Which 1911 best out of box?

PDA

MarcusWendt
April 17, 2008, 01:24 PM
Here is my situation. I'm considering getting a 1911. It will be a fun gun only. Not likely I'll shoot it more than once a month at the most. It's more of a I want a 1911 to round out my collection kind of purchase.

I'd prefer it be very functional and reliable right out of the box. I don't want to have to out a lot of work into it to make it work right.

I know I'll likely pay over 1K, but I don't want to go crazy. Sub $1500 would be nice, sub $1200.00 would be better.

I am really only interested in a few brands. Among these brands I'd be interested to know what model you recommend?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which 1911 best out of box?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
austin360
April 17, 2008, 01:28 PM
The Sig GSR Revolution is the best 1911 I've owned/shot!

jdc1244
April 17, 2008, 01:45 PM
I am really only interested in a few brands.

I assume those are the brands you listed in your poll.

Regardless, I can say all the new Colts Iíve owned have been perfect out of the box and Colt is as good if not better than some youíve listed. The S 70 reissue has been outstanding.

Good luck and enjoy your new 1911. :)

Ske1etor
April 17, 2008, 02:50 PM
My opinion is either the Kimber Custom TLE II or Springfield Loaded.

boogalou
April 17, 2008, 03:09 PM
You don't need to spend that amount of money to get a reliable and accurate 1911 out of "the box".

Old Dog
April 17, 2008, 03:25 PM
At least locally, seems in the production 1911 market one goes from about the $750 to $850 price range directly to the $1050 - $1150 price range -- nothing in between.

So, well, if one had to choose from only the four makers the OP stipulated ...

I'd go along with exactly what Ske1etor put forth (and both retail for 750-800 bucks around here) -- the Springfield Loaded or the Kimber Custom TLE II. I have both; each is more than adequate in the accuracy department, each has been 100% reliable smack out of the box (no malfunctions of any type, ever, with any brand or configuration of .45 ACP ammo and each has seen well over 2500 rounds).

I do like the Kimber's Meprolight nightsights a bit more than the SA's Novak-licensed Trijicons; the Mepros have larger dots and seem a tad brighter.

The TLE II also has excellent frontstrap checkering but but no ambi-safety.

The Springer has an ambi-safety and a smooth frontstrap.

Both of these pistols can be had in either a parkerized (SA), black (Kimber's "Kim-Pro") or stainless steel. The stainless loaded is a bright finish on the frame and slide flats but the TLE II has a matte stainless finish.

Also each can be had in a 4" version, SA's "Champion" or Kimber's "Pro."

TLE II comes with only one magazine where the SA gives you two in the box and a coupon to order more factory mags at a low price from the company ...

Of those two, it's pretty much a wash for me. I've no exerience with any S&W 1911s or SIG's version (though I love my S&W revolvers and SIG P-series pistols).

surjimmy
April 17, 2008, 04:21 PM
Les Baer, go to proload.com John will make your dreams come true.

CWL
April 17, 2008, 04:42 PM
For a grand, Springfield or Dan Wesson.

Eightball
April 17, 2008, 04:46 PM
FWIW, I hear more people complaining about Kimber than it's probably worth, haven't heard much about the SIG offering, and something about paying $600+ for Springfield Armory "Made in Brazil" 1911 strikes me wrong (not that they're necissarily bad firearms, just that they're charging that much for it).

Voted S&W, because I really haven't heard many complaints about them. Though, I have to ask--why not order a Colt WWI Repro or Series 70 Repro if it's going to be "once a month" at best?

Texastbird
April 17, 2008, 04:48 PM
I wanted to spend a lot less for a 1911, so I went with the Taurus, and its great for the money. If I was going to spend around a thousand, it would have to be a Dan Wesson Valor. A custom pistol without the custom price.

MarcusWendt
April 17, 2008, 04:55 PM
Hmm,

Obviously I haven't looked closely enough at prices. I'm surprised they are that inexpensive.

Sig would have been my first choice, but Springfield was a very close second.

I really don't have any good reason to settle on these four except that I have a gun from each except Kimber and I've always been happy with the customer service from these 3 that I've dealt with. I've heard good and bad about the Kimber so I just figured I'd throw it in there.

Ske1etor
April 17, 2008, 05:17 PM
"Made in Brazil" 1911 strikes me wrong (not that they're necissarily bad firearms, just that they're charging that much for it).

IMBEL (Induststria de Material Belico do Brazil) makes some of the best production 1911's out there. They are just really difficult to get a hold of here in the states. In Brazil they are in very high demand due to the fact that most of their production is now going into slides for Springfield Armory.

rellascout
April 17, 2008, 05:39 PM
Colt

Or Dan Wesson.

IF was spending $1200 on a 1911 right now it would be the new Dan Wesson Valor

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/severnscustom/ValorIII.jpg

FEG
April 17, 2008, 05:42 PM
For a grand, Springfield or Dan Wesson.

With a DW PM-7, that would still give you $150-$200 for ammo and a holster. I'm curious why the original poster did not include these on the list...

There's enough different Springfield models that you should be able to find what you want in that $700-$1,000 range.

