Were your parents Anti or no?

PDA

gunNoob
April 18, 2008, 10:30 AM
What were your parents?

My mom is anti but since I bought my guns, she is more neutral than anti now.

Dad was Army but never owned a gun. I'd say he is neutral when it's not Military weapons.

poll soon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Were your parents Anti or no?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ltlabner
April 18, 2008, 10:31 AM
My mom hates guns, but never said I couldn't have one. I had tons of the early 1980's very accurate toy guns and she never got all worked up about it.

Now, she knows I CCW and doesn't say a word about it. She's asked some questions about it, but never gone all anti about it. Bascially, she doesn't like them, but she's not going to try to impose her will on someone else.

My father just doesn't care one way or another.

igpoobah
April 18, 2008, 10:34 AM
Someone will ask, might as well be me. What is HUGO?

Eric F
April 18, 2008, 10:35 AM
dad is and always will be pro gun but Mom started out that way and now is a flamming anti gun liberal I have no clue what has happened in the past 20 years to make her that way??

gunNoob
April 18, 2008, 10:36 AM
^It's an admin from another forum I frequent and everyone uses him as a poll option, haha.

jackstinson
April 18, 2008, 10:45 AM
Since the poll answers assume BOTH parents agreed on one thing, I could not respond to it.
My mom disliked guns. My dad owned several long guns & handguns and was an avid hunter. Unfortunately, I didn't see him after I was 8 years old. I never got the benefit of his firearm knowledge.
However, my mom gave me my first firearm (Savage 22/410) when I was 12, she wasn't totally against them.
BTW- My mom was an "auntie" to my cousins....does that count?
Jack

Here is my dad and his brother long ago.....
http://weirdjack.com/guns/stinson-cecil-john-small.jpg

Dope
April 18, 2008, 10:47 AM
My mother is anti. Didn't even like me having toy squirt guns as a kid.

My father is neutral.

Dope

SaxonPig
April 18, 2008, 10:47 AM
This is my dad in 1951 shooting his 1st generation Colt SAA by the side of the road somewhere in Missouri.

Mom is 81 and still keeps a loaded S&W Model 10 with a 5" barrel in the night stand.

http://www.fototime.com/BEB87CC1B3115AC/standard.jpg

BTW-What's HUGO?

Sato Ord
April 18, 2008, 10:50 AM
I remember my parents filling out a homeowners insurance form when I was eight, and they had to list all of the guns if they wanted them covered.

I won't bore you with the details about the insurance agent's reaction.

The final count, 42 rifles, 9 pistols, 6 shotguns in the smokeless category. 5 pistols, and 3 rifles in the black powder category. Not to mention all of the reloading gear that went along for the ride.

We lived in Falls Church, Virginia on at the time in a section called Tyler Park, right next door to the Episcopal Church, just behind the little league ball field.

Deanimator
April 18, 2008, 10:58 AM
My mother was obnoxiously anti-gun until somebody hit her upside the head and took her purse. Then she had to have a gun... too bad she lived in Apartheid Chicago.

When I told her I planned to get my CCW, she said she didn't want me to carry a gun. I asked her, "So, you're planning to follow me wherever I go and throw yourself between me and somebody who'd maim or kill me?" End of discussion...

gunNoob
April 18, 2008, 11:01 AM
I made it multiple choice just in case your parents were different. Feel free to select 2 options. HUGO is just a joke from another forum :)

Chipperman
April 18, 2008, 11:04 AM
Both parents were pretty pro-gun, although neither were shooters. I grew up with guns in the house, but I was the only one who ever used them.

jdc1244
April 18, 2008, 11:36 AM
My mother’s family are passionate shotgunners. My father was military and has a few revolvers and a 336 I’d like to get my hands on someday. :evil:

rady8um
April 18, 2008, 11:51 AM
Mom and Dad both pro gun and both own.

Dad a little less these days since I confiscated his stainless .357 service revolver.......and his BUG, a stainless .38 snub.........and his Vietnam era, built from parts, 1911..........and his 300 Savage that he bought new in 1969(?)......and his single shot .22 rifle.........and his.....no, that's it. He won't let me anywhere near the rest of them. I wonder why?:p

Sniper X
April 18, 2008, 11:54 AM
Mom was nuetral but leaned toward positive on ownership. Especially after I started doing firearms training videos and making more money than I was in the Army! She never owned a gun herself, but assisted me in getting my first three at 9 10 and 19. Dad was cool about guns till he got back from Viet Nam the fourth tour, then he was probably anti as he became a liberal.

Dirtypacman
April 18, 2008, 12:00 PM
Anti and they have both been converted.

brokencowboy
April 18, 2008, 12:12 PM
My mom was a very good shot with a rifle; used it often at our west Texas home to keep snakes & other varments away. She didn't care much for handguns, but did give me my late father's pistol when I turned 16.

frankcostanza
April 18, 2008, 12:13 PM
Whats HUGO?

jackmead
April 18, 2008, 12:14 PM
Neutral but every time an anti-gun poll came out mom would start on the anti-gun side until her dad saved me.

possum
April 18, 2008, 12:16 PM
pro gun and owned them, i was raised around guns all my life, and i really on't remember a time when i didn't have a gun around.

Cliff47
April 18, 2008, 12:23 PM
Dad had had his fill during WWII in the Pacific. Mom just didn't care to know there were any in the house.

frankie_the_yankee
April 18, 2008, 12:24 PM
My parents never let me have a bb gun or a 22 like many of my friends had. Even growing up in a metro area in the Northeast, it wasn't uncommon for kids to go to the city dump (there was such a place in those days) and plink at rats.

My dad had a 32ACP Colt pistol of some type but he never used it and as far as I knew didn't even have any ammo for it. Before I was born he had a retail business and I think he kept it around for protection at the time. I never knew what happened to it. I think my mom threw it away at some point, because when we moved I made it a point to sift through everything that was being packed up - and no Colt turned up.

Of course on my 21st birthday, the first thing I did was to go to a local gun shop and buy a Colt 38 spl Police model revolver. Mostly just because I could. This led to my "discovery" that shooting could be a lot of fun, along with a new awareness of just how badly our constitutional rights (in the Northeast) had been eroded away through the years.

MarcusWendt
April 18, 2008, 12:24 PM
My stepmother is VERY anti. My father is neutral/pro gun. He's only neutral when mom is around. He's pro when she's not. He's a smart guy. It's not all the important to him.

If they knew I was teaching their only grandchild to shoot, my SM would be highly pissed.

It can be tough talking guns or politics with my parents. Mom is a flaming liberal and dad is a hardcore right winger. I'm in between.

cpttango30
April 18, 2008, 12:57 PM
I had a crazy family. My dad grew up in Kansas right after the depression. SO they had firearms they were tools. That is the way my dad treats them. He only ever owned one that was his fathers and is now mine.

My stepmom thinks they all should be takens chopped up and turned into something more useful.

My mom and stepdad are progun my mom is more of the I don't care types and my stepdad is a full blown gun nut like myself.

Rugerlvr
April 18, 2008, 12:59 PM
I need a category for Neutral but owned. Until the age of 13, my mom was a Marine Corps brat. (Unfortunately my grandpa, the Colonel, died of scarlet fever while on active duty.) So my mom used to shoot on base ranges. I think after he died, and she and her mom & brother moved back to Utah from Quantico, she never had any interest in guns. My dad wasn't a gun guy, but was never averse, and in about 1980 we were threatened with violence while on a camping trip. He bought a handgun shortly thereafter, and we were never without it while camping again. He eventually acquired some .22 rifles, and we would go off shooting while we were out camping. One of my dad's best friends was very pro-gun, a classic "gun nut" if you'll pardon the expression. He and my dad used to go the rounds about guns, with my dad being more amenable to some kinds of gun control, and his friend being a 2A absolutist. My dad's friend died about six years ago.

They're still kinda neutral, but now that they're getting older, I think my dad's kinda interested in concealed carry, so that he can carry a gun while they're on road trips. He's concerned about car-jacking. He feels like he's growing a target on his back as he gets older, and has nice cars.

poker88
April 18, 2008, 01:06 PM
I said neutral because I never picked up that they were particularly anti while growing up. They live in IL so we did not own any guns and neither are hunters. However, now that I own guns my mom has definitely become more anti. She's not at all happy about it.

DirksterG30
April 18, 2008, 01:09 PM
My parents were anti, but they let me make up my own mind. Now they are not necessarily pro-gun, but more open. They have no problems with me open carrying in their house when I'm visiting.

Otaku201
April 18, 2008, 01:35 PM
Mother was very anti gun, saw someone get murdered in front of her, can't blame her. She always said she'd be dead before I owned a gun. This past year I've been able to talk some sense into her, thanks in part to these college massacres.

Father was neutral, had some military training, but felt he was too emotionally unstable to trust himself with a gun.

After taking them to an intro class last week, I'm fairly certain they're both on the pro side now.

retgarr
April 18, 2008, 01:49 PM
My father had a shotgun that he kept in the closet, something he got when he was younger but lost interest in. My mom was never overtly anti gun bu that seems to be her leaning. I never knew anything about guns until I went to boy scout camp, I asked my parents for a .22 rifle after that. I think my mom said no to that idea though. They at least seemed to consider it. Recently I let them know that I owned some firearms and they took it in stride. When they asked if they could get me anything for christmas and I said shotgun, my mom said no because "christmas is a time for peace". But just recently I got a shotgun for my birthday from my dad! So I still don't know but I'm working on my mom!

Soybomb
April 18, 2008, 01:50 PM
I think my parents were representative of most of the US in that they were neutral. They weren't shooters or hunters but also had no negative involvement with guns. They just simply didn't care about guns.

Kind of Blued
April 18, 2008, 01:52 PM
My father is all for having guns for hunting (although he doesn't hunt) and for target practice (although he does none of this). He prefers that the guns and magazines be unloaded and locked up in the home, rendering them inaccessible clubs should I REALLY NEED them.

