toy guns

PDA

Soybomb
April 16, 2008, 10:11 PM
A couple days ago I was visitng my nephew and he was playing with some toys guns. I'm still not entirely sure what to think of it. What do you guys think? Should guns ever be toys to kids? Should they never be toys? Are they fine as toys as long as they doing point them at people/pets?

If you enjoyed reading about "toy guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gunnerpalace
April 16, 2008, 10:15 PM
With rules I see no problem with them.

dvdguy
April 16, 2008, 10:20 PM
I played with cap guns as a kid, never was a problem
I also didnt turn into some homicidal maniac

GearHead_1
April 16, 2008, 10:26 PM
Let them play, you'll know when it's time to teach them about real weapons.

hockeybum
April 16, 2008, 10:26 PM
I always had toy guns lying around my house. my cousins have toy guns lying around their houses. We used to play war and cops and robbers and everything. Good times. They're toys, only way their gonna hurt somebody is if you decide to pistol whip. Now when it comes to nerf guns, there are specific ROE rules.

I finally get to post this pic::D
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj18/monk911/Nerf_ROE.jpg

mossberg
April 16, 2008, 10:27 PM
If they can't tell the difference between what is a toy and what is real, they shouldn't handle real guns yet. Most kids will be able too at a fairly young age, and then I believe they can do whatever they want with cap guns. Who here had cap gun fights as a kid? I know for sure that I sure did (hey look I'm a poet:D)

Soybomb
April 16, 2008, 10:34 PM
I played with cap guns as a kid, never was a problem
I also didnt turn into some homicidal maniac
Homicidal maniac might be the main stream media implication (and of course a ridiculous one) but I'm thinking more along the lines of safety and gun handling. Is it a good idea to teach a 3 year old that its okay to point guns at things and pull the trigger or is the 3 year old better taught that guns aren't toys?

dhoomonyou
April 16, 2008, 10:36 PM
NO.

G-d forbid they ever get hands on a REAL gun, without knowing the rules or being too young to understand, might be a problem.

ALSO I don't like the Nerfy things either, can still hurt an eye with it.

glockman19
April 16, 2008, 10:40 PM
I voted,
Toy guns are fine with limitiations on what they can are allowed to point the gun at.
I was allowed to play with toy guns, cap guns, as a child, 1960's, but I was told not to point it at anyone's face. Otherwise it was OK. Cops/Robbers, Cowboy/Indian, GI/German,Korean,Vietnamese, and later SWAT & Starskey & Hutch.

When we were older, 12-14 1970's we would play Tag/Capture the Flag with BB guns wearing t-shirt/sweatshirt/Levi jacket combo and would play on the roof of the local elementary school. The School Fence being our boundry. We had a one pump limit and below the neck rule so even if you were wearing a T under a Flanel Shirt the shot would not break skin, and no one ever lost an eye. And no one ever called in a "Man with a gun".

We also,
Stayed out until Dark with no supervision, rode bikes without helmits, learned not to play with matches by burining ourselves, could shoot a gun in city limits, and we're still alive to tell about it. :D

dvdguy
April 16, 2008, 10:42 PM
i think its ok for them to point their toys, but you also have to teach them as soon as you can

esmith
April 16, 2008, 10:44 PM
ALSO I don't like the Nerfy things either, can still hurt an eye with it.

No offense to you or anyone else here but im going to rant. America needs to stop worrying so much about the safety of stuff. I played with Nerf guns at a young age and at some point probably got shot in the eye, and probably cried. Im still alive and well. I then learned to be more careful. A few years ago i was shot about a centimeter below my lower eyelid with an airsoft bb going around 270 FPS, again, i learned. And quick. Now i wear goggles.

CWL
April 16, 2008, 10:46 PM
I think that children can be properly taught to know & understand the difference between toys and real guns.

It wasn't until the past 30 years or so that people started "fearing" toy guns.

Remember that families used to keep guns loaded and on the mantle or next to the door less than a century ago -children back then just were taught not to touch the real guns.

yhtomit
April 16, 2008, 10:52 PM
I'm of mixed mind of them, along these lines:

1) I don't want to *teach* kids that toys are guns, and therefore that guns are toys. I don't think that all kids in all circumstances would take that lesson from playing with toy guns, but the bad outcomes as you can imagine could be *very* bad.

