Anyone else feel that after shock?

PDA

bogie
April 18, 2008, 06:20 AM
We had a rather interesting little earthquake run through here a few minutes back... I'm in Wentzville, MO, about 45 miles west of St. Louis.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else feel that after shock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
weasel1134
April 18, 2008, 06:25 AM
I am in North Central Indiana. The tremor shook our office pretty good.

rxraptor02
April 18, 2008, 06:27 AM
5.4 on the Richter scale!

Dksimon
April 18, 2008, 06:46 AM
im glad i live in South Dakota since we dont have to deal with those here. tornadoes arent any better tho

IThunter
April 18, 2008, 07:10 AM
I am an hour north of Evansville, IN...darn thing went through the same time my alarm went off. The dog didnt like it 70 pounds of barking love on the bed when he realized what was coming.

Match14
April 18, 2008, 07:15 AM
In Evansville, felt it here too. An interesting way to wake up in the morning, no need for the alarm clock.

Babarsac
April 18, 2008, 07:16 AM
Yipes I just missed it. I was in Bloomington\Crane for the past month.

Ltlabner
April 18, 2008, 07:17 AM
I am in a hotel in Louisville, KY and was in a half-awake/half-dreaming state when I felt the earth shake a bit.

In a fog I was trying to remember if their were rail-road tracks nearby but didn't think there were.

I thought I was dreaming the whole thing, but perhaps I was not.

El Tejon
April 18, 2008, 07:37 AM
Little shaking here in Lafayette, Indiana. Alarm had just gone off and I was in between sleep and awaken.:D Thought I was dreaming.:uhoh:

I took a shower and then got dressed for work. No looting for me thank you.:evil:

Beagle-zebub
April 18, 2008, 07:52 AM
Should I have felt it in Chicago? If so, that's the second earthquake I've slept through.

Blackbeard
April 18, 2008, 08:11 AM
Slept through it in NW Illinois

rxraptor02
April 18, 2008, 08:12 AM
I think Chicago is a little far. Reports here say that the folks in fort wayne did not feel it. I think Chicago is about the same distance from the epicenter(sp).

Our alarms were about to go off. No need for them today. It helped the G/F this morning, she is usualy late for work. Not today...lol

P95loser
April 18, 2008, 08:14 AM
Beleive it or not, I felt it too and I am in Northern AL. I was awake at the time laying in bed and felt tremors.

Intune
April 18, 2008, 08:18 AM
We got it here in Nashvegas. First one I ever experienced. Our parakeet was going wild, screeching & flapping about thirty seconds before the rumble began. It was much louder and laster longer than I would have expected. Kinda cool if one is not near the epicenter & danger. :eek:

MFH
April 18, 2008, 08:19 AM
A slight rattle of the furniture here in Monmouth,IL

glocker82
April 18, 2008, 08:35 AM
Central IL here...it shook the crap out of our house...

Henry Bowman
April 18, 2008, 08:35 AM
Noticed it here in Cincinnati. Woke me up just before the alarm went off. House creaked like people were walking around in all the rooms. No zombies...yet.

Seancass
April 18, 2008, 08:36 AM
oh yeah, we felt it up here at purdue. some people did sleep thought it, but i sure didnt. people living in cheap houses got woken up and thought the world was over. come to think of it, i wonder if my house back home is still standing. it moved with the breeze.

so, what gun to combat earthquakes? you have to start a wave equal and perfectly out of time to that of the quake.

Neo-Luddite
April 18, 2008, 08:39 AM
Slept straight through.

Bronzelats
April 18, 2008, 09:02 AM
I just saw this in Fox News, hopefully there was no serious injury.

1911 guy
April 18, 2008, 09:03 AM
I assume this was on the New Madrid fault line? Maybe better a smallish one now than waiting another forty years.

Robert Hairless
April 18, 2008, 09:38 AM
I was afraid something bad might happen if Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton continued to tell their tall tales.

retgarr
April 18, 2008, 09:48 AM
It wasn't the new madrid fault. I felt and heard it here in W Lafayette. It woke me up and was shaking my bookshelf. I immediately recognized what was going on then was annoyed that my bookshelf was squeaking, just wanted to get back to sleep!

dcar_roll
April 18, 2008, 10:45 AM
I'm in Paris IL. just 20 or so miles from the IND. boarder and we thought the dog was under the bed banging around. I would have been up getting ready to go turkey hunting but I scored my bird yesterday morning so I was trying to sleep in!

siglite
April 18, 2008, 10:49 AM
USGS says 5.2

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 5.2
Date-Time

* Friday, April 18, 2008 at 09:37:00 UTC
* Friday, April 18, 2008 at 04:37:00 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 38.450N, 87.890W
Depth 11.6 km (7.2 miles) set by location program
Region ILLINOIS
Distances