He doesn't own any guns, save for the Mosin 91/30 that I bought for him. He and my mother would be in a world of trouble if a criminal wanted to pick on them.

My mother thinks they're "scary", but gew up with them enough to know that owning a gund oesn't make you a lunatic.

Guitargod1985
April 18, 2008, 01:55 PM
My mother is pro-gun and owns a revolver. That said, I didn't know she owned a gun until I bought my first one.

My Dad has never owned a gun in his life and doesn't really care for them. He believes in "reasonable restrictions" and all that nonsense and doesn't want to be educated. It's pretty strange because he is an expert in his field and otherwise a pretty logical and commonsense guy.

Sometimes he finds out I bought another one and complains about it, asking why I have to have so many. Last time I responded with "I don't ask why you have so many golf clubs, do I? I just accept that each golf club has a a different application and you enjoy your hobby. Plenty of people own more guns than I do."

My Dad: "Yeah, and you usually hear about them on the news." :rolleyes:

You just can't win with some people.

Around my Dad and stepmother, I just don't talk about guns much and they know I carry but we all just sort of pretend that I don't.

ETA: My stepmother is worse than my Dad. My stepfather owns a gun but is more neutral than anything.

Grizzly Adams
April 18, 2008, 01:56 PM
Pro-gun and owned. Breed, born, and raised in the hills of Tenn.

Samuel Adams
April 18, 2008, 01:58 PM
My mom isn't too keen on guns but my dad is mostly pro. He still has his 16 guage bolt action Mossberg that he had as a kid and has a Springfield Model 1842 made in Harpers Ferry over his fireplace.

doc2rn
April 18, 2008, 01:59 PM
My parents are split mom is avid anti- and dad was neutral. Both sides of the family had former military that where pro. Dad was pro growing up, then mom made him go neutral. Now I am pro and my brother is neutral.

.cheese.
April 18, 2008, 01:59 PM
massively anti.

Are less anti now that I've tried to reason with them, but still don't "get it" for the most part.

They won't, until they find themselves in a situation that makes them wish they had a weapon.

SUWANNEE MAN
April 18, 2008, 02:09 PM
for me, both pro RKBA. I got my first rifle in .22LR when I was 10. It was a Sears and Roebuck. It is still dead a$$ accurate, and I've taken rabbits (head shots) with the good old iron sights that came on it from about 60 yards. I couldn't even tell you how many squirrells that old .22 had taken. I haven't had fried squirrell in a few years now.

smullen
April 18, 2008, 02:54 PM
My parents and uncles on both side of the family were pro-gun and pretty big into hunting...

They bought my my 1st few long guns... Which were a .22 rifle, .410, then 12 ga...

My dad taught me gun saftey and how to shoot...

I can still remember shooting on my uncles farm in Rural Souther Missouri...

Before my mom got breast cancer she used to be pretty active in target shooting with the above mentioned long guns... Its sad that she can no longer shoulder a shotgun or large caliber rifle, becasue of a few surgerys...

I thought it was kinda cool yesterday when I was over visiting them dad and I were ""Talking Guns, crossbows and such"", mom said to dad, " I wish you would buy a Crossbow, then I could shoot again..."

Sorry to ramble, but I felt like sharing... I truely love my parents, my firearms and them raising me to do such...

PawDaddy
April 18, 2008, 03:20 PM
Growing up in LA, you didn't run across many folks that didn't love and own guns. They were, and still are very much a part of peoples' lives.

Both my parents are dead now. But, the both were pro gun all the way. My mama used to go shooting with my daddy when they first got married and she went hunting with us a few times.

I have owned numerous toy guns and then many BB/pellet guns. I have owned long guns for as long as I can remember. I got my first handgun, a revolver when I was probably 12 or 13 and a .38 Sp. not long after that. My dad loved to hunt and to shoot. He died this past Dec. while deer hunting. He went out doing something that he loved to do.

jlpskydive
April 18, 2008, 03:34 PM
Both my parents were/are Pro gun and owned/shot them. My Mother (God rest her soul) bought my Father a Winchester 94 30/30 Buffalo Bill Commemorative for their anniversary one year. That BEAUTIFUL rifle still lives in perfect condition in my safe as my dad got remarried and passed it on to me. Some of my fondest memories as a child are shooting with my dad and fishing with my mother. :):):)

JesseL
April 18, 2008, 03:36 PM
My parents were and are neutral. They were both exposed to firearms as children, but never owned any or had much interest in them.

They were okay with it when my grandfather* bought me an NRA life membership at 8 and an air rifle at 10. When I got old enough to buy my own gun they mostly just rolled their eyes.

I work for Dad's company now and he's fine with me carrying at work. If I open carry around Mom she'll usually try to pull my shirt over my pistol to conceal it.

*Grandad was a gunsmith, who hung around with the likes of George Stidworthy, Paul Marquart, & Fred Wells.

bannockburn
April 18, 2008, 03:40 PM
My mom was very anti; we couldn't even have a BB gun when we were kids, (but we did anyways). Dad was a WWII vet; guess he had enough with guns in the Army as he never owned one in his life. It wasn't because he didn't know how to use one; he shot expert with the M1 when he was in the service. Probably just didn't seem too important to him after the war. He wasn't exactly neutral because as a boy he had dreamed of having a Remington or Winchester .22 target rifle. I know this because when we cleaned out his parents house, I found all the sales brochures for them from the '30s. And he used to shoot single shot .22 rifles down in the basement of the Legion hall. After the war, he joined the American Legion and was always active with the Color Guard unit; this meant that many times me and my brother had access to old Krags, Springfield '03s, Eddystone 1917s, and much later, M1 Garands. Of course they only fired blank ammunition, but we still had fun drilling with them, working the actions, and taking them apart. So I figure my dad was on the plus gun side of being neutral.

Chortdraw
April 18, 2008, 03:48 PM
My mom and dad did not own a gun of their own but had access to mine if they needed it. I was the hunter in the family and they liked the wild game I brought home. All my friends were hunters and farmers so there were always weapons in the house and in the barns.

Vicious-Peanut
April 18, 2008, 03:52 PM
My mother grew up in a home with firearms and was neutral about them. My father grew up in a home with no firearms, but was pro gun. I am the first person in my immediate family to own firearms.

toopercentmlk
April 18, 2008, 03:54 PM
Lol hugo, bf.cotftw!

MKEITH
April 18, 2008, 04:12 PM
My dad is rabidly pro gun,and would probobly be the first one to fire a shot if a confiscation were to occur, but to him,guns are simply tools,nothing more. He really doesn't even talk about them unless i bring up the subject.

My mother absolutely positively cannot stand guns.She will literally close her eyes and tell you to take it away if she sees one. On the other hand, she also says the government has no right to say anything about private ownership,because that is a private matter. She will also acknowledge that there is a need for them so you can protect yourself. She just doesn't like them.

coloradokevin
April 18, 2008, 04:30 PM
My parents would be in relaxed neutral territory, I suppose.

My mom never liked guns, and was always afraid of them (she is still afraid of my guns now, even as I am a police officer)... But she never had a problem with me having toy guns, and never spoke of outlawing guns.

My dad was military at one point in his life. He never really liked guns or hunting (his best friend died in a hunting accident when he was young), and considered them to be tools of the trade for military/police/hunters/etc. My dad was always fine with private gun ownership, though he never owned guns. Much to his credit, he did buy me a BB gun rifle and pellet pistol when I was very young, and taught me about firearms safety (he was big on that). He also let my uncle/grandfather teach me how to shoot, and let me go hunting with some neighbors (family friends) who were avid hunters.

When I was around 15 years old my dad bought me a shotgun (a mossberg 500 I still have), after a few weeks of pleading with him to convince my mom it was okay!

So, I suppose I'd say that my parents were acceptingly neutral: They had no interest in personally owning guns, but they weren't opposed to me learning how to shoot, wanting to shoot, and owning guns.

Hot brass
April 18, 2008, 04:30 PM
Very pro gun, both parents were. Dad is dead. Mom remarried. Married a wife beater. He beat her one too many times. She shot and killed him. We never talk about it.

Bazooka Joe71
April 18, 2008, 04:31 PM
Did I miss the meaning of hugo?

toopercentmlk
April 18, 2008, 04:31 PM
My dad is a nonchalantly pro gunner, owns one 9mm and calls it a day, doesn't even enjoy them. My mother is also pro gun, thinks they are necessary for protection but a problem at the same time. I on the other hand am anti gun and own and enjoy them to spite all of you.

fearless leader
April 18, 2008, 04:43 PM
My Mother, having grown up in Taxecussettes, was ardantly anti gun, and my Father, having grown up in Tennessee, was hunting wabbits when he was a young lad.

He taught me to be pro-gun, then later, in his old age, he became neutral. Go figure. Of course, I suppose he got his fill in WWII, Korea and stateside duty during Vietnam.

Oddly enough, he, under the pleading of my Mother, set out to discourage me from liking guns. He took me out and got me to shoot a shotgun longer than my 8 year old body.
It knocked me on my can, with a vengence, but it didn't disuade me, it incouraged me.

Truth is, if he had not have done that, I might not have cared for them, either way. Instead, it has cost me more money than I would like to count over the last 39 years.

hqmhqm
April 18, 2008, 04:50 PM
My mother didn't like guns, but I had lots of toy ones to play with. My father was neutral. He held the base record for shooting the antiaircraft simulator when he was in the Navy, but never owned a gun.

jakemccoy
April 18, 2008, 05:20 PM
My mom is now pro-gun, and has always been open-minded. My dad has always been hardcore anti-gun and happens to be a former officer in the army. Neither have ever owned a firearm.

starshooter231
April 18, 2008, 05:26 PM
Not sure about mom, she was fine with us kids having BB guns, so I would say pro.

Dad is former Navy, VERY VERY PRO GUN, life member of NRA, Locale gun club, owns at my last count (5years ago) 7 firearms.

Blackbeard
April 18, 2008, 07:04 PM
Dad owned, mom was moderately pro -- had shot before I was born.

