The best or "luckiest" shot you've ever made

PDA

sonny
January 12, 2003, 06:21 PM
I remember this thread from another forum (might have been tfl)
and it was alot of good reading.
Anyone want to start it off?

If you enjoyed reading about "The best or "luckiest" shot you've ever made" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dan Morris
January 12, 2003, 06:48 PM
Many moons ago, while deer hunting on a lease in Texas, had a loudmouth uncle with me..........we jumped a bunch of turkey.
Dropped to my butt and got into a tight sling.....as any 20 year old rookie, took aim and triggered a shot.Very casually, told uncle I was going after my turkey....about 125yd off......hat hit it in neck with rifle...what he didn;t see...other side of bush.....I put crosshairs on a wad of black....5-6 turkeys.....and shot.
From his side of bush, he thought I picked one and shot!
He's told that story for about 40 years....why mess it up with truth.
Dan
\:D

benewton
January 12, 2003, 06:58 PM
Out with friends, .45 MKIV, series '70 in a standard military web belt/holster, not tied down, roughly '78 ish or so....

Got challanged, pulled said weapon, and hit a car wheel, not a tire combo, at about 60 yards, with a single shot within about 2 seconds.

Weapon, safed to holster, with no grin: simply the expected result of firing same.

RIGHT!!!

sanchezero
January 12, 2003, 07:08 PM
when I was about 15-16 I had a marlin lever action .44 :) .

I shot a buzzard with it so far away I almost couldn't see it. It was flying :D .

Missed the first shot; second one, you could see it change shape as it fell.

DrDremel
January 12, 2003, 07:10 PM
I shot an arrow in two while it was in flight with a 1911. I drew and he shot the arrow. I hit it as it passed me and it fell in two pieces. I never tried again as I was afraid I might not be able to do it twice.

thisaway
January 12, 2003, 07:45 PM
I split a playing card in two on edge at 25 yards with my T/C .50-cal. muzzleloader 8 or 10 years ago. Still have the card, but ashamedly, I didn't write the date on it.

Jesse H
January 12, 2003, 07:50 PM
Hit a fly on the ground, about 4 feet away, no sights, with a squirt gun. :cool:

bpisler
January 12, 2003, 07:51 PM
I nailed a large rabbit in the head many years ago in alaska.I was using a remington 742,30-06 with a scope amd ball ammo.I shot offhand at 125 long paces,it sure tasted good at dinner time.

cuchulainn
January 12, 2003, 08:02 PM
Lucky shot: I was in my basement practicing billards by myself. I shot long to knock a ball into the corner pocket. Through some freak of physics, upon hitting my target ball and knocking it in, the cue ball popped up on the bumper and rolled to the other corner, fell down and gently tapped in another ball.

True story, though I wish I had a witness to verify it.

Oh, luckest gun shot ;)

Ed Brunner
January 12, 2003, 08:02 PM
Not my shot, but a friend was on a college ROTC rifle team. During a practice he exclaimed"There's a fly on my target". Gnarly old NCOIC said "You have a rifle". So he shot the fly. Had the target signed etc. Not a bad shot at 50feet with open sights.

stellarpod
January 12, 2003, 08:03 PM
Once several years ago, I was giving my son some safety training with a 1911 at the local indoor range. He was about 12 years old. I was illustrating the proper method of clearing the firearm. I wanted to emphasize the point that simply dropping the magazine does not guarantee that the weapon is empty.

I dropped the magazine and said, "the guns empty, right?".

"Yes", he responded.

No sooner did he say "yes", but I turned sideways and fired the pistol downrange offhand - a quick side shot without aiming or really even looking downrange. When I turned to look at the target, which was about 20 feet away, I had nailed it absolutely dead center bull.

His eyes got about as big as half-dollars as he said, "MAN! Your good!" :what:

I just smiled... :cool:

I couldn't do that again in a million years... :D

stellarpod

rbrowning
January 12, 2003, 08:30 PM
I was at the range with my brothers, dad and son. As always the competition was friendly but at times intense. My younger brother and I were using our 22 LR rifles to bounce a 2 liter bottle around the bank behing the 100 yard targets. The bottle got stuck in a rut and we could not get it to bounce out. I quietly laid down my rifle and picked up my 44 Super Redhawk and shot. My intent was to surprise my brother with the increased muzzle blast. But I was the one that was most shocked when I hit the bottle. We were both laughing so hard we couldn't see and had to quit for a while.

Gewehr98
January 12, 2003, 08:33 PM
Still have the trophy:

http://mauser98.com/theball.jpg

standingbear
January 12, 2003, 09:01 PM
shot a groundhog setting up in a beanfield.it was a awys off,i guesstamated it about 275 yards.i took the shot anyways.dialed it in with the scope to get a clear focus and sent 1 .223 50 grain v-max bullet out.i figured i missed as it went back down and dissappeared.walked out there to see where the entrance was and there it was.hit it right next to the ear,it still had a mouthful of bean leaves.

4v50 Gary
January 12, 2003, 09:14 PM
Used a BB gun at about 75 yards distance. Threw my window open at which caused the pigeons to take flight. Raised the BB gun (Crossman 760) to my shoulder and "snap" shot at one. Puff of white feathers & he went down into a lightwell. I couldn't get to that lightwell to confirm a kill.

Bob Locke
January 12, 2003, 09:47 PM
Shot a squirrel through the head at about 50 yards (he was also about 30 feet up a tree) with an old Remington SpeedMaster. He fell, bounced off a couple of limbs, and my dad (I was about 13 at the time) took off running like I had just nicked him and knocked him from the tree. When he got to the base of the tree I hollered for him to stop and look down. :D

I come by it honestly, though. Dad was recruited for USMC sniper program when they restarted it during Nam. He turned them down, but he could always shoot circles around me or anyone esle.

Waitone
January 12, 2003, 10:36 PM
Shooting from the hip with a pellet gun I knocked down a robin innocently flying across my back yard. Will never, ever happen again.

Atticus
January 12, 2003, 10:41 PM
This was pure luck. A friend and I were standing next to his truck, when a crow flew past and settled in a tree about 400 yards from us. We were on a small ridge, so this was actually below us. I asked to borrow his .222. The wind was blowing right to left, so I aimed a few inches above and to the right of the crow. I pulled the trigger, and about 5 seconds later the crow fell from the tree. We couldn't find an entry wound on the bird; so either it hit him just hard enough to kill him, or he died a very timely natural death.

Hypnogator
January 12, 2003, 11:50 PM
A long, l-o-n-g time ago, I was impressing some college friends with the power of my .45 Gov't Model over my buddy's .38 Spl Ruger. His .38 would knock over bricks -- the .45 would break them. Then, just to show off, I threw a brick into the air, drew, broke it in half with the first shot, then pulverized both halves before they hit the ground! Everyone was in awe of my shooting ability -- especially me! Couldn't do it again in a million years!

PATH
January 12, 2003, 11:56 PM
At 100 yards I put a .22LR from a Ruger 10/22 through the center of a dime/ I used a 4x scope. You talk about a lucky shot!:what:

Coltdriver
January 13, 2003, 12:14 AM
I had to take an abbrieviated course to satisfy the North Carolina CCW license law. There were only two of us in the class.

At the end of the classroom training you had to shoot a target to show the instructor you could shoot.

He set up a target at 25 feet. I had a Kimber which I easily nailed the bullseye with.

But the other fellow was having a hell of a time hitting the target. He got it on the target a couple of times. He was shooting, IIRC, a kel tec. Very small light .380 or .32 with the longest hardest dao trigger you ever tried.

The instructor asked me to take a shot with the little gun.

I gripped the heck out of it and very slowly pulled that long nasty trigger. Nailed the bulls eye smack dab in the middle. I was more surprised that either of them:D

Another more recent shot that really surprised me happened when dialing in a fairly new Savage .17 rifle. I reset the scope to 50 yards and found I could pick out a one inch square, nail it and then shoot a second shot into the same square. Every time I tried it the second shot touched the first. That is mostly rifle I am sure but it is heck on squirrels:D

TexasVet
January 13, 2003, 02:41 AM
Back in the late 70's I was black powder season hunting deer with my BIL in Mississippi. As we were going into a new area, game warden stopped us to check licenses. He made a comment about "not being able to hit anything with those old guns" and I pulled a target out of my bag. He tacked it to a tree about 150 yards away and came back and said "Hit that!". I loaded my Hawken, swung it up and fired "on the downroll" as it dropped into the paper. BIL ran down and brought back a target with the X ring shot EXACTLY out in the center. GW jaw hit the floor. I, of course, acted like that was an easy shot. After he left, BIL asked"How the heck did you do that?". I still don't know. I had never fired the gun over 75 yards before.

