Trade advice / Heckler & Koch


April 19, 2008, 11:47 PM
I have been trying to sell my grade B Heckler & Koch P7 PSP to no avail, so I've recently entertained trading it in for an H&K 45C. I really like the P2000, and the 45c has many of the same features and the ergonomics resemble the P2000. I have two Kimber 1911's and a West German Sig Sauer P220 (Sig never gets carried), but I've been looking for a durable, easy to maintain, compact .45 as my stomping around in the woods / take fishing gun. In short, I want something that is simple to keep and will work no matter what conditions I'm in, and it seems like the H&K 45c fits the bill nicely.

Should I do this? Yes, I know I will probably lose money by doing the trade (I bought it for $650) but I can't fall in love with the P7; it's just not for me. I can't see myself carrying it, and it's been sitting in the box for the better part of two months now. Instead of selling it, should I just trade it in and go with the 45c? Help! I can't decide!

I come to you, my THR friends, for advice. You're like Dear Abby, only gun related. :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Trade advice / Heckler & Koch" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Ghost Tracker
April 20, 2008, 12:10 AM
Buyer's Remorse always costs money. Cars, guns, wives...the item isn't the issue. It's the signing of the papers & taking-it-home. The question is, how deep is your remorse? In the example you've given, it shouldn't be "deeper" into your wallet than $50. If you can't get at LEAST $600 in trade for your P7, then just sit & hold for a while. It's value will NOT decline. If your need for this new HK 45C is more fierce, then your remorse is more serious than I first diagnosed. If that's the case, sell the P7 to a fellow THR member for $500 & forget you ever bought it. It's not a question of how much you'll lose, it's a question of how BADLY you want the HK 45C.

Dear Abby (aka Ghost Tracker)

April 20, 2008, 12:15 AM
Well said, Ghost Tracker. I appreciate your thoughts and well explained answer. I'd prefer to sell it, but the 45c has caught my eye in the last week. Just digesting it right now, but no firm commitment to it (yet).

April 20, 2008, 12:41 AM
It's a sunk cost. Fish or cut bait.

The Lone Haranguer
April 20, 2008, 12:57 AM
If you get more than half or a third of its worth in a trade you will be lucky. How badly do you want that new gun (for which there is no guarantee you would like it any better)? Call the ball.

April 20, 2008, 01:07 AM
There's just too many P7's on the market right now to get anywhere near what you paid for it. CDNN and TGS are selling Grade B's for almost a hundred bucks less than what you paid now, and you can find Grade A's for around that price.

That said, if you're willing to take a hit, try posting on Park Cities Tactical. You may end up getting more than you would at a local shop or through a trade+cash deal.

April 20, 2008, 10:24 AM
I agree with Vodka7.

Unfortunately for you, you picked a very poor time for trying to sell a PSP. There are litterally boatloads of surplus PSP's being imported right now and sold at the various big stores and internet sites. Because of that, the prices for PSP's have fallen significantly.

I bought one right before this tide came in and paid hansomly for it. I could have bought 2 or perhaps 3 for what I paid for my one (grrrrrr). But that's the market.

Now that may change in several months to years as the supply dries up. But can you wait that long and take that chance?

April 20, 2008, 10:40 AM
Trade up.

Don't look back.

April 20, 2008, 10:57 AM
If your willing to wait, theres always consignment. Trades usually only favor the dealer, and you'll be lucky to get half its worth. If you sell it on consignment, they usually take between 10-20%, depending on the place, and will try to get the most they can for it as they will make more off the sale. You usually will do much better. I've sold a lot of guns this way and always made out pretty good. Never had to wait to long either.

April 20, 2008, 11:10 AM
The money is already spent. Consider it a loss invested towards a gain. Do what makes you happy. In the end the money will not have mattered. Life is too short.

April 20, 2008, 11:37 AM
Man, if you were in CA, I might be interested...

The Lone Haranguer
April 20, 2008, 11:50 AM
I too have taken hits on trade value vs. selling outright on both guns and vehicles. In most cases I got something I liked better, so it was "worth it." (I have a better "track record" with vehicles than guns. ;))

April 20, 2008, 11:58 AM
buyers remorse, especially so with wives???? dont have to drive the car, don't have to shoot the gun. DO HAVE TO STILL PAY 1ST WIFE..

April 20, 2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. No, I'm not in a rush to get rid of it, but I was going to use the money if I sold it toward vacation. I have other money saved up, but thought it'd be something extra to have if someone who would appreciate it more than I do wanted it.

I know trades to dealers never work out, and I swore after my last one I'd never do it again. Impulse control! Need impulse control! :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Trade advice / Heckler & Koch" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!