357WheelGun
April 18, 2008, 08:18 PM
My father is pro, but not rabidly so. Mainly he believes in the right, but he doesn't expand it into a personal hobby.

My mother grew up on a farm and my grandfather (her father) collected, but she's not a shooter. She sees them rather like she sees a 2-ton hydraulic engine hoist: as a tool that people ought to be allowed to have, but not one that she feels she needs.

resonance
April 18, 2008, 08:30 PM
My dad is a retired cop. I'm not too sure about his position on handguns, but he and my stepmom shoot blackpowder whenever they go to their Rendezvous (mountain man-style retreats).

fatelk
April 18, 2008, 08:42 PM
My dad does not like guns, personally, but owns several and believes we have a right to own them.
He has never understood why I like guns. I think he links guns only with killing, whereas I enjoy guns as a hobby without ever wanting to kill anything.

ADKWOODSMAN
April 18, 2008, 09:57 PM
Dad was a WWII vet and a hunter of sorts. His grandfather was killed in a hunting accident when he was young and there were no guns in the home.

When I was about 5 we hunted chucks with my uncle and then he would take us shooting.

Then when the hunting bug bit me, Dad and I started hunting together. He purchased a used Mauser sporterized and I got a bb gun.

Now its about 4 or 5 new guns a year for me.

Mom never said one way or the other buy she always praised me when I came home with game.

Dad and I hunted together for 40 years. After he was hurt in a bad traffic accident I would take him hunting in southern NY, set him up in a folding chair and make drives to him. He had such bad arthritis that he had to stop when he was 75, now my son goes with me.

brighamr
April 18, 2008, 10:24 PM
I answered "anti-all the way" and "pro-gun and owned".

My dad was pro, and owned, and took us shooting often. My mom was as anti as they come. She has since changed a bit (will watch us shoot) but she still votes for gun control...

shadowalker
April 18, 2008, 10:33 PM
My mom was very much pro gun, lots of range trips with .22s and her 9mm.

She was a single mom and always told us if someone was trying to take us to try make a good shot cause she was taking one :D

Elm Creek Smith
April 18, 2008, 11:04 PM
My dad grew up without his dad from age 8 (TB from being gassed in WW1). After WW2 when he was discharged from the USAAF (bomber pilot), he bought his first gun, an H&R .410. While I was growing up, he had that, a Browning Sweet 16, and a J.C. Higgins (High Standard Sentinel) 9 shot DA revolver. Somewhere along the line, he traded off the .22 for a Bowie knife that my brother still has, bought me a Remington .22 single shot when I was 10 that I still have, and gave me his .410 when I was 11. When I was 16, he bought me a Mossberg 20 Ga. bolt gun and took back the .410. He was a big, STRONG man, but when he got older he asked me for help picking out a defensive revolver. He'd bought a Ruger .22 Single Six and had it loaded with .22 Mags. I persuaded him to swap it for a Ruger .357 Service Six that he later, without my help, swapped for a nickel 4 inch S&W Model 27. He was pro-gun all the way because that's what men did. Once he started suffering from dementia, we took the guns away. We lost him in 1999.

Mom, on the other hand, being the dutiful wife kept her mouth shut about guns all the time Dad was alive. Then we found out that she was afraid of guns, they scare her to death. (Yes, I know it's a phobia.) However, when a neighbor of hers was murdered, my brother and I spent two weeks taking turns staying with her. Why? Because she knows we carry guns. At this point, 84 years of age, she still doesn't like guns, but she'll handle them if we show her they are completely unloaded. Her response? "They're heavy!" except for my Taurus 85SSUL.

Gotta love 'em anyway.

ECS

acdodd
April 18, 2008, 11:05 PM
Both were pro gun.
As a side note both of my Grandmothers owned and used firearms.
One had an old S X S 12 gage that she used on chicken thieves, 4 legged kind.
The other on had a Saturday night special .22 she carried and drew once that I heard about.
AC

caltek1911
April 19, 2008, 12:22 AM
My dad owns a bunch, and whenever I call home we always talk guns and he always asks if I bought any new ones.

My mom though, is somewhere between neutral and anti, but with more of a leaning towards anti. She was ok with the first gun, but when I told her about the .45 that I had bought barely used and saved over $300, it was "Why do you need another one?! :mad:" And then I threw my 2 brothers under the bus :evil: and told her how they have more than I do (didn't tell her I was trying to catch up :)), which I found out she definitely was not happy about. (and 1 is kind of her favorite)

SaltH2OHokie
April 19, 2008, 03:03 AM
Both of my parents grew up around guns (my mom shot when she was little, my dad's parents just had guns but he never really shot or handled them,) but since my parents have been married (29ish years) they've never had guns.

That being said, my dad claims to be "indifferent" but is clearly anti. My mom on the other hand comes off very anti, but when you talk to her about it, she's actually pretty neutral, or even for it, though she'd never carry or own guns herself.

Weird you ask though because I just got home for the weekend and essentially had this exact conversation with my parents, right down to trying to figure out where their opinions were based whilst sharing a beer or two and beautiful night in the back yard. My mom boiled it down to "she just don't know" because she grew up with guns in every room and every car and that was normal to her...fast forward 20 years and suddenly she realizes that I have 6 long guns and 2 hand guns and she turns anti, but when you talk about it, she's fine...can't figure that one out.

My dad's just pretty much 180 out from most of my beliefs and hobbies.

Neither of them care enough to tell me "no" or even argue with me, but arguing with your son when he's in his 20's and doesn't live at home probably isn't top on their list either...especially not with an 18yr old sister still living at home they've gotta worry about. :eek:

My grandparents (on my mom's side) on the other hand are GREAT: the each have their own model 10 S&W on their bedside tables and up at their cabin in the mountains my grandmother keeps a loaded .30-30 by the door "just in case." Her dad shot two different folks over his lifetime, both trying to steal from his farm during the depression. Both were with a shotgun from distances that said "don't do that again" but no serious harm was done...so the story goes...

yongxingfreesty
April 19, 2008, 03:16 AM
mom doesnt like, dad doesnt care as much.
oh well, i still keep her happy.

Ditto_95
April 19, 2008, 05:55 AM
Born and raised in New York in the 60's and 70's we did not have firearms in the house. Both parents were very liberal but allowed us kids to have bb and pellet guns.
I don't recall any discussions about guns but I had a 20 gauge shotgun I kept in my truck when I was 16.
Once I moved out I started collecting. (trading really)
Mom knows that us boys had guns but never really had much to say except be careful.
I voted neutral.

cassandrasdaddy
April 19, 2008, 09:37 AM
my japanese mom and new york city dad were/are anti. my dads second wife won't visit my house since she found out we keep guns. shes chinese her family was eliminated during the revolution

Pilgrim
April 19, 2008, 10:21 AM
Mom and Dad both grew up around guns. Dad liked to shoot. He qualified as expert with the M1917 rifle and the Thompson submachine gun in WWII.

However, during their married life neither saw the need for guns in the home and never owned one. I suppose they saw higher priorities for their money while raising four sons.

When I showed an interest in shooting and successfully passed a YMCA shooting course during summer camp, I received a Marlin Model 80C .22 rifle for my thirteenth birthday.

Pilgrim

Jrsmith
April 19, 2008, 11:05 AM
I'd say that both of mine were neutral for most of my life. Dad didn't hunt much by the time I was around (he used to rabbit hunt a lot for food when he was young) but I had a heavy hunting influnce from my grand dad and uncles, so I owned guns as soons as I had a hunting license.

Now, after my collection of guns has grown and grown, I've turned my dad pro (he just bought a 9mm) and my mom is still neutral.

Cliff
April 19, 2008, 12:11 PM
My father passed away in 2002. A retired cop, way pro-gun,and owned many handguns and rifles. Mother is pro and has been known to attend choir practice with a .38 snubbie in her purse.:D
He taught me how to shoot when I was a kid, and taught me how to clean his service revolver as a kid also. A lot of life lessons that I still remember today.
Remember the Deacons for Defense?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacons_for_Defense_and_Justice

My grandfather was a baptist preacher along the Texas/Louisiana border in the late forties and fifties. From the stories he and my father told the below pic applied long before the Deacons got their start in the mid sixties.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B4EC7EC7F-A5A4-4D89-8FCD-179CB63A9CED%7D/picture.JPG

2TransAms
April 19, 2008, 12:16 PM
My parents were pro-gun,but my dad only had an old .32 revolver. They're both very pro-2A,but at the same time have no real interest in guns.

However,my mom has stated many times that if concealed carry was legal in IL she would do it,and she's been to the range with me a few times. So-called "assault rifles" make her a little nervous and she doesn't see a need for them,but she also realizes that the Constitution says I should be able to get what I want. Go Mom!

my japanese mom and new york city dad were/are anti. my dads second wife won't visit my house since she found out we keep guns. shes chinese her family was eliminated during the revolution
To each his own,but I will never understand that kind of reasoning.

Deanimator
April 19, 2008, 12:26 PM
My grandfather was a baptist preacher along the Texas/Louisiana border in the late forties and fifties. From the stories he and my father told the below pic applied long before the Deacons got their start in the mid sixties.

My father worked a lot of TVA camps in the '30s. A 12ga. double followed him everywhere he went. The Klan were and are cowards. They look for prey that won't bite back.

My grandmother was in Chicago for the 1919 race riots that started when a Black child accidentally washed up on a Whites only beach and was murdered. Of all the cities that had race riots before the civil rights movement, only Chicago had rough parity in casualties between Blacks and Whites. My grandmother told me why. When the fighting started, the Black former doughboys raided the National Guard armories and armed themselves with '03s, 1917s and machineguns. I guess lynching isn't nearly as much fun when there's real doubt as to who's going to end up hanging from the tree when it's all said and done...

whg
April 19, 2008, 12:27 PM
Grew up in OK and my 'rents were from TX and OK. I was shooting a Marlin lever action .22 at 6 and was taught gun handling at an early age. My mother could take it or leave it, but was not the least bit concerned that firearms were in the house.

cracked junior
April 19, 2008, 12:29 PM
my parents are very pro gun. during spring, summer and fall. if it was a nice day out. after sunday church. we either went shooting, fishing or both.