Other shot was at buddies ranch in Central Texas. We were spotlighting armadillos from my jeep. (Dillers on ranches are BAD. Cattle break their legs in their holes.) We saw one near the edge of a pasture with wild brush beyond the fence. Drove over, 'diller started running, we jump out JUST as he hits the fence and goes into the brush. Knowing he was running in a perfect straight line away from me, I raised the .38 Super about a foot over where he went in and cracked one off. Silence, then a bunch of thrashing then silence. Buddy looked at me, "Tell me you could still see him"
and then said" Do that again." Could NEVER happen.

TheeBadOne
January 13, 2003, 06:32 AM
Ask for bragging stories you'll get no shortage, anywhere :D

1) Jumped a covey of Roughed Grouse and took all 5 on the wing with a Rem 870 LW 20 ga.

2) Walking down a game trail with a buddy, same 20 ga LW on my shoulder. A Roughed Grouse swung across the trail at a 90 degree angle flat out (spooked by something else). I responded so quick; a] the swing and shot were blinding b] took 10 min to find where the bird fell in the leaves it was so quick.

3) To make a long story short. I took a Roughed Grouse (yes, I like grouse) at an honest to god 60+ft right through the head with a S&W 645 .45 ACP with 230 gr Federal Hydra-shoks. This was captured on video by my brother.

4) After a hike through knee to chest deep snow (up and down hills) I finished off a wounded deer I tracked for and old hunter. Head shot off hand w/scoped 30-06 at 70 yards with chest heaving. That shot anchored what was a very difficult track and ended the worry of losing a wounded animal. The hunter had hit a tree 1st and the bullet went in low on a profile shot with out much power.

--------------

Now that said, here's what I'm not proud of.

1) Young foolish person who shot a Raven out of the sky with a scoped 30-06. Bird was so high the person watched it fall for a long time, long enough to regret the shot.

2) Young hunter who saw a bedded down deer (actually just the head, yes head, not neck, not body). Hunter was standing up and placed the crosshairs between the eyes at 75+ yards in deep snow, offhand. Bullet struck exactly there, deer taken. If that same hunter had that shot now, he wouldn't take it as it's too much of a low percentage shot with a greater chance of a wounded animal.

Snowdog
January 13, 2003, 08:46 AM
MkII Ruger, circa 25 yards.

To prove to a buddy that the MKII was as accurate as one would need for a plinker, I fired five rounds at a 2x2 scrap piece of wood around 75 feet away in rapid succession freehand.

What I was expecting:

3 or more hits, hopefully close together.

What actually happened:

Five bullet holes in the exact "5" pattern on dice, almost in perfect uniformity.

Once inspected, I told him that it was exacty what I meant to do. Not sure if I was joking or serious, my friend looked rather amazed.
I didn't offer to clarify until much later. :D

It was all for not though, he bought a Buckmark instead.

Snowdog
January 13, 2003, 08:51 AM
Double post.

Stetson_CO
January 13, 2003, 08:55 AM
Luckiest shot...

Plinking out in the Nat'l Forest with a bunch of friends. We had been shooting aluminium cans and, naturally, they were all laying down. I used the infamous line "Ya'll watch this!", quickdrew my .45LC Vaquero, fired from the hip and hit one of the cans' bottom right where it touched the ground and the can stood back up. :D

None of us have been able to do it again.

c):{

foghornl
January 13, 2003, 09:37 AM
About 25 years back, I was un-employed. Out hunting to fill the freezer. I had the 20 Ga Remington for squirrel, rabbit, etc, and I had my 1858 Army Rem BP .44 revolver. I looked up the hill, about 75 Yds away, and saw a deer standing. Quietly put down the shotgun, and drew the 44. Estimated the range, brought up the muzzle, added a bit more since shooting uphill, and squeezed one off. Deer fell, and I walked up the hill....didn't see the deer, couldn't find a blood trail...looking, looking, looking....I know this is the right spot, 'cause there is that old sogn nailed to the tree....looking, looking tripped over something, fell face first. Got up and looked back..had hit a spike buck just behind/below the ear, and he never had moved.

WhoKnowsWho
January 13, 2003, 10:16 AM
The first time I had fired a real gun, all I had fired before were Airsoft and BB guns. I was handed a Sig P220, great gun, .45 ACP, and the targets were cans 20-25 yards away. 8 shots later, seven of seven cans were hit and no one had anymore to shoot at, they were all staring at the new shooter out-shooting them all. :)

modifiedbrowning
January 13, 2003, 10:56 AM
Was messing around with some friends, they had set up a watermelon on a tree stump at 250yds for the rifles. I started shooting at it with my Walther P88 and actually hit the thing! I was surprised to say the least.

45King
January 13, 2003, 11:41 AM
Two lucky shots, one with pistol, one with a shotgun.

With a Smith M25-5 .45 Colt, took the head, clean, off a lark sitting on a telephone wire at about 30 yds.

With a Fox/Sterlingworth 20 ga. SxS, was out hunting squirrels in the woods. I came to a small clearing in the woods about 15 yds or so, with no overhead growth. As I approached the midpoint of the clearing, I saw a dove passing overhead. One handed, I whipped my shotgun straight up into the air, butt on my hip, and fired the right barrel wihout even looking up. I then spun around, and the dove crashed down, stone dead, right at the edge of the clearing.

45King
January 13, 2003, 11:43 AM
Deleted.

AmericanFreeBird
January 13, 2003, 11:57 AM
When I was a kid, out in the woods with my Daisey 880 pump BB/Pellet/Dart gun, I saw a Blue Jay, fairly large, and it had to be all of 100 yards away in the top of a 50 foot or taller tree. Using a BB and 11 pumps, iron sites. I think the holdover had to be about 2 feet or more, not to mention BBs don't travel that straight either. There was no way I could hit that bird.

But I did, blasted him right out of the tree!

Lucky shot.
:what:

bluecowdawg
January 13, 2003, 01:01 PM
I went skeet shooting with my brother-in-law one time i carried a Glenfield .22 with me just to do some plinking when we ran out of shotgun shells. Well we ran out and i told him to pull another clay out and let it fly,he did and i nailed it with the .22.As if that wasnt a lucky enough shot he said i couldnt do it again, but i did it 3 more times in a row before i missed:D

2nd Amendment
January 13, 2003, 01:30 PM
When I was very young I had a Daisy Model 1894. I packed that thing everywhere, shot blackbirds and spatseys off the chicken coop fence, perforated targets all day long. But my real fun came in the evenings when I went Cicada hunting. I'd locate them by sound, home in on them and then pop them off the tree limbs, sometimes 50, 60 feet up.

Oh, did I mention that the front sight fell off right after I got it and I did this by just eyeballing the end of the barrel? :D I miss that old BB gun, no idea what eventually happened to it after I got married. Funny thing is that in an antique shop the other day I noticed an old BB gun in the corner. Daisy 1894. Missing front site. Familar crack in the top of the receiver. I wonder...nah, couldn't be.

Plan-B
January 14, 2003, 02:31 PM
Here are a couple stories late to the game...

About 10 years ago I was fooling with my brand new air gun shooting out the window of my bedroom at targets in my backyard. I saw a robin land on the back fence and thought "what the hell." Honestly I didn't think I could hit it (range was about 30-35 yards) and I was new to shooting anything in addition to being a pretty poor shot. Gave the thing the maximum of 10 pumps, took aim 2-handed (it was a handgun) and fired. Next thing I know the bird sticks its right wing straight out and keeled over the far side of the fence.

I was shooting with my cousin at an indoor range and he handed me his scoped 10/22. I put up a Shoot-N-C exploding target and moved it to about 20 feet, which is about where I shoot pistols. He prodded me and had me move the target all the way to the backstop. Probably about 100 feet now. I had to check twice with the naked eye and twice through the scope before bringing the target back after that first shot. Turns out I had taken out the "zero" in the number "10." I was sure glad I had a witness for that one. What's funnier is that after I emptied his 25 round mag I put up a new target for him. He proceeds to take one shot and bring back the target as well. The both of us had a pretty good laugh because he took out the "one" in the number "10" on his target with his first shot.

redneck
January 14, 2003, 09:55 PM
Constantly tryin to get rid of the sparrows roostin in the barn. Keep a gamo 220 hunter (.177) handy in the tack room, and take a .22 with ratshot out on occasion too.

