Sorry to ask (yet again?)

PDA

KC
August 14, 2003, 04:01 AM
This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find refrence to it.

Does anyone have experience with the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser cartridge? I bought a rifle years ago, but only recently started shooting it.
I've got ~100 rounds of milsurp, and it's truly wonderful stuff. What about commecerial loads, or handloading?

KC

If you enjoyed reading about "Sorry to ask (yet again?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dan newberry
August 14, 2003, 05:08 AM
That milsurp stuff is probably the "prickskytte" 143 grain ammo. If the bullet is silver, and sharp on the point, that's the stuff. Norma made some, as did Hirtenberger. The Norma stuff was naturally the best. It had a green seal around the primer. The Hirtenberger stuff used a black seal around the primer, according to my sources.

You'll be told by some sources that the bullet weight is 139 grains. Pull one and weigh it. It's 142.5 to 143.4 grains. (Yes, there is that much difference in the bullet weight in some lots).

The civilian target load, developed I believe by Metallverken in Germany used a 139 grain bullet. The M41 "prickskytte" military cartridge had a 143 grain bullet.

The powder was called NC1220. You should find about 46.3 grains in there.

This powder was made by Bofors, in Sweden. RL22 is now made by Bofors (if my info is correct) and seems to be an exact match of the military NC1220.

I use Sierra 142 grain Matchkings and 46.3 grains of RL22 to duplicate the velocity of the prickskytte (M41) round, which is what your ammo likely is.

I've shot very tight groups with my M96 Swedes using this recipe.

Best of luck...

Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "Sorry to ask (yet again?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!