seeking input from sig experts

PDA

jlh26oo
April 19, 2008, 07:07 AM
I recently learned of these p6/225 deals that are all the rage now. I have one Sig (a p220), which is by far my favorite pistol, so I was just thinking how I could NOT buy a 9mm version of it if it's less than half the price?

Now after looking into it a little further, I see there might be more differences that matter to me than I first noticed. None of which are dealbreakers per se (especially at this price), but I just want to make sure I'm aware of them all: stamped vs SS slide (I'm know you guys actually prefer stamped anyways), parkerized vs nitron finish, and the trigger is heavier- but how much heavier? Because 24 pound mainspring vs 18 pound mainspring doesn't tell me much. Any idea how much the actual trigger pull weight would be different? I've had REALLY heavy DA before and I could never get used to shooting them. Import markings are no big deal. No night sights are no big deal. Funny looking hammer isn't a big deal.

Anyways, I understand that all of these are easy fixes, IE only a few dollars I could swap out the mainspring, and the sights are swappable, I could even get it finished any way I want, etc- but I know the reality is that I won't ever do any of that, so I have to figure out if I will like the pistol as it comes from AIm or buds etc, because if I don't then it won't matter how much of a deal I got. Especially considering I have trouble making myself SELL pistols, even if I need to.

So <$300 is not a huge gamble, but adding a permanent fixture kind of is, so I'd appreciate input from some of you who have both a p6 and other sigs who can point out any other differences I might be overlooking, and how big the ones I mentioned are. The grip will be a little smaller, but is it so much smaller that the edge of a large palm will overhang the bottom of the grip (I do on a g19, but not a 17)?

If you enjoyed reading about "seeking input from sig experts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AZHighCountry
April 19, 2008, 06:08 PM
"but I know the reality is that I won't ever do any of that"

I never changed springs etc. either, until a couple weeks ago. I picked up a FEG 32 for $119. Had the worst DA trigger of anything I had ever shot. My girlfriend couldn't even fire it DA. I was going to just trade it off but decided to give changing the springs a chance. Ordered a set of 3 hammer springs from Wolf as well as a new recoil spring. Took only a couple days to arrive, about 2 minutes to change and all for around $20. Now the thing shoots great and is a blast to play with.

I picked up one of the P6's Monday. Very nice piece for the money except for the heavy trigger. I don't know what the actual pull weight is but it is terrible. The FEG was not much heavier. The Wolf springs in the FEG where so much better I haven't even fired the Sig with the factory spring and I expect the Wolf spring set will be here Monday.

I would say get the P6 and order a spring set from Wolf. You will have a very nice pistol for the amount of money invested. The P6 is my 5th Sig and will bet it will be as nice as the rest with the new spring for a lot less money.

Bob

9mmepiphany
April 19, 2008, 07:32 PM
i just ordered 2 from AIM after looking one over at my FFL's. it was really nice for a police surplus gun, especially at more like 1/3 what a 220 is running

they have had enough rounds through them to have pretty smooth actions and i didn't think the one i felt was very heavy...not anymore than factory stock guns.

the p6 is actually blued rather than parkerized...and i much perfer it to the nitron (which you only get on a stainless slide)

If you enjoyed reading about "seeking input from sig experts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!