New Personal Defense Television Episodes?

PDA

Mr. Designer
April 16, 2008, 03:56 PM
Anyone know when new episodes of Personal Defense Television will air?

If you enjoyed reading about "New Personal Defense Television Episodes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SsevenN
April 16, 2008, 04:12 PM
I don't even know what that show is. But I can guess what its about....:p

threefeathers
April 16, 2008, 07:40 PM
I get it on Wednesday's and have most taped. Wouldn't miss it.

arflattop
April 16, 2008, 07:44 PM
It's been replaced the last two weeks with "Cowboys" -- and tonights listing on DishNet shows the same. I'd be happy to just see re-runs of PD TV!!

Kind of Blued
April 16, 2008, 11:21 PM
Man, I miss my DVR at my old house... :(

I used to work wednesday nights, while all of my gun shows were on TV. My buddies and our friends knew that wednesday night was "Matt's Night" cleaning his guns, watching all of the new gun shows, and enjoying a liter and a half of Belgian ale.

Shooting USA
Personal Defense TV
Shooting Gallery w/ Michael Bane
Sighting In with Shooting USA
I love 'em. :)

Dksimon
April 16, 2008, 11:22 PM
Atleast you guys have TV. I live in a dorm and they charge an obscene ammount for cable.

primlantah
April 17, 2008, 05:08 PM
***? what network are these shows on? i live in a liberal city...they must filter this stuff out of my coaxial.:fire:

Marion Cobretti
April 17, 2008, 05:14 PM
Wednesday night, Outdoor Channel

CBS220
April 17, 2008, 05:26 PM
Also have American Rifleman, Guns & Ammo TV, Cowboys, Shooting Gallery, and Shooting USA wednesdays on the Outdoor channel (153 for you DishTV folks). Not standard package, I don't think, but it's a good channel to buy...

camacho
April 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
The season is over. Tom Gresham is filming the new season which will start in the fall.

Acera
April 17, 2008, 10:57 PM
Maybe someone could ask Tom, he is an active member of this board. He might be able to let us know some of the new content also.

tuckerdog1
April 17, 2008, 11:02 PM
Around here, it moved from Wed on Outdoor channel to Thurs on the Sportsman channel. So far, all reruns. But I like watching again:p

Tuckerdog1

Catherine
April 18, 2008, 12:01 AM
Are any of these shows available for 'rent' at a local or nationwide video store?

I have lived with and withOUT the boob tube on purpose throughout my life. I get a VERY scrambled picture/sound from the University of Montana for PBS. I get my local and national news off of the internet. You can't get free local tv due to the mountain ranges here. I could not get it in the Sapphire Mountains either but I did have XM Radio at the time.

However... I do rent a new movie for 99 cents overnight or an older one for the same price for a week. This show looks like something that would interest me.

If any of you know if it is available for rent or may be for rent down the road... please post it here.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Catherine

CGT
April 18, 2008, 05:22 AM

The season is over. The Outdoor Channel runs programming on a quarterly schedule. (Jan-Mar) (Apr-Jun) etc. Usually a show will run for 1 quarter and then the next quarter will be repeats. It's on hiatus this quarter. I'm guessing we will probably see new shows in the Jul-Sept quarter or Oct-Dec if it is renewed.

Are any of these shows available for 'rent' at a local or nationwide video store?

I don't know about anywhere to rent them, but you can buy individual episodes or whole seasons through the Outdoor Channel on DVD.

LegalAlien
April 18, 2008, 12:37 PM
Catherine
I get my local and national news off of the internet

You can access Outdoor Channel online as well:-
http://www.outdoorchannel.com/

Pretty good quality - but i guess you would need broadband to pick up the video feeds from it.

jason10mm
April 18, 2008, 02:15 PM
I wish the outdoor channel would properly code the shows. On my comcast DVR it records ALL those shows. So come thursday evening I have about 9 HOURS of those shows plus repeats :) Guess I'd rather delete the duplicate recordings than miss them though.

I think I have heard Tom mention PD DVDs on his radio show. A quick search of Blockbuster on-line does not reveal PD, Shooting Gallery, G&A, etc on there. So if DVDs exist, they are not out in the rental market, at least not yet.

