What would you guys do if you heard this!

PDA

Sniper X
April 17, 2008, 11:06 AM
My GF is a Teachers aide at a local high school. She is in charge of ten to twenty "special needs" students each couple hours each day. She deals with kids with everything from ADD,ADHD, learning disabilities, and victems of abuse, and even Schizophrenia and other mental problems.

She is of course working with almost solely Liberal idiots.

The other day, a student came to her telling her another kid had a gun. The other student with this kid backed up the story saying she too had seen the gun, and a "hit list" the kid with the gun had shown them both.

My GF flew into action going to security, and the principle, like she had been told to do. She alerted campus police, who are APD in a sense.

About an hour later when she hadn't heard anything about the school being locked down or anything further she started to follow up. The principle first told her that the kid had been searched and all they had found was the hit list, and that she (my GF) had "overreacted!" to the situation, making everyone feel very "ill at ease for no reason"! WHAT!!!!

The Dumb A$$ principle also told her that the kid was saying he never had a gun even though both the kids who reported it stuck to their guns.....no pun intended! Also, let me tell you this, neither of the two kids who saw the gun were special needs students, just regular high school students, they were even friends with the kid who had the gun.

Now, the plot thickens! The Principle tried to have disciplinary action taken on My GF for what she called creating a tense work environment. turns out she had a vendetta against my GF for my GF turning her in a couple years ago for fraudulently using her purchase card for personal purchases which she got a slap on the wrist for.

Anyway, the Principle would not release the hit list contents, even though the other on it were all teachers and working there. She also told everyone to pay no special attention to the kid who had the gun as that would be an invasion of his privacy.

two days later he brought the gun back, was caught with it, and the principle only made the parents come and get the gun, and the kid.........for the day! She sent home a kid who showed up to HIGH SCHOOL with a GUN and a hit list a half day suspension!

My question is should I report/relay this story to the local News special investigator whom I know? This stinks of a terrible accident waiting to happen., The principle even went so far as to tell the teacher who found the gun in the kids locker to Not report it to the campus police because she didn't want an incident!

What is wrong with these people!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "What would you guys do if you heard this!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Big45
April 17, 2008, 11:08 AM
weird story, and its 'principal'.

Sniper X
April 17, 2008, 11:10 AM
I know, and I know, too bad spell check doesn't catch that kind of thing, grammar thing.

Rachen
April 17, 2008, 11:11 AM
I don't date liberals.

Never did and never will.

And if I find out she is a fearmongering, gun-banning anti later on, I will leave her immediately, no explanation necessary.

Yes, this is how I am.

Sniper X, you should leave her to fend for herself and go find a true Southern girl from the heartland.

csmkersh
April 17, 2008, 11:12 AM
Call

the cops
the TV news
look for another job

Deer Hunter
April 17, 2008, 11:14 AM
Rachen,

My girlfriend asked me once, knowing how I am with firearms, if I'd leave her if she didn't want to be around guns.

My answer, "The guns were here before you, and they'll be here after you. They were my first love, remember."

She's not anti at all, but likes to pick at me.

Sniper X
April 17, 2008, 11:16 AM
Hey Rachen, read a little closer, my GF isn't a liberal, everybody else except one teacher there at her school is. She is like me, and even owns four guns of her own. OH yeah, and BTW she is a southern girl, we live in "near" a town of 254 people up in the mountains....on a ranch.

Elza
April 17, 2008, 11:17 AM
I would do everything in my power to crucify the principal. Talk about a first class idiot. I’m sure she would be leading the charge to ‘ban all guns’ if anything happened in this school. Ignoring her own complicity, of course!

woodybrighton
April 17, 2008, 11:17 AM
kid actually turned up with a gun :eek:
time to get another job
kid still has access to said weapon and has teachers on a hit list.
hopefully the principal gets shot first as his thick head should be fairly bullet resistant:banghead:

in other news child is gunned down by swat for going bang bang with his fingers:confused:

Dope
April 17, 2008, 11:18 AM
Wow.

I would definitely be all over the cops and/or the media.

I would also be prepared to be losing my (her) job. It's probably not a bad idea anyway, as the kid knows that nothing will come of him bringing a gun to school. Extremely dangerous situation.

Man, I can't even comprehend the lack of brains involved here. You know how in all the school shootings, after the fact everyone is always talking about how they saw the signs, but it was too late/they didn't think about it enough? How many more signs do you need beyond bringing a gun and a hit list to school?