Geno
April 17, 2008, 05:46 PM
Colt, Colt or Colt. Take your pick.

http://coltsmfg.com/cmci/pistols.asp

Those are pretty, reliable, accurate. They're Colts. Everything else is an imitation.

GearHead_1
April 17, 2008, 05:51 PM
Of those listed I can only comment on the Kimber and SA but I could also give you a first hand opinion on Colt should you wish. Both are great guns and you wouldn't regret owning either. All things being equal I prefer the Kimber over the SA. Fit finish and the way it feels in my hand is just better.

10-Ring
April 17, 2008, 06:00 PM
I have a natural love for Colts but ever since my DW CBOB, I've learned to appreciate DW's too :D

possum
April 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
i have an mc operatot, which is a sa, and i would buy another in a heartbeat. they are less than you want to spend, even the loaded series is way less than you are planning on spending. either way sa is the way to go, and they have many models that will serve you well.,

2nd 41
April 17, 2008, 06:18 PM
Colt Gold Cup. I'm on my 3rd. The GC is a cut above. I have a SA Loaded. Very nice but does not compare.

punkkin
April 17, 2008, 06:38 PM
Springfield Loaded 1911 has been 100% for me. Couldn't ask for more.

MarcusWendt
April 17, 2008, 06:59 PM
mc operatot

What is that?

I didn't mention Colt as I just don't know enough about them. To be honest, I didn't know they were still in business.

Dan Wesson? Well, I've heard good things about Dan Wesson, but I always thought they were very high end. I suppose if the price is right...

ShooterX
April 17, 2008, 09:11 PM
i like my Taurus even though the grips suck.

mpc12
April 17, 2008, 09:15 PM
I vote Dan Wesson.

MICHAEL T
April 17, 2008, 10:09 PM
Colt or Dan Wesson .

BikerRN
April 18, 2008, 06:24 AM
I just recently picked up a 1911 after not having or carrying one for about five years.

With that said, I'm loving my Springfield "Loaded" and it's been 100% reliable. I looked at Kimber and a few others, even the Taurus, but felt I got the most bang for my buck with the Springfield.

BikerRN

Browns Fan
April 18, 2008, 08:16 AM
The only guns that I have traded/sold that I wish I had back are Colts. I had 2 that were great guns. Having said that, my current 1911 is a Detonics 9-11-01, and it's my best 1911 yet.

If I had the funds, I'd get the DW Valor, or another Colt.

GearHead_1
April 18, 2008, 11:44 AM
It's interesting that the original poster states that he's only interested in a few brands (those listed in the poll) but the need to make further recommendations can't be helped. Many give an opinion on what they would get but never address the question the OP has asked.

FEG
April 18, 2008, 11:56 AM
It's interesting that the original poster states that he's only interested in a few brands (those listed in the poll) but the need to make further recommendations can't be helped. Many give an opinion on what they would get but never address the question the OP has asked.

It's the internet...people don't read the instructions, as it were...

GearHead_1
April 18, 2008, 12:28 PM
It's the internet...people don't read the instructions, as it were...Don't get me wrong I'm as guilty as the rest of the "Internet". It's just kind of funny and worse yet here I am jacking the thread talking about something else that is unimportant to the OP. Sorry about that MarcusWendt, I'll shut up now.

ojibweindian
April 18, 2008, 12:47 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of Springfield 1911s. Most of the guys that shoot the monthly IDPA match at my club, in the CDP division, use a Springer of some sort. Me, I shoot the Springfield GI. A few others shoot a Springer Mil-Spec. The rest shoot a Springfield Loaded.

I compete in the matches using reloads consisting of a 225 grain lead truncated cone bullet. The other guys run a 200 grain LSWC bullet. None of us have had our guns choke.

I recommend a Springfield of some sort. And taking a cost/benefit point of view, I think your best bet is the Mil-Spec; sights are better than the GI model, and observable real-world mechanical accuracy between the GI, Mil-Spec, and the Loaded are statisically insignificant. Cost for the Mil-Spec is about $100 more than the GI, and about $250 less than the Loaded.

The Loaded sure is pretty, though :D

Well, there's my $0.02 worth.

FEG
April 18, 2008, 12:58 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm as guilty as the rest of the "Internet". It's just kind of funny and worse yet here I am jacking the thread talking about something else that is unimportant to the OP. Sorry about that MarcusWendt, I'll shut up now.

No big deal. We are both guilty now!

Back on topic: I'm not really sure how accurate any of us can be in evaluating the models, because of the "small sample size" problem. Most of the models that the OP listed are known as being pretty reliable out of the box, but you have to make the plunge to find out with a 1911. That said, I have never personally seen any of the makes/models discussed so far fail to feed ball. I have seen that with some of the "others."

DFW1911
April 18, 2008, 01:40 PM
I voted Springfield: they've been my favorites of any 1911 model I've bought. They've proven to be utterly reliable, good with various types of ammo and a lot of bang for the buck (so to speak).

I'm not implying the others aren't as good, I just don't own as many, so sheer volume and experience are my deciding factors!

Thanks,
DFW1911

tackleberry45
April 18, 2008, 03:06 PM
I voted Smith. I have nothing against Springer though. I have 2 STI 1911s that are excellent also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which 1911 best out of box?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!