Car Sticker... A for armed

PDA

wambli_7
April 18, 2008, 09:04 AM
I just bought these window decals for my car… they kind of look like the round stickers for a country… you see on cars… it has a big A in the center and in little words around the top it says Conceal Carry and around the bottom it says Armed… well thought they looked nice and got one. I then saw posts on another website saying why would you put those on your car and tell everyone you were carrying… you could have your car broken into except I don’t keep a gun in my car… house broken into except I have a large safe that I keep them in… that sort of thing… and why advertise you carry… I thought about it and also thought that maybe it was advertising for the right to carry…

Should I put these on my car… would I be making a mistake or is it a good advertisement for 2nd amendment rights… I got a chuckle out of the stickers… A for Armed

If you enjoyed reading about "Car Sticker... A for armed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ltlabner
April 18, 2008, 09:09 AM
My personal opinion is not to put gun related bumperstickers on my car. I don't like bumperstickers anyway, but I don't want to advertise my CCW with a sticker.

No anti is going to be pursuaded by a bumpersticker, an NRA emblem or the like. I'd rather do all I can to remain in stealth mode regarding my weapon.

Same holds true for wearing gun related hats, shirts, etc.

Lastly, if your car is covered in stickers and your hat says something about "cold dead hands..." and you are involved in a self defence shooting, it gives the anti prosecuter more ammo to hang you.

Sato Ord
April 18, 2008, 09:09 AM
I'm with the don't advertise crowd.

I've always seen those signs that say things like "Insured by Smith and Wesson", or "Forget the dog, Beware of the Owner" as saying, "Hey, Bad Guys, if this car/house is unoccupied you can steal some big ticket firearms here. Come break a window an take them!"

I don't see the one you bought as anything more than a more polite version of that same statement.

Of course I do like the bumper sticker that says, "Ted Kennedy's registered car has killed more people than unregistered firearm.":evil:

PS The only sticker on my car is the one that supports John McCain that I have stuck to the rear window. A US MARINES emblem is on the other side in support of my friend in the Corps.

jackstinson
April 18, 2008, 09:17 AM
I don't put any stickers on my vehicles or home. No "Protected By Smith & Wesson", no "Kel-Tec Fanboy", not even a "Right To Keep And Bear Arms" or a "Jeep Kid peeing on a Hummer". From my personal experience, stickers scream to thieves that your vehicle may contain something they want and they'll break into it just to have a look around.
Years ago I had stickers on my vehicles....one was broken into 5 times, the next was broken into 4 times. In spite of the alarm, stereos, power amps, crossovers, speakers, etc were stolen each time. I never drove near my neighborhood with the stereo turned up loud...but I finally figured out it was the stickers on the windows catching the thieves' eye.
I removed all stickers and I haven't had a problem in the years since.

I also don't wear gun advert clothing, other than the small Cabelas logo sewn on the back of my coat. I like to keep a low profile as far as firearms go.
YMMV,
Jack

Ske1etor
April 18, 2008, 09:24 AM
I have the Kimber script logo on the back glass of my truck. I really don't see a problem with it. It is your choice.

I have had stickers on the glass of every vehicle I have ever owned, never been broken into. (Never bumper stickers, they are tacky looking. High quality die cut vinyl only...)

Ske1etor
April 18, 2008, 09:30 AM
Sounds like the same old "Fear mongering" that we normally pass off on to the anti's for saying things like "Yeah, but guns on campus will result in drunk frat boy fights turning into gun battles!"

tntwatt
April 18, 2008, 09:43 AM
I don't know that I'd put a sticker advertising that I'm armed on my vehicle. Sounds too much like the CCW badges you can buy on line. Kind of mall nija. A tasteful sticker supporting your troops or favorite firearm manufacturer is an all together different story.

Owen
April 18, 2008, 09:46 AM
The was something else a big A stood for. I seem to recall it being red, or maybe Scarlet?