Shot a sparrow from about 40 yards with open sights with the gamo, offhand. It had flown out of the barn and landed in the arena. I was very surprised when I got the tell tale POOF from the little super H pellet smacking it at 1000fps :) Usually get them from around 10 yards. Didn't think the gun was all that accurate out to 40 yards but I played around with it afterwards and was surprised. Ended up and took a crow from about 45 yards with it, had to knock him over with it twice to kill him.

Using the .22 with ratshot, I killed 2 sparrows with one shot once :D. The way that crap patterns I consider it very lucky to even hit one:rolleyes:

coonan357
January 14, 2003, 10:08 PM
clay pigoen with a rossi Mdl 92 in .357 while in flight , got everyones attention including mine , won't even try it again . :eek:

Carbon_15
January 14, 2003, 10:25 PM
I was out at the range with a friend, sighting in a new-to-me Ruger 77/22 w/ a Tasco 40mm 8x24 scope. After spending a few minutes getting it zeroed and figuring out the trajectories, we got bored with paper targets. We started plinking at the usual range debre lying on the 75 and 100 yard berm...broken peices of clay targets, chunks of wood, shotgun waddings, small rocks, etc. I was amazed at how accurate my new toy was even though I was unfarmiliar with it and it was wearing cheap glass. My buddy thought I was showing off, but I was amazed myself at how easily you could make a quarter sized scrap of clay pidgeon disapear. To put an end to my glee, he set up a line of empty .38 shells on the 150 yard berm. 5 out of 6 went flying with 6 shots. We found one...luckily it was the one with the perfectly centered hole. He shut up for the day:evil:

CWL
January 14, 2003, 10:37 PM
Shot a poker chip outta the air with a borrowed 1911.

'Bout 15+ years ago, was shootin' with some buddies, one guy had a .45, I think it was a Colt Govt. Anyways, he said it wasn't that good of a shooter and I wanted to try it out. He found a poker chip on the ground and and said something like "Here! Hit this!" and flung it downrange about 15-20 yards into the air.

I instinctively pointed and shot the pistol, and amazingly blew the chip out of the air.

This was pure luck and had nothing to do with any skill I have. I kept my mouth shut and everyone was in awe. -Good thing there weren't anymore poker chips lying around. ;)

Carbon_15
January 14, 2003, 10:38 PM
Not the worlds record or anything, but I was proud of it. It was the first, and last shot I fired for the day...off hand from a stock Glock 20 using Winchester 175gr Silvertips. I couldn't have placed it more perfectly from 10 yards. To be completly honest I was just aiming COM (to be brutaly honest, the front sight covered the whole front half of the target), but it kinda gives new meaning to 'Glock Perfection'

12.7x99mm
January 15, 2003, 12:41 AM
I shoot clay pigions laying on there side at 360-380 yards. Downhill about a 20 degree decline.

Rem 700pss with a springfield 6x20

bad_dad_brad
January 15, 2003, 12:47 AM
This was once a popular post on TFL.

I hit a crow at 50 yards perched on a telephone poll with a Sheridan Blue Streak .20 cal. pellet rifle at eight pumps with factory iron sights. He flew, cawed, and at about 20 yards, dropped like a stone. For the record, I think this was a lucky shot, once in a lifetime! Cool though.

Preacherman
January 15, 2003, 02:15 AM
Not the "best", but the "luckiest"? You bet!!!

I was walking through a township in South Africa in the aftermath of some pretty serious mob violence. I was there as part of a team helping the victims of violence, but of course, having the wrong skin color for that area immediately set me up as a "target" for the BG's there. One of them ran up behind me and stuck a knife in my back: it chipped the edge of one vertebra, and just missed a kidney. I'm pretty lucky to have survived it without major/permanent injury, according to the doctors.

I'd heard him coming, and arched my back forward as the knife went in, while I was reaching for my pistol, holstered IWB at 4 o'clock. I didn't waste time trying to draw, but fired backwards through the holster as the gun (a CZ-75) was only half-drawn. The bullet (a handloaded 88gr. Speer JHP, originally designed for the .380 Auto, but moving at 1,500 fps out of a 9mm. P. cartridge with a handload of MP200 powder) went through the holster, out the back of my pants (leaving a heck of a flash-burn on my butt! :D ) and struck the attacker square on his left testicle. The bullet disintegrated on impact, but removed the testicle very thoroughly, with bullet fragments entering his thigh, hip and bladder. He screamed like a stuck pig, and folded up on himself. Best stopping shot I've ever made!

The cops eventually got an ambulance in to us, and we both went to hospital. It took me a few weeks to get over the knife wound, but he developed severe infection from his ruptured bladder, and was still in hospital last time I checked, two months later. Apparently bullet fragments had also affected his right testicle and penis, and there was uncertainty as to whether or not he'd ever be fully "functional" again. You will understand that this was the least of my concerns!

I changed my load after that... I'd been impressed by what the high-speed 88gr. bullet did to wet phone books and gallon jugs full of water, but hadn't considered that it might blow up on human flesh without penetrating deeply enough. I was just extremely lucky that on the one occasion I needed it, it hit something so painful that its poor terminal performance didn't make any difference to the outcome. I went back to the designed-for-caliber 115gr. JHP bullets, and was grateful to have learned an important lesson. However, the flash-burn on my butt still showed red after several months... I had to come up with some pretty creative explanations for a couple of GF's! (I hasten to add I wasn't a pastor at the time, or even interested in becoming one. That took a few more years to develop.)

J Miller
January 15, 2003, 03:03 AM
I was out shooting with some friends who were trying to shoot a limb off a tree. They were using Mini 14s IIRC and I had a S&W 25-2. They both emptyed their rifles and couldn't shoot this branch off.
It was about 50 feet and the branch, what was left of it, was about 1" thick.
I smarted off that they needed bigger bullets. I said I could do it with the .45.
They challenged me to put my money where my mouth was. So I used a two handed hold, fired one shot and the branch fell to the ground.
As I stood grinning at my lucky shot, my friend commented that he would never hear the end of it.

Carbon_15
January 15, 2003, 08:53 AM
A few years back I was sitting around the hunting club after the morning hunt watching an elderly gentleman shoot bumblebees out of the air with a 3in S&W 29. After about his 12th shot and 12th confirmed kill, he had gathered a pretty good crowd. Oblivious to the group of amazed onlookers, he continued to relax in his favorite rockingchair, and casualy, one handed, pick off bees as they hovered around the nearby late-blooming azalea bush. It was several weeks (and several enthusiastic tellings of the crusty 'ol marksman with his deadly .44) before my Uncle let me on that he was using ratshot:o

KMKeller
January 15, 2003, 11:46 AM
When I was a wee lad of about 10 years old, there was an older kid who lived across the alley who tormented me constantly. One fine Saturday afternoon, I was in the back yard devastating my army men with my Daisy BB gun when this little so and so shoots me with a sling shot (wrist rocket if I remember) and it HURT. I hid behind the fence for a few moments nursing a growing welt and decided to make a break for the house. No sooner did I get clear of the fence than I get nailed in the back with his second shot. I ducked back to the fence and sat there trying to figure a way out of this. I realized after a few minutes that I could see him through the gap between the boards of my fence and a combination of the gap between the boards of his fence and a knothole. *BLING* The light pops on.

I lined up my shot and the first shot went between the boards on both fences and nailed his thigh. He yelled and moved. Second shot-same result, third shot-same result, fourth shot through the knothole to hit him in the arm. This went on for about 15 minutes and probably 20 shots with only a couple of misses. He eventually cried uncle and never bothered me again. I'd heard some years later from his siblings that his mother had witnessed the whole thing from his first shot and refused to put a stop to it to teach him a lesson.

And suddenly, I remember why I always wanted to be a SWAT sniper...

MarineTech
January 15, 2003, 12:19 PM
On the rifle range as a Marine in 92, I knocked the spindle out of the shot spotting disk twice in a row at the 500 yard line at the 29 Palms range. My line coach just happened to be watching me when I did it the 1st time. Fired the round and saw the disk drop off the target. Coach called down to verify the keyhole shot. Came back to the line that I had blown the spindle out of the spotter. Coach made the comment that he bet I'd never do it again. I told him "Probably not." Next shot, I did it again. Coach spent the rest of the day going on about "His great shooter. I can't claim skill on either shot. Both were just pure luck. That's why I've resigned myself to never winning the lottery. I used my luck up that day. Finished the qual with a 238, so I was happy.

