 AM
Hornady makes a nice TMJ SWC. They call it the JSWC-CT. Jacketed Semi Wadcutter Combat Target. I get mine in bulk from www.tntreloading.com
It is fully enclosed so there is no exposed lead.

gobabygo
August 14, 2003, 05:52 PM
I think Big Daddy is looking for an ALL copper bullet. I'm pretty sure these TMJ bullets still have lead cores. I would think that once the bullet hits the backstop the jacket and the core will separate and some of the lead will vaporize, thus still introducing lead into the air.

www.westcoastbullet.com makes lead-free frangible bullets. I think they're only flat point not SWC though.

Big Daddy
August 14, 2003, 06:10 PM
Double Naught Spy is looking for the all copper SWC, I was just posting info.

To my knowledge there are not any solid copper SWC bullets available. Frangible could be an option but all frangible bullets are considerably less in weight than normal bullets.

In reference to the Hornady JWC-CT and jacket separation, I have fired them at 950fps into an angled piece of 1/2" plate steel and recovered the bullets. They deform but I have never seen one separate. Speer's 185g & 200g TMJ SWC bullets are electro-bonded to the core and I doubt they would separate either. Besides, it's the lead in the air from the buring of the bullet that is the real risk factor, not broken up lead bullets 25 yards away.

gobabygo
August 14, 2003, 06:30 PM
Oops, wrong person.

I'm a little surprised that the jacket stays intact, but I suppose that's because you were shooting at an angled plate. Your experience is going to be similar to an indoor range since it will also have an angled backstop.

My only experience with recovered bullets has been shooting the Steel Challenge (plates aren't angled) and the bullets come apart completely.

And as long at the range has adequate ventilation and backstop, you're right, the lead from the bullet isn't a problem at that distance. If that's the case though, then you could use any totally jacketed bullet to avoid all lead exposure (except for the guys shooting next to you).

JoeHatley
August 14, 2003, 08:02 PM
DNS,

The regular copper washed Rainier 200 grain SWC will meet your criteria. I get mine from www.midwayusa.com They are inexpensive, accurate, clean, and punch nice holes. Great for indoor ranges.

Good Luck...

Joe

Double Naught Spy
August 15, 2003, 02:16 PM
I thank y'all for the help. Sure enough, if the range had adequate ventilation then using lead, fmj, or tmj would not be an issue. Unfortunately, the range is a private one (coverted out building) and while it does have pretty good ventilation with all the side doors open for fair weather shooting, not nearly enough air is moved by the exhaust vents for shooting during cold or bad weather when the doors would all be closed.

I'll check the sources y'all provided to see if I can find bullets to match the needs. In the mean time, if any of you hear of a source or a custom bullet maker who could do then, that would be appreciated. So far, I have only come across one custom bullet maker who makes all copper rounds, but they are for larger bore rifles only.

M2HMGHB
August 15, 2003, 09:05 PM
Don't forget that primers generally contain lead. Just FYI.

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "Where to find all copper SWC..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!