Problem w/Atstra A-75...help

PDA

Don Lu
April 19, 2008, 04:15 PM
Today I cleaned and lubricated my Astra A-75...after reassembly, It is VERY hard to rack the slide..I took it apart again just to make sure nothing was out of place. When I reassembled it...still very hard to rack the slide...any ideas ?and....Im a strong guy...I promise its not a streghnth issue..lol.

thanks ahead for any input !

If you enjoyed reading about "Problem w/Atstra A-75...help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hksw
April 19, 2008, 05:01 PM
Possible the spring is binding? (Try turning it around.)

You don't see any burrs on the rails?

Don Lu
April 19, 2008, 05:04 PM
don't see anything onrails....I'll try turning the spring around...why would that make a diference?

Don Lu
April 19, 2008, 05:28 PM
turning the spring did the trick...so simple but I would nerver have thought to do it....can u explain what happened and why spring needed to beturned ? is there a right side and wrong side of a spring ?

wally
April 19, 2008, 07:52 PM
is there a right side and wrong side of a spring

Sometimes, as you discovered yours is one, 1911s also usually have asymmetrical springs -- the open end points towards the bushing, although if you get it backwards its not such a big deal.

--wally.

Don Lu
April 19, 2008, 08:21 PM
great info...thanks a lot !

Glockorama
April 19, 2008, 09:44 PM
Nice to see a thread about something a little unusual (A-75).

I saw an A-75 in 9mm at a pawn shop about a year ago for $250. Almost popped for it. They are hard to find these days. Same parts aquisition problems as Star, but good, solid guns.

One nice thing about the new captive springs in a lot of pistols..You can't put 'em in backwards.;)

hksw
April 19, 2008, 11:23 PM
As noted above, sometimes it does make a difference. To tell you the truth, I never really noticed it myself in my A-75s as they've never bound on me whenever I re-assembled them so never looked for the problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "Problem w/Atstra A-75...help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!