Moondancer
January 15, 2003, 12:55 PM
Somewhere around 1975... my best friend and I are into squirrel hunting and handguns in a big way. I've got a S&W Model 19 4" bbl and he's got a S&W Model 29 6&1/2" bbl (the Dirty Harry gun). We decide to try birdshot in handloads for the squirrels.

We head back to the woord through the marsh and up flys a pheasant. To this day, I cannot remember which one of us it was that drew and fired, but down it came. When we cleaned it, we found a single pellet in the head.

Luck, pure and simple. But to paraphrase Skeeter Skelton from one of his "Me and Joe" stories... It's better to be lucky than good!

Smoke
January 15, 2003, 01:14 PM
I once had a coyote running straight away from me. Jumping the broom weeds at regular intervals.

I timed the shot so that I caught him at the peak of the jump. Shot him right in the back of the head with a 30-30 lever gun. Iron sights, approximately 80-85 yards.

Have witnesses. Never had the chance for another try. Don't really want one.

I made a spectacular shot on a quail once that the brother-in-law still talks about. It was just a reflexive shot that I have no idea how I did it. Couldn't repeat it....ever.

Missouri Mule
January 15, 2003, 02:03 PM
150 long paces standing, 1 shot. 1 Coyote running broadside.
Rem M700 .243 & 4X Bushnell scope = 1 dead coyote.

100 yard rifle target range. 1 unopened evil green Shasta lemon lime soda can.
1 shot standing of .45 acp from Colt 1911A1 = 1 dead Shasta.

Every now and again I try to duplicate this one. If I'm in the mood I'll usually only make 7 trys at a time. In almost 10 years I have only come close a few times in maybe 100 trys.

Oh yeah, the can is free hanging from the top wire. Nothing significant to use as a reference to assist the Kentucky windage.
:neener:

Prez
January 15, 2003, 02:24 PM
This thread brought me out of lurking...

To add to the Daisy BB gun reports, I once hit a flying horsefly from the shoulder with one that belonged to my grandmother when I was about 9 years old.

My best shot ever was against a mean older kid named Mark in my neighborhood that delivered the afternoon paper. He'd broken a gunny sack full of beer bottles that my friend Todd was bringing to the supermarket to recycle for three cents each. Todd had spent a whole Saturday collecting them, and was in tears after Mark bullied him and broke them all in front of his eyes.

About three days later, Todd and I saw Mark on his paper route about tooling up the street on his Diamondback bike coming towards us from about 100 yards away. I picked up a mud-soaked little league baseball from my backyard (dog toy) and heaved it up in the air as hard as I could in his general direction. The baseball went up like a mortar shell high over the rooftops while Mark pedaled in to meet it. I could tell that the parabolic arch of the baseball was going to connect while it was still in the air, and was immediately sorry that I had thrown it. Butterflies flew in my guts as I prepared to run indoors to escape a beating.

Mark never saw it coming. Just as Mark was in mid-swing to throw a paper on someone's porch, the ball tagged him right behind his ear and unhorsed him from his bike like an invisible knight in a jousting contest lanced him in the face. Mark fell onto the asphalt with the back of his head making first contact, and Todd and I could hear dull 'Bok!' of his skull striking the pavement. He didn't make so much as a squeak.

He was knocked completely unconscious in the middle of the street with his papers scattered all over the road. Before Todd and I skeedaddled, I remember the neighborhood being so deathly quiet I could hear the baseball rolling down the gutter. The front wheel on Mark's bike was just going around and around.

We ran inside and I was so scared I wanted to throw up. I was sure that I had killed him. Todd had the biggest grin on his face and just kept saying 'THAT WAS SO COOL' over and over while I tried to get him to stop talking and promise me that he wouldn't tell the cops that I had killed Mark. We watched from inside my living room through a very narrow draw in the curtains as Mark laid on his back in the street completely still. His EYES were open, but he wasn't moving a bit. I was SURE he was dead now.

I decided that I was going to call the ambulance, so I ran into the kitchen to get the phone and dial the number on the emergency card attached to it. It was only a few minutes before a station wagon stopped in front of Mark and a lady and her daughter got out to check on Mark. He'd finally woken up by then as was crying his eyes out with his face as red as a beet. Todd yelled 'HE'S ALIVE!' and told me to put down the phone.

Mark sat on the curb for a few minutes while the lady and daughter watched him cry, and then put his bike in the back of her station wagon, loaded Mark in the back seat, and took him home. His papers were still scattered all over the street when they drove off. No-one else in the neighborhood saw a thing.

After he was out of sight, I felt a lot better, and that even turned into elation and Todd and I recounted the stories to ourselves over and over. We even went out to get my dog's baseball out of the gutter. Later on that evening, Mark's father drove him down the street from our house and picked up his papers with him.

I bet he still doesn't know to this day what gave him that concussion.
He turned into a nicer guy in high school, but I still never wanted to make contact with him.

Mark, if you're out there reading this, I'm sorry.

cordex
January 15, 2003, 02:44 PM
Ruger MkII .22LR. Halfhearted attempt at hitting a machine-thrown clay. Cousin (operating the thrower) went bugeyed when I smoked it. I was more surprised than he.

NewShooter78
January 15, 2003, 03:17 PM
To add to the BB gun tales...

I once shot a lizards head clean off with a daisy bb gun. I was looking out at my back yard when I spotted this green lizard just sitting on one of the rungs of my dad's ladder which was perched up against one of our trees. The shoot had to be from about 75 ft from my bedroom window, with open sights.

I also shot a flying crow once, that was over 100 ft away with the same bb gun too. I doubt that I could ever do it again, but for some reason I had it aimed just right and saw the big bird go down and get tangled in some power lines. Shortly there after, I quit hunting the local wildlife in the backyards on my block. I started to feel sorry for killing all those birds, squirrels, and other misc "beasts".

Guyon
January 16, 2003, 05:27 AM
Similar to the baseball story....

My cousin and I were having a watermelon seed spitting contest. Before long, we were having a seed battle that eventually turned into throwing chunks of watermelon. After he popped me in the face with a chunk, he took off running like crazy. I picked up a quarter of a watermelon and with all my strength, lobbed it wildly in his direction. The melon arced up over a wall and descended perfectly on his head. Made a nice pop as the rind broke over his skull and showered him with sticky melon.

sm
January 16, 2003, 07:04 PM
Disclaimer: Don't do this, Its not acceptable -or legal.

Dove hunting, finished ,shotguns in truck of my vehicle. Friends and I getting ready to pullout out of the field..."hey look at two doves on that old abandoned phone line". Hmm ok, I remove my 22lr target pistol out and using the top of the car as a rest I take aim,plop...plop! Two doves with one shot at ~75 steps(factory target sights--no glass). The backstop was the old farmhouse, I hurriedly retrieved and placed with others. I figured G&F would converge before we finally got off the farm. One of the guys offered me $125 more for that pistol than I had in it...guess he thought it had magic since he was getting into Bullseye.

cowdawg
January 16, 2003, 07:14 PM
Best shots I've made have been with an eddystone m-17 i bought when i was 13 for 30.00(loooong ago) I have takin quite a few real nice mule deer bucks with it, most have been lucky? I hit um in the ear, the ear on those muleys just make a good target, course on the trophy ones i hit um in the neck. the m-17 has the original peep sight and longish 26 inch barrel. So from rear sight to front is around 30 inches. If I can see um I can hit um with it.
"it ain't braggin if ya done it"

St. Gunner
January 16, 2003, 09:20 PM
One day a buddy and I are out shooting silos with our .308's here at the house(375yd range). The wind is blowing about 20mph and gusting about 35mph. We've shot a few times and the groups are really not looking to good, having trouble keeping them in the chest. I'm ragging him about his string of shots covering about 17" of chest horizontally, so he says something about, ok #$&*@# hit this here 20 oz soda bottle from back at the 375yd line with one shot, hit it 2 out of 2 and i'll buy you a 1/2 gallon of Crown. So the gun is zeroed in for 375, and I adjust for the correct windage for a 20mph sustained and figure I am fixin to blast a hole in the air. The soda in the bottle was red, I snuggled into the gun from the prone with it on a bipod and let fly. You could see the red mist float to the left from the wind, the bullet didn't shatter the plastic all the way and the bottom was still full of soda. Worked the bolt and pulled the trigger, the bottom came apart. I calmly explained that being born on Davy Crocketts birthday has certain fringe benefits to it. He called me a liar, but I did get some whiskey.

