How much for an effective ad campaign?

PDA

Blackbeard
April 17, 2008, 01:19 PM
I keep seeing these anti-smoking ads funded by the tobacco lawsuit settlement, by outfits like that truth.org and such. Anyone know how much money they put into that campaign?

I'd really like to have a campaign to debunk the myths about gun control. I have so many ideas for spots but no way to communicate them to the people that need to hear them. I've never seen an NRA ad. Do they have an advertising budget, or do they spend it all on lobbying and preaching to the choir?

If you enjoyed reading about "How much for an effective ad campaign?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NC Dave
April 18, 2008, 08:51 PM
I'm not in the business, but this is what I find after a few searches...

Not even counting the production cost of producing the ad, a 30 second spot on any major network during prime-time is going to cost at $200,000 each and go up from there depending on the popularity of the show. For example, a single 30 second spot on American Idol goes for north of $600,000.

Reference: http://www.frankwbaker.com/2006_2007_ad_rates.htm

Winchester 73
April 18, 2008, 10:05 PM
For example, a single 30 second spot on American Idol goes for north of $600,000.

I could say a lot in 30 seconds de-bunking gun control.
The 600 gee's does put somewhat of a damper on it,however.

TexasSkyhawk
April 19, 2008, 11:26 AM
Average cost for producing a thirty-second TV spot, with any semblance of quality at all, is between $200,000 and $1,000,000.

As stated earlier, the media costs of running per spot on a national basis are astronomical.

And finally, if the network(s) chosen to run the ads debunking gun control, et al, didn't want to run your spots, they wouldn't have to.

Jeff

Jim K
April 19, 2008, 07:37 PM
A full page ad in the New York Times runs about $100k; I think the Washington Post is cheap at a mere $40k. Ad campaigns sound great until it is time to pony up.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "How much for an effective ad campaign?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!