Real Names

PDA

davidconatser
April 22, 2008, 01:48 PM
Since we are all on The High Road, it would seem to be appropriate to use our real names.

We should not write anything we would not want our friends and families to read. This is a public forum and we want to present ourselves in the best possible light to the world. Especially those who favor restricting our rights.

10-8 Forums http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php requires everyone to register with their real name and provide some authentication to the moderators.

It seems like a good idea to me. What would be the downside?

What is the consensus?

Would members be less likely to read and post if real names were used?

Would a poll be appropriate?

If you enjoyed reading about "Real Names" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Winchester 73
April 22, 2008, 01:53 PM
David,if I used my real name I would have been fired from my job long ago!
Actually, many on this forum do use their actual names.
It's a matter of personal choice,IMO.

ATF_Lurker
April 22, 2008, 01:54 PM
Real names would make my job a lot easier.

springmom
April 22, 2008, 01:54 PM
A couple of years back, a (thankfully) friend of mine online on another gun forum gave me a cheap and quick education. He took my profile info and name, read my blog which mentioned (at the time) my husband's first name. He knew mine because we'd corresponded somewhat. The education: with that little bit, he emailed me my full name, address, and phone number. He said he could have driven right up to my house and I'd have never known.

As I had had some very ugly comments made to me about that time, this just about scared the piddle out of me.

Lots of folks here do use their own names. Some do because their work/business is gun related and they want people here to become customers, and vice versa. Mas Ayoob does it because...well, he's Mas. I do not, because I do not want people who think I'm a flaming whatever to end up at my front door. Others here have had threats made to them as well.

People don't have to give their real names for you to judge their character, I think. Besides, if I called myself some "real sounding" name, you still wouldn't REALLY know if it was MY name anyway, would you?

Springmom

xjchief
April 22, 2008, 01:56 PM
Why not post your picture and a map to your house as well? It will make you a whole lot easier to find.

archigos
April 22, 2008, 01:57 PM
What many forums offer is an option to enter your real name and even have it display with your posts in place of your user name.
I'd probably use this option if it were available here.

Dick1911
April 22, 2008, 01:59 PM
I don't think of it as an issue one way or the other. I would use my full name if required.

I'm guessing from reading the posts that having to use a real name wouldn't have stopped anyone from posting what they did - it seems like a pretty open crowd to me who is willing to speak their mind. (except maybe a few of the zombie crowd :evil:)

It looks as if a lot of the people here on THR know each other quite well even if they're only known by their user names.

Fedaykin
April 22, 2008, 02:01 PM
I don't think I'd have too much of a problem with it. I don't usually post anything I'd need a hidden identity for. However, just due to the nature of the internet most people are very paranoid making their real identity known, especially since a lot of us have our locations listed as well.

Actually I just thought of something. Say someone used their real info and then got into legal trouble. Perhaps a justified self-defense shooting. Something that could end with you on the stand with a lot at stake and your character in question. Could a record of forum postings from a place like THR be used for/against you?

IMO most of our postings would put us in good light in a situation like that, but the way words can be twisted, I don't think I'd want one of our "what would i do if I was in that situation" topics (or something along those lines) available to a prosecutor who is trying to question my character.

Technosavant
April 22, 2008, 02:01 PM
Anonymity on the internet, however thin the veil, is valuable. There are those out there who will spin our words in the worst way, and can even target our possessions or our very selves. It has indeed happened on another firearm forum I frequent.

If you will be civil in anonymity, you will be civil without it. If you won't be civil in anonymity, you won't be civil without it. I have seen a remarkable level of animosity on some firearms boards where a real (not anonymous, like Yahoo or Gmail) email address is required for registration.

Linking things to a live person does not automatically result in a kindler, gentler forum.

Kindrox
April 22, 2008, 02:02 PM
If you are ok with everybody you know and everybody who knows you knowing all the events and thoughts of your life, then using your real name is not a problem.

However sometimes in life it is best if not everyone who knows you, knows some/any/all of the personal details of your life including what is posted here.