Dope

Sniper X
April 17, 2008, 11:19 AM
The thing that hit me when she was relaying this to me other than the horror of the reaction from the Principal, was I'll bet in EVERY one of the school shootings, there is a backstroy like this that because of the liberal media we aren't hearing!

IllHunter
April 17, 2008, 11:26 AM
It's not common, that much stupidity cannot, willnot go unnoticed long. Darwin said it first, I paraphrase, stupid dies.Tell the papers, tell the school board, tell the parents and PTA. Don't let the stupid grow.

Sniper X
April 17, 2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the support in what I wanted to do! I am going to first send an email to my buddy who is one of the special story investigators for one of the top TV News stations here in Albuquerque. See if he wants the story, Then I will also call my freind from HS who is now a Capt. at APD, get his input.

I also may "leak the story" to our only existing news paper and see if they want to run with it. I'd feel like crap if I did nothing and he snowed up again and completed his "mission".

Guitargod1985
April 17, 2008, 11:35 AM
Darwin said it first, I paraphrase, stupid dies.

I disagree. Have you seen our choices for President lately? It is quite apparent that stupid lives for quite a while - at least long enough to make it to voting age.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sniper X, I'd make sure your girlfriend gets another job. The only people creating a tense (and unsafe) work environment are the principal and the kid. I'm not blaming the gun, obviously, but when a kid shows up to school with a hit list and TWICE with a gun, something is horribly wrong.

+1 on calling the news and filing a police report.

Fedaykin
April 17, 2008, 11:35 AM
I'm with what the others suggested. I'd assume I was going to need a new job soon and just generally raise as much hell as possible.

Dksimon
April 17, 2008, 11:44 AM
wether or not you succeede in raising any cane atleast you will know that you did what you could

zxcvbob
April 17, 2008, 11:44 AM
Nothing will happen; the principal will use the kid's privacy as an excuse to clam up about *everything*, and to get all self-righteous in the process. Especially because the kid is "special". (Kid's privacy is a legitimate issue, but it only goes so far. The kid could remain anonymous; his identity is not really part of the story.)

I'd also contact the school board, the PTA, and the Sheriff's office, for a start.

robert garner
April 17, 2008, 12:09 PM
gun and a hit list twice? contact everybody! The Governor should know your face and name by evening! sometimes the dragon wins, but ya still gotta fight.
robert

sas
April 17, 2008, 12:23 PM
When children get suspended for pointing a chicken nugget thats shaped like a gun or their finger and saying pow it seems insane that a student can be found with a gun on their person and all that happens is the mommy or daddy pick them up from school and take them home is a crime. What about the rights of the other student or members of the faculty that may be on the list. Something must be done i would'nt want that child with mine in a classroom.

Funderb
April 17, 2008, 12:29 PM
Don't forget that every liberal is evil! there are only conservatives and evil people! And there is no such thing as a gun-loving liberal!

Don't forget that liberal is NOT a stereotype randomly applied to people that don't quite agree with you.

I think that your girlfriend was unfairly treated, and that rachen is only continuing that trend.

Sergeant Sabre
April 17, 2008, 12:32 PM
My question is should I report/relay this story to the local News special investigator whom I know?

YES!

doc2rn
April 17, 2008, 12:45 PM
The kid needs to be reported even if foiled in his first attempt. He can always switch to alternative means of killing like bats and knives. The teachers at the school need to be made aware of the situation because they may need to pay particular attention when said student is around. Principal should be removed as he/she is clearly not mentating correctly either.

Nugilum
April 17, 2008, 12:46 PM
I used to live in Albuquerque. This sounds normal to me.

Sad... but normal. Including the vendetta concerning the principal. APS is quite scary as an educational system.

Henry Bowman
April 17, 2008, 12:52 PM
Folks, this has nothing to do with "liberals." This has nothing to do with zero tolerance policies run amok. This is a case of a crime. Not because of some "school safety zone" law or policy, but because a person (whether a minor or otherwise) showed up twice with evidence of an intent to do great bodily harm (if not murder) and the means with which to carry it out at the location of the apparent target(s).

Your GF has to decide whether to take the matter over the head of her principal in the schoold district chain of command or whether to go straight to the police. Either will increase the risk of losing her job (though I see strong ground for a wrongful termination claim). That risk has to be compared to the risks of not doing so.

glockman19
April 17, 2008, 01:02 PM
Call

the cops
the TV news
look for another job
+1

take the matter over the head of her principal in the schoold district chain of command or whether to go straight to the police.