Deanimator
April 19, 2008, 12:29 PM
From the stories he and my father told the below pic applied long before the Deacons got their start in the mid sixties.
A friend of mine really could have hooked that guy up, having at one time bought fully half of Sierra's production of 200gr. .323 Matchkings for a year! :D

Of course he also bought an extra receiver cover and had a base for a Redfield Palma sight mounted on it. :)

glassman
April 19, 2008, 12:39 PM
Dad was pro and often took his business clients on pheasant hunting trips in the Dakotas. He helped me choose my first gun when I was twelve (16 ga. bolt action mosberg) but told me I would have to save my own money to buy it. We spent quite a few weekends shooting clays. Good times and better memories.

Griff
April 19, 2008, 08:48 PM
Mom and Dad met while in the military. One shot Expert with the 1911, the other Sharpshooter with an M1 Carbine, which was a big deal back in those days as it added to the paycheck. They had the standard Midwestern battery (12 / .22 / 30-30) at the house and we learned common sense with weapons from them, the Boy Scouts, neighbors, and friends.

...as will my family.

Eightball
April 19, 2008, 08:50 PM
My great-grandad and grandad were avid gunnies, but it skipped my dad, and I became a gunnie, now I got my dad into it :)

Dienekes
April 19, 2008, 11:14 PM
Both mildly pro. My father had been in the Army both Pre-WWII and in the ETO, and in the Border Patrol before and after. My mother grew up in the Chicago of the 20s and 30s. She told the story of coming home late one night and my grandfather taking a pot shot at her from the upstairs landing (thought she was a burglar, I guess).

I got the customary kids's .22, a Marlin 80C also, at age 12. Got interested in pistols at age 16, and they went with me to shop for one; we went a few miles to an adjoining state, I paid cash, and took it home with me with everyone's approval.

A couple of years later I got to wanting a 1911, and they bought a DCM .45 from an acquaintance ($25) and I got it for Christmas ("Gee, Dad, it's a 1911!")

Somewhere I have a picture of my Mom shooting that pistol, no earmuffs and hardball ammo. She was one tough cookie, that lady. :what:

My Dad was never much into guns himself but tolerated my shenanigans as long as I behaved myself. He once commented that he had wanted a Colt Woodsman back in the day--but never got it. He did get to wanting a snubbie revolver as he got older so I found him a nice little S&W M60. I don't think he ever shot it, but he kept it in his nightstand drawer along with his old time sap.

My daughter now cherishes that M60. I have the sap. :p

Hokkmike
April 19, 2008, 11:14 PM
My dad, brothers, and I went shooting together.

41magsnub
April 19, 2008, 11:17 PM
Dad pro gun and owns though he has given me most of them since he lost interest in hunting/target shooting, Mom neutral on the subject. Never fired a gun, no interest but fine with guns in the house.

JohnBT
April 20, 2008, 11:08 AM
My mother didn't care about guns, but would ride to the range with us and read in the car while we shot. It was a pretty spot under the trees overlooking a small river valley. Then we'd drive into Lexington for lunch.

"but fine with guns in the house."

My mother didn't allow guns in the parlor and I don't think it was due to a fear of getting oil on the furniture. She didn't think it was polite for somebody to be jumping up and running to the car, hall closet or basement to grab a gun for show and tell when we were entertaining visitors. For all I know it was her mother's rule, but that's the way it was for a good 50 years.

After a reasonable period of polite conversation anybody who was interested could adjourn to the kitchen, basement, back yard, etc.

Parlor = room for entertaining visitors.
Living room = where you're allowed to put your feet up on the furniture and eat while watching tv.
Kitchen = where everybody gathers.
Strangers = people who come to the front door. :)

John

XD-40 Shooter
April 20, 2008, 12:36 PM
My dad taught me how to shoot a single shot 22 rifle when I was 9 years old, I still have that rifle.:D My dad is firmly pro-gun, avid outdoorsman, and was a hunter in his earlier years, he's now 64. My mom is pretty neutral, she doesn't want to own a gun, but doesn't have a problem with me having them. However, my mom has expressed interest in learning how to shoot my 357 revolver, loaded with 38 specials, for times when we are away from the house. We live out in the country, it gets creepy out here at night, very, very dark, no streetlights.

This is why I keep my XD-40 loaded with my Streamlight attached, it will light up the dark pretty good.:D

rugbyer81
April 20, 2008, 02:18 PM
I learned about guns from my dad, grandpa, grandpa's friends, cousins, 2nd cousins and an uncle. The first time I even heard an anti-gun comment was in middle school.

The Lone Haranguer
April 20, 2008, 02:26 PM
I came from a "mixed marriage." ;) My dad, while not a gun enthusiast per se, was pro-2A and -gun and kept firearms for home defense. My mother was, at best, ambivalent.

Black Adder LXX
April 20, 2008, 02:28 PM
My old man had a 22 bolt action rifle that he taught me to shoot on.

alligator94
April 20, 2008, 02:57 PM
I had both extremes. My dad was definetely pro 2A, even owned his own gun store for years. My mom is a huge anti and made him sell it. She also "made" him get rid of all the guns in the house. As far as I know though she is still finding guns hidden all through that house!

Snapping Twig
April 20, 2008, 03:23 PM
My Mom is a huge, flaming liberal, as is my sister. My Dad was an Aerial Gunnery Instructor for the Navy in WW II, but a pacifist thereafter, so we had no guns and an anti gun slant in my house during my formative years.

Lot of good that did...

These days I collect rifles, pistols and shotguns and I teach self defense.

If it were up to me, every law abiding citizen would learn to shoot and know the 4 basic rules.

Detritus
April 20, 2008, 04:08 PM
Dad is pro-gun, and we had a decent colection of guns when i was growing up.
Mom on the other hand I think of as being Neutral, b/c while she wasn't "Anti" she didn't exactly like or truly feel comfortable with guns...
Of course i can fully understand her feelings since she lost her younger brother to an accidental shooting.

I wasn't allowed to even touch a real gun, untill i was 11 or 12, in deference to my mother's feelings on the issue.

Cmdr. Gravez0r
April 20, 2008, 04:08 PM
My family have always been rural/mountain people until the last two generations. My grandpa grew up during the depression in North Georgia, where guns were for putting food on the table, recreation, and keeping away trouble. My dad tells me that my great grandfather was a crack shot but sadly I never got to meet him. He died in 1977. I got his name though.

motorep
April 20, 2008, 04:12 PM
Anti? Not likely. Both my parents were former Marines.

Ninja.of.Love
April 20, 2008, 04:20 PM
Aside from the passing comment about how easy it is to get guns (not how easy it is for *criminals* to get guns, mind you), my parents have always been neutral. Neutral may not be the right word, it's closer to apathy than neutrality. We'll see if they are anti when I start talking to them about buying a long gun.

RockyMtnTactical
April 20, 2008, 04:34 PM
My mom and dad are and have been pro-gun.

However, my dad was the first one in his family to own a gun (he joined the FBI). Shortly after he joined the FBI, he bought his own personal handgun and shortly thereafter he gave a handgun to his dad and his brothers decided to buy some guns.

I grew up shooting some of the most basic firearms out there, 10/22, 870, S&W Model 10, Sig 228, Glock 23/27.

Not to mention the firearms that my scout leaders, church leaders, and uncle's owned. Many family and friends joined the military and in other LE agencies.

I grew up in a fairly pro-gun environment.

NCSUPackman
April 20, 2008, 05:24 PM
My Mom was from West Virginia and grew up with guns in the house with my grand-father and uncle hunting. My dad is from New Hampshire though never got involved in hunting/shooting because his family didn't have the money to do so.

I was raised in Rhode Island so the topic of guns never really came up because it was something that wasn't done. I guess I was raised neutral because my parents never discouraged it and I always had cap guns. I shot my first rifle, a .22, at camp in New Hampshire and always shot bb guns when visiting my uncle in New Hampshire.

When we moved to North Carolina was when I really became a gunny. I bought my first gun as a Sophmore in college at a gun show (a Swiss K31 which I have since traded for a S&W 13) and upon seeing my new found interest in firearms, my grandfather (mother's father) gave me most of his gun collection. My dad has now really started to get into shooting. With increased break-ins/ around my parent's house my dad wants to get his concealed carry permit; he's always wanting to come to the range with me or on any of my expiditions to local gun stores; as well as wanting to see any new purchases I make.

My mom was a little ambivilant at first, especially when I started carrying concealed. I had thrown my S&W 642 in the console of my car one day because I was going to be working late in the city. My mom saw the S&W box on my bed (this was when I lived at my parent's house) and commented to my father "You know he took his gun to work with him?!" My dad just replied, "I think that's smart." Now she's pretty much cool with it. She wants me to take her out and teach her to shoot a handgun.

My grandmother (mother's mother) recently asked me if she could have one of my grandfather's shotguns back because the area where she lives has had a problem with drugs recently. I instead bought her a Mossberg .410 (due to my grandfather's shotguns being 12 gauge) and as soon as I handed it to her, before I could say anything, she racked the slide back like an old pro.

I guess being a gunny can really run in the family.

tntwatt
April 20, 2008, 05:34 PM
Both my parents grew up on farms. They view guns as tools to add meat on the table. They sometimes wonder about hicap weapons. But as my dad puts it, we never went hungry, we went hunting.

bikerdoc
April 20, 2008, 05:38 PM
both were flaming liberals and anti - even though dad was awarded some medals at the battle of the bulge. their two sons took after both grandpa's and shoot, hunt, fish, and ccw. thanks grandpa!

Desertscout
April 20, 2008, 05:38 PM
My Dad's dead now but taught me to shoot when I was about 5. I killed my first deer with a Marlin .30-30 when I was 8. My is still alive and owns 3 guns herself, not counting my step-dad's.

frogomatic
April 20, 2008, 06:15 PM
My Dad is kind of pro-gun, he owns guns and always did. He taught me basic gun saftey, and a basics of shooting. But he wasn't a hunter, and wasn't into recreational shooting, So we never did any of that. I didn't express a great intrest in firearms as a child and he didn't push it on me.

