Taurus pump-action .22 - good, bad or indifferent?

PDA

Owlnmole
April 22, 2008, 12:27 PM
I've had my eye on those Taurus pump .22s for a while. Anyone have one, and have any feedback to share? I see that the .22 WMR models seem to have been discontinued.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus pump-action .22 - good, bad or indifferent?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SASS#23149
April 22, 2008, 12:37 PM
I bought 2 of them years ago,and they were horrible looking on the inside compared to being nicely done on the outside.
Lots of machining marks and gunk left over,etc.
However that was years ago,they may have improved a lot since then.
If it's a take down..prett sure it is...take it down and peek inside.I would not mind being proven wrong on this.

Billy_H
April 22, 2008, 01:38 PM
We have one that my wife got from her father when she was younger. It's a fun little rifle to shoot and always seems to be a hit when we bring it out.

rcmodel
April 22, 2008, 01:40 PM
They ain't no 06 or 62A Winchester.
That's for sure!

rcmodel

Kman
April 22, 2008, 02:05 PM
Nope, definately not a winchester, but can be fun for sure. The older models from Rossi, no silly top mounted safety, are the guns to look for, and they even made some stainless. I have never shot the newer ones {I think Rossi is probably still making them for taurus} but the older model I had worked fine.

JT'sDad
April 23, 2008, 12:16 PM
I am looking for a Taurus Model 72 Carbine in 22mag. I have shot the model 62 carbine and they are a fun little plinking rifle.

VirgilCaine
April 23, 2008, 12:25 PM
I bought 2 of them years ago,and they were horrible looking on the inside compared to being nicely done on the outside.
Lots of machining marks and gunk left over,etc.

So, did this impact the performance or maintenance of the rifle?

mainmech48
April 23, 2008, 12:44 PM
I own two older pre-silly safety M-62 rifles. They're the top picks when my young nephews and I go to the club. One is made to use S, L & LR and the other just LRs. Both function perfectly and are quite accurate to boot.

They may be " no '06 or 62A, but when was the last time you saw one of those for less than $200? The quality of workmanship on mine is way beyond what one might expect for the price and they've slicked-up very sweetly with use. In several K rds through each not one part has broken or shows any unusual wear.

Several cuts above any of the Chinese Browning and Remington knock-offs I've seen in quality of materials and finish.

For a fun or working .22 they're hard to beat, IMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus pump-action .22 - good, bad or indifferent?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!