RoadkingLarry
April 18, 2008, 02:21 PM
If you need a Tom Gresham or Clint Smith "fix" check out http://www.guntalk.tv/site.php

It is mostly a subscription site but there are lots of good free stuf available to watch as well. with new stuff being added all the time.

Guntalk
May 11, 2008, 11:08 AM
Actually, www.guntalk.tv is now mostly a free site. No registration required.

As for Personal Defense TV.

What it is? A weekly TV series where we go to shooting schools (okay . . . gunfighting schools) such as Thunder Ranch and Gunsite, to explore WHAT people need to know and HOW the top instructors teach. I'm the designated dummy, asking the dumb questions. Type casting, obviously. <grin>

The show runs on the Outdoor channel from October through March. It is off the air April through September.

We have already taped a bunch of segments at Gunsite for the upcoming third season. Last week I was in Oregon, at Thunder Ranch, taping several segments, and also shooting the "Skills Drill" segments that Clint Smith does each week. This year, they are all about concealed carry.

The first season of PDTV is out on DVD, and the second season should be out any day.

Not personal defense, but last Thursday I hiked the ridge above Clint's place with him and his lovely wife, Heidi, shooting some long-range stuff with one of Clint's rifles. My longest hit was 916 yards with the .308. THAT was fun! Not for PDTV. Kinda hard to convince the grand jury of the need to take that shot. But, it's a fun skill to develop.

zenner22
May 17, 2008, 11:53 AM
I have both seasons of Personal Defense TV on dvd, it is a fantastic show. I've watched both seasons multiple time, there is a wealth of valuable information on those discs. I am very glad a third season is coming. I tell everyone I can about Personal Defense TV, it's that good. Even if you've never seen it before, the $35 or so for a full season is more than worth it. You will not regret the purchase.

PS - I say all this and I'm not even related to Tom!

ccd
May 17, 2008, 10:40 PM
The next season of Personal Defense TV will not be on Outdoor Channel. They have deep-sixed all of Primedia's shows. Maybe this fall willbe last time though.

http://www.downrange.tv/artman2/publish/industry/182.shtml

CalebJns
May 17, 2008, 10:48 PM
ch. 606 on DirecTV...had to sacrifice each month ($.99 I think) to subscribe...but like the others I enjoy my Thursday afternoons, and evenings...great shows!!! Great Information as well! Thanks Tom!

Guntalk
May 17, 2008, 11:21 PM
Actually, Intermedia informed Outdoor Channel that it would not be renewing its contracts with the channel, and would be taking its 10 shows to the Sportsman's Channel.

After Outdoor Channel was informed that Intermedia was not renewing the contracts, the channel decided to put put out a release saying it was dumping the shows.

The Outdoor Channel has been severely battered in the industry over the last two days over this, and openly laughed at. The idea that the channel would dump 10 shows, five of which are in the top 10 rated shows on the network, defies belief.

This is how Jim Shepherd at the Shooting Wire put it:

The quiet, and normally civilized outdoor television business got particularly nasty yesterday as what had been a long-standing partnership between the Outdoor Channel and InterMedia Outdoors ended - with a bang.

Yesterday afternoon, Outdoor Channel officials issued a release announcing "its continued efforts to upgrade programming." In particular, the release ballyhooed the addition of several "best-in-class shows" including "Bill Dance Saltwater," "Fly Fishing the World," "Savage Wild," "Monster Fish," "The Catch" and others.

The somewhat innocuous release then announced several deals to make the OC the official home of shows from Safari Club International, Pheasants Forever, and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.

"As the leader in outdoor TV we have placed enormous emphasis on programming quality. We have made tremendous strides, which we believe are evident in our ratings growth," Roger Werner, President and CEO of Outdoor Channel said in the release.

He continued with the now-requisite explanation that the decision was part of a "quest to acquire the best content in the genre," announcing "we will be dropping some shows, as we only have room for the highest quality shows with the best ratings."

Then the bomb.

According to the release, the Outdoor Channel had decided not to renew ten InterMedia programs.

