Campus shooting

PDA

Harley Quinn
April 16, 2008, 09:30 PM
FRESNO, Calif. -- A police officer shot and killed a 17-year-old high school student Wednesday after authorities said the teenager clubbed the officer with a baseball bat on the crowded, urban campus.

The officer fired at the student shortly before noon, after the Roosevelt High School sophomore allegedly came from behind and struck the officer in the head with a wooden baseball bat, Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.

The officer fell down dazed, and reached for the gun in his hip holster, but the clip fell out.

As the student came at him a second time, the officer grabbed a secondary weapon - a semiautomatic handgun - from his ankle holster and fired one or two rounds, Dyer said. The student reportedly died within a few minutes.

"The officer was fortunate that he was able to defend himself," the chief said.

The cause of the attack was not immediately known, and the officer did not know the student, Dyer said. There was no history of prior run-ins between the teen and the officer, who has been assigned to the school by the police department for the last three years, he said.

If you enjoyed reading about "Campus shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CountGlockula
April 16, 2008, 09:30 PM
deja vu.

Werewolf
April 16, 2008, 09:45 PM
but the clip fell out. ***? Darwin lost that time but I'm betting in the long run he'll get 'im.

Harley Quinn
April 16, 2008, 10:10 PM
Clip or is it clippings that are in a magazine;) Typical error for the uniformed newspaper people:uhoh: Even if the mag fell out you could get a shot off with your Glock mdl 22, but not some of the others that are out there like the S&Ws.

Kitchen_Duty
April 16, 2008, 11:23 PM
"able to defend himself" wow... why would you ever need to do that at a college? insert bang head here: :banghead:

TexasRifleman
April 16, 2008, 11:26 PM
"The officer was fortunate that he was able to defend himself," the chief said.

Ya know, there really isn't any more to be said is there.....

Seancass
April 16, 2008, 11:34 PM
officers get to defend themselves. any normal person would have been beaten to death.

Kind of Blued
April 17, 2008, 12:12 AM
Any private citizen with a Concealed Carry Permit with half a brain (presumably all of them, considering the background check) would have done the same thing... Of course, they would be unarmed on the school campus (I believe in CA) and would now be dead.

Honu
April 17, 2008, 12:17 AM
I read this a bit ago and was curious what gun ? why did it fall out ? and was it user error or gun error ?

for some its reason to carry a BU

Robert Hairless
April 17, 2008, 12:19 AM
Of course, they would be unarmed on the school campus (I believe in CA) and would now be dead.

Well, yes, but they would have felt safe and so would everyone else. Helping students feel safe is what's important.

So is closing the gun show loophole, which would have made everyone feel much safer even though the teenage attacker used a baseball bat. The trouble is that there are too many guns, which is why the attacker found it easy to get a baseball bat and the police officer survived only because he had two guns.

Don't mind me. I'm practicing to be the next President of the United States or at least a state legislator in California, New York, Illinois, New Jersey, or some other country.

Dksimon
April 17, 2008, 12:20 AM
wow, thats all i have to say.

Zoogster
April 17, 2008, 12:28 AM
dupe

sailortoo
April 17, 2008, 12:40 AM
Can't help myself - have to reply. First, what is this about the clip (magazine) falling out? As posted above, was this "operator error", or a weapon malfunction? Be useful to know just what really happened (written by a gun knowledgeable person, for a change)? And the "saving factor" - a simple backup weapon. I am a revolver guy ("clips" don't ever fall out!), and I cannot carry a backup (New York reload), by NM law (THAT sucks!). A smallesh event (not dozens executed), except for the attacker, but much to think about. How about a 5 day waiting period for baseball bats, and a less than lethal length limit? Sorry for the sarcasm in a lethal encounter, but a baseball bat is every bit as lethal as a Glock, you just have to be a bit closer.
sailortoo

blutarsky
April 17, 2008, 02:05 AM
who knows why his mag fell out, maybe it was a malfunction or user error -- but i think it's a bit much to suggest via innuendo that the cop was inept because of it (darwin, etc). the article started out "...after the Roosevelt High School sophomore allegedly came from behind and struck the officer in the head with a wooden baseball bat..."

i don't want to know how uncoordinated or incapacitated i'd be after being the recipient of such a blow, but from the information so far it seems that in the end i think we can all agree that the good guys won this time.