2) That said, I think there's at least one positive outcome possible in using toy guns, which is for kids to learn that "gun shaped objects" don't cause cancer, or promote evil, or change into goblins and night and conspire to choke the pets. Most kids I think have no real problem distinguishing between an Easy Bake Oven and the real thing, or a battery-powered jeep sized for them and a road-worthy car. (My niece says her kid-scaled Jeep is a good way to get around on "Planet X," otherwise known as The Basement Toyroom.) I have no problem with a (supervised) 4-year-old learning (and enjoying!) fine motor skills with something like a Nerf gun, or even (I know I am a menace to society) low-powered airsoft guns (with proper eye protection and instilled safety lessons). I was probably 8 when I used long-saved nickels and dimes to get a pretty nifty spring-based plastic gun that shot little orange plastic bullets, and never once did I think it was a "real gun" -- which is something I didn't have access to for many more years.

3) I just ordered a couple of airsoft guns myself, for in-room plinking at odd moments (telecommuting has its upsides), of the kind that, aside from orange tip, looks to be a Brady Campaign nightmare -- metal shell instead of plastic, styled very much like a Walther designed pistol. (http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/a213/)

From the description there ("If it weren't for the blaze orange tip and the slightly smaller gun size we'd be a bit concerned about our co-workers packing these at office meetings.") I can tell the guys at ThinkGeek have not read through the mousegun sticky on THR - this gun is more than 6 inches long! ;)

timothy

moooose102
April 16, 2008, 10:56 PM
we played with toy guns as kids too. no real problems arose from it, other than this terrible addiction i have. but we were not allowed to "play" with our bb guns. we were tought that these were serious weapons. they could potentionally kill someone. and certainly make someone go blind or deaf. the only person that ever pointed a bb gun at someone in our group of freinds was chastized beyond belief for it, and then my dad took his gun, smashed it with a 20 pound sledge hammer, and dragged him home screaming and crying to his parents by his ear! NOBODY ever thought about doing that again! AHHH, the old days, when a parent could DISAPLINE a child in PUBLIC !

.cheese.
April 16, 2008, 11:14 PM
I played with toy guns.

Looking back though, I don't think it was a wise choice for a toy.

Toy hammers and other toy tools get used in sets that simulate building stuff. Toy guns get pointed at other kids so they can say, "BANG BANG... YOU'RE DEAD!"........ it isn't setting a good example.

On the other hand, BB guns are fine, so long as they are never pointed at other people.

I think when I have kids, I'll buy them BB guns when they're old enough. No cap guns though. I don't ever want to have my kids think that pointing a gun at somebody you don't intend to harm is ok.

bigjohnson
April 16, 2008, 11:34 PM
Some of my earliest memories involve playing with toy guns. In 1948, when I was 5 years old, my dad took me down to the local "army surplus" store and for 50 cents bought me a US web Pistol belt and brown leather GI holster for a .45 auto. I had that holster and belt until I was 18 or so, and finally gave it away to one of my younger cousins, so he would have something to play Army with. I never played Army. It was always MARINES. I had one of those solid-aluminum cast copies of a .45 auto, and it killed many a jap for me while I was patrolling the local beachhead (North shore of Hampton Roads) My cousin Buzz and I also kept raiding parties from Nazi U-Boats from invading the homes along Chesapeake Avenue. Good thing we were there. Those Nazis were BAD guys, and the homeowners along the waterfront depended on us to prevent any U-Boat landings. We must have been pretty good at what we did. We never even SAW a Nazi the whole time.
Toy guns were toy guns. But by the time I got my first BB gun (age 7...and my mother was FURIOUS!) Things changed a bit. No pointing the BB gun at a person. No keeping it loaded in the house...at least that's what my mom said. Everything went okay until I hid under the sewing machine and shot across the den and hit my sister Julia in the right forearm. She was sitting in the easy chair in front of the radio, listening to "The Green Hornet". That shot signaled the end of the BB gun for a month, and when I finally got it back was a bit more choosy in the selection of targets. I do recall that my older cousin Tommy (he was born on Christmes, 1942, and I was Born in Feb 1943) and I used to take turns climbing up to the top of a 60-foot magnolia tree in my Grandmothers front yard. The other of us would stand out at the edge of the street, and shoot at the one in the top of the tree. When I was "up the tree", I remember hearing the bb that had been shot at me punching holes in those big magnolia leaves at it went past. I'm sure if one of us had been hit it the face, we would have fallen down that 60-foot tree, probably to our death. But by that time we were 7 or 8 years old and considered ourselves immortal.
The upshot of all of this is that I played with toy guns of all kinds, and never suffered any ill effects from it. Those parents who wonder "what sort of message it sends" to their little ones, should realize that it sends no message at all. Toy guns are just toys.