I believe that if she were fired she would have a great case against the school district.

I'd do a full-court-press on this one. S"pecial Needs" students would not legally be able IMHO to purchase or posess a firearm anyway. And if his child/student gained posession of the firearm from the parents then maybe they should learn to lock up their firearms and keep them out of the reach of ANYONE.

I know If my child were in that school I'd have a letter sent letting thwm know I wolud hold them personally responsible for any harm done to my child while in their care and on the campus.

JCUMM2
April 17, 2008, 01:04 PM
The superintendent for the school district is the principal's superior and the place I would start. Unfortunately, I'm afraid your GF may also need to be prepared to look for a new job if things don't go well. But, its better than getting shot at work. I do NOT think this should be let go without further action.

Dope
April 17, 2008, 01:16 PM
Even if she is not targeted, can you imagine how she would feel if ANYONE got injured at all by this kid, and she hadn't done everything possible to try to stop it? That'll stick with ya forever. You guys have a duty to do what's right.

Dope

MakAttak
April 17, 2008, 01:23 PM
My fiancee works in a public school.

As a PHTA (Teacher's Assistant) for troubled/special needs kids.

Fortunately, they are in first grade.

However, if she told me this story, I would tell her never to return to that school and IMMEDIATELY to contact the police and then the press.

If this is true, it is an egregious breach of duty by that principal.

CountGlockula
April 17, 2008, 01:25 PM
Sue the principle.

MarcusWendt
April 17, 2008, 01:30 PM
Sniper X, you should leave her to fend for herself and go find a true Southern girl from the heartland.

SniperX, if you do leave sure you replace her with someone who can read... unlike some people we both know. ;)

mnrivrat
April 17, 2008, 01:30 PM
Henry B put it as well as I could . It realy should be her call because it is her job on the line. I would strongly advise taking some action under these circumstances.

On the other hand big45 ? I must be in a mood because I find myself wanting to run your keyboard through a wood chipper. (I have a "thing" for grammer and spelling nazi's - :evil: )

jhco
April 17, 2008, 01:40 PM
i would most definetly let the police and school board and news know about this issue

Sniper X
April 17, 2008, 01:41 PM
Roger that MNRiverat! I had a guy over on another site grate on me for misspelling a few things and I showed him the respect of asking him to drop the spelling Nazi thing. When he didn't someone else jumped him for his poor grammar! It was kinda funny really, a guy making out to be Mr smartypants, dna getting all put in his place.

Flopsy
April 17, 2008, 01:44 PM
weird story, and its 'principal'.

Yeah, and it's "it's" in this context, my dear Grammar Police.

MakAttak
April 17, 2008, 02:05 PM
Honestly, I wish more people would jump on grammar and spelling mistakes.

It should not be taken as an indication that they are so much smarter than you. I would welcome corrections so that I may better express myself.

You'd be amazed at the different response a well-worded statement will garner: at the very least, those opposing you cannot (plausibly) claim you to be ignorant or stupid.

Flopsy
April 17, 2008, 02:14 PM
My point was that if you are going to criticize the grammatical mistakes of others, you shouldn't do so while using poor grammar.

/hijack

snow92686
April 17, 2008, 02:15 PM
that story is begging to be on the 6 o clock news.

zxcvbob
April 17, 2008, 02:19 PM
My point was that if you are going to criticize the grammatical mistakes of others, you shouldn't do so while using poor grammar.

Just try it sometime. A misuse of "its" v. "it's", or "complement" v. "compliment", or a misspelling (etc.) will sneak in every time you try to correct someone. I think its a rule or something. ;)

Funderb
April 17, 2008, 02:34 PM
Both spellings, compliment and complement are correct,
according to every dictionary ever written. :neener:

LWGN
April 17, 2008, 02:51 PM
"Both spellings, compliment and complement are correct,
according to every dictionary ever written. "

Eye think ewe knead two except that "spelled correctly" and "used correctly" are knot the same. :)

"Compliment" means to praise. "Complement" means that which is needed to complete or enhance.

Henry Bowman
April 17, 2008, 02:57 PM
And now, back to the originally scheduled thread...

Please.

