Starter air gun?

PDA

telomerase
August 14, 2003, 11:24 PM
What's a good starter air gun for 8-12 year olds nowadays? I had a Daisy when I was 8 that never wore out, but I'd prefer a pellet gun (BBs ricochet). Also the Daisys in WalMart today don't look very durable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Starter air gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
redneck
August 14, 2003, 11:36 PM
I'd suggest looking at Gamo's lineup. They have a model called the delta thats got a black synthetic stock, easy pull break barrel action and shoots a pellet at like 500 fps. Good size for the little ones. Pretty nifty fiber optic sights, and ability to attach a scope if I remember right.
Saw one at gander mountain.

They also list a multi shot, springer (break barrel) thats in the 700fps range, and closer to a full size. Looked pretty neat, has a roatary magazine built into the breech. Think it had the fiber optic sights and dovetail groove too.

I have a Gamo 220 hunter. Its 1000fps springer, and has a cocking effort advertised at something like 40 lbs (the other 2 guns I liested are much lighter) Way too tough for a little kid, in fact alot of adults I've let try it had a lot of trouble loading it till they had done it a few times to get the hang of it. Its a great shooter, is very simple and reliable. ACCURATE too. If I'm having a good day, I can do dime sized groups at 10 yards, free hand and open sights with it. Its not their top of the line gun either, its actually the economy model of thier higher power offerings. I wouldn't hesitate to try one of the more youth oriented models like the ones I mentioned. I think it would be just about perfect.

TIMC
August 15, 2003, 07:05 PM
I can also vouge for the 220 hunter. I have one and it shoots very well in the 20 to 25 yard range with 1/2" to 1" groups. I took a rabbit in the back yard the other day at 25 yards,1 shot instant kill. Price is decent too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Starter air gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!