Mom was another story. I can't say she was anti-gun, be she was certainly anti-me-having-gun/bow/car/anything-that-has-even-the-slightest-chance-of-causing-me-injury.

stepdad was completely indifferent to firearms, not anti, but never owned or used a firearm. He did however, put his foot down with my mom and got me a BB gun, found a bow for me to buy, and saw too it that I was able to get myself a decent car.

stepmom, I never really liked her, and never got to know her. So I don't know what her stance on guns was, she died a couple of years ago. But considering Dad had guns, I assume she was at least indifferent.

TexKettering
April 20, 2008, 08:03 PM
Pro gun but never owned any except for BB guns and such.

My dad is now thinking about getting a CCW...

rainbowbob
April 20, 2008, 08:39 PM
My father was an LEO for 30 years and I believe he carried every day. I only saw his duty gun, an S&W .38, on a couple of occasions.

Once was when he had had quite a few and was showing off for company. He did a quick draw and shooting stance demonstration in our living room! This happened only once. It never occurred to me until recently whether that gun was loaded or not.

The only other time I remember seeing it - although it could have been more than once - was on his dresser. I don't remember ever having been given any instruction, and I could not resist picking it up. I knew it was dangerous, and quickly put it back where I found it.

Family history included the story of my Grandmother's brother who found his father's service revolver (Great Grandfather was a Boston Detective), took it with him into the bathroom while washing the dog, and killed himself with it.

I spent my entire childhood "playing guns". I would run through the woods chasing, hiding, ambushing, and "gunning down" my friends.

My mother would not let me have a BB gun because "...You could put somebody’s eye out with it...”

As I have posted before...I and my best friend got our hands on some BB guns...thought it would be a great idea to have a BB gun fight (with protection of course)...started shooting at each other...took cover...I shot him in the eye.

I didn't touch a firearm of any kind for many years after that.

Instruction from an early age might have made me (and my best friend) safer. I recommend it.

Ben_Tucci
April 20, 2008, 09:09 PM
As a kid me and my brothers had bb guns and bows and arrows and knew that my dad had a "real" gun but it was never really talked about. At some point in my teenage years my dad had a friend that talked to him about getting his concealed weapons permit and even loaned him a gun until he bought one of his own to carry. At that point we all started talking about it and both my mom and dad got permits to carry. When I got old enough it was natural and almost expected that I get my own. All my brothers are pro-gun and all the ones that are old enough either have a permit to carry or plan on getting one when they get back from the military overseas.

FPrice
April 20, 2008, 09:13 PM
Dad was gone and Mom never had the money or inclination. She may have been mildly anti if asked, but it never came up.

Interestingly enough one of my grandfather's possessions from his days working in Brooklyn as a tailor was a well-used sap.

BigCompetator
April 20, 2008, 11:27 PM
between me and my dad we probably have 30 guns. we have a variety of every thing shotguns pistols rifles. my mom never cared much but was not anti

Nolo
April 20, 2008, 11:33 PM
My parents are technically in the category I voted: supporters and owners, but my mother thinks guns are "icky" (she's a huge wimp, but she supports RKBA pretty much all the way) and my dad seems to support RKBA for everyone but me. He got me a shotgun for my 15th Christmas, which was great and all, but I've fired it like, twice, and he never takes me shooting and keeps all the guns up in NH.
I mean, I've had trouble and all, being on prescription medication for depression, but I'm far from a bad kid, and I'm better at gun safety than he is.
Oh, forgot to mention, he won't let me use my own money to buy an AK or Garand (I think I'm gonna get an Enfield, but he hasn't made enough effort for that to happen yet), and he's always worried about me "looking wrong" to the authorities.
Parents will be parents.
But I'll be 18 this November, so I'll be pretty much free.

mrokern
April 21, 2008, 12:36 AM
Mom is anti except for hunting, Dad is neutral.

Since I'm into my 30s, their opinions don't go too far...and yes, I carry when they come to visit. :neener: Hey, at least I don't OC when they're around.

-Mark

Zangetsu
April 21, 2008, 12:41 AM
You need to add an option for one of each :)

lanternlad1
April 21, 2008, 01:38 AM
My mom never had guns, mostly because they were too expensive for us to buy (very poor growing up) but she did teach me one valuable lesson.

When I was 6, I got a book that taught kids how to send away for free stuff. One of the free giveaways was a free sticker from an anti-handgun group. I showed my mom the book and told her that I wanted to get the sticker. The words she told me next were priceless.

"If you send away for and display that sticker, you are telling people that you believe what these people believe. And these people believe in taking away a freedom that we are guaranteed as Americans. If you believe in letting people take away one freedom, soon they will try to take away the rest of them."

I always remembered those words, and though I only recently started learning about guns, I always supported the Constitution and all the rights guaranteed by it.

mortdooley
April 21, 2008, 10:35 AM
My parents were die hard democrats and my 80 year old dad still is, they would have made obedient peasants in an earlier age. No handguns were allowed in our home and they both believed all hand guns should be banned! As for long guns we had all we needed. My dad thought he was well armed with an unloaded single shot .410 bolt action and that was the only gun we ever had until I started buying them.

xds&gsps
April 21, 2008, 11:05 AM
Dad grew up w/guns when we moved to UT he didn't really shoot much anymore. I got into guns 6 years ago or so & have been working on him ever since. He recently took the class for ccw & now owns a couple of handguns along w/ the long guns he has always had. Mom is kinda neutral I carried for 3 years before she found out, she was kinda in shock, she grew up in a hunting family, but hasn't expressed an interest in guns at all.

MinnMooney
April 21, 2008, 11:19 AM
My dad had me using guns and hunting by age 5. He was extremely safety-minded way before it was in vogue. I carried an empty BB gun for a hunt or two and then got to carry it loaded for the occasional tin can that my dad would surprize me with. The following year was the same routine except with a .22 short Browning semi-auto with the take-down feature ( it loaded thru a slot in the stock).
By age seven, I was a full-fledged hunter with all the rights, privleges and responsibilities that go with the title. If dad saw my barrel swinging past another hunter I immediately had to unload the chamber of my pump gun and "hunt" that way for the next 1/2 hour or so.
My dad caught my friend with the hammer cocked on his single-shot shotgun after being told to NEVER cock the gun until a bird jumped. Gary had to unload the gun and walk for a while that way.
You learn very quickly when you have to act as the flush-dog and can't even shoot if you flush one!!
Excellent lessons and they carried over to my son, also.

Caeser2001
April 21, 2008, 12:15 PM
most of my family is progun for hunting, spoting, and protection purposes, but agree with the "sensible laws" about ebr's and so forth. I always thought my dad was an anti until a discussion with his new anti wife when everybody was talking about all the gun violence, he came right out and said "banning guns is not the answer and I'll leave it at that!!!" he never owned a gun but seen more than his fare share of ***** in 'nam.

Regen
April 21, 2008, 12:58 PM
That is until my Dad started Trap and Skeet shooting. Then he became pro and owning. This occurred in his late sixties, after he retired to FL and a neighbor took him shooting.

jc89
April 25, 2008, 09:53 PM
im chinese so both my parents grew up in communist china (could there have been a more gun-biaed country than that? lol) so they are relatively anti-gun with mom more against guns than dad. i tried twice to get an air rifle (bought it in secret in may of last year soon as i turned 18, mom found out and freaked, then did it again over the web in july and this time they sort of softened up to it).

got a 22 for christmas of this year and my mom wasnt that against it. im in college now but my mom will always email me stories about shootings or whatever. eh, i guess they'll never change. just got an m39 and plan on building up a collection.

now my friends, they are slowly becoming my converted minions (all of their parents are anti-gun as well) and can't wait to go shooting when im back home. after listening to my interest in firearms, my history buff roommate is looking to buy a nice k31 if he can convince his mom to let him get one.

oh, and i live in the california bay area if you couldn't tell already.

f4t9r
April 25, 2008, 10:22 PM
Where and when I grew up everyone had guns (mostly hunting)
can not remember much negative about guns in my younger days.

The Annoyed Man
April 25, 2008, 11:42 PM
Dad was a wounded marine at Iwo Jima. He became, more or less, a pacifist after the war. Mom was a survivor of the Nazi occupation of North Africa, and was reduced to eating cats and rats at one point. She was also a confirmed pacifist. Both were university professors and hard core liberals. While I disagree with their pacifism, I grant that they both earned it the hard way, so I won't criticize their character for it.

We had two guns in the family, but both were locked away in storage in the garage for my entire life. One was the .22 rifle my dad had as a child. My brother has it now. The other was his service .45, which I have. My brother and I inherited these when my dad died in 1990.

andrewdl007
April 25, 2008, 11:45 PM
I put pro gun and owned. My dad hunted a little all his life but never really collected guns. My mother however is a neutral bordering on anti. So Id have to say they werent the major reason I took up shooting.

freekboi
April 26, 2008, 04:03 PM
Both my parents were pro gun and we owned. My dad used to hunt when I was younger, but got out of it later on, and my mom used to be a deputy sherriff who carried. As a matter of fact, she keeps bugging me to bring back her 38 special I'm using for HD until I can get one of my own.

ditch_dgr
April 27, 2008, 08:46 AM
My parents were both pro-gun in a big way. They gave me an Ithica 20ga shotgun for my 9th birthday. We were a trapshooting family, we had trophies all over the house and a bunch of them were from the Junior and Lady divisions at our local club. By the time I was 13, I had a Remington 1100, and Ithica 600SKB and a Winchester model 12 all were either birthday or Christmas presents except the 1100 I won that shooting against the big guys.

TheLastBoyScout
April 27, 2008, 09:13 AM
My mom was/and is neutral while I was growing up.

Dad was neutral/accepting but did not own until I was 15.