Ske1etor
April 16, 2008, 11:36 PM
Nerf guns? We didn't have no stinking nerf guns when we were kids. We used to collect the little antennas from lego sets and shoot em at each other out of red ryder BB guns....

We were then taught firearms safety by parents and all is well.

32winspl
April 16, 2008, 11:39 PM
Toy guns are toys. Period. I grew up in the late 50s and 60's. On tv, I must have "witnessed" a jillion "more-native-American-than-I-am's" being shot off their horses, and halfa jillion cowboys. How many times did I see Wiley Coyote fall from some ridiculously high cliff? I can't recall ever, not even for the briefest instant, thinking that I could fall thousands of feet and suffer no more than the odd, accordian-shaped body. I don't know how I "knew" it, but I JUST KNEW that kind of stuff only happened in cartoons.
Again, I don't know how I knew it, but I KNEW that Dad's guns were real, and that mine, my brother's, and those of my friend's, were not. I KNEW that my Dad would "tan my hide" if I messed with his guns without him being present. We didn't have a gun-safe... the guns were in a simple rack in Mom and Dad's closet. The ammo however, was in a locked steel lockbox. My bro's and my guns were stored in a toybox.
I got off work one day an hour and a half or so early. I was parked in the lot of my son's school. The kids were let out for recess. I watched a dozen or so boys playing "Power Rangers" or some such karate-based crap. If you had kids/grandchildren in the mid 90's, you know what I mean. These kids are shouting "KEYAHHH!", and doing karate chops and sidekicks... and noone is actually making contact with his sworn enemy. Why? Because every kid there knows that it hurts to be chopped/kicked. They don't want to hurt their friends or get in trouble with the teacher on duty.
I guess my point is this... kids aren't stupid; and I think it unwise to treat them as if they are. When they f*** up in the small things; and they will, you have to hold them accountable. They have to be taught that when they f*** up the big things, they'll be held accountable. They'll know this by having been accountable for the small things.
Sorry for the rant. I don't know why kids kill kids. I don't know why "Cho's" kill 32 of their classmates before killing themselves. I do think that taking toy guns away from kids, coupled with all the anti- garbage they're going to learn at school will result in a generation of non-hunters/non-shooters... citizens perfectly willing to allow the 2nd Ammendment to be rescinded.
Just my thoughts.

RoostRider
April 16, 2008, 11:41 PM
I played with toy guns as a kid..... we also played "tag" with BB guns.... but someone did loose an eye.... really really really bad idea....

If you let them play with toy guns, make sure they know the difference, and be sure to point out that BB guns ARE NOT TOYS and can be very dangerous.

Mac45
April 16, 2008, 11:45 PM
We had all manner of toy guns as kids, and no harm came to any of us. A lucky few had BB guns, but those were different. Those were "REAL" guns, not to be played with, and we knew the difference.
I don't see any problem at all.

JohnBT
April 16, 2008, 11:51 PM
I played the usual shoot 'em up games with cap guns as a kid. We did this a bunch, year after year. My grandparents gave me a bb rifle when I was five. I started shooting real guns with supervision at the same time and guns were kept in a closet or hung on the wall.

Everybody's house had a gun or three or more. You didn't mess with the guns, the power tools or the fishing rods because they didn't belong to you.

I never confused the toy guns with the real guns. None of the other kids did either.

I still have my cap guns and holsters. I found them 20 years ago in a box in the back of my parents' pantry.

John

BruceB
April 16, 2008, 11:58 PM
My pals and I also "played guns" extensively through my childhood in the '40s and '50s.