MakAttak
April 17, 2008, 03:15 PM
I am the first one to decry the foolish punishments handed out by schools under the guise of "zero tolerance."

This, however, is negligence on the part of those who are supposed act "in loco parentis." I'm sorry, but if it were my children, I would send anyone away who showed up with a gun and a "hit list."

But that's just me. Perhaps he's special so we should just let him prepare to kill a few teachers and students. Wouldn't want to make him feel bad beforehand, he might get mad...

-v-
April 17, 2008, 03:15 PM
I think what was covered here, talk to the principal's boss and to the police, is the most prudent action to take. If the principal back-peddles and says it didn't happen, tap those students who saw him twice as well as other school employees that handeled this. I'm sure there are enough people in your significant other's school who have the same natural disinclination to get shot, and who would be more then help bolster her case in front of the school board and authorities. Our right to own guns doesn't make it legal for an underage person to draw up a death-list and bring a weapon to a place where he can find the people on this list, and presumably do great bodily harm to them. There's rights, and then there's criminality. We're dealing with the latter here, guys.

BothellBob
April 17, 2008, 03:40 PM
The best chance of keeping your (her) job in this kind of situation is to follow the chain of command. It sounds like the superintendent is next: "This is what has happened so far. I am very concerned that it has not been handled properly. Is this something that your office should deal with, or should I take it to the Schoolboard and Police?"
Once you start publicly embarrassing people (whether they deserve it or not), they will start circling the wagons, and you will be on the outside. If you are helping them contain the problem, and still get it fixed, you are in a much better position.
For what it's worth, been there, done it both ways, what I'm suggesting worked better:
BothellBob

eric.cartman
April 17, 2008, 03:40 PM
Get off the computer, and call the COPS NOW!

primlantah
April 17, 2008, 04:42 PM
i went to a pretty violent middle school. Weapons on campus were common. The students that brought them intimidated the teachers and most wouldn't do anything. I remember some kid in the 6th grade started a fight with me for no reason between classes... teachers in the hallway... once it got physical all the teachers disappeared. the bitch probably doesn't want to be put on this kids hit list. This was a common concern where i went to school. If a teacher interfered then there would be retaliation... though it was gang violence and not a disturbed/challenged kid.

Its the same principle as when someone witness a crime and looks the other way to not be bothered. You see it every day when driving past a car accident. Most people just don't have the time or sense to stop what they are caught up in and help. The problem is its our duty as citizens to help each other. If this nut job wont help then you need to find someone else who will.

Eyesac
April 17, 2008, 04:57 PM
My question is should I report/relay this story to the local News special investigator whom I know?

Yes, and please do it soon.

jakemccoy
April 17, 2008, 05:13 PM
I'd first call the cops and get a police report on file. Then, I'd call the county school board superintendent and report the principal. If they don't do anything, sue from the top down. A firing of the principal would be sufficient for me. The proper policies and protocol's are already in place. The problem is with a failure to execute, which is the principal's job.

I understand you're pissed, but the media is like setting off a biological weapon. You really have no control over the fall out, and your pro-gun rights will likely be affected, especially since it's a small town. However, if you want to turn your idyllic town into a mini-California, by all means, report criminal gun violations every chance you get.

We always complain about how anti-gun the media is. However, many here are now taking the opportunity to feed the monster. Do you really think the media will spin this story in a pro-gun manner? What exactly do you think the headline of the story will be?

The headline will certainly be derogatory towards guns. The principal may even come out looking like a hero somehow...seriously. The plight of your girlfriend will be lost underneath the sensationalism about the "fully automatic AK-47 assualt rifle" that the kid brought to school.

41magsnub
April 17, 2008, 05:18 PM
Zero tolerance is crazy as mentioned for suspending a student over a butter knife or gun shaped chicken nugget, but a little panic is called for when a student shows up to class with a hit list and a real gun.

If I were your GF (I'm not and I'm a dude, don't read anything into that) I would be looking for different employment. Between the kid with a gun, lack of interest by the administration, and the apparent prejudice against her it is time, noting good will come from that job.

Mr White
April 17, 2008, 07:02 PM
SniperX, If all else fails, send an email to Nancy Grace. I hate that annoying bitch but she is a master at grabbing a story like that and sensationalizing it beyond all belief.

jakemccoy
April 17, 2008, 08:12 PM
I'm confused by people recommending immediately going to the media. Do the other options first (police, school board, law suit). As I explained above in more detail, the anti-gun media is not going to highlight the plight of the girlfriend. Unfortunately, I'm expecting the OP to come back to complain about how the media twisted the story.