Oh and we don't drink and shoot, it was for later.

Watchman
January 17, 2003, 12:53 AM
We were out shooting our .50 BMG's at 600 yards and could see that a rabbit had ventured out way behind the target, far enough away that you couldnt see it by eye so we had to use scopes.

One of my friend s metioned that he could "offhand" it and while they were talking about it, I shouldered my 28 pound .50 and freehanded that shot. A puff of dust went up where the rabbit should have been, but we couldnt see the rabbit and figured it must have run off. We went ahead and shot for another half hour before we decided to quit and go get our 600 yard gong.

We drove up to the target and was talking about the fact that there was no way to get lucky enough to snap shoot a rabbit at what we estimated to be over 700 yards. Out of curiosity I walked over to where I thought the rabbit was, and lo and behold there he layed. I had shot him right in the neck and left a perfect half inch hole in him. I got the laser and shot back to the bench and it registered 712 yards.

I couldnt do that again if you paid me. The beauty of it was that there were two witnesses. Since it was rabbit season I field dressed it and cooked it up a week later. It was great.:D

MarineTech
January 17, 2003, 02:04 AM
Watchman, I'm having a little problem beleiving this one. I personally got the see the effect of a .50 caliber bullet impacting flesh while stationed with 7th Marines in Desert Storm. There was no such thing as "a perfect half inch hole" involved with the equation. Even at 700 yards the energy dump is still immense. I find it extremely unlikely that a rabbit hit in the neck would be intact or at least not decapitated.

TexasVet
January 17, 2003, 02:16 AM
MT, I can tell you that if you hit an armadillo at 50 yards with a pure lead round out of a .50-70 Sharps, it will leave a perfect .50 cal hole in his side. However, there will be no other side!:D Leaves an almost perfect HALF armadillo.

4570Rick
January 17, 2003, 05:48 AM
Four wheelin out in the Mojave Desert back in '74, I spotted a Jack. I had my Blackhawk loaded, so I grabbed it in my left hand (I'm right handed), stuck it out the window (while still driving), and took one shot.:eek: Hit it running away right where no entry wound is needed, and turned it inside out.:what: I've not been that lucky again.:(

Watchman
January 17, 2003, 11:47 AM
Watchman, I'm having a little problem beleiving this one. I personally got the see the effect of a .50 caliber bullet impacting flesh while stationed with 7th Marines in Desert Storm. There was no such thing as "a perfect half inch hole" involved with the equation. Even at 700 yards the energy dump is still immense. I find it extremely unlikely that a rabbit hit in the neck would be intact or at least not decapitated.of the shoulder.

Yep. Ive seen coyotes and deer tore up with a .50. One of my friends whacked a deer at 400 + yards and pretty much removed the back side of the shoulder on it. All I can figure is that rabbit is so "soft" that the FMJ didnt disrupt much tissue on it. We thought the same thing, Ive nearly turned rabits inside out with an ought-six, one would think that there wouldnt be much rabbit left after hitting it with a .50.but it didnt look "bad" at all. Ive done more damage to rabbits with .22 hollowpoints then the .50 did in that case.:scrutiny:

Fed168
January 17, 2003, 12:51 PM
Informal contest with a couple riflemen. They were shooting at a quarter, 100 yards out. The average shot was in about 30 seconds. I decided to try it out, got behind the rifle and hit it in about 10 seconds. A nice center punch.

KMKeller
January 17, 2003, 01:03 PM
Watchman, I think the issue is that there has to be some tissue for the round to act against. A rabbit's neck is not much thicker than the .50 slug is long. Probably didn't have enough flesh or time in the flesh to react to it, especially if it missed the spinal column.

Calamity Jane
January 17, 2003, 01:39 PM
I can't think one a singular, stellar "lucky shot", but I was proud of myself, couple of months back, when I shot half-inch bullseye groups, on two separate targets, at 100 yds. with our .22-250.

Hubby made a shot, however, that qualifies for the Best Shot Hall of Fame. There was a black bug crawling across his target at 100 yards, and he was shooting our Ruger .223. He aimed carefully, sighted in the black moving blob, and the black moving blob became a black splat on the target in short order. :D

H Romberg
January 17, 2003, 02:48 PM
I was a dumb kid with a wrist rocket a number of years ago. There was a Bluejay in our pear tree about 20 yards away, and I sent a sharp flat piece of gravel from the driveway towards it. I couldn't believe it when it fell off the branch in one big and one tiny piece. The rock had decapitated it. That was the last time I took an "I wonder" shot at anything alive.

33-805
July 11, 2005, 04:06 PM
I teach a lot of beginning level people to shoot. I love doing it and when doing it I rarely ever take a shot myself. I once had a VERY difficult student though, who would not get off of the line "Those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach." He thought he was pretty witty but was not improving since he would not listen to even the most basic instruction. He was also in danger of losing his post due to non-qualification with his duty weapon. His thing was to blame the gun, a Glock 22. He also doubted my qualification to be an instructor in side conversations with the other students. After most of a day of his stuff, I had had enough. I had another range officer take over the range and asked this guy for his gun. I loaded it and put all 15 right into a tight group on the head of his last (largely untouched) target, fast. I dropped the empty mag, cleared the pistol and handed it back to him. I explained that I didn't see anything wrong with the Glock but that he was doing a few things wrong and asked if he was ready to listen now. He shut up and I got him through qualification.

Gunsnrovers
July 11, 2005, 04:39 PM
Years back at a WWII reenactment, I launced a PVC pipe and cap mortar round out of a homemade British 2" mortar using blackpowder and hit a German right in his lap.

He was sitting crosslegged on the ground on the back side of a hill about 125 yards away overlooking our lines giving a tactical briefing to his guys. We knew approximately where they were in the area and I started dropping in rounds. According to his guys, after the first three rounds he was boasted that "Jeff can't hit @*^$ with that mortar." and the round dropped right in his lap.

A lot of good German and British beer was hoisted that night in the barracks afterwards. :D

MikeJ
July 11, 2005, 05:08 PM
I've had two shots that, for me, I consider quite spectacular.

The first was with a BB gun when a friend threw a pop bottle in the air and I hit it. Keep in mind that I don't hunt birds or engage in trap or skeet shooting.

The second time was when I was out in the country shooting with a friend and he brought along his 30.06, the Remington model that has a pump action. My only experience with a rifle prior to this was with my Ruger 10/22 but I wanted to try this out. I took aim at a pop can floating in a pond quite a distance off, at least much further than I was accustomed to as I was a newbie and my experience for the most part was with handguns. I hit it just below the water line which made it fly up in the air and land on the bank of the pond. I was really impressed with myself but realized that it was mostly dumb luck and a good scope. ;)

HI express
July 11, 2005, 05:16 PM
Used to be a dry riverbed about five minutes drive from my apartment when I was in college. We could drive down into the riverbed, set up and use the sand dunes for a great back stop.

Turned out one Friday, I had a day off and I decided to go to the riverbed for a fun afternoon of shooting. At the time I had a Beretta .25 semi-auto and I grabbed my bag of ammo and headed to the riverbed.

I used to set up tin cans on the trees that had fallen and I had just bought the weapon so I was just breaking it in at about 50 feet away when an old station wagon came into the riverbed. There is over 500 yards of riverbed where you can shoot and of course, this guy pulls up about 50 feet away from my car. He pulls a U-turn and backs up his station wagon, drops the tail gate, and pushes a water cooled .30 caliber machinegun onto the tail gate.

I couldn't believe my eyes, the barrel looked like it was pointed in my general direction. Then he opens up, scattering all my cans and some of the rounds seemed like they were ricocheting off the ground about 15-20 feet away from me.
:cuss:
As soon as he stopped to reload, I screamed at him to cut it out. He started firing again, I got down behind a thick log. As soon as he stopped again, I fired from the hip, in a kneeling position, unaimed and hit all the cans. I reloaded (8 shot magazine) and fired at the cans on the ground, hitting about 5 of them. I then yelled that the next magazine would be at him if he didn't get the H*&& out of there.

I heard some choice grumbling noises, but he packed up and left.

