Anyone not like the plr-16?

PDA

Mooseman
April 23, 2008, 11:00 PM
I've wanted one of these guns for awhile and with our next president they may become difficult or impossible to purchase. So I figure I might as well get one while I can. I'll use it pretty much as a range toy. anyone have some negatives about them? All I've heard is good stuff, thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone not like the plr-16?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M2 Carbine
April 23, 2008, 11:58 PM
anyone have some negatives about them?

Yes, it's difficult to reload ammo fast emough for it.:D

davepool
April 24, 2008, 12:11 AM
They are REALLY loud...oh, wait that's not a negative... umm...let me see...damn, can't think of anything.I put a Bushnell 2-6x scope on mine and the accuracy from the 9" barrel is surprizing. M2, i bought a Dillon XL650 just to reload for my ARs and PLR16

Revolver Ocelot
April 24, 2008, 01:25 AM
imho they're not the prettiest out of the box :scrutiny: but on the plus side (aside from it being reliable and fun to shoot) you can add so many different accessories its ridiculous :D

Lobotomy Boy
April 25, 2008, 03:57 PM
Mine is a little crude--typical Kel-Tec product. It also needs to be clean and well-oiled. After about 300-400 rounds (which doesn't take all that long to go through), it needs to be cleaned or it becomes a jamamatic. At least with 30-round magazines. Even when it's dirty, it works flawlessly with the Kel-Tec 10-round magazine.

That said, I don't like my PLR-16; I love my PLR-16. I keep it clean and it would be one of the first guns I'd grab if the S hit the F.

jakeswensonmt
April 25, 2008, 08:03 PM
Anyone not like the plr-16?
I don't like the fact that I don't have one yet!

Moonclip
April 25, 2008, 09:30 PM
I don't like the fact they are unavailable in my state! I have little use for such a gun but still it would be fun.

Mooseman
April 25, 2008, 10:48 PM
My local gun shop is going to order me one on Monday. I already plunked down the down payment, now just have to cross my fingers and hope that one of his suppliers has one in stock. When we got home I showed my wife some youtube videos of it, her expression was priceless.:evil:

gpr
April 26, 2008, 12:00 AM
i think that it would be great as an affordable 22 .....oh, yes, maybe next month.....:D...gpr

Janos Dracwlya
April 26, 2008, 03:28 PM
Is there any way to make them less loud? Just thinking that they would make a good HD weapon, but I wouldn't want to end up with serious hearing loss after a HD shooting.

Lobotomy Boy
April 27, 2008, 07:10 PM
A supressor would screw on--the barrel is threaded. The legality might be a problem.

MCgunner
April 27, 2008, 07:31 PM
I can't figure out what it's good for other than just a fun range gun. I guess it'd make a good car/truck gun if you had a cubby hole you could hide it in, though. :D Just kinda doesn't interest me, that's all. I have NOT heard negatives as to its function.

FLORIDA KEVIN
April 27, 2008, 07:41 PM
The only thing wrong is I dont have one yet ! I think I would be way ahead of the other mall ninjas when I get one !

Seriously I really do want one ! kevin

PTK
April 27, 2008, 08:42 PM
A supressor would screw on--the barrel is threaded. The legality might be a problem.

That's obviously a legal matter, but the other issue is barrel length - only one manufacturer guarantees their .223 silencer on the PPLR-16's 9" barrel.

Mooseman
April 27, 2008, 09:05 PM
on the suppressor side note, there's a youtube vid of one of these suppressed.
Sorry I don't have a link

PTK
April 27, 2008, 09:11 PM
Search "Tac 16""PLR 16" and you'll find it. Problem is, if a bullet doesn't stabilize and messes up that silencer, the owner pays for repairs as it is clearly out of the warantee parameters.

Shootcraps
April 27, 2008, 09:24 PM
There is nothing to not like about it. EVERY time I take it to the range all of the lanes empty because they're all watching me. What is that? What does it shoot? How can I get one??

It's shweet.

davepool
April 27, 2008, 09:51 PM
Same reaction i get, it's always "*** is that", "damn thats loud" "what caliber is it" " how much are they". Although i wouldn't choose it to hunt with, i did kill a coyote that wandered too close the our camp ground last year

Shootcraps
April 27, 2008, 09:56 PM
I just put a YHM Phantom suppressor on it and can't wait to see what a difference it makes.

M2 Carbine
April 27, 2008, 10:22 PM
Last week I stripped one of my PLRs down to bare bones again. Even took off the Red Dot sight and Kel Tec muzzle brake.
I kind of like shooting the stripped light weight gun.

You know how when you are going to do something wrong but you do it anyhow?
To shoot a group with the iron sights I rested the gun across my plastic range box. I thought the muzzle would be clear of the box.

It was for about 5 shots. Then I shot with the gun back too far and the muzzle blast blew out the top of the box.:D

Oh well that box was old anyhow.:)

kd7nqb
April 27, 2008, 11:35 PM
I have not shot one but it seems like its an all fun gun, I cant quite figure out to hold it. But if I were find one in my safe one day I would take it to the range.

rallyhound
April 28, 2008, 12:08 AM
I love mine, almost.
I shoot left handed and the darn thing likes to bounce the empties right off my glasses.
I even shot 10 rounds once and all of the ejected shells landed in my right shirt pocket.

-v-
April 28, 2008, 12:43 AM
I can't seem to find an IWB holster for a PLR-16, that and it might be a tad hard to CCW during the summer while wearing shorts :p.

xmountain
September 25, 2008, 08:03 PM
That's obviously a legal matter, but the other issue is barrel length - only one manufacturer guarantees their .223 silencer on the PPLR-16's 9" barrel.

Which manufacturer would that be?

DAdams
September 25, 2008, 08:44 PM
Presidential race being so close I guess I should get one just in case Barry is elected. You KNOW just by looking at this it would be made illegal. :D
I would probably forgo this sight in favor of an EOTec for close range work.
I simply could not believe how incredibly loud the sucker was at an indoor range. :what:
And they make fun of the accuracy of my Mini-14. :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/kel_plr_wacc.jpg
Photo credit to someone else

Dan-O
September 25, 2008, 10:25 PM
I don't like the fact that the adapter to accept collapsable stocks are currently unavailable from Kel Tec. Other than that, it's great.

Shootcraps
September 25, 2008, 11:36 PM
If you put a collapsible stock on the PLR-16 that would make it a SBR, wouldn't it??

Stevie-Ray
September 27, 2008, 05:07 PM
I even shot 10 rounds once and all of the ejected shells landed in my right shirt pocket.Well, that's convenient. I gotta get mine to do that; beats picking up empties.:D

I still need a good laser for mine.

Dan-O
September 28, 2008, 10:08 AM
Shootcraps,

you are correct. Gotta pay the gov. and register it etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone not like the plr-16?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!