I don't mind if someone on this board figgures out who I am in real life, but if someone does a google search for "John Doe" I don't want my THR posts coming up. In fact I don't want anything coming up.

redneckrepairs
April 22, 2008, 02:03 PM
ince we are all on The High Road, it would seem to be appropriate to use our real names.

Not to me , I dont know you , never met you , and i have no desire to . You dont know me and if i want you to i will be glad to entertain pm's or email to visit . Just because i read/post on an internet forum is in no way any invitation into my life beyond the information that i post . You are also free to disregard any of my posts or any one elses for that matter . Its the internet , not a coffee club whereby everyone is introduced to everyone else .

WayneConrad
April 22, 2008, 02:06 PM
If it's the government you're worried about, a nick alone doesn't do much to conceal your identity.

I try to say only things my mother, my lawyer, my friends and my conscience would approve of.

Kindrox
April 22, 2008, 02:11 PM
Actually I just thought of something. Say someone used their real info and then got into legal trouble. Perhaps a justified self-defense shooting. Something that could end with you on the stand with a lot at stake and your character in question. Could a record of forum postings from a place like THR be used for/against you?

YES YES AND YES!

And don't think the opposing lawyer won't pull the 5 "damming" sentences out of context to leave you looking like a jerk.

Macpherson
April 22, 2008, 02:14 PM
As springmom said, I don't really think there is much to be gained by requiring real names on this board, and a lot to lose. Identity theft is a major problem, (it's happened to me), and I dont feel like putting my real name up on a board that can be crawled by millions of people worldwide in seconds. Its not just a matter of privacy, from a security standpoint, if there isn't a compelling reason to do so, you should always err on the side of being safe. It's fine that some individuals use their real names, that's their decision to make, but I will not post on any public board that required real names.

MakAttak
April 22, 2008, 02:16 PM
I don't use my real name as I know what people are able to do with access to someone's real name and (general) location.

However, I make a point never to say anything on this site (or anywhere online) that I would not say in person or in public. In fact, because of the fact I tend to read things over before I post, I tend to censor myself so that I am even more restrained on this site than I would be in person.

Anonymity does not give me the sense that I can make a fool of myself.

Ed Wagner
April 22, 2008, 02:16 PM
I always use my real name on the sites I use. I have nothing to hide,don't fear people coming to my door, don't fear the government, or the opions of others. I am a VietNam vet, & former LEO. If anyone online or in person has an issue with me we can resolve it in whatever manner it takes.
Ed Wagner

Kindrox
April 22, 2008, 02:17 PM

ATF, my name is John Q Doe.

Thanks!

JD

blackcash88
April 22, 2008, 02:17 PM
Anonymity on the internet, however thin the veil, is valuable. There are those out there who will spin our words in the worst way, and can even target our possessions or our very selves. It has indeed happened on another firearm forum I frequent.

Do tell!

As for real names? I'm gonna have to give a big fat NO on that one. See quote above for example.

dewage83
April 22, 2008, 02:20 PM
i cant say i would mind too much but i would limit my discussion of home defense set ups and not say what guns i owned.
i would have to have to part ways with any of them.

TCB in TN
April 22, 2008, 02:22 PM
My online name is known to many here locally as I am on several different forums under it, and in most cases one or more individuals there know me and it is not a secret. That said I have no desire to have my name, address, phone, and other info along with my opinions, what gun discussions I have or what specific guns I own posted for everyone in the US to see. I don't say things that I am ashamed to take credit for, but then again that base level of anonymity is not a bad thing.

AndyC
April 22, 2008, 02:24 PM
What would you do with the information anyway? Why would you need to know someone's real name on here? Sorry, I don't see any gain.

davidconatser
April 22, 2008, 02:24 PM
I have to admit, there are some funny names.

I particularly like ATF Lurker. It reminds us.

AndrewGWU
April 22, 2008, 02:29 PM
My name is Rusty, Rusty Shackleford

(King of the Hill reference)

Mr White
April 22, 2008, 02:34 PM
I don't know you, or anyone else here for that matter. I don't know what kind of person you are or what your reasons are for being here. Not too many people in my town know what or how many guns I have. Why would I shout it out to thousands of people I've never met before?