Then I spent the rest of the afternoon and tried to duplicate what I just had done...no such luck. I've been trying for 30+ years now to duplicate that kind of hits...still learning. :cuss:

richyoung
July 11, 2005, 05:27 PM
I was shooting the "Frankenstien" gun (since stolen) that John Axe of Cache Creek Fly Shop and I had put together - Colt commercial slide with Micro adjustable sights, Colt match barrel and bushing, Caspian frame. It was one of those days that the target looked as big as a battleship, & I was really shooting good that day, (50 yard, sil. tgt, on the rifle range at Fort Sill's MB1 range.) Last round of the last magazine of hte day, one of the other shooters hollers, "Rich, go for a head shot!" Threw the gun up one-handed and put a wadcutter right in between where the eyes would be. Took the target home and taped it to the door of the apt, with the peep hole right under the bullet hole. NOBODY messed with me at that apartment - (did have a hard time getting second dates until I took it down- go figgure...)

StopTheGrays
July 11, 2005, 05:43 PM
Moving carpenter ant from 15ft away, called snap up shot. Complete 1 in a 1000 type of thing. When I was 12ish (about 20 some years ago) my buddy Dave and I were shooting at "stuff" in the back yard and seeing who could hit what. I saw a large black carpenter ant crawling along the driveway and called it my target and shot---Just a BS type of shot. We did not see the ant move any more and went to look at it. Sure 'nuff the middle section of the ant was smashed flat.

I never was able to do anything like that again and I am older and smarter now and know not to try.

Havegunjoe
July 11, 2005, 06:31 PM
I was hunting alone or I wouldn't have tried this. I hadn't had much luck on late fall day so when a rooster took off at my feet flying directly behind me I decided to take a chance. I made a 180 degree pivot, and shot from the hip with my Ithica 20 ga.. As I shot I was off balance and fell backward. The bird dropped to the ground dead. Upon inspection the only pellet I could find was one in the head.

PaladinVC
July 11, 2005, 07:53 PM
At the range with a buddy, I shot my S&W 22A while he was shooting a Savage .22 rifle. After a while, he hung an empty coke can out at 100 yards. He shot ten shots, missed ten times. Blamed the ammo. I took one of his rounds, dropped it into the chamber of my 22A, and holstered it. A quick rock&lock and a shot from the hip, a brief delay, and then *ping* as the can jerked, spun lazily, then dropped. The .22 had passed right through the tab, such that the can's own weight snapped what was left.

Even better, when I was in about eighth grade, I made a paper airplane during a pop quiz and sent it in the general direction of a particularly unfriendly substitute teacher. It climbed to the ceiling, stalled, then brushed the back of his head and silently exitted via the open door. He looked around for a good three minutes trying to figure out what had hit him. I and the two others who had seen it happen nearly exploded with supressed mirth.

berettashotgun
July 11, 2005, 07:56 PM
Was BP hunting with a mossberg 500 with the BP barrel, I had installed a scope base on the reciever with some green loctite- nothing major :scrutiny: - and went to my buds cabin. I had shot a string of 5 great shots at the target, but DROPPED the rifle on the scope from the treestand right after I had set up and was making the 1st evening. Scope broke- uh-oh, we broke every screwdriver in camp trying to remove the base- it was a tall mount and covered the sights- groan- what the heck- it was still deer season and I was gonna go. Whadda ya know- 6am in stand, 6:05 deer walking around me, 6:47 LEGAL time to shoot- but the deer weren't helping matters- they had decided to roam off to the other side of the clearing- 78yards away to be exact :uhoh: and NO deer had ever been harvested fron this property. I'm never gonna do this, but I lined up the front sight on the deers body and then lowered the barrel untill the scope sight base was level and pulled the trigger, KA-BOOM, just enough humidity I couldn't see squat for a few minutes (it seemed) then I noticed~to my utter amazement~ that buck was dropped in it's tracks. What? never had happened with a BP for me before, upon closer inspection found a perfect hole in the center of his throat. Then went on to miss 4 does at about 20 yards the rest of the weekend.

Remington788
July 11, 2005, 08:54 PM
T/C Contender in .223
Coyote on the trot at 125 yards
One shot, free hand
Coyote DRT

Should have never traded that gun :(

Turkey Creek
July 11, 2005, 09:14 PM
Never been fortunate enough to come close to any of the other stories in this thread, but I did make a 7-10 split in bowling once- :D

entropy
July 12, 2005, 04:19 PM
My best friend is color blind, and sees grouse in the woods as though they are blaze orange. He is also an excellent shot, having worked at a trap range, and gone to the Olympic Shooting Camp in Colo. ( He went about two years before this happened, many moons ago now! :eek: ) So it was more like harvesting grouse, almost boring. To make it a liitle more sporting, I carried my Colt Trooper MkIII with .38 Spls. in it. He'd spot a grouse, I'd 'scare it up' with my Colt, and he'd hopefully have a more challengeing shot. That was the plan. We spotted a grouse, I pulled out the Trooper, saw the grouse 'dip' (get ready to fly) , pooped the POA up about 3 feet, and fired. The grouse dropped to the ground, it's neck broke. I blew the smoke from the barrel, alá Hoppy or Roy Rogers, and reholstered. After he got over looking like this, :what: , he said 'remind me not to get in a pistol fight with you.' I also thought I heard him mutter, "lucky sob....

RTFM
July 12, 2005, 04:39 PM
U.S.Army Ft. Jackson SC. (Tank Hill!!)

M203 grenade launcher training. You recieve 2 rounds, 1) Orange paint to see how it trajects, 1) HE round.

There is an M113 APC about 100Yards down range, you are suppose to hit the APC with paint then wen told to do so, the HE "by the numbers".

I shot the paint round and fell about 50-60' short. The instructor says "prepair for the LIVE ROUND I will count by the numbers"
1) Open launcher tube" (mine is stuck)
2) Expell spent pratice round" (Nope still jammed shut)
3) Insert HIGH EXPLOSIVE ROUND" (Not budging... OH CRAP!!!)
4) Colse launch tube" (WAIT it's moving slightly)
5) PREPAIR TO FIRE!" (IT'S FREE!!!!! Oh happy day!!!)
6) FIRE!" (I slap open the tube, drop the spent round, load and close on the HE round and fire from the hip...)

Just as I bring my weapon to the ready position (where you are told to be after firing...) I and the DI watch my HE round enter the top hatch on the 113 and explode INSIDE the M-113.

He looks me dead in the eye and says "fine shooting son, you listened well"

DarthBubba
July 12, 2005, 05:06 PM
The best shot ever was a nice white tail buck 300+ yards shot just below the head in the brain stem with my mighty 7mm mag.
The luckiest shot ever was with my Winchester mod. 12 shotgun dropped 4 blue quail with one shot due to my expert skills LOL just kidding it was all luck and the fact I had a scatter spreader on the power pack choke and a good dog.

DarthBubba :D

Ian
July 12, 2005, 05:32 PM
I was plinking at an informal range wih my Daewoo K2 one time, shooting at pop cans and such. A couple of guys showed up and started throwing clays and shooting at them with a shotgun of some kind. When they ran out of ammo they still had some clays left over, and asked if I wanted to try my hand. I said sure, and for kicks kept my Daewoo rather than use their offered shotgun (the range was in a steep valley, and I could shoot at a clay safely). The guy with the thrower heaved one for me, and I swung my rifle up and nailed it with a single shot. I declined to try for a second one. :)

CAS700850
July 12, 2005, 05:38 PM
Shooting with my father and some of his buddies when I was 18. Dad bragging that I'm a good shot. Bets are made. Dad puts a lit cigarette on a nail on the target post. I'm about 10 yards away. Dad says "hit it here" pointing to the lit end. Everyone laughs. I have my great-grandfather's Marlin 39. Rack a round, bring it up. Work the breathing. Squeeze. Bang. Lit portion blown off the cigarette. Filter and half the cigarette still there. Looking around, no one finds the burning end, so everyone concludes I hit the burning part dead on.

I'd call it skill, but it was lucky...

HighVelocity
July 12, 2005, 05:54 PM
My luckiest shot ever was not with a firearm.
In the early 80's I was turning wrenches at a now defunct Buick dealer west of Houston.
We had a serious problem with stray cats. The shop was in the country and the cats were everywhere. They'd get in your car (or customers cars) if you left the window down and relieve themselfs on the seat. A serious nuisance.
One day another mechanic and I were standing behind the shot bs'ing about something when I see a pretty good size tomcat lurking in the weeds across the dirt road that ran between the shop and the highway.
I looked down and saw a spark plug on the ground. Picked it up, hurled it as hard as I could at the cat.
There was a WHACK sound and the cat launched straight into the air about 4 ft. When it hit the ground it was dead.
The spark plug was burried in it's skull. I felt bad because I didn't even expect to hit it. Of course my buddy starts whooping it up and everyone else in the shop pours out the back door to see what happened. From that day on I was referred to as the cat killer buy all the women at the dealership. :rolleyes:

mountain_cowboy
July 12, 2005, 06:32 PM
So, this one time I was up in my treehouse playing, and I had to pee really bad. As I was unzipping, I saw the neighborhood bully walking down the sidewalk right next to the tree that my treehouse was in... :neener: OK, I'm just kidding.