Grampa (paternal) taught me and my brother how to shoot, and he was more of the "forgiveness than permission" type, at least when it came to mom's approval. I think he may have gotten dad's permission before hand, at least in vague "when they're old enough, I'm going to teach them how to shoot" terms (because he wasn't a jerk)--but dad wasn't huge on the idea either.

(age 10)
"What are THOSE?"
"BB guns"
"Where'd they get them?"
"I gave'em to'em, and I keep em in my car unless I got my eye on'em. Scout is already talking about joining the Marines when he grows up, and he's gonna have to learn sooner or later"

Then 9/11 happened when I was 15, and dad realized that even though terrorists hate all of us, they have a special reason to hate women in a position of power (aka "mom the politician") so he got a glock and an AR and started getting religion about regular range time.

This was also about the time I started getting paid for working, so I started my own collection of "serious" firearms.

Over the past 6 years, we have significantly "improved" mom's NRA grade. She lets us see "interesting" bills as they come up, and usually the reaction from Dad is "Vote for this bill and you're sleeping in the garage"... She's not perfect, yet, but we've gotten her to go against some bad stuff she otherwise would have supported.

Who needs to buy more than one handgun a month?
Well for starters, Dad did doing Christmas shopping last year...

RDak
April 27, 2008, 09:56 AM
Mine were pretty neutral. Dad had his fill of guns in WWII but never prevented me from having one.

Mom never voiced an opinion one way or another IIRC.

They're still alive and think I'm a little wacko with the 2nd Amendment but it still doesn't mean much to them one way or another.

I get the feeling that people of their generation accepted guns more than many "current" people do.

They grew up LONG before the anti movement started.

Edit: I just had a .22lr rifle. Left home at 17 and couldn't buy my first handgun in Michigan, from a dealer, until I was 21. Never owned a shotgun at home. Bought one after reaching 21 years old also.

Ninja42
April 27, 2008, 10:09 AM
My parents are old time hippies, and though I am 24 years old they still urge me to stop shooting every time I come home. I dont think parents come any more anti than mine, and yet I managed to become an open minded individual, with understandings of my rights and my duty to protect myself and those I love.

I dont know much about my grandfather, as he died when I was only 3 years old, but for some reason he had a p38 with nazi markings stowed away in the attic, but when my parent found it they decided that it was eeeeeeeevil, and handed it in to the police for destruction. Yeah, a person can actually be that anti :banghead:

Bo
April 27, 2008, 10:17 AM
My Dad was a cop back in the 50's. I remember sneaking in my Mom and Dad's bedroom when they were gone and pulling out all the guns my Dad stored in there. For some reason, can't remember why, I always had enough sense to unload them before I started playing. I'd reload them and put them right back where I found them. My Dad never knew, R.I.P. Dad, I love you!

John-Melb
April 27, 2008, 12:44 PM
I think RDak is right, people of our parents generation accepted guns.

Mum and Dad are both gone now.

Dad grew up during the "depression" and had what I saw as a strange attitude to firearms, any firearm that could be used to put food on the family table was just fine, any gun that couldn't be used to put food on the table was simply a waste of time and money. I remember still the "stick" he gave me when I bought a Luger. "What do you want that bloody thing for, get rid of it and buy a good shotgun"

Mum would often tell me how much she "hated guns", but she never complained when I came home from a trip away with an eski full of bunnies!

I miss them both.

ruger_dude
April 28, 2008, 06:41 PM
My parents are pro-gun all the way, my dad was a cop and he "qualified" me monthly with a .45 .357 and a bunch of others. When I was eight I came home and my Dad had a 410 wrapped up , he just bought me a shotgun because he wanted to go hunting and my mother just asked "You don't think he can take a 20 gauge"

Patrick Henry
April 28, 2008, 09:59 PM
I think I see a pattern here: Mother = neutral to anti, Father =neutral to pro.

For my parents that has also been the case.

This is one of the primary reasons why I think women should not be permitted to vote nor hold public office.

Bring on the insults -- I believe it and I don't apologize for it.

The female sex, generally speaking, at some level basic to a woman's thought-process does not believe human beings are capable of governing themselves, or if they can, that they ought to. Which makes them enemies of republican government. Inability to comprehend the necessary place of guns in a free society is a symptom of that. Maybe it's maternal instinct. It wasn't "big brother" George Orwell had a right to fear, it's "big mother."

So as not to go totally off-topic I'll tell my own story.

We never had guns in the house when I grew up because my understanding is my mother forbade it. I don't think my dad had much interest in it besides. The story goes one day when I was about 5 years old we were visiting my grandparents. Apparently I found my grandfather's loaded revolver stuffed in between a seat cushion, took it into the next room and said "look what I found!" Then my dad took the gun before I could shoot somebody.

It apparently never occurred to my parents that if they had taught me the difference between toy guns and real ones that couldn't have happened.

When I turned 21 I took a handgun safety course and got my concealed handgun permit. It was both an interest in history and a deep appreciation of the significance of firearms that lead me to it. Arms = freedom. By that time I also had a few friends in college who owned and I was able to learn some from them. But mainly I read a lot and rented a lot of different guns and talked to a lot of "experts."

My dad had always been pro-2nd amendment but I think never gave a thought to owning himself, even though he had military experience. When he found out I had gotten the permit and was buying guns myself, I think he might have felt slightly emasculated since he not only immediately bought a pistol of his own but became an armed security officer for a federal agency. :D I stand officially 1-up'd.

Nolo
April 28, 2008, 10:26 PM
This is one of the primary reasons why I think women should not be permitted to vote nor hold public office.
I will not attack you for this, but I will say something:
Women, as a whole, are not particularly untrusting of an individual's capability to perform their responsibilities. However, we are faced with a society that cultures that, which makes the female sex, the one more inclined to mothership and babying, every more vocal and emotional.
The solution is not to remove women from the equation, but to raise them (I'm tempted to say "like men" here, but I won't) into adults. We don't raise or women to adulthood, which is one under-the-water problem that no one's come to grips wit yet.
My sister is a woman, living on her own, who has been an adult for probably seven or eight years now (I'm talking in maturity, not age). She was th most feminine of my three sisters, and yet she is the most adult.
It has nothing to do with the female sex, it has everything to do with the way we raise the female sex.

arjppj
April 28, 2008, 11:04 PM
My dad got me into guns, he is a huge AK fan. Mom doesn't mind them, but doesn't own any. I went out eating with her a few weeks ago. We went to a nice Japanese place and ate outside. After about an hour of eating and talking, we said bye and hugged. As we hugged she felt my gun and said "Wow, i didn't even notice you had it." "Yeah mom, thats why its called concealed carry". She just laughed and we went home. She now knows if she sees me, i'm probably carrying.

spyder1911
April 28, 2008, 11:11 PM
One was semi anti and the other was semi pro but we did not have any until I tuned 18.

koja48
April 28, 2008, 11:11 PM
I grew up in Montana . . . what do you think? Both pro & owners all the way.

SSN Vet
April 29, 2008, 12:15 AM
My parents are getting up there....Dad turned 80 this year.....

I don't think the whole concept of being an anti or pro 2a was ever a part of their world.

My parents worked.....and that was pretty much it. No time for fun and games (with the one acception being my dad's little sail boat).

He used to bird hunt with gramps old 12 ga. pump and even had a Weimeraner for a while....but then us kids came along.....

I got a BB gun for Christmas one year and then several years later a break action 20 ga.

I couldn't take possesion of the 20 ga. untill I completed the hunter's safety class though.

Not afraid of guns....not really into guns...BUT....respectfull of their destructive power.....that probably best describes my dad.

North of 49th
April 29, 2008, 12:35 AM
Moms a quiet anti. Dads a neutral who owns long guns. However he is against handguns. Just doesn’t see the point in them. We live in Canada so we can't carry:mad:

respectfull of their destructive power.

True for my fokes as well

McCall911
April 29, 2008, 12:40 AM
Both my parents were definitely pro.

Fish828
April 29, 2008, 12:43 AM
my dad is pretty indifferent and my mother isn't anti but i don't think she exactly wants me to own guns. they are supporters of the bill of rights so they would never tell anybody that they are wrong or should not be allowed to own guns.

JustinL
May 11, 2008, 12:15 PM
Initially both my parents were distinctly anti-gun. I doubt my mother ever fired one and I believe my father had only ever fired a gun a couple of times.

Today I would described them both as neutral. Of course, if they found out just how many guns I own they would probably not be too happy about it.

Big45
May 11, 2008, 12:17 PM
No, father was National Guard, had me shooting as early as I can remember. Thank you Dad.

Glockman17366
May 11, 2008, 12:42 PM
My Dad was ambivalent, but did hunt occasionally. As a LEO (Park Ranger), he did have a firearm, but definitely wasn't an enthusiast.
My Mother always liked to have a gun close at hand...especially after my Dad passed away.

Markbo
May 11, 2008, 01:23 PM
"HUGO" and "Lol hugo, bf.cotftw!" are simply truisms that THR is definitely populated by non High Road thinkers. They are cliquish, probably young and exclusive in their thinking.

A High Road mentality would mean that they are interested in spreading knowledge and assisting people be a part of instead of apart from with their little inside jokes. I have often asked for clarification of a THR-only-acronym and immediate clarifications were posted.

After 5 pages, numerous requests and not ONE response I see no other explanation than to believe either THR is infiltrated with kids or in the end, the site itself is not very HR since no moderator has clarified either. It is this type of exclusion that bullies (usually jocks) liked to live by during Junior and High School years. That, or the OP thinks he is funnier than anyone else does.

Want more proof?
Bring on the insults -- I believe it and I don't apologize for it.

Patrick Henry - you asked ... I do not mean any direct insult at you personally, but I will post my opinion... just as you did. Any person that lumps an entire group of people into one basket is practicing open and unadulterated bigotry. Bigotry by definition is intolerance. Whether it is women, blacks, hispanics, whites, Europeans, Africans or Penguins, it is that type of small thinking that keeps us as a nation from being the leader of the free world. It is close minded and small.