Claude Clay
April 22, 2008, 02:36 PM
sybil
for the moment,i'm pretty sure ......

CWL
April 22, 2008, 02:36 PM
I have responsibilities in my life that does not need to know what I do in my leisure time.

I reside in CA and own Black Guns legally purchased before the Ban.

I often post about my collection and sometimes their value.

Why do you need to know who I am?

USMC 1975
April 22, 2008, 02:40 PM
I always sign my posts with my real first name.
In regards to my last name...wont ever happen.

My last name is so unusual that the last I knew only 45 of us existed in the entire country. I am way to easy to find. :)

Chris

JCMAG
April 22, 2008, 02:40 PM

:D:D:D:D

Bring it on, agent!

sybil

Are you hanging from a cage in Cumae...?

ZeSpectre
April 22, 2008, 02:41 PM
Let's see, although I try very hard to stay high road and keep my debates on an even and logical keel, several of my opinions are in direct contradiction to the "groupthink" where I work.

At work I labor against that groupthink almost continuiously but I have to maintain a certain amount of restraint and diplomacy.

Here on THR I can just voice opinion and ask questions without that restraint.

Now odds are nobody would even try to search my name but I'm not willing to bet my job on it when my full opinion would be more medicine than the groupthinkers could swallow.

Additionally when I think about the number of low road PM's I've gotten (usually from passing summer break and spring break trolls who then fade back into the woodwork) I think to myself... why make it easy for them to be hateful.

Hokkmike
I belong to a forum where we do, and it works out well. The only problem is that everything you say is kept forever in writing on the internet for anybody to see and use as they please.

lee n. field
What is the consensus?

I'd just as soon not.

Why make it easy for them?

ronwill
April 22, 2008, 02:45 PM
What I say here, and on other sites, is the same thing I say in person to those I speak to. This includes any discussion I may get in at the local pub.

JesseL
April 22, 2008, 02:48 PM
I'm fine if people want to use their real names (I use my first name and last initial), but forcing the issue is something I would oppose. It really smacks of the old "why would you need privacy if you have nothing to hide?" fallacy.

41magsnub
April 22, 2008, 02:49 PM
John Smith here!

A public Internet forum is not the place to put out personal info like that. Example, somebody wants to steal some guns. They know where I am because I foolishly put my city and state in my deal here. If I put my name down anybody with an Internet connection could have a google map of my house inside of 5 minutes.

blackcash88
April 22, 2008, 02:50 PM
Sofaking Weetoddid here!

Treo
April 22, 2008, 02:54 PM
I think spring mom hit it, there's a security issue (although I probably wouldn't be too hard to find).

I worked W/ troubled teens when I first started posting here, one of them told me once about some guy she'd never met walking up to her in a supermarket in Alamosa Co. the first words out of his mouth were " You're so and so from "myspace" aren't you?"

She posted no pictures & no information as to where she lived.
lesson learned.

MakAttak
April 22, 2008, 02:56 PM
Also,

Although I won't give my name, I'll gladly hand out my address:

123 Fake Street
Springfield...

Hokkmike
April 22, 2008, 03:02 PM
123 Fake Street
Springfield...

Neighbor!

Grizzly Adams
I use a nickname for logon only. My sign has my real name. I post nothing that I am ashamed of or that I don't want others to know.

ATF Lurker said:

You have my name other places already. Why should I worry about you seeing it here?

Biker
Up north I'm known as "Buzzard". West of these parts I'm known as "Doc".

Down south I'm known as "Alias".

I believe in keepin' myself to myself for various reasons, all of which I believe to be valid.

Biker

jfountain2
April 22, 2008, 03:05 PM
I agree with all that say it's a bad idea to have information like that on a public forum. Most people would freak out at the amount of information avalible to the average person on the net.

MakAttak
April 22, 2008, 03:08 PM
Down south I'm known as "Alias".