Jimmy Dean
April 17, 2008, 02:44 AM
any chance for a link to the story? I think I could actually use this as a referance in some of my interviews

C96
April 17, 2008, 03:04 AM
A good link to the story. Lots of different information.

http://www.fresnobee.com/updates/photo/story/531972.html

papajohn
April 17, 2008, 04:17 AM
17 years old, six-foot-two, 200 pounds. If that kid hit me with a baseball bat, I'd be dead, or stunned beyond the capacity to react. Just a guess, but I bet the impact knocked the police officer sideways, and he landed on the gun, mashing the mag release.

The kid was home-schooled until January......I guess he shoulda stayed at home. "Does not play well with others............"

PJ

MikeEvans
April 17, 2008, 04:35 AM
I only hope that if I was in the same situation after being hit in the head with a bat by a guy that big I would ...

A) not be knocked unconscious and then be beaten to death.

B) be able to act fast n draw my firearm to defend myself.

C) be able to act fast after my primary failed and switch to my bug, and stop the threat.

D) have a bug on me.

C) live in a world where college students/staff are able to defend themselves in the first place.

A failure is a failure anyway you slice it, so as far as I am concerned I could care less why or how his mag fell out. It's a good thing this man was prepared.

Honu
April 17, 2008, 05:26 AM
my reasons for wanting to know why and I hope he is OK and speedy recovery

is to LEARN !

I would not blame him as I say human error could be his grip is messed up since he got hit so hard or if he did fall on the gun and it released ? would be curious to know what gun what holster etc.. as a fall should not pop the mag loose ! but things happen

was he so dazed he hit the mag release thinking it was the safety ? again not blaming just purely curious
one reason I do like the glocks for carry is the quick no thinking put the finger in pull the trigger

again many people might be curious as to why to hope to not have something happen like this again

also this is not about the punk who hit him from behind and purely taking the malfunction of the gun out of the incident to investigate it more (at least my reasons are this)

MikeEvans
April 17, 2008, 08:32 AM
YEah sure thing I see what you are saying, I'm just saying... What I take away from this article is failures happen and you better have a backup plan.

He prob did just fall all crazy and mash the gun somehow though. Who knows, I'm sure he doesnt even understand how it happend.

ChopperKen
April 17, 2008, 09:00 AM
"The officer was fortunate that he was able to defend himself," the chief said
I wonder when the other chiefs around the country will figure out "able to defend" would be a good thing for the students as well...

doc2rn
April 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
I would probably be correct in stating the kid was after the weapon on the cops hip to do further damage to others. Now when does everyone on campus get to defend themselves with a weapon.

chris in va
April 17, 2008, 09:20 AM
Like the article said, he probably went for his firearm and accidentally hit the mag release.

El Tejon
April 17, 2008, 09:50 AM
Lessons learned:

1. Magazine disconnects will get you killed.
2. Carry a back up pistol.
3. Self-defense is not a myth.

TX1911fan
April 17, 2008, 09:59 AM
This was at a high school campus, not a college campus. Not that it matters . . .

MakAttak
April 17, 2008, 10:01 AM
From the article:

Carrizales was killed after he attacked a campus police officer with a baseball bat shortly before noon, police said. He died at the scene. Carrizales' sister, Elisa Ortega, 27, said detectives notified the family about 2:30 p.m. She said they asked detectives why they didn't use a Taser, a non-lethal device that immobilizes with an electric current. The detectives did not answer the question, Ortega said. Carrizales had started at Roosevelt High in January. Before that, he was being home-schooled, his sister said. Ortega said Carrizales had no history of violence and was not affiliated with a gang. He was the youngest of 11 children.

Why didn't he use the taser!?!?!

I don't know, maybe he just got clocked and didn't have time to think.

Maybe he didn't want to risk missing since he only has one shot with it.

Maybe he was already on the ground and not in the best position to use a taser?

Geez- do people think the cops walk around with a phaser set on stun and only shoot people with guns cause they like the blood?

ZeSpectre
April 17, 2008, 10:33 AM
Yup, the situation was already well past "non-lethal deterrence".

