Shot first reloads

PDA

Vicious-Peanut
April 19, 2008, 02:22 PM
Well, I finally got out to the range to shoot my first loads. I had 30 - 50 grain SP with 26 gr. BL(C)-2 and one of them failed to eject fully in my Mini-14. Next up was the same bullet with 26.5 gr. of BL(C)-2 and all 75 of them went off without a hitch, and ejected fine. all loads used winchester SR primers. I guess the 26 gr. load is little light for the Mini.

Anyways it felt great to finally shoot them and no have any problems with them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot first reloads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RustyFN
April 19, 2008, 02:34 PM
It's about damn time.:neener: There's nothing like the feeling of shooting your own loads for the first time. Congrats.
Rusty

lgbloader
April 19, 2008, 10:46 PM
I still remember shooting the first 38 spl rounds that I loaded. I was so proud... I loaded em with the Lee classic loader, too! Man, those were the days... I might have to load some 38 spcl on my single station press instead of my "blue press" for good 'ole timesake!!

scrat
April 19, 2008, 11:19 PM
yep i remember that day. your nervous as heck at first but then you pull the trigger and they work and your instantly hooked.

Floppy_D
April 19, 2008, 11:24 PM
The 1st rounds I ever made, I put through my Sig P229... my tailpipe was pickle-puckered for the first few, but I relaxed a little after I had a few mags through it.

Thousands of rounds later without factory ammo, no complaints. :D

Sunray
April 20, 2008, 03:55 AM
"...the 26 gr. load is little light for the Mini..." Not if it was only one case. 26.0 is the starting load for BL-C2 with that bullet weight. Most likely the one case isn't quite right. A burr or slightly off size extractor groove. You're next step is to work up a load.
Beginning with the starting load given in your manual, load 5 rounds only. Go up by half a grain of powder, loading 5 of each keeping them separate until you get to the max load in your manual.
Then go shooting. Shoot at 100 yards, for group only, slowly and deliberately off a bench.
Change targets between strings of 5 and allow time for the barrel to cool.
When you find the best group, sight in.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot first reloads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!