However, when I had a child of my own, toy guns were forbidden in our house. Instead, I took my daughter to the range with a 1911 .45 when she was three years of age. With all due precautions, but NOT allowing her to see me loading the gun for the first shot, I had her fire two full magazines while I helped her hold the gun.

The lesson was very simple: when you pull the trigger on a gun, drastic things happen. NO sermons or instructions, just "pull that thing".....and BANG! That's also why I chose the .45 instead of a .22 single-shot. Noise and recoil added to the "drastic" impression.

As we drove home from that first session, she asked, "When can we go shooting again, Dad?" It wasn't long, because we quickly bought her a Cricket .22 rifle, and a bit of instruction along with the fun became the order of the day.

She was instructed to inform her playmates that guns are not toys, and she didn't play with such things because she had her own REAL gun, and shot real targets with real ammo. This proved very interesting, because it brought a long succession of youngsters to our door to ask if she actually did own her own 'real rifle'. They were shown the proof, and given some rudimentary coaching in gun-handling at the same time. Many of those kids, with permission of their parents, went to the range with us for hands-on shooting experience. It gave us a great opportunity to start a lot of young'uns off on the proper foot in shooting. I believe it also gave them a different perception about toy guns.

John828
April 17, 2008, 12:27 AM
I grew up with caps guns, a plastic AR, a Lone Ranger six gun and holster (with the mask too), etc., etc. Heck, we used sticks and pretended they were guns if we had to.

Without getting into the politically correct nonsense, most boys are going to play cops and robbers or cowboys and indians. It's in their blood.

Once, I got a BB gun though, I had a real gun and my dad made sure I conducted myself accordingly--not that he was always looking though.;)

On a slightly different note, instead of the four rules of gun handling, I grew up with the Ten Commandments of Gun Safety and rule number one was not to always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

The First Commandment was to Respect all firearms (or something of that nature.)

Respect, to me, is key. Seems that respect is missing in a lot of areas of life nowadays.

Anybody remember the old school ten commandments? It's a shame that I don't. :o

catfish101
April 17, 2008, 12:28 AM
I played with cap guns also. We didn't have nerf guns. Kids were taught differently then about most things. I didn't grow up with anybody that couldn't drive pretty good by age 13 or 14. We grew up on farms driving trucks and tractors. Hell, There is still a set of yard darts around here somewhere.

jrfoxx
April 17, 2008, 12:28 AM
I had lots of toy guns and squirt guns as a kid, and yes, we often pointed them at each other while playing.yet, we all still knew that you didnt do that with your bb guns, as they were NOT a toy, and eventually, I was taught that the same appleis to "real" guns too, when I was old enough to learn about and use them. NO problems. Kids are capable of being taught the difference between a toy gun, and a bb or real gun, just like they can be taught the difference beween putting your hand on a hot burner,vs a putting it on the couter. Kids are fully capable of learning to make distinctions. The problem is parents who cant or wont teach thier children the distinction, in which case I wonder if those parents should be anywhere near a gun themselvs.

Robert Hairless
April 17, 2008, 12:41 AM
There are times when I'm filled with despair over what has happened to the people of this country. Now is one of those times.

Up until this generation it was common for kids to play with toy guns and to engage in makebelieve gun fights with each other. Parents and fond aunts or uncles would give toy guns to the kids in their families. Inventive kids would make toy guns out of wood, including rubberband guns that fired bits of cardboard.

Nobody worried, nobody was anxious, and nobody really cared as long as the kids had fun and didn't hurt anyone.

There's something seriously wrong with people in this generation. There's a lack of proportion and an absence of good sense in them. I'm afraid to imagine what they children they influence will be like as adults. Worse, I suppose.

You worry about strange things and aren't concerned about what you've become. Don't you realize that kids have been pointing fingers at each other and saying "Bang bang" for generations without causing the world to end or the Apocalypse to descend--and with far less random violence among children than exists today.

How can you possibly reconcile your strange concern about your nephews' play with the violent statement in your signature?

Feud
April 17, 2008, 12:43 AM
Teach them the difference between toy guns and real guns, then let them play as they like.

Bazooka Joe71
April 17, 2008, 12:47 AM
I didn't bother reading through all of the posts, but I said let them play...