Can't seem to recall...

Was is Adultery?

Clipper
April 18, 2008, 09:48 AM
Dumbest thing I've heard of in a long time...The fact you don't leave guns in your car will be cold comfort when you find it broken into by some wishful crook...A couple $300.00 window replacements will set you straight.

Ske1etor
April 18, 2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, Adultery... and the Hindu Swastika means Neo-Nazi and the Confederate Battle flag means Racist redneck...

Nugilum
April 18, 2008, 09:51 AM
The key word in CCW is "concealed" ;)

In all aspects...

aka108
April 18, 2008, 09:51 AM
Not a good thing to advertise.

CTPistol
April 18, 2008, 09:58 AM
A sticker has no value. All it says is "I think Im cool because i have a gun"

discretion is important.

davidconatser
April 18, 2008, 10:04 AM
I think there is a bit of a process that occurs when we enter a new phase of our lives.

If we have been condition white and defenseless for years or decades then wake up, move to condition yellow and begin to think seriously about security, we want to share our newfound wisdom and prudence.

Not altogether unlike a smoker or dipper who quits. We go through an evangelical phase where we want to tell everyone and help them see the light.

With a little time, we mellow out a bit and although we still want to help others see their responsibilities and the importance of self defense, we become a bit lower key.

In your face stuff is not effective and can be counterproductive.

Not to mention tempting thieves to break into your house or car or a young punk to build his cred by taking out an armed person.

Ron Paul or John McCain stickers or especially the "Proud Navy Parent" sort of thing seem more likely to elicit a positive response than some of the funnier things out there.

We can share the funny stuff and lampoon the libs on THR.

So long as we remember that those who would take our freedoms read the site too.

Sorry to go so long. I bought the stickers too. But did not post them.

Elza
April 18, 2008, 10:10 AM
I don’t much care who knows that I carry as far as friends and family are concerned. However I certainly don’t advertise it to the general public.

shdwfx
April 18, 2008, 10:20 AM
Put it right next to the 'A' for Alcohol car sticker.

Dirtypacman
April 18, 2008, 11:08 AM
Although I love to support the cause - I would not advertise that I have or carry a gun.

I think it puts you at a disadvantage and makes an empty car or house a target for someone looking to steal.

Going to the range/club or gun show I would wear gun related clothing, patches, etc.

MarcusWendt
April 18, 2008, 11:43 AM
You don't keep a gun in your car and you have a safe, that's great, but do you have that on your sticker as well? If not, some moron won't know an give it a shot. Broken window, jimmied locks, broken door, other stuff taken. Was it worth it?

What's the point of concealed carry if you announce it? You loose the element of surprise.

I think stickers like that are a bad idea. I think any gun stickers on your car are a bad idea. Sure, I've thought about it, but in the end it's not worth the hassle.

yhtomit
April 18, 2008, 11:55 AM
No gun-related stickers on my current car (well, I do have a giant "RON PAUL 08!" on the rear window with the scrubbable glass paint), not even a tasteful NRA sticker. On my old Saab, I had one (from a gun show, probably a Saxen show near Austin) that merely said "Criminals Prefer Unarmed Victims." Slight risk that someone would take it to mean I was armed while in the car? That's actually a risk I want, I think, if it has the desired deterrence effect. Slight risk that someone would think they could find and steal guns by breaking in when I wasn't there? Perhaps so (though that wasn't the case), but it never happened.

Do you think all that many thieves would recognize a "MOLON LABE" sticker for meaning anything in particular? Some, doubtless, but adding together the fuzzy risk diagrams, doesn't seem like a *high* risk, and depending on what satisfaction you get out of expressing yourself in this way (everyone's different), the trade-off might we well worth it.

timothy

Mr. Designer
April 18, 2008, 11:56 AM
I don't want to advertise that fact.

randyz
April 18, 2008, 12:26 PM
I wouldnt advertise.

fletcher
April 18, 2008, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't do it.

