Reliability, Maintainance & New Sights For K9?

PDA

Dirty Dawg
April 19, 2008, 11:02 AM
I had some reliability issues with my K9 last time out and am hoping to avoid the same later today. That being the case, I broke it down last night and gave it a good cleaning. While I had it apart, I replaced the stock recoil spring with a 20lb Wolff spring and traded out the mag springs for Wolff springs as well. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to change out the striker spring. It looked like a bigger job than I had time for and I didn't have a second set of hands available either (from what I've read it's a three hand job?)

My questions are:

What are the recommended lubrication points? Also what type of lubrication would you advise and how heavy should that lubrication be?

How difficult is replacing the striker spring and can any of you explain the process or provide a link to such information? I searched but couldn't find adequate information .

Lastly, I'm thinking about replacing the sights. I'd like something that allows me to acquire the target a little easier. Do any of you have recommendations?

BTW: I bought this pistol new in 1996 after taking a close look at Kahr at the Dallas Shot Show. It's been a 99% gun until last week when it became a 80% gun. I love the gun; it's accurate, small and light. But a gun that goes "click" when it should go "bang" is no better than a paper weight for SD. It's gotta get better or it's days are done.

ADDED by EDIT:

Are there mods I can make? Maybe polish the ramp? Is that possible with a dremel tool and if not what would you recommend?

If you enjoyed reading about "Reliability, Maintainance & New Sights For K9?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DawgFvr
April 19, 2008, 01:58 PM
Whoa...wait a minute. I thought Kahr only used Wolf springs in all their weapons or is that the default springs only in the new Elite line? Chime in Kahr owners...educate me.

As I understand it, Kahrs are built tight...maybe too tight. They seriously need every bit of a 250rd break-in.

I would also use different ammo...all my autos, except my Stoeger/Beretta Cougar have some kind of ammo preferance.

Clean and lube just like any other auto. I like slide-glide on all my auto rails and pivoting points.

Dirty Dawg
April 19, 2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks Dawg. I don't know what's standard for Kahr but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that suppliers have changed over the 12 years I've owned this gun. All I know is that according to Wolff, the standard K9 recoil spring is 20 pounds and the one I replaced it with is 22 pounds. As for the mags, the Wolff springs I just put in are supposed to be 5% stronger than the stock Kahr springs. I'm hoping these two changes will correct most if not all of the problems I had last time out. From just the little I've seen since the install, it seems to rack and feed a little better now but I got sidetracked by my Harley and a beautiful day so I haven't been able to fire it yet.

This gun has had plenty of rounds through it for break in. From what I hear, the early guns like this one, were a little too tight. Seems like I read somewhere that Kahr had actually loosened up the tolerances just a hair on later issues but I don't know how or if that would help me.

You mention other Kahr owners but you coulda fooled me. I can't seem to get a response from anyone who's goot hands on experience with these guns here and the only reason I joined was because there seemed to be more Kahr info on this forum than on others that I visited. Come on guys, help a fellow Kahr owner out. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Reliability, Maintainance & New Sights For K9?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!