Somehow I doubt you're Jennifer Garner...

Seancass
April 22, 2008, 03:09 PM
Have any of you ever googled your name??? your boss probably has. would he approve of everything you've ever written? would he/she appreciate the sarcasm of what you write?

you should google yourself and see how long it takes to find everything there is to know about you.

learn2shoot
April 22, 2008, 03:11 PM
A simply web search would allow anyone to find my real name.

MakAttak
April 22, 2008, 03:14 PM
Have any of you ever googled your name??? your boss probably has. would he approve of everything you've ever written? would he/she appreciate the sarcasm of what you write?

you should google yourself and see how long it takes to find everything there is to know about you.

I just did. It wasn't until page two that I found something that was actually about me and it wouldn't say much...

hso
April 22, 2008, 03:20 PM
it would seem to be appropriate to use our real names

If you consider that many of the folks that help run the place use "handles" instead of their real names it's obvious that the volunteers at THR don't think so.

It doesn't matter what people call themselves one way or the other. What matters is how they conduct themselves. That's why THR has a strong personal conduct policy that is enforced instead of insisting on factually accurate names.

Besides, I've been known as hso for nearly a long time and there's not much point of confusing everyone.

Jdude
April 22, 2008, 03:31 PM
I am John Wayne.

davidconatser
April 22, 2008, 03:39 PM
Good points. And interesting diversity of practices and reasons.

The wisdom of having options becomes more apparent.

Thanks moderators for a great site.

kingpin008
April 22, 2008, 03:40 PM
123 Fake Street
Springfield...

Hey waitaminute, that's MY address!

That explains why my clothes were too small and my wife looked different!

*for the record, she's a helluva cook!* :neener:

blackcash88
April 22, 2008, 03:49 PM
I am Beowulf!

shdwfx
April 22, 2008, 03:52 PM
In exposing our real identities, there is little to gain, but a lot to lose.

bowl443
April 22, 2008, 04:02 PM
They call me Patches O'Houlihan.

zxcvbob
April 22, 2008, 04:10 PM
I have used the same stupid pseudonym on multiple forums on various unrelated topics for years. Online, "zxcvbob" is my real name and anyone can cross-reference what I've written, and that's a good thing -- it provides context.

I pretty much keep my Real Life identity separate, and where the two meet I keep things vague.

Treo
April 22, 2008, 04:26 PM
I just googled my full name address & place of birth, all that came back was some ancester that died in 1695 . Kinda like to keep it that way

Buzztail
April 22, 2008, 04:27 PM
Currently Active Users: 1773 (403 members and 1370 guests)

This may be reason enough for most of us

I'm Buzztail;)

Geronimo45
April 22, 2008, 04:30 PM
Wouldn't help me, I don't think anybody else would gain anything by it. I'm not some uber-tactical 00 agent, African warlord, mob boss, or SF member. I'm nobody.

bikerdoc
April 22, 2008, 04:49 PM
been known as ; doc, greydog, sarge,
bocepheus, six, and cajun and dont admit to my birth middle name
no real names

RNB65
April 22, 2008, 04:59 PM
My real name is Zaphod Beeblebrox. I'm also President of the Galaxy. But don't tell anyone. I'd like to keep it a secret.
-

sm
April 22, 2008, 05:01 PM
I am a member of some forums and other setting were my background and credentials have been checked.
I do not use my real name on these forums or settings either.

I have not/ do no always use my real ID in some business matters in real life either.
Never have, not even as a wee brat was my real name , ID, and other information made known , except to those trusted, entrusted in keeping me safe , even as a baby.

Just my life, how raised, what raised into and legit business I am familiar with.
Legit business, that has been conducted forever.

Before I was born in the mid 50's, folks were keeping matters private, and I was mentored and raised to do this as well.
I do not have the concerns other folks have - in like turn, folks do not have the concerns I have.

How raised- what you do.

bikerdoc
April 22, 2008, 05:56 PM
I thought the president of the Galaxy was tondelayo Notriyteinthehead from the plane upsydasium?

blackcash88
April 22, 2008, 06:06 PM
All your base are belong to us!

