Lee crimp dies vs Factory crimp dies

PDA

bebop4212000
April 20, 2008, 09:06 AM
I just bought a NIB Lee 4 hole turret press, 750 Speer 9mm bullets, 2 Lee crimp dies and a 3 die .38/.357 set for $80.00. I think I did good.

I have been gathering bits and pieces of equipment for months to start reloading.

I am not familiar with a taper crimp die vs a factory crimp die. What is the difference?:confused:

I bought a Bonanza 38/.357 3 die set and he through in a Lee taper crimp die #90781. Will they work together?

I also got a Lee 9mm taper crimp die #90780. Will this work with a Lee 9mm 3 die set or do I need to get the factory crimp die?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee crimp dies vs Factory crimp dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pumpkinheaver
April 20, 2008, 09:30 AM
I love the lee carbide crimp die when using jacketed bullets. I won't use it when loading case as it resizes the brass and therefor the bullet. I like my cast bullets .001-.002 inch over size and the lee carbide die at least the ones I have negates this.

SASS#23149
April 20, 2008, 10:25 AM
re: the Bonanza set..
I would use the seat/crimp die to just seat the bullet,and use the Lee die as step number 4. Makes adjusting seat and crimp a whole lot easier,and doesn't shave jacket material like you would by using jus 1 die for the 2 operations.
Same answer for the 'extra' 9mm crimp die.
the FCD dies that I have seen have a carbide sizer ring that is supposed to 'iron out' any 'problems' with the loaded round.May work,may not. I do know they require extra effort,and bounce my powder measure top off.:(
I think you can live without one but some folks love 'em.

armoredman
April 20, 2008, 10:30 AM
I use the FCD in all rounds. Even cast, where it really doesn't seem to cause any issues, for me, ( I am gonna try some without, thanks for the idea, Pumpkinheaver), but the FCD leaves a great roll crimp on 38, and a perfect taper crimp on my 9mm. The rifle ones work completely differantly, so don't buy one for .223 thinking it will do any resizing, 100% differant.

Uncle Chan
April 20, 2008, 10:33 AM
+1 what SASS #23419 said (incidentally, I'm #38654 :) ).

I use my Dillon for reloading my 45LC, but my Turret for all of my other pistol and rifle. I use Station 1 - Sizing/Depriming, 2- Charging and belling, 3 - Seating only, 4 - factory crimp.

For my 45LC, I use a roll crimp. For my rifle calibers (30-06, 223, 45-70), and these pistol calibers: 45 ACP, 9mm, etc. I use a taper crimp. Taper for FMJ for me.

Hope this helps.

U.C.

RustyFN
April 20, 2008, 11:34 AM
The FCD is a taper crimp die with a post sizing ring to iron out a case that is still out of spec. I use the FCD with all the calibers I load. If you have your dies set right you won't feel the round go in or out of the FCD but will still get a crimp. The key is to set up your dies right and not count on the FCD to fix problems. I have loaded thousands of rounds on my classic turret and only felt the post sizing ring come into play twice.
Rusty

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee crimp dies vs Factory crimp dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!