Split Rifle Forums

PDA

armed85
April 21, 2008, 03:03 PM
I bet that this has been brought up before.

It seems as though there are a lot of threads on the AR-15, AK, and other such intermediate cartridge semiautomatic rifles. So much so that looking for threads regarding bolt action rifles is becoming a bit of a chore.

There are 3 handgun forums. 1 for semiautomatics, 1 for revolvers, and another general handgun forum.

It would be nice to have the same for rifles. At least one for semiautomatics and another for bolt action, lever action, and manually operated rifles.

If you enjoyed reading about "Split Rifle Forums" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
April 21, 2008, 04:04 PM
Poll closed. Polls have never been a swaying factor when changes to the board are requested. Comments on the pros and cons are better. "+1"'s will be deleted.

You have a valid idea, we're discussing it.

WayneConrad
April 21, 2008, 05:06 PM
Just some general, seat-of-the pants statistics: The rifle forum is getting about a page and a half of topics a day. Almost as many topics as the general forum.

I think the idea has merit, provided that each proposed subforum would each gather enough traffic to have some vitality and not just take up space on the forum list.

Navy joe
April 21, 2008, 06:43 PM
Nay. I'm sure there is something of worth in the handgun accessories sub-forum but I wouldn't know, it's like I don't even see it. I stopped with Glocktalk a few years back one because of the general silly crap that is tolerated there and two because it takes about all of my internet time to just read the board headers because there are so many forums! If I was going to do anythnig(like I really have that power here) I'd make legal viewable only to members like the FS fora are and make it invitation only like APS does.

rbernie
April 21, 2008, 09:51 PM
Frankly, I just as soon see the handgun forums merged. I really don't like having to navigate up-n-down thru six or eight forums to find interesting content.

About the only thing that the stratification does for me is compensate for the limited number of posts per page. (I'm currently set to 150 per page, but there's no way I'm getting that...)

mek42
April 21, 2008, 09:54 PM
If Rifle Country does get split up, how about a "rimfire" sub-forum?

Maybe instead of semi vs. other actions "service rifles," "rimfires" and then the general "rifle country"? Where "service rifles" is broad enough to include the range from historically authentic surplus pieces to the latest AR toys?

jfountain2
April 21, 2008, 09:57 PM
I don't see the point. When I am looking for something different I just look at the new posts, if I need specific info I do a search for it, if I want to talk about rifles I go to the 336 club, I mean we all know the marlin 336 leveraction rules... right?

TimboKhan
April 22, 2008, 01:10 AM
I can see the point when it comes to different rifle forums, and in fact have wanted a mil-surp forum for awhile myself, but it's a slippery slope as too many forums are a pain! Seriously, go over to bladeforums.com and you will see what I mean. THR is pretty streamlined, and I like that.

Personally, I could live with two rifle forums "Sporter" and "Tactical/Military", and leave the rest alone. You only add one more forum, which I don't think would clutter things up. Alternatively, you could add those two and change "Rifles" to "General Rifle Discussion" which would only add two forums, which again would be OK, and would be in keeping with the way the handgun forums are set up.

Speaking only for me, I would be against adding a rimfire forum. First, rimfire questions can be covered pretty easily in the general rifle forum and second, any serious rimfire fan probably just goes over to rimfirecentral.com. I know that we THR people have a unique perspective and are awesome, but rimfirecentral has more aggregate knowledge on rimfire's than would be possible for us to offer with our diverse membership interests. Plus, it seems to be a pretty well-run board that stays pretty High Road.

Or, you could just leave it alone. I can see the advantages to expanding the rifle forums a bit, but I also sort of like it just the way it is.

lmccrock
April 22, 2008, 11:38 AM
Pressing the scroll down button is not so bad so leaving it alone is my first choice.

I question the logic of "do not move xxx to another forum because xxx is better served at xxx.com" simply because most specialty topics are well answered at a specialty forum. What makes THR good is the mix.

If a "service" or "Tactical/Military" rifles are used for an application other than that, then where would I post them? The OP's suggestion of semi-auto and manual sub-forums would make sense, and be consistent with the handgun forums. Read "consistent" as "easy to use".

Lee

TimboKhan
April 22, 2008, 11:07 PM
Lee, you make excellent points, and I am fine with leaving things the way they are. To answer a your question, I think if you use a service rifle to hunt, you would still post it in service rifles. I mean, usage doesn't take away what it is, right? AR's, Mosins, Garands or whatever are still service rifles, even if they happen to be used as hunting arms...

WayneConrad
April 22, 2008, 11:55 PM
Any split should be by the least ambiguous criteria possible.

Forums based on morphology (bolt vs. semi) are clear.

Forums based on use (service vs. hunting, or sporter vs. milsurp vs. tactical/military) are fuzzy. For some rifles, I would never know where to post, or where to search.

Example: That Mosin has been sporterized. I want to put a red-dot scope on it. Is it a sporter, or a milsurp, or a tactical/military?