The shows included:"Guns & Ammo Television," "Guns & Ammo Television Classics," "In-Fisherman Television," "In-Fisherman Critical Concepts," "North American Whitetail Television," "Bowhunter Magazine TV," "Personal Defense TV," "Shallow Water Angler," "In-Fisherman Professional Walleye Trail" and "Petersen's Hunting ADVENTURE Television."

Without making any further comment, Werner fired off what may have been an ill-advised shot designed to "spin" what I have been told was, in fact, an InterMedia Outdoors decision not to renew their programming arrangements with the OC.

In fact, I've learned, the story wasn't even supposed to be announced until next week.

Now, what everyone probably had hoped would be one of those deals handled quietly between the involved parties has escalated into what could become a very public fight.

Early yesterday evening, InterMedia Outdoors released its own statement on the decision, saying that the "parent company of The Sportsman Channel (TSC), today announced that it chose not to renew its programming agreements with The Outdoor Channel (TOC), in order to shift its highly-rated and award-winning television shows to The Sportsman Channel. IMO will also increase its commitment of resources to TSC, integrating new and upgraded programming and content from IMO's vast market-leading properties, which extend across print, television, radio and online mediums."

The important phrase in this is "parent company of The Sportsman Channel". In 2006 InterMedia Outdoors acquired The Sportsman Channel from founder Michael Cooley.

Prior to that acquisition, The Sportsman Channel, although remaining faithful to its promise of nothing but programming for sportsmen, had languished, unable to gain that all-important carriage inside the highly competitive cable television industry.

That inability to achieve penetration meant The Sportsman Channel had found itself busy in a battle for survival rather than going head-to-head with the Outdoor Channel in a content fight.

Now it seems, the battle will be joined. And it looks like it will be for keeps.

"We are going to build The Sportsman Channel into the leading outdoor network, both in distribution and ratings," said InterMedia Outdoors CEO Jeff Paro "and shifting all of our programming to TSC is a major first step in that direction. We have led in every Outdoors category we have entered-magazine, internet, and television production-and now we will lead in networks,"

"No other channel in the Outdoors category has ever had this kind of promotional strength behind it. We will actively and aggressively program TSC with hunting, shooting and fishing content, with a focus on high-quality original programming, production of our own shows, and partnerships with producers. TSC will be a better network for the consumer and a better value for the distributor."

In one shot, InterMedia Outdoors has announced to the television industry that it not only intends to become the major player in outdoor television, it is quite willing to hammer its former partner in a very public manner.

This single business decision pulled a significant chunk of what had formerly been the Outdoor Channel's highest-rated programming along with a chunk of revenue. It may also have awakened some of the Outdoor Channel's observers on Wall Street.

If nothing else, it draws much-needed attention ľand instantly increased credibility - to The Sportsman Channel.

The back story on the whole deal may one day be that, without the issuance of what may become a very ill-advised press release, the whole deal might have been done quietly and with some civility.

Instead, it looks like it will be a very nasty battle, probably with a winner-take-all outcome.

As always, we'll keep you posted.

ccd
May 17, 2008, 11:32 PM
Is The Sportsman Channel going to get back on Dish Network? I am forced to listen to your radio show via podcast, any advance notice of who you are going to have as guests tomorrow?

CalebJns
May 17, 2008, 11:37 PM
Tom,

Is TSC on DirecTV? I was looking through my channels and can't seem to locate it...do you know?

Guntalk
May 17, 2008, 11:54 PM
Sportsman's Channel is not on either satellite network right now. IMO (Intermedia Outdoors) is in negotiations to greatly expand distribution, including satellite networks.

I expect there will be a series of announcements about new distribution.

Note, also, that is not something that happens right away. The contracts for the IMO shows on Outdoor Channel run for as much as a couple of years, I think.

PDTV will be on the air in October, on Sportsman's Channel, and possibly on other channels.

CalebJns
May 17, 2008, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the information Tom...I will be looking for TSC to come to satellite in the future (hopefully)! Thanks again for all of your great teaching and information! Stay safe, and shoot even straighter!

BB93YJ
May 18, 2008, 12:31 AM
I bet ol' Buzzard Massey's spinning is his grave... What're they doing to "the Outdoor Channel"??? Dang.