* 7 km (5 miles) NNE (13) from Bellmont, IL
* 9 km (6 miles) E (88) from Bone Gap, IL
* 11 km (7 miles) N (350) from Keensburg, IL
* 41 km (26 miles) SW (232) from Vincennes, IN
* 60 km (38 miles) NNW (331) from Evansville, IN
* 206 km (128 miles) E (95) from St. Louis, MO

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available
Parameters NST=111, Nph=111, Dmin=36.4 km, Rmss=0 sec, Gp= 61,
M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=A
Source

* Center for Earthquake Research and Information, Memphis, Tennessee, USA

Event ID us2008qza6

http://www.criticalstop.com/quake.jpg

Mac45
April 18, 2008, 10:56 AM
Slept right through it.
Did wake up the wife.

Gingerbreadman
April 18, 2008, 10:57 AM
All still in northern MN.

glocker82
April 18, 2008, 11:18 AM
In Illinois?

Intune
April 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
I REALLY need to reassess my emergency plan. 15-30 sec notice from the bird before the house crumbles around us is not real conducive to surviving a SHTF scenario. I would have been doing well just to get family members outside. I have a big plastic bin that I keep my defensive ammo in. Jacket, hunting boots knife, compass, lighters, fishing kit, flashlight. No gun, no MRE's, no warm clothes for family. I'm unprepared for the truly bad instantaneous stuff. I went through the motions but failed when it comes down to it. :banghead:

HELP! :confused: Time is the adversary. Earthquake, tornado and such are capable of massive destruction in a short time span. The "stuff" in the house may be unattainable due to rubble. Leaving my Suburban loaded up with survival gear & multiple weapons is just asking for theft. Leaving it in the garage is just one step better. Leaving it by the front door isn't gonna happen, you married guys would fully understand as I threw myself out the window to the waiting zombies and consider it a good escape. :evil:

Would something like priority stages work? Bag #1 absolutely, positively has to go & has the AK, shotty, Sig & some mags & ammo. Bin #2 has extra ammo, MRE's & the other gear. Bin #3 xtra clothing, tent sleeping bags, etc. Am I on the right track?

If this earthquake had been a killer I don't believe that I could have gone any deeper than bag #1. Just getting out of the house would have been dicey.

Just to keep this gun related... :cool:

Either just had another one, or an after shock here in NE Missouri. 10:20 central

IThunter
Yup just had another one...that was odd.

April 18, 2008, 11:28 AM
Felt it in NE Missouri.

MarcusWendt
April 18, 2008, 11:28 AM
5.4 on the Richter scale!

BAWWWWHAAAHAAAHAAAAA :D :neener:

5.2 barely gets my attention anymore. Let me know when your driveway splits in two, fire AND water are shooting out of the street and you don't have water or power for a week. THAT is an earthquake!

Still, I'm glad no one was hurt. Welcome to our world in California.

exar
April 18, 2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah, aftershock hit a few minutes ago. My cat jumped in my waterbed and we just rocked around for a while at 4:30am in the waves.:D Minimal damage to very old structures in IL. BTW, i'm in Evansville, too.

glocker82
April 18, 2008, 11:43 AM
Felt it in NE Missouri.

Yeah I'm only about 1.5 hours from NE missouri...makes sense we both felt it

Deer Hunter
April 18, 2008, 11:43 AM
just one more reason to move to Texas. :)

kwelz
April 18, 2008, 11:46 AM
I slept right through it.

glocker82
April 18, 2008, 11:47 AM
It was confirmed at 5.7 on the Richter scale...not 5.4 like they originally said.

SecuritySixShooter
April 18, 2008, 11:55 AM
Slept through it in KY

FieroCDSP
April 18, 2008, 11:57 AM
New Madrid Fault? We have strict laws against earthquakes in Ohio, so it's no wonder I didn't feel anything.

hotpig
April 18, 2008, 11:59 AM
Felt it here, half way between St Louis and Springfield IL.

Kind of Blued
April 18, 2008, 12:01 PM
Did somebody shoot a big gun somewhere? ;)

This thread's doomed.

SundownRider
April 18, 2008, 12:02 PM
Slept throught it, but felt the other one in '91. The New Madrid fault is nothing to sneeze at. Last time it really let go, the Mississipi River changed course, a town was submerged, and the bells were ringing in Boston.

It's been building pressure for over 100 years. I think this one was just the start.

BTW, did anyone check the fault line for odd creatures coming forth? Pope being here and all, just wondering if the Mayans were wrong by four years.

Kind of Blued
April 18, 2008, 12:03 PM
I assume that those who aren't are pre-occupied and won't post a response.

