Member status

PDA

neviander
April 20, 2008, 03:14 PM
Are there only the "new member", "member" and "senior member" ranks for amount of posts the person has?

I'm fairly new here but, I was actually geeked when my status went from new member to member:)

I see guys with 4 or 5 hundred posts that are "senior members", then I see guys with thousands of posts that are also "senior members".

I think more of a distinction between uber postage and approaching stellar would be a good idea.

I don't know if military terms, such as "yeoman", or "corporal", or "general" would fly with the whole THR population; or jedi type terminology like "padowan" and "master", or maybe a mix. Whadya think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Member status" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
April 20, 2008, 03:59 PM
Welcome to THR.

I personally would prefer no post counts, or member status, just vB does not allow for this option so I am told.

I would also like for Staff to have an option to not have user names in bold, the reason being, when staff are interacting, often times they lose identity as being a regular human being.
Staff is "stereotyped" or "profiled" as being something other than a regular member when folks see bold user names.

The same psych applies to sites with various colors used, with or without bold or italics, to denote Admin, Staff, Mod, Dealer, or Contributor , and how much a member contributed to a forum.

Mission Statements are the reason for Fora, not ego building, or busting down other folk's ego, or at least it should be.
Applicable to Blogs, Websites and other Internet sites, again these should be about Mission Statements and common goals, and not about a person's ego and self.

Just my take...
Then again I always liked phones made from tin cans and using postage string for a phone line...

neviander
April 20, 2008, 05:39 PM
IMO, I wouldn't say it's about ego, but about tenure or seniority. I tend to lend a little more credence to the opinion of someone with 1000 posts than the person with 12. I guess I can see people posting multiple times JUST to get their rank up; thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Zak Smith
April 20, 2008, 06:42 PM
Just remember, posting a lot means only that you can type something and hit a button with your mouse.

Car Knocker
April 20, 2008, 07:25 PM
I tend to lend a little more credence to the opinion of someone with 1000 posts than the person with 12.
In my opinion, BIG mistake! For example: I have well over 3,000 posts. Massad Ayoob, also a member here, has a mere 200. At one time, he only had one post. To say that I should be given more credence than Mr. Ayoob in matters of, say self-defense shooting situations and tactics, because I have many more posts would be sheer folly! Re-read Zak Smith's post.

I personally would prefer no post counts, or member status, just vB does not allow for this option so I am told.
I'm not so sure about that, Steve. If staff can determine that posts in the Trading Post area or Technical Support don't count toward one's post count, why can't that same determination be made for the rest of the forum?

neviander
April 20, 2008, 08:46 PM
Ok, in my own defense, of course I wouldn't base my opinion of someone's experience and/or knowledge PURELY on their post count,Just remember, posting a lot means only that you can type something and hit a button with your mouse. BUT from what I've read so far on this forum, most of the people here maintain a level headed perspective of our gun culture and I'm sure that said people would run off any jerk, or anti, or political operative WAY before he hit the thousand mark (I'm just using 1000 as an example) even if he kept re-registering under different names.

Massad Ayoob, also a member here, has a mere 200
Massad is great, but I'm sure he's pretty busy with TV shows and conferences and what not.

TimboKhan
April 21, 2008, 05:01 AM
I have 3000+ posts, and I am an idiot about 93% of the time. If you happen to catch that inspired 7%, be careful about getting over-dazzled at my wit and wisdom.

If you enjoyed reading about "Member status" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!