TimboKhan
April 23, 2008, 06:33 AM
I would say that since it began life as a service rifle, it should remain in service rifle land, sporterized or not.

But, then again, you are sort of making my/your point that additional forums aren't particularly necessary. Our rifle forum isn't perfect, but it is fine the way it is.

Harve Curry
April 23, 2008, 08:44 AM
I like it the way it is.

BigG
April 23, 2008, 09:00 AM
I pretty much like it how it is. Too many forums gets tejus. JMTC

Mal H
April 28, 2008, 02:24 AM
We have a consensus amongst the staff members, and it is pretty much the same as the majority here in this thread - a split of the forum isn't the way to go.

There would be many many threads posted in the wrong sub-forum - that's a guarantee (happens every single day in the handgun forums). Then they have to be moved or the reason for the split just became null and void.

No one could come up with a real problem with the current single forum. In other words, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

mgregg85
April 28, 2008, 07:11 PM
I would like to see the rifle country forum divided into three subgroups.

Tacti-cool
Mil-Surps
Sporter-Hunting

Seems most effective to me, kinda like how we now have Handguns general and then two sub categories for revolvers and autoloaders. Though I don't see the point of having a general handgun forum if you've already got the two subcategories.

jlbraun
April 28, 2008, 07:17 PM
Here's my opinion:

Despite the fact that "Rifles" gets a lot of content a day, I like the fact that it's not split up into "Tactical" and "Sporter" - because to do so would imply that there is a division between "sporting" use and "tactical" use where none exists.

The AWB passed because users of "sporting" rifles said "That there group of other people that I don't care about is going to lose their guns. BFD, I don't care." Keeping "Rifles" unified implies a similar unity among users of rifles.

Same with shotguns, I'm glad there isn't a split.

Handguns, personally I think that the autoloaders and wheelgunner forums should be combined for the same reason I said above.

Don't split the forums, because to do so splits users of "sporter" rifles from users of "tactical" rifles, and both need each other. If it's inconvenient for you to find content that interests you, use the search button.

redneck2
April 28, 2008, 07:37 PM
I used to go to a couple of different forums. Quit all others due to the endless array of headers you had to go thru. In some, it just seemed like they were looking for an excuse to add more. Gets wearysome real quick.

As to the military/tactical versus sporter, I have a Bushie AR Varminter.

Mal H
April 28, 2008, 08:02 PM
(Thinking to myself ...)
Hmmm ... I wonder if anyone actually read my post above?

Robert Hairless
April 29, 2008, 02:40 AM
(Thinking to myself ...)
Hmmm ... I wonder if anyone actually read my post above?

So is that a "yes"? :)

Mal H
April 29, 2008, 02:55 AM
Yes, as a matter of fact, it is. Our plan is to implement the split of the Rifle forum at the same time we add politics back to the Legal forum. No need to take the system down twice, so we'll do them both at that time.

Wait for it.

;)

Robert Hairless
April 29, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hot diggety dog! It's like being granted immortality: "You should live so long." :)

sm
April 29, 2008, 09:06 PM
Mal H wrote:
We have a consensus amongst the staff members, and it is pretty much the same as the majority here in this thread - a split of the forum isn't the way to go.

Good.

rbernie wrote:
Frankly, I just as soon see the handgun forums merged. I really don't like having to navigate up-n-down thru six or eight forums to find interesting content.

Agree.

My position remains as it has for a long time on adding sub forums - NO!

Line extensions only attribute to the demise of good product lines.

THR actually has too many sub forums as it is now.
I feel the number of sub-forums need to be lessened, lest the demise of the Mission Statement of THR gets to a state where it is too late to for THR to be truly effective.

a. Leave Rifle as is.
b. Consolidate Handguns
c. Get rid of Activism
Legal can handle those postings.
I personally might read these, I refuse to post in either.
d. For Sale/ Buy/ Trade needs to be consolidated as well.
I would furthermore implement a min number of posts, before someone could post in these - unless Staff approves, and they have been spoken for by one our members that knows them.

For starters...

*pulls rope- tightens knot*

Thernlund
April 29, 2008, 09:13 PM
I never thought of THR as a democracy. That said, my vote is...

Do whatever you do. I use the "New Posts" link like 98% of the time anyway. The forum splits mean just about nothing to me. I'm a non-partisan reader/contributor. ;)

-T.

sm
April 29, 2008, 09:27 PM
I never thought of THR as a democracy. That said, my vote is...

We ain't...a Republic instead.

Folks post in Public technical matters to Oleg , Derek, Admins and Mods.

Replies are then posted.

That makes THR a Republic.

*see*

Trebor
April 30, 2008, 02:33 AM
I'm glad you aren't going to split "rifles."

Now, what about recombining the three separate "Handgun" forums?

I just don't see the point, personally.

Mal H
April 30, 2008, 01:02 PM
We have no plans to change the current lineup with more or less forums.

If you enjoyed reading about "Split Rifle Forums" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!