What if you replace the word 'women' with "Gun Owners"? Or "Civil Rights activists"? (FWIW I believe that we all are Civil Rights Activists) Or better yet... "Men"? Remember that powerful scene in "A time to kill" when Mathew McConaughey described the rape of a 10 year old girl... and threw the jury for a loop by asking them to now imagine she is white.

Immature, exclusionary stuff like this reminds one of the immortal words of one John R. Cash upon his delivery into San Quentin Penitentiary "This place ain't all it's cracked up to be".

Dksimon
June 25, 2008, 02:53 AM
my dad always has guns in the house but its mostly long guns and a .22 revolver that he used while growing up on a farm. He is pro gun and I talked him into buying a pistol for me (im 19 so cant purchase my own)
my step mother is totally indifferent but does take an interest, I think it is just to be nice though.

My mom is pro gun but doesnt own any. she passed up a .223 lever action that was my late grandfathers.
my step dad couldnt care less.

sobrespetsnaz
June 25, 2008, 03:12 AM
My father used to be a fairly active shooter. He reloaded and everything. I believe he carried in his truck before he met my mom. When I was about 2 years old when my dad was still active duty. Our house on base was broken into and they stole every gun he ever had. I think that broke him, soon after that he sold his reloading stuff. My mom is neutral.

Valkman
June 25, 2008, 03:17 AM
Pro gun but never owned. My Dad wound up giving me what he had which was a broken cheap .38 and 1860 Sharps derringer. He bought me a .22 rifle at Sears in '68 when I was 13 but he never owned any working guns, which was strange because he did tons of hunting growing up.

PTK
June 25, 2008, 03:21 AM
My parents were always pretty anti to neutral toward guns, but my dad is much more so anti-gun than my mom. When he had very vocal concerns about guns when I was born, my mom sold her M16 (yes, MG, full auto) - right before the '86 ban. D'oh.

SeanSw
June 25, 2008, 03:59 PM
My father has always been very anti-gun. He calls it anti-violence, but he can't separate the two. Dad comes from a long line of Lutheran teachers and preachers who have always been disgusted with harm and bloodshed. Oddly, this side of the family is also interspersed with military service, duplicating the modern conflicts still going on within our family. Though gun-hating, these educators and clergymen have been kind, caring men who have never done harm to anyone. My father was a war protester (Vietnam) but both my grandfather and great-grandfather tried to join the military. Grandpa didn't make the cut, but Great-Grandpa survived WW1. Before that we have well documented history involving our family in the Swedish and Scottish military (Paternal grandfather and grandmother) through the 19th century, from Palace guards to sharpshooters. The sibling conflict between peace and war remains the same, but where oh where did those sharpshooting talents go?

My mother has been fairly neutral. Her own father was a sporting man and Korean vet, but mostly in the sense that he liked to be outdoors and fish. He shot .22s rarely and went on a few raccoon hunts in his younger days. My maternal grandmother has been quite neutral as well. This maternal side has an early American history (Pre-Revolution immigration) of militia involvement, with ancestors that have faught in the Revolution and the Civil war. Grandma was raised by rum runners and anti-Prohibitionists in a rural Illinois, so she's probably seen the worst that alcohol and guns can too, but that hasn't changed her views of either. She showed no surprise at my interest in firearms and even dug up a few bricks of old .22 left behind when my grandfather passed away. This side of the family has a healthy trust of firearms and a healthy distrust of criminals with guns. My mother simply doesn't care for guns in the same way she doesn't like dirt. They're fine as long as they stay outside and don't bring any messes inside. Mom would never vote against gun restrictions for the sake of gun restrictions but they often find their way into her straight line democratic voting tendencies. It only took a few weeks of hassling before getting her to sign my FOID at age 18.

As a child there were no BB guns or toy guns. I can now see how hard my father struggled not to impose his beliefs on me, although he always tried very hard to teach them. Against his better sense, Dad eventually bought me a BB gun for my birthday at age 12. In that very same day I shot myself in the eye and the neighborhood kids shot out our basement windows. That was the end of that! I saw that gun, bent in half, going out with the garbage the following Monday.

Spyvie
June 25, 2008, 04:06 PM
I was given a Glenfield .22 for my 10th birthday.

I ate elk meat almost every night for for big chunks of the year when I was growing up.

LostinJersey
June 25, 2008, 04:08 PM
My mom is anti and I will not be telling her I own a gun. Dad is neutral. It was a requirment to do a year or two of RTOC at the univeristy he attended way back in the 50s, so he got to fire 22s on a range back then.

jws527
June 25, 2008, 04:10 PM
My father is neutral to pro. He was a collector for a while with a whole host of expensive and exotic pieces, but he's not what I would call a "gunny" - I think his interest stems more from the fact that he's a technically minded individual with a thing for gadgets and "toys" - with more than enough wealth to indulge himself. I should note, however, that he does have a strong affinity for WW2 equipment and history, including firearms.

My mother is vehemently anti for some inexplicable reason. She claims she was "shot at" when she was a child, but knowing her it was probably a pellet gun (assuming the whole thing isn't a lie to begin with). It's so bad that we didn't speak for weeks (by her choice) after she found out I had purchased my first firearm.

scrat
June 25, 2008, 04:27 PM
Well my father has always been pro gun and owne. My mother she dosnt care. She never got into shooting Then at this point she just dosent want to. She accepts the fact that we have guns. She just doesnt care. So i guess thats good.

Z-Michigan
June 25, 2008, 04:49 PM
Mine are both the equivalent of Fudds. They have no problem with hunters and hunting arms, but would be against most anything else. The irony is that my dad, even with this position, wound up buying a 12ga for home protection and bear protection while camping. Yet he thinks CCW is a horrible idea.

justin 561
June 25, 2008, 05:48 PM
Mother was anti and never wanted guns in house. (shes pro gun now)
Father is pro-gun used to have a Win. (didn't know what it was, was too long ago for me to remember)

Shung
June 25, 2008, 06:28 PM
My mother was ANTI, my father was PRO..

Now, my mother is more PRO than my father ;)

denfoote
June 25, 2008, 06:37 PM
Mom was a proper eastern liberal who had no use for guns.
Dad was a farm boy who learned to shoot from his uncle who was a WW1 sharpshooter.

ProficientRifleman
June 25, 2008, 06:39 PM
My parents were ambivalent...until I bought my first AR, an original Colt Sporter, while still in high school. Then the wailing and gnashing of teeth really began!

"Why do you need a machine gun..!?!?"

"But, Mom, its just a rifle..."

"Oh my goodness! My boy is becoming a gun-nut-lunatic-maniac! I have seen those guns on TV!. Oh my goodness-gracious!", etc...

Then my step-father, "Whatcha gonna shoot with that? You gonna hunt with that thang? I don't see why you need a gun like that! Why don't you tell me why it is you think you have-to-have a gun like that!", etc...

...and this was 1982.

Conquest351
June 25, 2008, 06:40 PM
My mom grew up with guns, and from what my grandfather says, was a pretty good shot. My dad owned guns, but my mom didn't like them. She took a shooting course to get over her fear and shot pretty well but still didn't like them too much. I couldn't own one besides a pellet gun till I moved out.

Flamer
June 25, 2008, 06:45 PM
My parents were always gun owners and avid shooters and hunters.

They had no worries about buying me my first gun which was a little 410 single shot by new england firearms. in fact to this day me and my father enjoy going out to the shooting range and into the field. and he is still buying new guns that he likes and still reloading and hand loading.

rcmodel
June 25, 2008, 06:46 PM
None of the above.

My parents were Kansas farmers.
As such, guns were just tools of the trade.
There was always a mag-tube loaded .22 pump & 30-30 Winchester, and a 12 ga shotgun leaning behind the back door for as long as I can remember as a kid.

I never even knew there were anti-gun sentiments anywhere until about the time Kennedy was assassinated and the drum-beat started big-time!

rcmodel

Joe Cool
June 25, 2008, 06:49 PM
Dad was pro-gun, ex-Navy...
Mom never liked them.

Now they are both pro-gun as retirees in Florida! :D

Colt46
June 25, 2008, 07:05 PM
Grew up in Santa Cruz in the 60's and 70's. County was a dumping ground for bodies and had our share of mass murderers running rampant about the same time. Kemper, Mullins, Lindley-Frazier to name the heavy hitters. Lived in the mountains five miles from town. Dad got a .22 marlin bolt action and a shotgun. Mom hated guns and got a nasty shepherd bitch(turned out to be an awesome dog).
Had numerous times when a shotgun was usefull and comforting to have around. Buried our share of feral and neighborhood dogs attacking our flock.

Now both want guns out of the house and think that they are nothing more than tools for criminals. Odd, since they were both children during the Great Depression.
My brother is a cop and thinks people shouldn't have handguns. I pointed out that his profession makes him exempt from having to follow his own ideals. He seems to think that he's entitled to more than the public he serves. Sad.

swift535
June 25, 2008, 07:30 PM
I put neutral but that's not entirely true. My dad owns severals guns, my mom's father owned guns. My dad is pro-gun, and while my mom doesn't think guns should be banned, she is nervous about them. According to my dad she's a pretty good shot, I've never seen her shoot in all my years though.

She's pro-gun for hunting I guess but that's it.

jkingrph
June 25, 2008, 07:31 PM
Mom & Dad had a few guns, one 22 pistol, a shotgun and two rifles.

One time a neighbor was over and her husband was to make some noise outside the window. Mom got the pistol and almost shot him before the wife convinced her not to.

Wheeler44
June 25, 2008, 08:23 PM
I am almost 50 years old and my mom still send me guns. Fortunately she has better taste in firearms than she did in clothing.