And by saying "let them play" I also think it isn't a bad idea to have non-gun colors for toy guns(ie, not black). Just so they know it is a toy and not a real gun.

JCMAG
April 17, 2008, 12:57 AM
When I was a kid, I took my die-cast and wooden toy double barrel shotgun and broke it over the back of my brothers head.

He later pushed me down a flight of stairs.

While fighting with sticks, I cut open my right eye. It don't function right to this day.

I grew up to handle guns very safely, to always use the handrails in the stairwell, and (as an adult) I've never struck anyone out of anger, although I probably should have.

The important thing isn't to teach kids that toys = guns, because then guns = toys. Teach them that there is a difference between make believe and the real thing, the real thing and make believe.

At the end of the day, though, there are a lot more factors that just how you play with your toys. How your moral character is imparted to you by role models will have a substantial role in both responsibility and your destiny as an adult.

toopercentmlk
April 17, 2008, 01:06 AM
My mother never let me have any toy guns, so I made my own out of toilet paper and paper towel tubes and scotch tape. My creations varied from Terminator 1 style Lever action, double barrel shotgun, to AK-47 influenced automatic rifles complete with spare and removable magazines(one flattened paper towl tube.)

Since then, I've payed my mother back with a strong appreciation and almost fascination with projectile weaponry.

What's the moral of this post? As a child I have proven that if we Eradicate guns, and we will invent guns all over again.

bwavec
April 17, 2008, 01:28 AM
I do not see a problem with toy guns. I played with them while growing up, then transitioned into regular firearms as a young teen.

With that said, I DO NOT consider the current crop of airsoft weapons to be toys at all.

OMGWTFBBQ
April 17, 2008, 01:32 AM
If a kid can't switch modes from playing with a toy gun to safely handling a real one, I don't think (s)he's quite ready for the real thing...

Soybomb
April 17, 2008, 03:01 AM
There are times when I'm filled with despair over what has happened to the people of this country. Now is one of those times.

Up until this generation it was common for kids to play with toy guns and to engage in makebelieve gun fights with each other. Parents and fond aunts or uncles would give toy guns to the kids in their families. Inventive kids would make toy guns out of wood, including rubberband guns that fired bits of cardboard.

Nobody worried, nobody was anxious, and nobody really cared as long as the kids had fun and didn't hurt anyone.

There's something seriously wrong with people in this generation. There's a lack of proportion and an absence of good sense in them. I'm afraid to imagine what they children they influence will be like as adults. Worse, I suppose.

You worry about strange things and aren't concerned about what you've become. Don't you realize that kids have been pointing fingers at each other and saying "Bang bang" for generations without causing the world to end or the Apocalypse to descend--and with far less random violence among children than exists today.

How can you possibly reconcile your strange concern about your nephews' play with the violent statement in your signature?
I really don't see a correlation between my concern and my sig really. My concerns have nothing to do with politcal correctness or what society thinks kids should be doing with guns. As I sat on the couch and watched a 3 year old point a toy gun at people and pull the trigger I couldn't help but think it just might not be the best first lesson of firearms to give such a young child. If he were older and seemed to understand consequences, punishment, and proper behavior better I probably wouldn't of thought as much about it. I doubt I was the only kid who touched the burner to see why I wasn't supposed to, or at least something along those lines.

My own opinion isn't really formed on the topic yet. Right now I'd be inclined to say that I probably wouldn't give a child toy guns until they were old enough to go the range and use real guns as well. I'd want to see that maturity level where the child comprehends his actions and will follow directions. Perhaps its because I don't have children and can't appreciate their level of understanding of the world at such an age but I think if I had a 3 year old I'd want him to have more of the eddie eagle "don't touch, leave the area, get an adult" style training, and less experience treating gun objects as toys. I'd also take him to the range and try to show him why we respect real guns as soon as I felt like it was right.

The important thing isn't to teach kids that toys = guns, because then guns = toys. Teach them that there is a difference between make believe and the real thing, the real thing and make believe.
I can't quite put my finger on what I want to say but I think this comes the closest to what I have in mind. Isn't there a point where the kid in question doesn't fully understand this concept yet? From the time I've spent with my nephew I felt like he knew he had a toy but I'm not as certain that he understood the difference between real guns and toy guns. Until he does, should he be playing with toy guns?

papajohn
April 17, 2008, 05:27 AM
This politically-correct namby-pamby BS about toy guns makes me SICK. Kids need to use their imaginations, that's what they're FOR. If I had a nickle for every time I blasted an Injun, or a bad guy, or an alien, I'd be retired. By the time I was seven I had a hundred bullet scars, because the baddies didn't shoot as good as me. I knew the difference between toy guns and real guns because I wasn't an IDIOT.