I am Zero Wing!

xjchief
April 22, 2008, 07:47 PM

I guess that makes me White Goodman. :D What a great flick!

WhiteGoodman
April 22, 2008, 07:51 PM
Quote:
I guess that makes me White Goodman. What a great flick!

;)

McCall911
April 22, 2008, 09:27 PM
Well, I always insist on kids calling me Mr. 9-1-1.
It's an old respect-for-elders type thing.

:D

TimboKhan
April 22, 2008, 10:05 PM
Quite honestly, Timbokhan is one of my gamer names (along with Battalion, Rifle and War Chief) and is as much a part of my identity as Tim Marquart is. As evidenced, I don't care if anyone knows my real name, but my online identity and my regular identity are something I like to keep seperate, though I won't say something in one that I won't say in the other.

ArfinGreebly
April 22, 2008, 11:45 PM
My "handle" is borrowed from my late uncle, whose pen name it was.

It's more of an homage than an attempt to disguise.

I try never to say anything in public that would shame his memory, or that of my family.

My real name is out there, certainly, but for the sake of consistency, I've moved pretty much all my later work to the pen name.

There are plenty of guys out there with my real name. Some of them are doctors, some are writers, one is a professor, another is an actor, and one of them is a criminal in Canada.

On the other hand, there is exactly one person writing under the pseudonym I've chosen.

Arfin Greebly is always me.

Accept no substitutes.

mgregg85
April 23, 2008, 12:19 AM
My user name has always been my first initial "m", then my last name "Gregg" and my year of birth "85". It was one of the combo choices AOL gave me when I started using AOL 2.0 so long ago. Never stopped using it, easier to remember all my user names/passwords if they are all the same name at least.

PTK
April 23, 2008, 03:57 AM
I googled many variations of my name (not the name here "PTK", but my real name) and not once did I come up. I don't show up in phone books, either. Online, I simply don't exist, and that's the way I enjoy it.

And yet, the BATFE knows who I am, where I am, etc., due to my 03FFL and NFA items. Go figure.

LaEscopeta
April 23, 2008, 11:02 AM
Have any of you ever googled your name??? your boss probably has.I googled my real name. Turns out Iím a bishop, collage professor (department head), lawyer, rock group manager, business man profiled in Forbes magazine, and I install the finest kitchen cabinets in the tri-state area. If my boss googles my name and finds out how multi talented and qualified I am, Iím asking for a raise.

buzz_knox
April 23, 2008, 11:12 AM
My real name is known to many, including those who have a real need for it. It's accessible to anyone willing to run a google search on my nickname and spend some time.

Those who will present themselves in the best light will do so regardless of whether they post under their real name or not. Those who can't present themselves in the best light probably shouldn't be posting, period.

The Tourist
April 23, 2008, 11:23 AM
I must admit, I do like the idea of privacy and the anonymity, even if that just makes me feel better.

However, I've always said that a shrewd guy could find me in ten minutes if he tried. Heck, the cops in my little burg know my truck and my bike and they know where I am 24/7.

I think what we are actually discussing is "unknown danger" by some sinister force from behind the keyboard. And I'll admit, I might have ticked off a lot of sloppy debaters over my short stint playing with computers.

(sigh) In the long run, I still have to gig the attacker whether I meet him on the street or over the internet.

BTW, there is a parallel issue here. In one of the knife forums someone took issue with me saying that I couldn't possibly work in finance, be a biker and own my own company due to the way I write. And I'll admit, there are a lot of chairborne rangers who fake their credentials on the computer.

Again, if you feel that way, come to Captial City Harley and Buell on any Saturday. You'll find me eating free hotdogs with the rest of the motley crew and you can question who I am all you want.

Mal H
April 23, 2008, 01:22 PM
There's not much need for further discussion on this matter. We aren't going to be requiring real names at THR. Those who wish to use their real name are welcome to do so, those who don't are just as welcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Real Names" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!