.500 S&W Mag - legal in Ontario Canada?

PDA

PTK
April 19, 2008, 02:32 AM
I have a friend living in Ottawa, Ontario in Canada. He was curious about getting a firearms license, specifically a pistol license (or whatever it is) and asked me if .500 S&W mag is legal there.

Is it?

If so, where would he apply for appropriate licenses, permits, etc.? I really don't know how to help him out.

If you enjoyed reading about ".500 S&W Mag - legal in Ontario Canada?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SDC
April 19, 2008, 08:58 AM
Yes, 500 S&W is legal in Canada, but 32 S&W isn't (unless you had one before the LIEberal's cut-off date). To buy a handgun in Canada, he has to pass both the non-restricted and restricted PAL (Possession & Acquisition Licence) courses, and he has to be a member of a gun club that is approved for restricted firearms. Handguns are only allowed to be fired at a target range that is approved for them, so he wouldn't be allowed to carry a handgun in bear country "just in case". In Ottawa, his best bets are to take the courses with an instructor/examiner like Dave Bartlett ( http://www.firearmstraining.ca/main.htm ) or at the RA Centre on Riverside (they offer both courses on weekends). After he passes both tests, he sends in his paperwork, and has to wait a minimum of a month before a licence is issued, then he has to decide which handgun he wants, and where to buy it; you can buy through the mail here, but the paperwork has to go through and be approved (another month or so) before it's actually shipped. Because the only commonly-allowable reason to own a handgun in Canada is for target-practice, he also has to be a member of a gun club that allows restricteds, and in that calibre, I think his only option is likely to be the Eastern Ontario Handgun Club ( http://www.eohc.ca/eohc.asp ; they also explain the process for buying a restricted firearm there).

PTK
April 19, 2008, 10:06 AM
SDC

Thank you, I'll forward all that information to him! It almost seems it would be easier for him to wait a few years until he moves to the USA!

Chipperman
April 19, 2008, 02:18 PM
It almost seems it would be easier for him to wait a few years until he moves to the USA!

Depending on how elections go, the .500 S&W may not be legal in the U.S. in a few years. :uhoh:

hksw
April 19, 2008, 03:06 PM
Yes, 500 S&W is legal in Canada, but 32 S&W isn't (unless you had one before the LIEberal's cut-off date).

:confused:

Why the heck isn't .32 SW legal?

SDC
April 19, 2008, 03:43 PM
Because handguns chambered for any 25 or 32 calibre cartridge, or that have a barrel shorter than 105.1mm (about 4 1/4") were prohibited by the LIEberals the last time they were in power. That means that even something like a T/C Contender in 32 Win Special, or 25-06 is prohibited because they consider it a "Saturday Night Special". That's the way they sold this BS, but the truth is that the LIEberals wanted to give the gun control lobby some sort of trophy, and since handguns were already registered, the 25/32/105mm was an easy way for them to get that. It prohibited approximately 60% of all the legally-owned handguns in Canada.

Eightball
April 19, 2008, 03:57 PM
So, would the .327 Federal also be banned?

SDC
April 19, 2008, 04:06 PM
Yep. There are a few limited exemptions; after they passed this crap, they realized that they had also just prohibited every Olympic centrefire pistol as well, so they had to write up a list to allow the Pardinis/Hammerlis/Walthers/etc. to continue to be imported, but if it's not on that list, it's toast.

MD_Willington
April 20, 2008, 12:29 AM
I remember what it was like shooting before all the crap got passed, .45ACP at the gravel pit...

Glad I'm in the US now, 8 minutes down the road to the farm in Idaho and we can belt off rounds all day long, even my 9x19 with a barrel shorter than 105.1mm....

TAB
April 20, 2008, 01:13 AM
Because handguns chambered for any 25 or 32 calibre cartridge, or that have a barrel shorter than 105.1mm (about 4 1/4") were prohibited by the LIEberals the last time they were in power. That means that even something like a T/C Contender in 32 Win Special, or 25-06 is prohibited because they consider it a "Saturday Night Special". That's the way they sold this BS, but the truth is that the LIEberals wanted to give the gun control lobby some sort of trophy, and since handguns were already registered, the 25/32/105mm was an easy way for them to get that. It prohibited approximately 60% of all the legally-owned handguns in Canada.

so my 257 whby mag is a saturday night special... can we please tell that to weatherby and nosler that they need to drop the price on ammo...( starts at $50 and $75 a box respectivly.)

LAR-15
April 21, 2008, 09:17 PM
I believe that certain antique handguns are exempt from the .32 and .25 caliber ban passed in 1995 but not much else

If you enjoyed reading about ".500 S&W Mag - legal in Ontario Canada?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!