Opinions are like...

PDA

jimmyraythomason
April 25, 2008, 02:11 PM
I joined THR in December of 2006. I enjoy reading a lot of the posts (some more than others). The one biggest thing I have learned here is don't ask anyone's opinion of ,you name it, brand/model firearm or ammo. This will only foster confusion. No matter what you ask about, someone will say it is a big POS while someone else will claim it is the best thing since sliced bread. My own experience has determined what I buy and shoot. I will still read the opinions but as far as asking advice...well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions are like..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sniper X
April 25, 2008, 02:15 PM
I don't blame you. In my opinion, I have yet to find a gun I wouldn't like to own. I love all guns. The only ones I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting are the ultra low quality ones like the Jennings or other seemingly pot metal wonders that ALL break. Other then those, I can usually find good in any gun and have personally never posted a hate thread or commentary to any gun post.

Funderb
April 25, 2008, 02:17 PM
My opinions are the best, and always the most accurate, when provided.
always listen to me.:evil:

Oh, by the way, sniper X, I have a jennings that works fine, even after 1000.
:p

dewage83
April 25, 2008, 02:19 PM
Opinions are like....
you said it best... I also agree with that whole-heartedly

NGIB
April 25, 2008, 02:38 PM
If someone asks for an opinion of I gun I actually own and shoot (own is important as range guns don't count), I'll try to share what I know.

The folks that jump in completely off topic and push one brand or another, or call something junk, don't add much in my view. I avoid threads with "best" and "versus" in the title as well as most polls...

Picknlittle
April 25, 2008, 02:41 PM
Well,...I know a lot about a little, ....a little about a lot,..and what I don't know, I have have an opinion on,...and you're welcomed to it!

bogie
April 25, 2008, 02:41 PM
Well, in Texas, opinions are bigger and tougher.

Flopsy
April 25, 2008, 03:06 PM
....are like firearms, everybody has one and everybody thinks theirs is the best. :)

dewage83
April 25, 2008, 03:19 PM
....are like firearms, everybody has one and everybody thinks theirs is the best.

+1 perfect

Pat-inCO
April 25, 2008, 03:38 PM
You forgot to mention one other item on opinions: Many opinions, from others, are worth just what you paid for them.

I must agree that the total inconsistency on any given subject is, or can be, quite funny. The only problem with that is some people are asking their question from less than total knowledge and that leaves them wondering just "what the ........?" (I'll let you finish the thought). :D

I also agree that it would be more helpful if those posting were speaking from personal experience rather than "I heard.....".

That's the nice part about opinions, every one has one, and some are quite good.

Biker
April 25, 2008, 03:45 PM
Aaaaannnnd...the number one rule in a gunfight?:

Use enough balls.

Biker;)

Bazooka Joe71
April 25, 2008, 03:50 PM
Jimmy, I totally agree with you, but there is an exception to every rule:

CZ (75B in particular). Everyone has the same opinion.

McCall911
April 25, 2008, 03:52 PM
Sometimes, if you talk to ten people here, you will get eleven different opinions. :D

But you'll find that some opinions here are as good as gold and given freely. (I haven't been widely known for such opinions, but some others have. ;) )

MIL-DOT
April 25, 2008, 03:56 PM
To paraphrase George Orwell, " some opions are more equal than others". If i come on here and say Leupold makes the best scopes, based on the ONE that I own, that clearly has limited value. But if one of the forum gurus, that has been shooting since before i was born, and has used and owned Schmidt & Benders,Swarovski,Kahles, Zeiss,Nikon,Leupold,etc. then comes on here and gives his views on them, you can't just dimiss that with a blanket statement,"well, opinions are like *******'s, everybody has one, and they all stink",( that's the entire expression).
Also, some things are called "opinion" that are NOT opinion, but would more accurately be termed "talking out of ones ass". If i say i think Strawberry ice cream tastes better than vanilla, that's my opinion, and that's fair enough. But if were to declare strawberry ice cream is the very best,superior to all other ice creams, i'm no longer stateing an "opinion", but making statements about subjective issues that can't be proven or disproven,and i would be just another idiot blowing sunshine.

El Tejon
April 25, 2008, 04:12 PM
The subjective is objective in the gun culture.:D

Thernlund
April 25, 2008, 04:16 PM
I love hearing others opinions and being involved in the debate that arises. Good stuff, and very often it's a learning experience in some fashion.

That said, I think for myself. I'm open to new ideas, but I generally don't change my mind without some strong reason behind doing so.

-T.

glockman19
April 25, 2008, 04:43 PM
What actually led me to THR is looking for opinion.

So...

Just take it for what it's worth, gather as much info from as many sources as you can and make your own decision.

And...