Ryder
July 12, 2005, 06:42 PM
One can amaze one's self so many times as to suppose (to one's self) that it's probably not luck. Wouldn't it be easier to recall the unluckiest shot's we've ever made? I mean, guns just do what ya tell em to, don't they?

"No brag, just fact" - (Walter Brennan) :D

El Tejon
July 12, 2005, 06:45 PM
Crow in the head with a .220 Swift at 300 yards from a modified sitting.

Don't ask me to repeat it. :D

Waffen
July 12, 2005, 07:44 PM
Split a .223 case EXACTLY in 1/2 with a .22lr at 100 yards. the case was still somewhat in tact, but probably a thousanth on each side of the case was holding it together. I still have the case. I tired numerious times after that to repeat the shot. Cannot do it again even at closer ranges.

scout26
July 12, 2005, 10:45 PM
Lucky shot #1:

Buddy hung some clays up on nails at the 100 yd range and proceeds to miss them all with his brand new Henry Golden Boy (with professionaly installed optics). I'm at the 25 yard range with my 1911 banging away. I walk over to see how's he doing as I'm reloading magazines.

Him: :cuss: .....Rifle.... :cuss: .....Scope...... :cuss:

Me: Hmmmm.......

Walk back, grab 1911, load magazine, rack the slide. Super elevate above a clay, gently squeeze the trigger and watch the clay (two over from the I'm aiming above :neener: ) just vaporize.

Him: :what:

Lucky Shot #2:

three Sunday's ago, my 11 year old Daughter is trying skeet for the first time, with her Mossy 500 pump. My 4 year old son is on the buttons as the trapper.
At Station 3, I get the double with one shot. (First time I've ever done it)

Son: THAT WAS COOL DAD !!!! DO IT AGAIN !!!!!
Daughter: Okay dad, you gonna show off or teach me how to shoot skeet ????

Best Shot #3:

Last year, deer seaon. Around 1:30, Deedalee boopin' down the trail, looking at the trees and surroundings, not looking for deer, but just enjoying being out in nature, not even trying to be quiet. Might have even been humming or softly singing. (badly and offkey) Heading back to camp after being in the stand all morning, gonna grab some quick chow, refill the canteen and go to the stand I setup near a food plot to hunt in the afternoon. Still have both tags as I hadn't seen a deer all day.
Suddenly notice a nice size doe bust out of some brush up the hill. Raise my shotgun, and grunt, she stops and looks downhill at me.

Center my crosshairs right on her boileroom. I grunt again.

She looks down at me and then looks behind her.

I open my non-shooting eye.......quickly re-aim, grunt and squeeze the trigger. 85 yards, uphill, off-hand. He made it 30 more yard uphill before he dropped for good.

Yep, I got the Big Deer trophy at camp last year.

RevDisk
July 12, 2005, 11:39 PM
My Schutzenschnur qualification with the Bundeswehr.

Pistol and rifle qual, no problem.

Then, the MG qualification. Lemme explain the MG qualification.

The MG-3 has a cyclic rate of 1200 rpm, roughly 20 rounds per second. You are issued 15 rounds. The target looks like a farm landscape, full colour. Keep in mind, that 15 rounds is a .75 second burst. There are small black silhouettes with a 4 cm and 10 cm circle around them. You have to make the 15 rounds last for at least 3 bursts by hitting 3 different targets.

Simple, right? I'm a trained soldier! I'm damn good with ANY weapon! Yep, even with a WWII era German machinegun that I've NEVER fired before. (Uh, I was attempting to lie to myself, hoping I could fool myself into believing it. Didn't work so well.)

Ok. The ammo clerk hands me my rounds. They had clerks for every function you could imagine. And a booklet to record every single time you shot, and how many rounds, how many hits/misses, etc. They put my social number on my 'papers', which was kinda creepy. Not as creepy as Gunther. Gunther was a 6'4 or 6'5 massive black Bundeswehr soldier who had an incredibly deep and scary voice. He could say "Hello, how are you?" and it'd naturally sound like he wanted to kill you. Hearing him say "Papers!" (yea, in German accented English) was VERY unnerving.

Ok, enough about Gunther. Concentrate on shooting. Yea... They point me up to the first firing position. The firing instructor turns out to be an incredibly attractive young female soldier. Mind you, I've been deployed for about eight or nine months at this point. Dirty Germans! They set me up! Why couldn't they have been merciful and just have Gunther beat the tar out of me with a lead pipe?

Of course, they're all snickering and giving me thumbs up. "Sehr einfach, eh?" To which I very diplomatically replied "Gehen sie auf Teufel!" as I choke down the urge to repeat WWII.

So I try to concentrate. The young lady explains how to load the MG and everything else. I nod a lot, and keep staring at the MG. Stare at MG, stare at... AT THE MG, DANG IT, AT THE MG! I load the MG with the belt, fire short 3 rd burst, then... the dirt smacks me in the face and suddenly something is wiggling on top of me doing something to the MG. Reality smacks me in the face harder than the ground did. She finishes doing whatever to the weapon, and then says "Ok. Shoot."

"Ein moment, bitte..." Again, realize how long I had been deployed.

I take my moment. Breath in. And somehow zoned out everything. Not sure how, but it seemed like time slowed down. I could almost see the bullets in travel as I pegged four more targets on that damn landscape, firing single rounds at a time. No idea how the heck I managed it. Honestly don't. As it'd require pulling the trigger for .0008 seconds per round, which I don't think is possible.

After I fired the last round, I walked off the range and smoked about half a pack.

Still have my Schutzenschnur badge and certificate on the wall.

TxCajun
July 13, 2005, 12:29 AM
Many years ago, on a bumpy, washboad, shell road that ran through a pasture in S Louisiana, I leaned out of the window with a Charter arms snubby 38 and took the head off of a quail running in front of the truck. :what:

Silent-Snail
July 13, 2005, 03:24 AM
Jessie H I hit a fly with a squirt gun too except mine was flying at the time. :neener:

GregGry
July 13, 2005, 04:32 AM
I hit inside a 10 ring, at 20+ yards without my glasses. I couldn't even see the sights properly to line up the shot :eek:. That will never happen again :D

Gaiudo
July 13, 2005, 06:26 AM
First roughed grouse I ever shot, up in North Woods of Wisconsin, had one flush behind the spruces. Saw a flash of wings on the flush, and then it hit the spruce stand. I shot fight pattern, knocked down a two inch sapling on the way, and walked over to find the English Setter mouthing it. I was 18, and that was the beginning of my grouse addiction.

Byron Quick
July 13, 2005, 07:09 AM
Prone position with a Marlin 336 chambered in .35 Remington. Weaver 4X scope. Placed a red thumbtack in the precise center of the bullseye. One shot. Hit the thumbtack dead center. Not half on the tack and half on...exactly on top of it. A measured 150 yards. Once again...don't ask me to repeat it.

Not a particularly difficult shot but this one has stayed in my memory. I shot a deer in the spine at 250 yards with a .300 Win Mag. What makes it stand out is that I never lost sight of the deer in the scope throughout the recoil of the shot.

Just before dark one night, I looked out the back of my stand at a small food plot about two hundred yards away. Was that a darker blotch in the plot? I put my scope on it and sure enough; there were two does browsing. Only one problem: there was a canopy of vines between me and the deer. I could see the deer but with all the vine leaves being out of focus between the scope and the deer; I couldn't get a good sight picture. I looked this way and that way. No good. Finally, I stood on top on the five gallon bucket that I was sitting on. I still couldn't see. So I tried standing on tip toe. Eureka! A good sight picture! Squeezed off the round on tip toes and so close to full dark that you couldn't even see a dark blotch on the food plot without optics. By itself, it was not a particularly difficult shot. But add the vines, the low light, and the position all together and it became memorable.