(He founded The Outdoor Channel, ...Gold gold gold gold gold gold fe-vah-vah vah...):D

brighamr
May 18, 2008, 10:38 AM
The Sportsman Channel -- anyone know their stock acronym? :D

Guntalk
May 18, 2008, 09:20 PM
Sportsman's Channel is owned by Intermedia.

ilbob
May 19, 2008, 10:26 AM
PDTV will be on the air in October, on Sportsman's Channel, and possibly on other channels.I don't think i get that channel. Will have to start bugging comcast about it.

<added> It appears I do have it. Just nothing on that channel I ever watched. Now I will have a reaon to watch that channel.

EvelynLogan
July 16, 2008, 10:56 AM
I have been trying to find out where I can buy Season 2 of PD TV ever since Mas Ayoob told me it had just been released. It doesn't appear to be sold through the Outdoor Channel, so any suggestions?

Guntalk
July 16, 2008, 11:20 AM
You can get Season Two of PDTV here.

https://store.intermediaoutdoors.com/shop/Default.aspx

By the way, PDTV this fall will be on Sportsman Channel, Pursuit Channel, and Fox Sports SW. (At least, I think it's the SW package.)

EvelynLogan
July 16, 2008, 11:23 AM
Thank you! I'll order it right now. ~el

jmacphee
November 4, 2008, 12:39 PM
I received a direct mail piece about a new Personal Defense TV DVD: Out and About. It looks to me like a repackage of Seasons 1 and 2. Since I already own these, does anyone (Tom?) know if the new DVD offer any new material? BTW, after 3 seasons of PDTV, I think it's time for an "outtakes" DVD.

Thanks for any input.

Joe

Guntalk
November 4, 2008, 05:56 PM
It's a repackage of what was shot for the TV show.

No outtakes. We don't make mistakes.

<grin>

mitchg
December 10, 2008, 08:45 AM
I'm pretty bummed that my cable company (Cablevision) doesn't have any of the channels that carry PDTV. I don't wish to switch back to Satellite nor wait for a DVD release in a year (or more). I wish that you would list them for sale in iTunes!

trailgator
December 10, 2008, 09:59 AM
I watched PDTV on the Pursuit Channel (DirectTv channel 608) last Thursday at 9:00 p.m. CST. Just stumbled across it.

Remander
December 12, 2008, 02:13 AM
Just checked. Looks like I get Sportsman's Channel on Comcast cable. Listed on the guide as "Sports".

Not noticed it before.

Will have to look for my shows on there. Saw a G&A episode coming on tonight.

dafitch
December 12, 2008, 06:35 AM
Doesn't G&A's parent company now somehow own the Sportsman Channel?

I get both TSC and TOC, but just want to make sure I still see the shows!

Vertigo
December 12, 2008, 08:46 AM
@Kind of Blued:

enjoying a liter and a half of Belgian ale.

+ 1 !!!

at last someone with taste :p

V.

actaylor
December 12, 2008, 09:20 AM
I have written several times to DirectTV to try to convince them to carry the Sportsman's Channel. No luck so far. If anyone else wants to try to apply some heat, they may eventually pay attention to their subscribers...especially if Intermedia is in discussions with them.

Guntalk
December 16, 2008, 12:57 PM
Looks like it will happen in January.

http://tinyurl.com/6h3tbt

NEW YORK, Dec. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- The Sportsman Channel (TSC) announced today that it has reached a distribution agreement with DIRECTV that will make the network available to DIRECTV customers by the end of January 2009. TSC will be available in the CHOICE XTRA(TM) package. The Sportsman Channel is owned and operated by InterMedia Outdoors, Inc. (IMO), the largest media company in the outdoor-enthusiast category.

"We are excited to be launching on DIRECTV given its position as the premier provider of sports content in the U.S.," said IMO CEO Jeff Paro. "This deal highlights a year of aggressive expansion for The Sportsman Channel. We are leveraging our strengths as the largest magazine publisher, the largest online network, and the largest TV producer in the outdoor category, to make TSC the preeminent channel in the space."

"The Sportsman Channel and its terrific line-up of branded outdoor programming is a welcome addition to our robust programming lineup," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc. "This channel is a must-have for outdoor-enthusiasts and reinforces DIRECTV's position as the leading provider of outdoor programming to consumers."

