PDA

turnyourback
April 18, 2008, 12:46 PM
from 15 feet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/turnyourback/P4160001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/turnyourback/P4160006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/turnyourback/45three.jpg

not bad, huh? ;)

if anyone is in north jersey and looking for basic pistol instruction (as well a litany of other self defense/security-related classes), i highlyyy recommend jay puterbaugh and everyone else at gun for hire ("new jersey's premier defense training facility"). across from the bullet hole in belleville, nj.

www.firearmstrainingcenter.com
www.gunforhire.com

now, to figure out what gun to buy... :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "my first time shooting .45 acp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
April 18, 2008, 01:36 PM
Nice shooting & welcome to THR ;)

ojibweindian
April 18, 2008, 01:52 PM
Very commendable.

A good 1911 is a joy to shoot, and can make anyone an excellent marksman (assuming the posted targets were perforated by a 1911).

turnyourback
April 18, 2008, 05:15 PM
yes, they were made by a 1911. i wish i could remember which one (i think i shot about 5 .45s that day - will figure out which ones later, as i have to run to work).

thanks for the kind words :)

Babalouie
April 18, 2008, 05:48 PM
Welcome to the community! Nice shooting.

The Lone Haranguer
April 18, 2008, 06:58 PM
So did it live up to its reputation for fierce recoil? ;)

It certainly has more than a 9mm, but none of the sharp "snap" of the .40, which I find unpleasant.

makarovnik
April 19, 2008, 01:44 AM
.45acp seems to be an inherently accurate round and just fun to shoot. I love it but wish it had a tad more penetration capability. The government asked for the .38 super back in the '20's or '30's because it would not penetrate the body armor that gangsters were wearing. Against an un-armored target the .45acp is hard to beat.

Keep up the good shooting!

LawofThirds
April 19, 2008, 02:26 AM
If you're looking for more penetration you could always step up to a +P or +P+ which any quality 1911 should be able to handle. Also considering that any level II armor is going to stop just about any non armor piercing handgun round, what are you looking to penetrate?

If you're really looking for superior penetration out of a 45 ACP, find some of those 230+ grain LWC or FMJ and load em to +P if you/your gun can handle it.

matt-s
April 19, 2008, 09:05 PM
Hey!

I second the endorsement for Jay's training. I had never shot a handgun before. Two visits to the range after getting basic instruction from Jay, I managed the following 5-round group from 25 feet.

- Matt

Harley Quinn
April 20, 2008, 02:21 PM
After seeing the two of your groups and recommendations I would be hesitant to believe this is your first shooting lessons. It is a fact that the 45 is an accurate round for shooting at targets, it is also a fact that the 1911 is not an easy gun to shoot for the inexperienced. So based on what both of you have said I'd say you are accomplished shots and are BSing...:neener:

:what:

jdc1244
April 20, 2008, 02:38 PM
After seeing the two of your groups and recommendations I would be hesitant to believe this is your first shooting lessons. It is a fact that the 45 is an accurate round for shooting at targets, it is also a fact that the 1911 is not an easy gun to shoot for the inexperienced. So based on what both of you have said I'd say you are accomplished shots and are BSing.

Perhaps, but at 15 feet I could stab the target… :D:neener:

Let’s see 25 feet or more.

matt-s
April 20, 2008, 02:46 PM
Ha - I would have said the same Harley.

I'll be honest. For me, that was a lucky group. That was somewhat early in my session, and after shooting it, I psyched myself out. I totally fell apart afterwards. I keep that photo around though, in case I even try to tell myself "it's the gun, not me!" when things don't go well.

Jay seems to know the 1911 well. He was able to debug some things that would have become bad habits, and pointed out a few simple changes that I found to be pretty counter-intuitive, but worked for me.

I can't speak for turnyourback. I doubt I have ever met him.

I did not intend to turn this into a sales pitch. That said, I had a similar experience with this instructor, and was excited to see someone else here who has worked with him, and shoots where I do - so I could not help but post.

YMMV!

- Matt.

Harley Quinn
April 20, 2008, 03:29 PM
Perhaps, but at 15 feet I could stab the target…

Let’s see 25 feet or more.

The normal shootings that occur are at closer ranges than 15 feet in LEO work. Fast quick and unexpected. So that is what you need to work on as in semi rapid and rapid (rapid as in double tap, is not allowed where I shoot as a non LEO...LEOs are allowed for pre-qualification and qualification only)...

The first string of fire is at 3 yds, then it is moved out to 5 yds, then 7 yds:uhoh: The slow fire is good for control, but semi rapid and rapid rule;)

Seven yds is 21 feet :p

turnyourback
April 20, 2008, 10:59 PM
harley: this was my first and only shooting lesson, i swear :) i had shot a 9mm glock 19 once before, but that was all in the way of handguns. my other groupings were similar (although a little farther apart given the further distance), but still real good. what can i say, i'm a good shot! ;)

jdc1244: sure. once i can get back to the range, which, being in new jersey and not owning a handgun, might be a while...

matt: i'm female. other than that, i agree that jay is awesome. he was super supportive of me the whole way through and basically just instilled in me that i could shoot any gun i wanted and do well shooting it. he definitely made me feel secure about shooting, which i definitely think positively impacted my performance. i think i need jay in my ear every time i shoot!

If you enjoyed reading about "my first time shooting .45 acp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!