Checking my understanding...

PDA

paradox998
April 19, 2008, 09:27 PM
I want to ship a barrel and wheel from an antique revolver. As long as I do not ship the frame am I within the law? The gun is a 100+ years old and I would ship it to myself. Thanks, I am sure this has been asked before, but could not find a sure answer by the search function.

If you enjoyed reading about "Checking my understanding..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
uneasy_rider
April 19, 2008, 09:37 PM
If the gun was made prior to 1899, it is considered an antique and not a firearm by the ATF. So there are no shipping restrictions as far as federal regulations. I am not sure how shippers would treat it though.

Mojo-jo-jo
April 19, 2008, 09:37 PM
You can ship all the parts you want, to whoever you want, anywhere you want EXCEPT frames or receivers (frames and receivers can be shipped in many circumstances, however there are legal stipulations / requirements). There are relaxed rules for firearms made before 1899 and some reproductions (excluding cap-and-ball handgun reproductions) that only fire with black powder. Take a look over at the ATF web site for more information.

TheBluesMan
April 19, 2008, 09:46 PM
Good advice above.

NavyLCDR
April 21, 2008, 05:00 PM
Put those suckers in a box, take it down to the post office and mail away, neither the barrell nor the cylinder are even remotely considered firearms.

Barrell is the antique spelling for barrel, by the way :-)

mekender
April 21, 2008, 08:00 PM
since you are shipping it to yourself, you can ship the whole thing... only requirement would be that you are the only one that would be legally allowed to open the package

Dksimon
April 21, 2008, 08:08 PM
may I ask why you are shipping it to yourself. Is there an issue involved with carrying it with you?

If you enjoyed reading about "Checking my understanding..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!