Finishing my basement, gun storage closet questions

PDA

peetee32
April 18, 2008, 04:50 PM
I am in the process of finishing my basement. I have one area that i have walled off that contains a sump pump that was newly installed into poured concrete in november. it is sealed on all sides on the top, there is a rubber gasket where the outgoing water pipe leaves the sump pump. in fact here is a picture:
http://www.basementsystems.com/sump_pump/
its sealed up pretty good, even when the condensation from the AC feeds into it there is no musty smell or moisture.

i was planning on framing the walls around it, and decided against a bifold door and decided i want to hang a locking interior door to lock this closet up. i will keep my nail gun, my .22 concrete nailer, saws, "dangerous" tools, and firearms in this closet, locked with a key that will be in my safe.

i am thinking about storing my savage bolt action 30-06, savage single shot bolt .22, and my ruger 10/22 in this closet also.

-is this s good place to store guns and ammo considering there will be a slightly higher humidity due to the sump pump?
-should i take a humidity reading, what are acceptable levels?
-should i put trigger locks on all the firearms, or just remove the bolts and lock them in a safe?
-can i store ammo here too, or should that be locked up in a box also?
-when storing a bolt removed from a gun, should it be oiled, or put in a special bag/container?

just looking for some ideas on how to secure the firearms and ammo and still keep them in top condition before i finish up the framing and drywall. thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Finishing my basement, gun storage closet questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M14/11B
April 18, 2008, 04:56 PM
I think this may just be rust waiting to happen. Wait till you're completely done with the drywall and paint too, because they will bring moisture into the room too. Just my

Eric F
April 18, 2008, 04:58 PM
I have that plus a dehumidifier and clean space basement system. If you get the dehumidifier I think you will be fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Finishing my basement, gun storage closet questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!