I watched Superman every afternoon, and I didn't jump off the roof thinking I could fly. I watched Aquaman, and didn't drown in the pool. I watched the Green Hornet and didn't kill anyone with my blazing-fast Karate Chops.

Every year for Christmas I got a new toy gun, and some of them were DARNED realistic. I learned all about the 1911 from a platic copy that used plastic bullets, loaded into a magazine, and chambered by retracting the slide. Same for the M-14, flash hider and all. I wish I still had those guns, they weren't accurate but they were COOL. It all started with a Fanner 50, and I was lightning-fast and deadly out to six feet. After that, the plastic bullets turned left.

If a kid is too stupid to know the difference then he oughta be educated until he gets it. Or maybe he should just play with dolls. I bet the Gay Community and the ACLU would just LOVE that.

PJ the Curmudgeon

Dksimon
April 17, 2008, 05:58 AM
I grew up with toy guns but also with very strict "do not point them at anyone". Unless of course we were playing laser tag.

TAB
April 17, 2008, 06:06 AM
let them play.

I do think toy guns need to be made look like toy guns. I also don't think kids( before thier teen years) should be allowed to have airsoft and/or paint ball guns. unless they are under supervison, both of those can do real bodly harm( just like a BB gun).

John828
April 17, 2008, 08:26 AM
I had another thought on toy guns. Until December, I lived in Minneapolis in a neighborhood where crack and prostitution were the leading industries. One morning on a walk, I saw three empty blister packs that at one time contained three snubby revolver cap guns. My immediate thought was that some BG's were going to paint the orange muzzles black and use them for robberies (probably not too far off base either.)

Anyway, my only reservation on toy guns are twofold; 1) BG's may use them for nefarious purposes (But heaven help him if I defend myself; ) and, 2) a kid may be killed by a LEO if he is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That being said, I still think kids should be able to run free and wild if their parents have trained them right from the get go. In a perfect world (at least when I was growing up) parents could kick me out of the house at sun up, hose me down with the garden hose before dinner and bandage me up if needed.

1911 guy
April 17, 2008, 08:35 AM
I did, however, have limitations on what I was allowed to point them at. Any inanimate object or animal was fine, people were not. Playing "cops and robbers", etc. meant pointing fingers or sticks. Pointing a toy gun at a person and getting caught doing it was a guarantee that I'd never see that particular toy again. Ask me how I know this. :D

Even as a little kid, probably kindergarten, my Grandad (Dad wasn't around until I was in third grade) explained that one day I'd have real guns and I'd best learn to be safe then, than have bad habits to break later. I also wasn't allowed to have a BB gun. I was told, and correctly if my friends were any indication, that a kid will do stupid stuff with one that they'd not do with a real gun. I did, however, have a shotgun of my own (single shot 20ga).

#shooter
April 17, 2008, 10:36 AM
Ultimately this is a personal parental issue and I will respect what other parents teach their kids. Personally, I do not like the play style of cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, or war play (including video games) for children. I fail to see the value in play violence. Guns to me are like matches, both are dangerous and useful tools not to be played with. I don’t know of any parents that give their children fake matches and say “go play arson outside with your brother.” IMHO all gun play does is make actual firearms training more difficult by having to break bad habits.

John828
April 17, 2008, 10:49 AM
Being new to the forum and all, I hesitated before posting this but...what the heck.

Sometimes I get the feeling that some around here are a little "holier than thou," but in a "safer than thou" way.

Is gun safety first and foremost when handling a firearm? Beyond any shadow of a doubt!

I think part of what is wrong with our society is that kids are no longer allowed to be kids. "Wear a helmet...wear knee pads and elbow pads...no toy guns...etc., etc." A quarter of all boys are prescribed Rytalin for having Attention Deficit Disorder when all they really need is to put down the video game and go outside, climb a tree, and run around like a wild banshee!!!