BrianB
June 25, 2008, 09:20 PM
Pro gun, owned a .22 and a 16 ga. but never shot them (when I was growing up anyway). Recently got back into shooting with me.

psyopspec
June 25, 2008, 09:30 PM
Mom, neutral. Dad, pro owner.

jahwarrior
June 25, 2008, 09:44 PM
both my parents are gun owners; in fact, i was the anti in the family until a few years ago. my mom doesn't go anywhere without here S&W snubbie, and my dad has a colt officer's model that is in his will for me.

jagugator
June 25, 2008, 11:39 PM
Both parents were philadelphia cops. And dad shot IPSC from inception until about ten years ago. I have most of his race guns and reloading equiptment. :D

When I grew up most people had candy dishes around the house we always had bullet dishes everywhere and when you opened a closet door there was always a gun or two in there.

Green Lantern
June 25, 2008, 11:45 PM
Dad is pretty 'pro,' mom was to a point.

Neither CCWed.

davepool
June 26, 2008, 12:30 AM
Dad was born in Phoenix AZ in 1921, served in the Army for 25 yrs, very pro gun. Mom was an Oklahoma farm girl, moved to AZ after the dust bowl, very pro gun, she's the one who actually took me and sister shooting for the first time when my dad was in Iran in 1959,after the Shah took power. He trained Iranians to repair aircraft engines.

Evyl Robot
June 26, 2008, 01:21 PM
When I was growing up, there were guns in the house. My parents have always liked them, I suppose, but in the last thirty years, I think they've been shooting all of twice? They have shown a lot more interest since my wife and I became gunny hobbiests.

Cyclimus
June 26, 2008, 01:25 PM
Dad was raised to shoot, all of my uncles can as well. Even my grandmother can pick off a running rabbit with ease and she's in her 70s. Mom didn't have much experience with firearms until she joined the Navy but she's competent with a 1911 and a shotgun.

ozwyn
June 26, 2008, 01:34 PM
My parents were strong anti's who gave money to HCI.

Katrina woke them up enough to be less excessively anti, but they still need help.

nwilliams
June 26, 2008, 01:38 PM
My dad is a republican who is tolerable of guns to a certain degree but still far from pro-gun. My mom is a liberal democrat who is very anti-gun. Both my parents don't see guns as a logical self defense tool, they believe calling for help or putting up no resistance are the only options to protect yourself.

Savage Shooter
June 26, 2008, 01:57 PM
Mom is pro gun grew up around guns shot a little enough to know what shes doing. Dad is pro gun grew up around them went hunting all the time. The food I'm sure was appriciated on the table as they were far from rich. I fall into the catagory of gun nut I really don't get that from my parents tho I get that from spending to much time at my grandfathers house :D he's a small gun collector now he's selling things as he get older but still has over forty all old guns the newest is probably made in the 70's the oldest in the 1700's :what:. He recently told me about a original sharps he had bought for 100 bucks and sold it for 1800.00. Anyway that where I get my gun nut gene.:evil:

HANDLOADER
June 26, 2008, 03:12 PM
My mom and dad are pro gun all the way. Mom could care less about guns she never had to use them and god willing she won't have to my dad is a combat hardend vietnam vet and there is where he found his true passion for guns mainly pistols because as he said many of times charlie would have got me if it had not been for my 45. My grandpa was pro gun every one in the family is pro gun exept for one of my mom's sister who dosen't like the ideal of guns at all so there is my family.

BlackJackal
June 26, 2008, 03:32 PM
my dad and mom are seperated, my dad was a hunter all his life, guns dont bother my mother, she made a deal with me that if i got all good grades threw grade 9 that she would apply for the canadian handgun and "scary gun" (ar-15) lisence, known as a restricted, well im going into grade 10 and she is sending away all here forms to get checked by the government and then she will sign us up for a gunclub to go shooting.

Area 52
August 30, 2008, 05:59 PM
Both my parents are anti gun. Dad's a moderate democrat that is against amnesty for illegals and doesn't want higher taxes, but he is also against guns and the Iraq war. Most of my uncles/aunts/grandparents and my mom are moderate Republicans, but she is very against guns and nobody in my extended family has one. (My dad's dad might because he was with LAPD, but I've never heard him mention it.) My dad has given money to the Bradys, and he once told me "I don't know how anyone can own a gun and still value human life."

Zedo
August 30, 2008, 06:11 PM
I grew up in post WWII USA suburbia. Neighbors had the gun collection hanging on the wall in the front room. My buddy had his great uncle's Colt SAA on the shelf in his bedroom (at 12 yrs old). Another neighbor kept his Colt SAA in the kitchen drawer -- along with ammo. Another neighbor kept the rifles behind the coats in a corner of the hall closet.

As kids -- 10 yrs old, my cousin and I played in the neighborhood with Japanese Arisakas, Nambus, a WWII hand-grenade shell, bayonets, and a break-top Iver Johnson 32 cal. revolver. Real, working guns.

There was never an "issue" about "kids having access to guns."

Boy Scouts offered a merit badge in "Marksmanship." Boy's Life, the official publication of the Boy Scouts of America, advertised rifles and ammo. You could buy handguns and rifles through the mail.

My parents didn't hunt. I don't hunt. Most of the neighbors hunted. There was no "pro gun" or "anti gun" sentiment. There was just "gun safety" and RKBA.

SCKimberFan
August 30, 2008, 06:12 PM
I never knew. Dad died when I was 9 and Mom never mentioned them. I had an Uncle that took me hunting once and Mom didn't mind, so I guess she didn't have any aversions to them.

Drgong
August 30, 2008, 06:19 PM
My parents don't own a gun that I know about, dad bought a single shot BB to get rid of tree rats (Squirrels) that where trying to make a nest in the house.

However my dad dad owned a number of firearms over the years (think he sold them all though) and my mom has said that her dad was a crack shot.

They have no problem with me having guns in there house when I come visit. I normally bring my BHP and Nagant to go to a shooting range near there house.

tigre
August 30, 2008, 07:40 PM
My dad "hunted" elk for several years around the time I was born. Mom says he never actually shot at anything and just liked camping and being out in the woods. He kept a couple of his rifles in our finished garage and never shot them, but it was on par with having an old piece of furniture stored out there. Not really an issue. I can only think of one time when I was a kid that my parents even discussed guns, and that was when they found out that my best friend's dad (a DEA agent) regularly left a loaded pistol out on the kitchen counter when he was home. There was a pretty big ****storm over that and I wasn't allowed over there much anymore, but it was much more about his behavior than the gun itself.

I did find out when I was about 16 that Dad had a S&W .357, and had apparently once brandished it during an argument with some guy long ago. That's the rumor anyways. I told him that I was thinking about buying a gun about a year ago, and he didn't seem all that enthused. He likes the idea of me having big dogs, but not so much a gun. I haven't told my mom I have any guns either. I don't think she's anti, but she's pretty unfamiliar with guns and tends to be a bit overly emotional as well. I'll tell her at some point, but the conversation never goes that direction so it's sort of difficult to bring up.

jonmerritt
August 31, 2008, 12:05 AM
We grew up with shotguns, and a pistol. They put food on our table. And we were taught very early, that guns are not toys, you don't play with them, we knew the differance between a play gun and a real gun, duh! And if you did play with a real gun, you would get a butt whooping that you would never forget!!!!!

Seotaji
August 31, 2008, 12:34 AM
My parents are against them, even more so now that I have a son.

As long as the 4 rules are followed and no one except me has access, I think it's ok.

navajo
August 31, 2008, 12:55 AM
My dad grew up hunting. My mother was raised on a farm.
Mom was a pretty good wing shot in her day.
Dad taught both my brother and myself to shoot when we were both very young.
When they left us alone for any reason we both had access to a 1911.
No accidents, no incidents.
Dad is gone, Mom has alzmeimers.
My brother still shoots skeet but has health problems.
I am losing mobility but will be attending a machine gun shoot at a local ranch Sunday evening.
Present at the last shoot; a MP 40, a Sterling, an Isreali made Uzi with can, a MP 5, several M-16s, a 1919 on a tripod, a full auto FNC which throws brass about 30 feet (first one I had seen) a few supressed hand guns and lots of tannerite. Oh, and a Martini-Henery.
I am kind of pro gun.

Hardtarget
August 31, 2008, 01:10 AM
I grew up around guns. Dad hunted and we did a lot of tin can plinking when at my grandparents. Mom was a good shot but she did not shoot very often...just enough for me to know how good she was.

Some of dads comments over the past few years make me think he has started leaning toward anti more than I ever though he would. surprising

Mark.

Rugerlvr
August 31, 2008, 01:13 AM
I've got an update since my April 18th post. My dad went to a concealed carry class with me, and we put in our papers on the same day. We're expecting our permits in about three weeks. He's taking steps to being pro-gun.

kurts_armory
August 31, 2008, 01:26 AM
my dad is pro gun, but my mom was pretty anti gun. the funny thing is, she signed for an ar15 for me when i was 13...

Kentucky-roughrider
August 31, 2008, 02:45 AM
My dad is pro gun and owns a 12 gauge to this day.

MacTech
August 31, 2008, 03:12 AM
Dad owns a few firearms, and used to hunt deer when I was growing up, in my teens, he stopped hunting, but started collecting classic Stevens rifles, he gave that up after a few years, and sold off the lot of them, in my adult years, he's reduced his collection to a few pieces;

an unknown flintlock black powder rifle
a Parker VH grade side-by-side 12 gauge that is now mine, family heirloom
a folding .410 camp shotgun
an Ithaca lever-action .22 single shot (which I secretly covet), the gun he taught me to shoot with when I had outgrown my BB gun
and one remaining Stevens falling-block single shot with octaginal barrel

He also has a Ruger Single Six with both .22LR and .22 Mag cylinders, he still uses it occasionally to put down woodchucks he traps out in our field

Mom, I always though was neutral with slight Anti bias, until she asked me to dispatch a red fox this afternoon, she was going to do it herself until she saw me, and asked me to do the deed, so she's clearly neutral, but willing to use a firearm if needed

b.thomas
August 31, 2008, 03:21 AM
All duck/rabbit/and whatever else hunters back four generation's at least!:D

LightningJoe
August 31, 2008, 05:39 AM
My parents wouldn't let me have toy guns.

Area 52
September 12, 2008, 09:42 PM
^^ Same here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Were your parents Anti or no?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!