CC and Schools

PDA

nc76
April 17, 2008, 10:50 PM
In North Carolina it is illegal to posses a firearm either concealed or in plain view on school property. I wonder if anyone has ever been busted when picking up or dropping off their kid at shcool. I know you would have to be doing something really stupid to get caught, but it could happen.

Say you were pulling into the school and your brake light was out and a cop happened to be behind you. You pull in and he follows and confronts you. In NC you have to inform the officer if you are carrying concealled. If you don't he will probably know by running your license. If you do, you are committing a crime.

I would be interested in others comments on this scenario, as it probably happens quite often by ordinary lawful citizens that can legally carry concealed.

If you enjoyed reading about "CC and Schools" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheBluesMan
April 17, 2008, 11:36 PM
There is a federal law that governs having a firearm in your vehicle when at a school for an official school-related function. It allows you to keep it in a locked container, unloaded and you have to lock your car too. Can't find my source right now...

-Dave

mekender
April 18, 2008, 12:26 AM
state of NC makes it a misdemeanor to have one in you car on school campus regardless... if you leave the care with it, its a felony

brokencowboy
April 18, 2008, 11:39 AM
Knew of a gentleman in Rowan county who was called for a medical emergency with his son at school. He forgot he had a shotgun in a rack on the back window. He parked at the front of the school & went in. Resource officer saw the gun & arrested him. Case was later dismissed due to the circumstances of the emergency,

mekender
April 18, 2008, 08:24 PM
sad thing about NC law... if you were concealed carrying and got into an accident, you couldnt legally stop on school grounds... worse, if you were ejected from the vehicle, you would be guilty of a felony

If you enjoyed reading about "CC and Schools" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!