Heavy Metal Hero
April 17, 2008, 11:07 AM
He was the youngest of 11 children.

I am sorry, but that is disgusting. 11 children? How can someone possibly manage that many children? I am sure someone will chime in and tell me I am wrong, but I would bet most families of that size are out of control.

Quality > Quantity

Harley Quinn
April 17, 2008, 11:27 AM
HMH, I saw that and thought the same thing. I bet if they did an investigation into his siblings the story would be very interesting.

Anyone found out the make and model of the pistol:scrutiny:

ny32182
April 17, 2008, 12:42 PM
Well.. *now* he has a history of violence. And *he's* history, as well.

There are plenty of times where it would occur to me to possibly second guess the actions of a cop or someone else, but this isn't one of them. How did his mag fall out? **** happens in a fight, thats how. Fortunately he had a backup and knew how to use it, even after reportedly being hit in the head with a baseball bat.

As others have stated, this is a prime example of why magazine disconnects are a bad idea. One shot is still better than none.

My only problem with this story, is that the initial blow can't actually be as bad as it sounds. Anyone getting hit square in the head with a bat being swung by a 200lb individual isn't going to know what planet they are on by the time they hit the ground, if they are still alive at all.

ibm_db2
April 17, 2008, 01:22 PM
I have a Florida CCW, does that give me to right to a backup weapon? I have not really considered it before. Thanks,

Winchester 73
April 17, 2008, 02:29 PM
I have a Florida CCW, does that give me to right to a backup weapon? I have not really considered it before. Thanks,

You can carry a BUG.FL CCW does not restrict you to one gun.

The Wiry Irishman
April 17, 2008, 02:42 PM
I find two things amazing about this story:

Cop gets clocked in the head with a bat, maintains consciousness and is clearheaded enough to go for his gun before he gets hit again.

Cop was still clear-headed enough (remember, still just moments after getting clocked in the head with a bat) to recognize his primary wouldn't work, and draw and use his backup.

He must have had some good training.

Guy B. Meredith
April 17, 2008, 02:49 PM
The Foxnews.com version ends with:

"Silvia Carrillo, whose daughter is a sophomore at Roosevelt High, said the shooting did not seem justified.

"My son and my brother went to school here too, and nothing like this ever happened. I think this wasn't enough for him to kill the kid," she said."

Assuming the story is correct, I wonder how she would view getting her head bashed in.

Cosmoline
April 17, 2008, 02:52 PM
but the clip fell out.

Must have been a semi that won't fire if the mag is ejected. Never cared much for those.

Harley Quinn
April 17, 2008, 11:02 PM
This is the latest information regarding the problems the teen had and the final day of his life.

http://www.sacbee.com/114/story/871245.html

This was one messed up situation and all the story has not emerged, I think he had a real dislike for the man and waylaid him (as the story says)... He is over his problems now.

One students reaction to it and statement:

Alejandra Murillo, a 15-year-old sophomore, said she felt too anxious to go back to school Thursday, so stayed at home with her mother and grandfather.

"All the teachers' aides were just going to be asking us what happened and we weren't going to pay any attention to the lessons," she said. "It was enough just being there yesterday. I still don't think he needed to kill the guy."

gym
April 17, 2008, 11:18 PM
Plus most cops never even pull their guns out, other than qualifying I know guys that retired without pulling thier guns from the holster. Just because thier cops dosen't mean they can shoot, to most it's just a job, especially CA, and NY.

Harley Quinn
April 19, 2008, 02:50 PM
I was surprised to read that some of the departments only require some to qualify once a year if the employee is not working the street :uhoh:

Seems to be an odd situation, life and death item and only qualify once a year:what: I wonder if that means they still have to shoot it more often but not for score:uhoh::confused:

Heartless_Conservative
April 19, 2008, 05:12 PM
Well to be fair, if you're one of the lucky (read: politically connected) Californians who actually has a CHL (or whatever they call it), you can carry in schools (well public schools anyway). I guess they figured that since hardly anyone could actually get one they didn't need to ban it.

Heavy Metal Hero
April 19, 2008, 05:13 PM
I thought that only applied to colleges?

If you enjoyed reading about "Campus shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!