Trigger Pull Weight

PDA

schmeky
April 18, 2008, 11:21 PM
I have been doing some minor work on a few of my 1911's and I have acheived some very good feeling trigger pulls. I am in the process of making a home-made trigger pull scale to find out what I have.

Does anyone know precisely the pull weight on their best shooters?

If you enjoyed reading about "Trigger Pull Weight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Wiry Irishman
April 19, 2008, 01:44 AM
My 1911 is between 4 and 5, I'd say right in the middle.

The Pardini SP I shoot bullseye with is currently adjusted to a 1 pound trigger.

The DruLov Model 75 free pistol I shoot bullseye with is 8 oz.

CWL
April 19, 2008, 02:05 AM
I have my M1911s set to exactly 4lbs. They feel like the proverbial glass rod breaking and travel a little bit over 1/8". These are for carry pistols.

10-Ring
April 19, 2008, 03:01 AM
It really varies -- one man's 2.5#'s is another man's 3#. But I've noticed I really like my triggers at a crisp & consistent 3.5#'s for all around use and on my target gun, I like'em 1.5 to 2#'s

GRIZ22
April 19, 2008, 11:58 AM
Depends on what you're using it forFor a carry gun 4-5 pounds is fine. Going to less is asking for trouble. Lighter triggers are okay for target guns but I wouldn't go less than 3#.

Pat-inCO
April 19, 2008, 04:17 PM
Depends on what you're using it for. For a carry gun 4-5 pounds is fine. Going to less is asking for trouble. Lighter triggers are okay for target guns but I wouldn't go less than 3#.
Agree completely. I just purchased a Lyman gage and found that the one I have that seems a bit on the light side is actually 3#. The ones that feel really good run right at 4#. The ones that are OK run 5# (all 1911s).

Does anyone know precisely the pull weight on their best shooters?
Dang betcha :D

Pa.Bill
April 19, 2008, 04:25 PM
I have S&W 19/.357 its about 3.5 and its feels like 'nothing'!!
For me, I would not go lower, but you can test what is right for you.

~BEST~
Bill----------------------->

M47 Dragon
April 19, 2008, 06:17 PM
I am in the process of making a home-made trigger pull scale...

I'd be very interested to know how you are doing this... as long as it doesn't involve rocket science. :confused:

Black Majik
April 19, 2008, 07:38 PM
My 1911s are around or under 4 lbs. My Kimber is a tick over 4 lbs to be approved for carry.

Walkalong
April 19, 2008, 07:51 PM
A nice, crisp, clean breaking 4 Lb trigger is all you need on a carry gun. Anything less should be for a range gun, or as low as you can make it reliable on a competition gun.

Steve C
April 20, 2008, 02:39 AM
Most gunsmiths will not reduce the trigger pull on a 1911 below 4lbs. 4lbs is the magic number which happens to be the minimum allowed in NRA Bullseye matches for .45 cal. Such rules come from AD's with lighter pulls. FWIW you can go to 2.5lbs on .22's and smaller caliber center fires when used in other than the service pistol match portion.

The Wiry Irishman
April 20, 2008, 04:19 AM
4lbs is the magic number which happens to be the minimum allowed in NRA Bullseye matches for .45 cal.

3.5 pounds is the minimum for NRA bullseye with a .45. Bullseye shooters set them to four because they tend to lighten up with use.

I'm pretty sure the minimum for rimfire and small centerfire is an even two, as well. May be wrong on that count, though.

Funderb
April 20, 2008, 04:47 AM
mauser pull is about 957.83 lbs.
I measured it pretty exactly.
Gotta figure a way to remedy that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trigger Pull Weight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!