Rachen
April 17, 2008, 08:24 PM
Hey Rachen, read a little closer, my GF isn't a liberal, everybody else except one teacher there at her school is. She is like me, and even owns four guns of her own. OH yeah, and BTW she is a southern girl, we live in "near" a town of 254 people up in the mountains....on a ranch.

Whoops, sorry!:) My fault, I was in such a rush this morning. I only had the time to read the first few sentences before I threw in my hasty reply. I just finished one class and had to catch the uptown train. 5 minute ride to next class. And only 15 minutes in between to browse THR and/or get some hot tea.

Sorry once again.

BUT, I have to say this again. I only date libertarian or conservative girls because they are more family oriented.

soccergod04
April 17, 2008, 08:43 PM
A kid I went to high school with had a hit list and no gun and got suspended for 365 days, no questions asked. He's actually a pretty decent kid (believe it or not) and I doubt would have done anything. However, I think that this was the correct reaction to the situation and the principal in your situation should be fired, along with the rest of the school board if they don't do anything more aggressive.

Oh, and your GF and the two kids should probably be up for some sort of award.

another okie
April 18, 2008, 06:15 PM
Here's some context: Federal law requires schools which receive federal funding to suspend students for a year if they bring a gun to school. However, the law also says it should interpreted consistently with the Americans with Disabilities Acts, which is usually interpreted to mean that the suspension rule does not apply to students with disabilities. Thus the principal is probably following state law (which can vary this policy slightly, but not much.)

As painful as it may be, your girlfriend probably should either shut up or find another job.

Calling the media may well result in some sort of disciplinary action against her for violating the student's privacy and perhaps also a lawsuit under the ADA against her personally on the same grounds. No school district wants to hire someone who points out problems in the special education area, because many school districts have violent and unteachable children in those classes.

And the media will probably not react as we expect, since the child has a disability. They may view your girlfriend as the bad person for bringing up the child's problems, and the child as the victim.

Henry Bowman
April 18, 2008, 06:29 PM
So a menatally deficient student who has the mental capacity to make a hit list and obtain an effective tool for making the hits and bring the tool and list to the place where the people on the list are located... is not a genuine danger because... they're mentally deficient???? But an honor student in advanced placement classes would be???

Again, this is not about whether mandatory suspension or other zero-discretion rules make sense. This is a clear and present danger. If the principal has taken appropriate steps to ensure the safety of the students and staff at the school, those in the know deserve an explanation that provides at least some level of confidence. This is not about "feeling" safe, this is about being safe.

jakemccoy
April 18, 2008, 06:39 PM
I think some people here are coming from a idealistic view that needs to be tempered with reality. My mom has been teaching special ed for over 35 years, and I've volunteered on several occasions. Another_Okie had some good points. It would be wise to read it through without getting overly defensive.

Another point about the media is that they will NOT be taking the girlfriend's word at face value and going will-nilly with a grand story. No offense, but I don't take the girlfriend's word at face value either, and I shouldn't.

Guess what, the media will be consulting the spokesperson for the school. In California at least, that spokesperson is the principal...just something to ponder.

Should something be done? Yes definitely, read my other posts regarding the sequence.

cpttango30
April 18, 2008, 08:54 PM
this is what I would do.
1. Call police.
2. Call newspapers and tv and radio
3. Call school board
4. Call the school District and demand they look into it.
5. Call the head of the PTO
6. Encourage gf to start packin.
7. Get as many names of parents that have children in that school and start calling them too and telling them what happend. Then tell each parent to pass the information along to friends with children in that school.

If a bunch of mothers start calling and raising cane about this you better believe it will get taken care of quick fast and in a big hurry.

another okie
April 19, 2008, 07:07 PM
Rereading my post I want to apologize. My phrase "shut up or find another job" was harshly phrased. However, my substantive advice remains the same.

Lupinus
April 19, 2008, 07:17 PM
ahem

I don't think the cops would take to likely to this. Call them. Sooner is better then later. Have your gf give the full story.

Things like this are serious, very serious. I also doubt they will stand for any more bone head things from the principle.

I'm all for letting a kid hang his deer rifle in the truck and all. But when you have a kid with not just a gun but a hit list.

If you enjoyed reading about "What would you guys do if you heard this!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!