Within a generation or two, we are going to "civilize" ourselves into a bunch of barbarians/zombies!

Soybomb
April 17, 2008, 01:58 PM
Or maybe he should just play with dolls. I bet the Gay Community and the ACLU would just LOVE that.
I apparently didn't get the email for the "gays for dolls" or "aclu for barbies" fundraiser. Just what is the link between sexual preference and playing with dolls?

yhtomit
April 17, 2008, 04:26 PM
This thread is making me think: I wonder if I should just start giving out metal airsoft guns as gifts to gun-phobic friends :) That might be the most practical way to get them to gradually accept the difference between objects and uses.

It's also making me think that whenever I see an *old* toy gun (and by old, I just mean before orange-tip legislation) in a thrift store or yard sale, I should snatch it up.

timothy

Fish828
April 17, 2008, 04:30 PM
if you let children use toy guns but make sure that they treat them like real guns, obeying all of the rules, then they will learn proper gun safety on a platform that can cause no harm before making the transition over to real guns as opposed to learning with a potentially dangerous weapon.

CmpsdNoMore
April 17, 2008, 04:46 PM
I didn't take the time to read all the posts, so I'm just going to say how I was taught and how I plan to teach my kids if or when I ever have any.

I was allowed to have toy guns when I was little. I used to go out in public wearing my holsters with little 3 inch metal "revolvers" and I had plastic cap guns as well as non firing toy musket looking rifles.
When I was younger I was told not to point the guns at any person or animal. When I was old enough, and I could understand the severity of what can happen from firearm misconduct, I wasn't restricted as much. I had a couple Super Soakers.

I never had BB, pellet or live firing guns until I was older, but it was mainly because I didn't have any way of getting into the sport.

When/if I have kids, I plan on giving them a BB gun when I think they're old enough to use it wisely and move up to .22 and larger calibers after that.
Always teaching them to be respectful and safety while shooting and being around firearms.

dewage83
April 17, 2008, 05:00 PM
ok i voted with limitations, people are getting shot from (people,cops, ect) after pulling fake guns. soo no people unless in an airsoft game but thats all the limitations i believe in.

thorn726
April 17, 2008, 05:57 PM
option three is EXCELLENT
and is exactly how my parents dealt with it years ago.

teach the kid that even a toy gun represents a real gun.

we could shoot each other in mock battle, but you did not just point it at mom's face (haha)

Sniper X
April 17, 2008, 06:03 PM
When I was a kid we all played with toy six guns, and lever guns. I never heard one story of any of my friends becoming a lunatic or having a gun related accident. I think it is a good idea to have kids have toy guns if they want them. If rules are set and followed.

Hkmp5sd
April 17, 2008, 06:19 PM
I "killed" my playmates and cousins a few hundred thousand times while growing up with every imaginable "weapon" available. Bows & arrows, six shooter cap guns, lever guns, Thomson subguns, M16s, plastic swords, plastic grenades, you name it. If it wasn't for me and John Wayne, Injuns would rule America and Germany would rule Europe.

Started playing with BB guns at 6 and received my first .22LR rifle at about 12 years of age. Didn't take long to get a second and third firearm. Kept guns and ammunition in my bedroom, completely unsupervised.

Managed to do both without mixing up real guns and toy guns.

Let kids play with toys. It is how they learn to be adults.

theotherwaldo
April 17, 2008, 07:15 PM
You can't stop kids from playing with toy guns.

Period.

You can teach them to be careful about things that they think may be toys.

It's like sex ed: It helps prevent horrible or embarassing mistakes, and should be done just a little earlier than you think that it's necessary.

Kids find guns. Your guns, your neighbor's guns, the guns tossed out of passing cars, whatever.

Let Eddie Eagle be your guide!

MT GUNNY
April 17, 2008, 07:48 PM
Parenting is the Key, I played with toy guns and I turn out alright.

Hk91-762mm
April 17, 2008, 09:00 PM
I played with toy guns =Fought wars! Killed every immaginable enemy!
Yet from my earliest recolections I knew It was [safe play] And that If you really did shoot someone they would be killed. Even the youngest child can tell the difference between right and wrong -providing there parents have given them basic education.

