Didn't see the ProtestEasyGuns crowd at VT today

PDA

SpeedAKL
April 16, 2008, 07:03 PM
Thank goodness. No 32 people acting like the dead students and faculty that were being memorialized. The ceremony was very good and politics-free. I'm assuming they still did their crap up in DC?

If you enjoyed reading about "Didn't see the ProtestEasyGuns crowd at VT today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bogie
April 16, 2008, 07:55 PM
Whole bunch of them in front of the supreme court. Nobody with any sort of common sense message either.

JohnBT
April 17, 2008, 12:23 AM
www.remembrance.vt.edu/photo-gallery/index.html

"Do I need to bring my own candle for the vigil on April 16?

No. Some 40,000 candles are available for distribution to Candlelight Vigil participants."

vt357
April 17, 2008, 09:44 AM
They did their LIE-in. The administration let them do it since they moved it back two hours after the memorial service. They did it at the far side of the drillfield near the duckpond.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/04/17/students_hold_lie-in_to_protest_gun_show_loophole

Dravur
April 17, 2008, 11:22 AM
I would have lied down with them. Of course, I would have been in a sheep costume.

K-Romulus
April 17, 2008, 11:36 AM
Despite what(err vt357's) article said, the Washington Post made it sounds like the "lie-in" was a major event:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/16/AR2008041601472.html?hpid=topnews

A Day of Tears at Tech
A Year After 'All of Our Lives Changed,' Mourners Find Unity

By Nick Miroff
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, April 17, 2008; B01

BLACKSBURG, Va., April 16 -- With renewed displays of campus unity and many smaller, private moments of painful tribute, Virginia Tech marked the anniversary of its darkest day Wednesday with events honoring the 32 students and faculty members gunned down in a dormitory and classrooms a year ago.

Samaha, Read and other relatives of victims joined several dozen students in the afternoon who lay down on the edge of the Drillfield in an event organized by the Alexandria-based group Protest Easy Guns. More than 70 "lie-in" events were scheduled across the country, including at the state capitol in Richmond and on the steps of the U.S. Supreme Court. The group supports tighter background checks for gun purchases, especially at gun shows.

"We need to stop the gun violence in our country," Bobbie Ansell said at the event in Richmond. Her niece, Emily Haas of Richmond, was shot twice in the attack but survived.
(more) . . .

JohnBT
April 17, 2008, 11:56 AM
Video:

www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/04/17/video_lie_in

According to the morning Richmond paper the whole thing amounted to about 100 people. IIRC, the Drillfield is roughly 12 acres. Or maybe it's 23. Oh well, it's been a few years, I graduated in '72.

John

CmpsdNoMore
April 17, 2008, 01:42 PM
I would have lied down with them. Of course, I would have been in a sheep costume.
That would have been the funniest thing EVER!

Not that I find any joy out of the killings at VT, of course.

retgarr
April 17, 2008, 01:57 PM
I'm thinking that may be disrespectful to call the dead sheep. Who knows what their opinions were on concealed carry? I'd be happier standing there with a sign saying "Here lie disarmed victims"

Blackbeard
April 17, 2008, 02:12 PM
Protest Easy Candles! Candles aren't safe in the hands of untrained people. How many people have died in candle-related fires? We need to get these candles off the streets immediately! Demand candle microstamping! Eliminate the campus vigil loophole! Ban high-capacity assault candelabras and birthday cakes!

If you enjoyed reading about "Didn't see the ProtestEasyGuns crowd at VT today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!