Does anyone own a green laser??

PDA

TTR
April 19, 2008, 03:49 PM
I read about the green laser and how it performs in the daylight. The red lasers are pretty much usless in the daylight hours.

I hate to fork out $300+ bucks and find out they don't work in the daylight hours as advertized. Anyone have any real world experience with a green laser??:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone own a green laser??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sithanas
April 20, 2008, 05:38 PM
To me, it seems a poor idea to invest in a laser sight that has a visible beam which would lead directly back to where you are standing. Just a thought.

But other than that, they're bright as all get out.

tntwatt
April 20, 2008, 05:45 PM
From what I remember in school, the eye sees green about 100 times better than red.

inkhead
April 20, 2008, 05:50 PM
Just realize that unlike red lasers, green lasers have a 100% visible beam all the way..

highorder
April 20, 2008, 06:18 PM
thats just not true. do you have a source for that misinformation?

mek42
April 20, 2008, 07:04 PM
Lasers by definition are collimated (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collimated_light). This means that very little light will be going in a direction other than where the laser is pointing. In foggy or smoky situations much of the laser light will be reflected of the dust, smoke or water particles making it possible to "see" the laser's path. I'm not sure how easy it would be to see the dot on target in these situations since so much light will be wasted to and from the target. These situations may contraindicate laser usage entirely.

Again, on a clear day, there shouldn't be a naked eye detectable amount of stray light emitted other than on the target.

highorder
April 20, 2008, 08:07 PM
Light Amplified by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation...

One of my favorite subjects! If you can afford a greenie, they perform well.

sithanas
April 20, 2008, 09:21 PM
You are correct that in full day the beam is low visibility. However, because of the sensitivity of the human eye to the green wavelength, at dusk or night the beam is entirely visible.

Packman
April 20, 2008, 10:23 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but does Crimson Trace make any green lasers?

Specifically, I'm looking for them for either a Glock 19 or 26.

rero360
April 20, 2008, 11:12 PM
I bought a green laser from wicked lasers, a nexus, 95mW, can light paper on fire and start matches, or I should say it could when it worked.

I bought it for when I was in Iraq, and it was impressive, one night on guard tower duty I lased a mosk that was about two miles away, we could see the dot on the dome with binos. but it stopped working, I sent an email to wicked lasers and they gave me a RMA, sent it back and got a new one in short order. However the new one didn't last as long as the first, however I didn't realize it had broke until I had come home from leave and the warrenty time had expired. I was not too thrilled about that.

S4Lee
April 20, 2008, 11:16 PM
I think they'd have to start a new division if they did. Emerald Trace, maybe? :D

Check out www.LaserMax.com for green lasers for handguns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone own a green laser??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!