An "A" sticker would be fine if you were into that sort of thing, but the additional text above and below it just ruins any symbolism or message the creator thinks he/she has.

strat81
April 18, 2008, 12:35 PM
Disco Stu doesn't advertise.

yhtomit
April 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
Disco Stu doesn't advertise.

Hey, that sounds like advertising to me ;)

timothy

Joe Gunns
April 18, 2008, 01:19 PM
Just don't get arrested, looks bad for the cause. Earlier this week I drove by some guy in the process of being cuffed by the local pd, had a 12" diameter NRA sticker in the rear side window of his SUV. :(

springmom
April 18, 2008, 01:38 PM
We have an NRA sticker on a couple of our cars, and my car has a TSRA magnet. But I see those as advertising the organizations. Saying "I'm armed" on a sticker seems a silly thing to do. None of anyone's business.

Springmom

Rugerlvr
April 18, 2008, 01:41 PM
I would think the sticker could be construed as an assault in itself by some LEOs. If you are carrying, even letting someone know you are carrying can be an assault.

Bad idea IMHO.

Personally I have never ever put a bumper sticker on any of my cars. Aside from thinking it makes it look junky, I don't need hassles from someone who disagrees with me. Now the exceptions to that, are I have put a Masonic emblem on my car, along with a nice University of Utah Trailer hitch cover (I'm an alum.)

ArmedBear
April 18, 2008, 01:42 PM
A is the sticker for the great nation of Austria.

Bang Gunley
April 18, 2008, 01:53 PM
Once upon a once -- back during the first month or so when I was experiencing the joys of concealed carry -- I had an NRA sticker on my car's rear window. Also, I had one on my front door.

Then, after a few months of a bit more thought -- and after reading other opinions here and at USCCA -- I came to think that, as the fellow said here, the operative word in CCW is CONCEALED.

Today I have no firearm related stickers on my car, house or about my person. In the dooryard to my office, however, I have a metal sign, black background with white letters that reads: IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE IN RANGE. It generates a LOT of positive comments from customers but not one person has asked if I carry a firearm.

Bottom line, I'd stay away from the oval A sticker and all others that might betray you as one who carries a concealed weapon.

Have a day. Bang Gunley

dtown240
April 18, 2008, 01:56 PM
I just don't like stickers on my car.

That being said, Security through obscurity isn't very effective. Spreading the word and involving our fellow citizens is the only way to expand our perspective; If this is your token to that, I say go for it and put the sticker on your car. Please be aware of the consequences (BOTH good and bad).

Good: Somebody may stop you to engage in conversation, or question your motives for putting such a sticker on your car.

Bad: Thieves may decide that your vehicle is now a target.

My main point is that it is your vehicle, and you are free to express yourself in any way YOU wish with it. If you DO decide to go forth with it, then you have made an educated decision on the possible ramifications of your choice of expression.

Also remember, that once you are advertising your expression, you are also setting an example to the Public in General. I would strongly recommend AGAINST putting the sticker on the car if your driving habits are aggressive in nature.

bogie
April 18, 2008, 02:42 PM
I like -stealth- stickers myself...

Like I have some IDPA ovals... And I've got an IDPA "don't shoot hands" oval sticker too. If you don't know what they mean, well, fine. But if you do know, it's immediately apparent that you're a member of the club.

Zach S
April 18, 2008, 03:33 PM
I had a Sig Sauer sticker on my 94 Caprice, my guess is that most folks didnt know what it was. You never hear about a Sig in a rap song, its always a tec-9 or glock foty.

I dont have any stickers on my street beaters now. While you might not keep a gun in the car, it may still get broken into, and that sucks.