Scratchy
April 17, 2008, 09:12 PM
Even if kids are not allowed toy guns they will just pick up a stick and pretend it is a gun or sword or battle axe etc.

ShooterX
April 17, 2008, 09:31 PM
forget the kids. I'd get this for myself. The Office War balance of power will be tipped to my favor.

http://gizmodo.com/357952/nerf-vulcan-ebf+25-fully-automatic-toy-dart-gun-rambo-juniors-weapon-of-choice

The best new Nerf toy out of the entire Toy Fair 2008 lineup is this fully automatic dart gun. The toy is $40, and comes with 25 belt-fed darts, powered by six D-cell batteries (!). Paired with the Mission Kit Tactical Light, this is the kind of base unit a Nerf gun modder could really learn to love.

Cosmoline
April 17, 2008, 09:55 PM
Personally I think a much better route is the one my Brother in law has taken. No toy guns, but the kids are issued their own competition BB guns and shoot with a team. Great way to introduce them to the shooting sports and concepts of gun safety.

rocinante
April 17, 2008, 10:42 PM
My boy had just turned two before christmas and he kept asking for a 'bigga gun' for Christmas. Real guns weren't even part of my consciousness at the time and how it got in his I don't know. Mom was like no. I was at the grocery store and bought him a star war battle rifle that lit up and made a zingy noise. Darn batteries lasted like five years. Boys will make guns out of their fingers, sticks, anything. Give them their toys.

American boys also instinctively start making motor noises. I think machines are part of our DNA now.

serrano
April 18, 2008, 02:13 PM
Growing up in the 80s & 90s in Southern California we plinked around with BB guns and slingshots but never shot at each other, we got the talk from my father's best friend who had a glass eye from a slingshotted orange peel. We did however play Nerf 'War', and paintball... no airsoft though, had it been available though I'm sure we would have. We wore eye protection for paintball, and none for Nerf. We never intentionally aimed at the face, no one ever got hurt except for the usual scrapes from running and crawling around a hillside for hours at a time. :)

MD_Willington
April 18, 2008, 02:57 PM
My son has a toy pump shotgun, I made a nylon sling for it...

My Daughter has a toy revolver, she usually keeps it in her toy purse.

shdwfx
April 18, 2008, 03:01 PM
Boys want to be the hero, slay the dragon, save the damsel - there's a wildness built in that is healthy and natural. Suppressing that nature does no good.

My dad was deathly afraid of guns (still is) and had a real hard time with my gun 'obsession.' You think Commiefornication's one gun a month policy is bad? I think we had a 'one toy gun every 7 years' policy. :)

No matter, anything remotely stick-like turned into a weapon of imaginary destruction.

shdwfx
April 18, 2008, 03:03 PM
My Daughter has a toy revolver, she usually keeps it in her toy purse.

Most. Awesome. Thing. I. Hear. This. Day!

fearless leader
April 18, 2008, 03:39 PM
The answer to this depends on the kids. It is fun to play with toy guns. I did it, but I was immitating my TV heros on shows like "Combat" and "Rat Patrol", 007, Simon Templar, and the Roy Rogers and such. We aslo said prayers and the pledge of aliegence in school.
If we missed church on Sundays, we better have a real good reason.

Kids role models are often quite different now, like.. I don't know...Snoop Dog, and Fity Cent, the character on Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, and Hit Man, and things. Violence for fun, profit and the pure sake of violence. It's something to consider. Who do your kids idolize?
More often than not, it seems, the Gov't has become many kids "father" because the real one has walked out, or he's with his other family or something. What role models will they emulate?

I was interested in them because my favorite hero, my Dad, was an Army man. We were depicting the struggle of good and evil, back then. Are the dynamics the same now?

I say it depends on the kids. Their parents need to guide them in "healthy" play.

You also need to ask yourself if you want your kids going from "Mama", "Da da," to "Bang, You're dead!"

My answer isn't up there, but it's a "Maybe."

nodlenor
April 18, 2008, 03:47 PM
One thing I think is a problem with toy guns is making them look so real that it is hard to tell them from real guns without a close look. This causes problems when a criminal wants to use one and then claim he was harmless when he gets caught. Of course, some real guns are made to look like toys also.

If you enjoyed reading about "toy guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!