The DIRECTV news comes on the heels of several business acquisitions and programming announcements made recently by IMO, including the acquisition of Barrett Productions, a leading producer of outdoors, adventure and sports television programming. IMO now has the largest library and largest current show output of any production company in the outdoor category. Additionally, IMO has shifted all of its programming resources to The Sportsman Channel, including its most popular branded shows like Fly Fishing the World, In-Fisherman TV, and Guns & Ammo, and is also creating an exciting slate of new shows, including the recently launched Tactical Impact, Arrow Affliction, and Ice Fishing Guide.

Launched in 2003, The Sportsman Channel is the only network fully devoted to the more than 50 million sportsmen in the United States, delivering 100 percent hunting, fishing and shooting programming. Acquired by InterMedia Outdoors Holdings in 2006, TSC is now a part of the nation's largest multimedia company targeted exclusively to serving the information and entertainment needs of Outdoors enthusiasts. For more information, visit www.thesportsmanchannel.com.

DIRECTV, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTV), the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to more than 17.3 million customers in the United States and is leading the HD revolution with more than 130 HD channels -- more quality HD channels than any other television provider. DIRECTV subscribers enjoy access to over 265 channels of 100% digital picture and sound, exclusive programming, industry-leading customer satisfaction (which has surpassed all national cable companies for eight years running) and superior technologies that include advanced DVR and HD-DVR services and the most state-of-the-art interactive sports packages available anywhere. For more information, please visit DIRECTV.com.

InterMedia Outdoors, Inc. is the leading multimedia company exclusively serving the information and entertainment needs of outdoors enthusiasts, with the largest network of websites dedicated to hunting, shooting and fishing; a portfolio of 17 magazines including powerful brands such as In-Fisherman, Guns & Ammo, Petersen's Hunting, Fly Fisherman, and Florida Sportsman; syndicated radio programming; 25 market-leading television productions, the largest library of outdoors television programming and The Sportsman Channel, the only television network 100% dedicated to hunting, shooting and fishing.

Guntalk
December 16, 2008, 01:01 PM
Oh, the other info on where PDTV can be seen.

http://www.guntalk.com/site.php?pageID=15&newsID=51

AllAmerican
December 16, 2008, 06:06 PM
trailgator got it too. Yeah Pursuit channel also known as HUNT. PDTV also comes on Saturday mornings at 8am on Pursuit.

ARS1911
December 16, 2008, 09:05 PM
ive been mad as a bull since pdtv left outdoor channel all the time not knowin I had the pursuit channel. thanks for the heads up guys.

CZF
December 19, 2008, 01:07 AM
Anyone out In the Pacific Northwest watching PDTV on DISH??

XDShooter07
December 19, 2008, 05:03 PM
I've been wondering where PDTV went. Too bad none of these programs are on DISH except Fox Sports South and I'd have to upgrade to get it.

I applaud intermedia for burning bridges rather than just expanding to other stations IN ADDITION to the outdoor channel and expanding their viewer base. Dilrods; I hope they tank.

Guntalk
December 19, 2008, 05:22 PM
I don't know about burning bridges, but there were other forces at work. For one thing, Intermedia Outdoors was in talks with the Outdoor Channel to BUY that channel, at the same time that other Intermedia folks were negotiating with TOC about the contracts for all the IMO shows. Probably more things going on than we'll ever know, but at some point the calendar says it's time to lock down your distribution for your shows.

You have to have a network to run them on -- otherwise, the advertisers get kinda testy.

So, unable to reach an agreement, and with time having run out, IMO made a decision that they probably didn't really want to make, but they had to get the shows committed to some distribution (networks) for the coming year.

It also forced IMO to put a full effort into building Sportsman Channel. With the "mother ship" drifting off, IMO had to build SC.

Looks like that's happening, too. It does take a long time to make those things happen. Lots of money and lots of egos at that level.

We are making some fun changes to PDTV for the taping we'll be doing this year.

And . . . I'm in the process of creating a new TV series which we plan to air beginning next summer. Not an IMO production. Details in a few months.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Personal Defense Television Episodes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!