BattleChimp Potemkin
April 18, 2008, 12:04 PM
First thing that came to my mind (still half asleep) was...

Imperial Walkers? Here?

Wait a minute :D

cpttango30
April 18, 2008, 12:08 PM
Should I have felt it in Chicago? If so, that's the second earthquake I've slept through.

I grew up 180 north east of San Francisco and when the big one hit during the world series I felt it it was not much that far away but it did make the water spill out of our pool and shook some tools and the celing fans in the house.

realmswalker
April 18, 2008, 12:28 PM
I hope everyone is ok, but I live in california, we EAT 5.4 earthquakes as a snack.

.cheese.
April 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
sorry. That was me trying out my new 30mm AR upper.

Kind of Blued
April 18, 2008, 12:46 PM
Oh man, I just realized that if creatures crawled out of the fault, the closest AR-15 I own is almost a half mile away!

Unacceptable. Completely unacceptable. :)

Soybomb
April 18, 2008, 12:47 PM
I didnt feel it but last night's woke me up!

Cyclimus
April 18, 2008, 12:49 PM
Woke my dog up I think... crazy light sleeper barked like the house was coming down and I live in NE OHIO!

exar
April 18, 2008, 12:49 PM
Discussion here.

nplant
April 18, 2008, 01:57 PM
Um. Why the loopback to page 1?

Anyway, yeah, 5.4 is a respectable earthquake. Glad to hear that there's no major damage. Us native Californians have our emergency kits ready for 7+, though. Remember that the Richter is a base-10 logarithmic scale, so each step is ten times bigger than the one before it. I always enjoy seeing California visitors or recent immigrants in public when a strong-ish quake hits. Lots of freaking out. You can always pick out the long term residents because they keep sipping their coffee or reading or whatever.

exar
April 18, 2008, 01:59 PM
Um. Why the loopback to page 1?

That was a link from a dupe thread that the mods merged over to this thread. I was guiding them here. My edit also explains that.

glocker82
April 18, 2008, 02:01 PM
You can always pick out the long term residents because they keep sipping their coffee or reading or whatever.

Yeah then the ceiling collapses on them. Ahhh complacency, what would we do without it.

smullen
April 18, 2008, 02:12 PM
It was a bit after 4am here when I felt it....

It was funny, my boss two other guys and I were stading in a telcotype concreete gear bunker in Roxanna Illinois about 20-25 minutes away from N.St. Louis County...

We were standing there b.s.ing with the two big service doors open as it was decent night/morning...

All of a sudden the floor started to wobble and ripple a bit... My boos gets this crazy look on his face and goes *** was that... He said, OH ****, that truck is rocking too... We peeked out the door and it was rocking on its own like crazy... I noticed a few of the liht fixtures and things over heard were wobbling a bit... I said, that had to be a tremor or small quake as we can see no big trucks went by...

A few seconds later some guys in our Network Operations Center (NOC) hit us on IM and said, Did you guys just feel that.... Then my Mom called in a panic and said, you all right.... They had a bunch of pictures, candels and small crap fall over...

My wife and daughter slept right through the whole thing...

bogie
April 18, 2008, 02:23 PM
Keep in mind that these things can happen in chunks, we're theoretically due (funny, they haven't been talking about it on the tee-vee a lot...) for another tick of the main New Madrid fault... Last time it went rodeo was 1811, and was over 8...

Be a nice idea to keep guns and basic survival gear in a vehicle, NOT parked in your garage...

Kind of Blued
April 18, 2008, 02:24 PM
Anyway, yeah, 5.4 is a respectable earthquake. Glad to hear that there's no major damage. Us native Californians have our emergency kits ready for 7+, though. Remember that the Richter is a base-10 logarithmic scale, so each step is ten times bigger than the one before it. I always enjoy seeing California visitors or recent immigrants in public when a strong-ish quake hits. Lots of freaking out. You can always pick out the long term residents because they keep sipping their coffee or reading or whatever.

Just as I, from Colorado, feel about visiting folks driving their cars off of cliffs on their way up the mountains or sliding at 5mph into intersections and into oncoming traffic.

"Yeah bud, probably shoulda seen that comin'..." :)

The last time I was in California (I lived in Kansas at the time) I met this girl who said:

"Have you ever been in a tornado?"
"What? They roam around every once in a while..."
"But have you ever been in one?"
"Like sucked up into a tornado?"
"Yeah."
"No..."

:scrutiny::uhoh:

trailgator
April 18, 2008, 02:59 PM
I was in bed with my wife at 4:30. It's not unusual for me to feel the earth move. :evil:

glocker82
April 18, 2008, 03:01 PM
^^Ok I took that several ways(Reproduction or Obesity?).

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else feel that after shock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!