Leaving a gun behind

PDA

eric.cartman
April 19, 2008, 10:00 PM
Well, I don't know if I should worry or not...
When I lived in NY, I purchased a rifle, and left it on my Father's upstate property (also in NY state). Now, my father normally lives in NJ, but he has a peace of land in NY; and me being a resident of NYC at the time, I couldn't bring it back into the city, so I left it there.
Since then, I left NYC for Florida. And I left the gun behind. I didn't give it to my Dad or anything. I just left it there. My Dad does have the keys to the trigger lock. And I know he and my brothers shot it when spending time in NY.

So, does that violate the whole giving a gun to someone from another state?
It is familly estate, so technically, I could claim I spend time there as well (which I do). Also, my dad resides in NJ, but pays property taxes in NY, and spends some time there as well. So is it legal for me to leave a .22 rifle in my Dad's custody while I'm not there?
What if someone was to steal that rifle? Could I or my Dad get in trouble? Can my Dad even use the rifle without me being there???

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Leaving a gun behind" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Winchester 73
April 19, 2008, 10:20 PM
This is the most complicated plot since Tom Jones(Henry Fielding,1749).ctdonath should have the answer.
Good luck eric.

eric.cartman
April 19, 2008, 10:26 PM
I mean, I don't think I broke any laws. I just left the gun in NY on my family property.

Please, somebody, tell me if I should take the gun to FL, or is it safe to leave it there.

p2000sk
April 19, 2008, 10:37 PM
The weapon is your property.
The land belongs to your dad.
There is a trigger lock.
You trust the guests of the land...

Morally it is your call.
Liabilty\legality?

RoadkingLarry
April 19, 2008, 11:00 PM
Serious question...Do people really get that uptight about that sort of thing?... I suggest chilling out. The only thing I would be worried about is if they clean and oil the gun after shooting it.
I mean really? Good gawd I'm glad I live in Oklahoma.

Winchester 73
April 19, 2008, 11:06 PM
Serious question...Do people really get that uptight about that sort of thing?...

Serious answer:Yes,Larry, if New York State is involved.
Thank God ,I live in Florida.

M203Sniper
April 19, 2008, 11:52 PM
You don't need to worry. It's a long gun? You're good. IF it were a handgun you're good as long as they don't transport it. (especially into NJ w/o a pistol permit) I'd leave well enough alone unless you want to shoot it in FL, make you're next trip a drive and toss it in the trunk.

If you enjoyed reading about "Leaving a gun behind" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!