I want to thank everyone who has shared their opinion. It is great to be able to come together and share pros vs. cons of all types of firearms. It has certianly helped me decide what to buy and what to add in the future to my collection.

romma
April 25, 2008, 05:24 PM
This thread needs more cowbell.... That's what I say! ;)

Steve N
April 25, 2008, 06:27 PM
Opinions are like *********s. Everyone has one, and most of them stink.

Copyright by me, do not use without payment and permission.

JCMAG
April 25, 2008, 06:33 PM
I get some pretty good information from these opinions here.

That said, when there is a stiff divide and everyone is disagreeing with one another, it's time to either do some independent research or just assume its a coin flip.

Now, the people seeking opinions might better serve the community at large if they asked more detailed, specific questions, and if they thought long and hard about the suitability of most firearms as being totally subject to personal preference.

Overall, there are a lot of fine, knowledgeable gents roaming these boards, and I often enjoy and value their insights.

Especially my own :D

*Disclaimer: JCMAG doesn't actually know anything.

Bartkowski
April 25, 2008, 06:34 PM
....are like firearms, everybody has one and everybody thinks theirs is the best.

But mine are the best.;)

Geronimo45
April 25, 2008, 07:07 PM
But mine are the best.
Only if loaded with EXTREME SHOCK ammunition.

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/
:p

gbran
April 25, 2008, 07:14 PM
When I ask an opinion or need anecdotal info on a particular gun, I really want to hear stories about cracked frames, FTF's, kabooms, accuracy problems, lockups, etc. I want to wade thru the totality of responses to see if there is a trend toward certain problems. Threads with lots of responses can give you a pretty good sense about a topic (unless it's a caliber thread).

Sir Aardvark
April 25, 2008, 09:03 PM
The one biggest thing I have learned here is don't ask anyone's opinion...

Actually, I couldn't disagree with you more.

This is a Forum, so you've gotta expect people to give their opinions, I mean, that's pretty much a given - and as far as forums go, THR is really quite tame - go check out GlockTalk if you don't know what I mean.

I find it quite easy to separate out the bunk from the good stuff here, and there are lots of people who frequent this forum who's opinions I value due to their experience and knowledge on all things related to firearms.

I would be hard pressed to list all of the knowledge I have gained since frequenting this forum.

So... if there happens to be a little bit of "entertainment" thrown in while you peruse the opinions of those who post here, just consider it as the price you gotta pay.

Lupinus
April 25, 2008, 09:36 PM
Naturally, it is inevitable that no matter what you asked, and how much you laid out it's the only option/s.

Someone will undoubtedly tell you there is another option and it's better. Again, regardless if you have already ruled it out.

Pat-inCO
April 26, 2008, 02:18 AM
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" -- Patton :D

jimmyraythomason
April 26, 2008, 02:29 AM
It is too bad that a lot of opinion (and represented as fact) is often just parroting what some "expert" has said somewhere else. Some examples would be(1) Ruger Mini14 and 30s are inaccurate,(2) Wd-40 will gum up gun actions (3)if you buy a Taurus ,Rossi, Charter Arms you are buying junk,(4) if you choose to update anything about YOUR OWN mil-surp, you have commited a sacrilege. (5)any such update or modification to a mil-surp is a "Bubbafication". These are just some of my favorites that I see on THR regularly. Every one is false,old wives tale, or a matter of personal taste. I will read posts containing opinion but I will note it as opinion and make my own determination of the subject. I do enjoy THR or I would not be here! Thanks for the responses.

qajaq59
April 26, 2008, 06:53 AM
The trouble with opinions is that's exactly what they are. However if you're looking for facts..... Well, then you'll have to ask a different question.

mnrivrat
April 26, 2008, 07:39 AM
You can't judge the forrest when all that is in your vision is the bark of one tree ! My opinion :D

Rico567
April 26, 2008, 09:26 AM
Daniel Patrick Moynihan, RIP, who may well be the last Democrat who might have been President and also a statesman, once said something to the effect that "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." This, I think, is most applicable to the OP in this thread.

Mr White
April 26, 2008, 10:14 AM
I don't rely on anyone's opinions exclusively but have learned over time here who's opinions to take with a grain of salt and who's to take more seriously.

That's a valuable skill to have throughout one's life: knowing who to believe.

macadore
April 26, 2008, 10:52 AM
If I tell you something you can believe me because I never lie and Iím always right.

Firesign Theater

Neo-Luddite
April 26, 2008, 11:11 AM
Opinions are like...

the lint you remove from the screen on the clothes dryer; mostly a bother at best to deal with on a small scale, when accumulated into a large mass, becoming truly onerous and rather flamable.

The thing here on THR is that many people *do* know what the heck they are talking about--I'm not one of them.

Mr White
April 26, 2008, 11:46 AM
If I tell you something you can believe me because I never lie and I’m always right.

Firesign Theater
Quoting Firesign Theater gives you gives you countless cred points in my book!

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions are like..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!