Treo
April 18, 2008, 03:53 PM
I used to have a "Veterans For Bush" sticker on my car. About a year ago my wife was out driving the car and some phsycotic liberal chased her from one end of Nevada Ave. (local main drag) to the other SCREAMING obsenities & laying the blame for every person who has died in Iraq since the dawn of time on my wife. This was pre-CCW ( in fact it was the catalyst FOR CCW) and my wife was terrified, when she told me the story I went out and took every single sticker off both cars except for a Cross on each.

I don't advertise I have a Cabella's hat but most people that ask associate it W/ fishing.

What I do on my time is MY business I don't wear gun hats I don't wear gun shirts I don't discuss guns at work .

Sniper X
April 18, 2008, 04:08 PM
Oddly enough, I don't think it is a good idea to advertise you do CCW. I do have my Special Forces sticker on my back window, looks like a University sticker, and my HAM call on a window, but otherwsie no gun stickers. I use to have a Sniper sticker on the bumper my son gave me and the whfee suggested I put it on the bumper because the son gave it to me for Bday.

I also think that it could get your car vandalized by Rabid Antis. Here in NM I once caught a total Libby Keying my Blazer because I had a Rabel Flag sticker on the rear diff cover. But that was a factory sticker by a now defenct company called rebel off road Diff Covers.

He got a citation for it cause I called the cops. But I never put another sticker that could put my property at risk after that.

Should have heard his assonine excuse to the cop......the cop was black BTW and wasn't offended by the flag.

bogie
April 18, 2008, 04:12 PM
I do think that it's a good thing that people get exposed to some of the stuff tho - They come to take it for granted, you know?

Dorryn
April 18, 2008, 06:58 PM
and the Hindu Swastika means Neo-Nazi

Yeah...no. Uh, im gonna go out on a limb and say that there are probably not many - if any- Hindus with the reverse swastika on their cars. Straw man argument.

slohand
April 18, 2008, 07:11 PM
I've always refused to put stickers or decals on any of my vehicles.

However, while surfing the web one day, I found myself on RKBAbang.com. They had some very nice oval RKBA stickers, similar to those country of origin type stickers.

As their website says, when someone asks, "What country does RKBA stand for?" Reply, "This one!"...and I just couldn't help myself!

Atla
April 18, 2008, 07:16 PM
I wear gun shirts 60% of the time. Even to college.

Sorry folks, but if these turd burgling liberals get to wear Che Guevera hats and shirts - I'm wearing what I stand for.

The rest of you can do as you please.

Nate C.
April 19, 2008, 01:28 AM
I would (and have) displayed NRA / TSRA stickers, but never anything that explicityly says "Hey, look over here. Look what I have." That seems like a bad idea, particularly if you ever leave your property stored inside your vehicle.

VPLthrneck
April 19, 2008, 02:51 AM
I wear gun shirts 60% of the time. Even to college.

Kudos to you, I bet that gets those lib profs going:D

I'm not a big fan of most decals on vehicles, but I do like tasteful and classic ones. I've had stickers on every vehicle I've had and not one incident. The decals usually ranged from radio stations to NRA to NASCAR to state logos.
My current car has two NRA decals, #24 and 48 badges on the trunk, and Michael Waltrip front license frame. Most comments I get are from people asking how the race season is going and they act like/or don't notice the NRA window stickers.
The one thing I've noticed with the NRA decals, if someone quickly glances at it they mistake it for the USMC emblem.
As for gun shirts--to me it's tacky to wear them to a gun store or range. So instead I wear them (or my Rush Limbaugh ones) to Starbucks in the morning. You should see the looks. :evil:

Australian Shooter
April 19, 2008, 02:59 AM
Isn't there NRA number plates available for Ohio residents? Number plates, IMHO, stands out more that bumper stickers.

monadh
April 19, 2008, 07:41 AM
Here in Memphis, if you take a CCW course at Rangemasters you get one of their stickers, suitable for the car. Understated but identifiable, everyone here knows that it means the person has training at a good range. I don't think anyone with one has been carjacked.

If you enjoyed reading about "Car Sticker... A for armed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!