Operation Torch

PDA

MagnumDweeb
April 24, 2008, 02:30 PM
Okay so I just saw this, cops with fully automatic weapons walking the streets of New York city as a part of 'Anti-Terrorist' teams. <scratches head>. Not to compare greatly to England that has in some parts with police officers patrolling the streets with full auto weapons, why are cops patrolling on foot with level three body armor and MP5s and M4s. Now I realize they are suppose to be part of 'anti-terrorist' teams but wouldn't most terrorist situations we seem to face provide a greater danger of explosives or chemical agents than roving gangs of armed gunman. I'm just saying wouldn't it make more sense to have covert plain clothed agents or officers patrolling and looking out for potential terrorist situations.

Now yes the whole(or significant portion) of the anti-terrorist justification might be to keep crime down in a city plagued with crime and legislative imposed RKBA violations. In England as I understand it there are cops with decked-out body armor and full autos walking the streets in their civil liberties limited(infringed) paradise where it's suppose to be safer because RKBA has been all but erased, I draw some similarities.

My main contentions are, if there is a risk of terrorist activity wouldn't it then be smarter to use covert means to combat it with precision rather than impotent and predictable brute force. The whole rationale that heavily armed cops on the streets willl prevent terrorism just doesn't seem to hold up to me when there are far more effective and intelligent means available, yes I realize we need stop looking the government for intelligence but...come on just admit you are sending out those cops to combat crime either by action or subtle deterrence to potential criminals. But yet again it's yankee country and what is smart and rationale has no reason for being.

If you enjoyed reading about "Operation Torch" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thorn726
April 24, 2008, 03:26 PM
i thought about the same thing.

nuts crash planes into the towers, so now we have five cops, one of them with an m16 outside ground zero. gee that'll stop 'em!

its more of a plan to keep citizens feeling "safe and afraid"

the only thing i see really coming of this is something similar to the electrical worker shot dead in England for having wires in his jacket.
Somebody in the wrong place at wrong time taking 20 bullets.

TallPine
April 24, 2008, 04:09 PM
They're just trying to get us used to the idea :uhoh:

308win
April 24, 2008, 04:19 PM
This has always been a paradox to me - we are supposed to be the country with the untamed "cowboy mentality" yet it is all of the old country 'civilized' societies who have heavily armed and equipped paramilitary police units in highly visible, daily, routine patrol postures. Who exactly has their panties in more of a wad over their security and safety; it doesn't seem to be us cowboys. Why is that - hmmmmmm?

Robert Hairless
April 24, 2008, 04:22 PM
I think it's an interim measure until Mayor Bloomberg and the other mayors in his coalition file civil suits against the terrorists. Or the mayors might just raise the cost of their business licenses or have their vehicles towed. They have ways.

Ergosphere
April 24, 2008, 04:38 PM
308win -- it's "civilized" when they have weapons and you don't. :rolleyes: See my sig.

Chipperman
April 24, 2008, 04:52 PM
It is more important to FEEL safe than to actually BE safe.

retgarr
April 24, 2008, 04:57 PM
If only they had .50BMG rifles then they could vainly attempt to shoot down an object moving at 300mph that is bigger than any WWII bomber that was ever shot down by hundreds of rounds of .50BMG and be able to tell the ictims families "well, at least we tried something"

If you enjoyed reading about "Operation Torch" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!