Any reason to get 12 lb. trigger for Glock?

PDA

newbie4help
April 19, 2008, 02:52 PM
Other than cops/jurisdictions that require it? I'm new to handguns. Does this make it safer? Does it impair its use to any big degree? Harder to be accurate?

http://www.glock.com/english/index_acc.htm

Also how often do you need to change trigger springs, assuming around 200 rounds week of practice shooting?

If you enjoyed reading about "Any reason to get 12 lb. trigger for Glock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chipperman
April 19, 2008, 03:04 PM
The 12# trigger is supposed to make it feel more like a revolver. Some people erroneously try to make it into a safety device.

The safety is between your ears. If you should not be pulling the trigger, don't pull the trigger.

Making a trigger pull heavier will not make up for poor handling and safety skills.

Desertscout
April 19, 2008, 03:21 PM
Nope

deercop
April 19, 2008, 03:36 PM
I use the NY1 (8 lbs) trigger spring combined with the "-" (3.5 lbs) connector, for a final weight of 6 lbs. There is resistance from the beginning of the trigger stroke, and it feels almost like a revolver (esp a Colt that "stacks"). I have this same set up in all my Glocks, by choice.

Additionally, the trigger spring is supposedly the "weak link" in the Glock system, some supposedly have broken at 10K-20K rounds. The NY springs eliminate that concern, although frankly I wouldn't be too concerned with it anyway.

Chipperman
April 19, 2008, 03:37 PM
Also how often do you need to change trigger springs, assuming around 200 rounds week of practice shooting?

If this is a gun you depend your life on, maybe change springs every 2 years. If not, replace springs when they break.

10-Ring
April 19, 2008, 04:04 PM
One of my shooting buddies has a G19 w/ the 8# trigger...I'm not a fan. I wouldn't put the 3.5# trigger on it either --- I've kept my G19 stock and it has been great!

MCgunner
April 19, 2008, 06:23 PM
IMHO.....

Does this make it safer?

Yes and I'd try it and the 8 lb trigger if I went with a Glock, see which I liked best.

Does it impair its use to any big degree?

No, not if you know how to shoot DA.

Harder to be accurate?

Again, not if you know how to shoot DA, not combat accuracy. Oh, you wouldn't want it on a bullseye gun, but Glocks aren't big with the bulleye crowd anyway. I've seen PPC shooters do some amazing things with a DA revolver and I'm sure the Glock would be as smooth as most revolver actions considering all the trigger has to do is retract a striker and firing pin block, doesn't have to rotate a cylinder.

wally
April 19, 2008, 06:44 PM

Because you really wished you'd got a S&W Sigma instead!

I'd hit better throwing a block instead of shooting my Glock until I put in the 3.5lb connector -- I question if this setup is safe for carry though, but my Glocks are range guns only and among my least favorite at that.

--wally.

davepool
April 19, 2008, 07:04 PM
To bulk up the muscles in your trigger finger?

GRIZ22
April 19, 2008, 10:49 PM
I use the NY1 (8 lbs) trigger spring combined with the "-" (3.5 lbs) connector, for a final weight of 6 lbs.

I have heard of this and intend to try it sometime.

Back to the original question, no I see no reason for the 12# trigger other than an agency requiring it (bad idea). The agency I worked for mandated the 8# trigger. I grew accustomed to it and haven't changed mine since I retired. I have other Glocks with the std 5# and can't see how a 3.5# would make me shoot better. I know 4'-10", 85 lb agents that shoot great with an 8#. If you can't shoot with it you certainly need to develop your hand muscles rather than go to a lighter trigger.

BlazingAngel01
April 19, 2008, 11:44 PM
I say don't by your 8 shot your crying.
I just took mine out.

DougDubya
April 20, 2008, 01:26 AM
The 8 pound spring also gives a more "palpable" reset when shooting it. Better in feel and speed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any reason to get 12 lb. trigger for Glock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!