Rickstir
July 13, 2005, 10:51 AM
One I remember was a dobule on doves. They flew left to right with one about two feet in front of the first. They were about 30 yards out. I swung my Browning Sweet Sixteen and just like Sgt. York said, shot the last one then the first one, never broke the swing of the gun, just a plain old double tap. I turned and looked at my brother, who saw the whole thing, and just winked. Took him about five mins. to close his mouth!

TimH
July 14, 2005, 12:15 AM
When I was a kid my nieghbor & me were shooting our bb guns. There a cloths line about 50-75 feet away. I said watch this I gonna shoot a clothspin off the line. There was only a few pins on the line and no cloths attached. I pulled up my gun and took a shot without aiming & knocked a clothspin off. Obviously pure luck...but I was proud as a peacock :p

RavenVT100
July 14, 2005, 01:09 AM
I found out my wife was pregnant and it turned out to be a damned handsome boy.

scott5
July 14, 2005, 01:28 AM
During a deer hunt years ago, my brother with a barrowed 7 mm Rem Mag using iron sight shot a running deer at about 200 yards.
One bullet fragment hit the spine at the base of the neck, another one hit the heart, and another one went though both lungs.

We would take our deer guns rabbit hunting just for fun and my brother using a Rem. 788 6MM could shoot the head off a running jackrabbit at 150 yards.

Using that same Rem 788 I shot a running cottontail in the head at 25 yards.
I couldn't figure out why the rabbit was bouncing about 4 feet in the air until I got to it :confused:
I had hit in the back of the skull and the only thing left of was a small patch of hair with the ears still intack and they were just connected to the body by the spinal cord.

Have you guys ever done the rifle over the sholder with the mirror trick?

I was shooting my BB gun in the garage on day at about 7 steps and I went and got a mirror, turned my back to the target, put the gun over my shoulder, held up the mirror and watched the sights go zipping around the bullseye, pulled the trigger and saw a hole apear right in the center of the bull that I couldn't do facing the target.

wingnutx
July 14, 2005, 07:28 PM
I was a-gunner not the trigger man, but we shot a bird out of the air with an M-60 while qualifying.

No way could I do that on purpose.

Dave Dembinski
July 14, 2005, 09:29 PM
My brother-in-law and his dad had taken me and my dad out shooting for Father's Day, at one of the un-supervised ranges in PA. His dad had brought his M1 Garand, and I'd lugged along my stable-full of crap from Ohio. Most of the day was spent happily plinking, teaching my sister and father how to shoot, good times. Sister, of course, turned out to be a crack shot and easily puts me to shame.

Then, Andrew (BIL) found a potato someone had left lying around, and stuck it out on the target holder at the 100-yard line. Dude must have fired 20 rounds of 30-06 at that little spud, with his dad spotting through a little 4x Weaver rimfire scope I'd brought but hadn't mounted, and wasn't able to touch it. I sat down next to him and asked if he minded if I took a shot at it. Adjusted the blade sight on my CZ 452 to 100 yards, pulled it up to my shoulder, and popped that tuber with my 1st shot! Really surprised me, too, since I hadn't tried that rifle at further than 50 yards, yet. :scrutiny:

Incidentally, a subsonic HP .22LR doesn't do much to a veggie at 100 yards. At 25, though . . . :evil:

WvaBill
July 14, 2005, 10:08 PM
Hit a deer in the throat at 125 yards with a muzzle loader, lead ball, open sights in lat dusk. Front sight covered the whole deer. Had to unload any way, so, boom and the deer dropped.

Stevie-Ray
July 14, 2005, 10:46 PM
When I bought my T/C Contender in .30-30, I bought a 4X Leupold scope and mount for it, also. After mounting the scope I was anxious to go to the range. Waiting 4 days for our weekly wednesday trip nearly killed me, but it paid off handsomely. I settled in with the gun on it's rest and centered the scope on the target 50 yards away. I was going to fire 3 shots for group and then check the spotting scope and do my adjustments. After the first shot only, I decided to check the spotter. For a second, I couldn't see anything. No way I could have missed the paper entirely?!! On closer inspection, the hole was dead center of the X; you could still see all 4 appendages coming out from it. "Well?" was what I was getting from my cronies. I said, "You'll never believe it unless you look." After they looked it was more like, "OH COME ON!!!"

On the wall above me hangs a double arrow, the result of 2 bullseyes in a row. The second was driven 9 inches into the first, the finest and obviously the luckiest shot I ever made with my Hoyt Pro-Vantage.

Berek
July 14, 2005, 11:39 PM
Last year during early archery, I harvested a 6 point that should have gotten away. He was 35 yards away just inside a tree line. I was sitting in a hardwood grove on the ground. There was a break in the branches about 15 " wide and about 20 yards away. I drew, but then I hesitated. My fingers released a split second before my brain said let it go. The arrow entered his right hind quarter. I thought I hit bone and he should have been gone.

After waiting about 30 minutes, I decided to see if I could find the beginning of the trail figuring I was in for a long and disappointing track. After not finding anything for about 5 minutes, I moved about 7 yards in the direction he was travelling and I found it. 4 feet wide and 10 yards long. It was like a carpeted path leading me right to him.

I found that the arrow had penetrated just behing the bone and severed the femoral artery. It passed through, "changed his religion" and entered his left hind quarter severing the artery and exiting the other side.

That would be my luckiest shot.

Berek

gunsmith
July 15, 2005, 03:04 AM
a browning hi power 9mm clone made in argentina

GunGoBoom
July 15, 2005, 11:22 AM
Never made a truly amazing shot with a gun. I DID however, make a fairly lucky shot with a bow & arrow, my first year to have and use an adult sized bow. At about 17 yards, maybe 16, I "doubled up" or split an arrow that was already in the target with another arrow. The second arrow hit the plastic nock, shattered it, and continued driving straight up the rear of the other arrow about 1.5 inches and then stuck, splaying in all directions the carbon fiber material of the front arrow. But I guess this is not all that uncommon....at a local bow pro shop here, they have a "triple" that some guy did! :what:

Here's some people who have shot flys off their targets, with pics:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96141&highlight=fly

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97794&page=2&pp=15&highlight=fly

Taurus 66
July 15, 2005, 11:53 AM
I once shot a 22 over my back while looking through a mirror. I was attempting to hit an apple 50 yards off.

The bullet went low, deflecting slightly left and at just the right angle off the back of a toad. Three hundred and twenty yards away was a man sitting down in his back yard smoking a cigarette and enjoying an ice cold beer. The round penetrated his can, spilling out some of the ice cold contents into his lap. This startled him causing a quick jerk response which resulted in him dropping his cig on a neaby bag of assorted fireworks. The majority of these bottle rockets went straight up, however, a few did stray off course. One of these struck that same toad on the back at just the right angle, deflecting upward and lodging itself in the apple.

What makes this a lucky shot is that I successfully repeated it ... several times ;)

AirForceShooter
July 15, 2005, 12:29 PM
I was still living in NY and went shooting at the public range in Matamoris PA.
I took out my Remington Old Army Black Powder cap and ball and some guy looked at his kid and told him to watch me I wouldn't be able to hit anything.
Walked down range with my standard paper pie plate target and a 1" orange spot in the middle and set it at 50 yards.
Back to the bench , the kid watching every move. Did the Black Powder thing and loaded up 6 rounds. Took the standard John Wayne duelist stance ( one handed , arm outstreched) and fired one round. SMOKE, loud long low boom. Kids eyes the size of dinner plates. And BEHOLD!!!
One round hole in the orange dot, dead center. The kids Dad shut up.
Put the gun away and never said a word to either of them. PURE LUCK, but it shut the guy up.
It was fun.
Oh, finished the last 5 rounds after the big mouth left. Hit the pie plate but never touched the orange.

AFS :p

Byron Quick
July 15, 2005, 12:58 PM
Just remembered another one. When I was in high school; I would go camping in hunting season without food. If I didn't kill game then I didn't eat. Believe me, this makes you hunt much harder. I was walking the old home place and getting discouraged. It was almost dark and I hadn't seen anything to try to shoot. Suddenly I saw movement to my left in my peripheral vision. A squirrel was running up a tree trunk. As I began to turn ninety degrees to my left to shoot the squirrel; a rabbit began to run down some field rows to my right. I shot the squirrel and turned 180 degrees to shoot the rabbit. A dove flew over as I shot the rabbit. I turned ninety degrees and got the dove, too. Three shots in immediate sequence netted a squirrel, a rabbit, and a dove...shots placed ninety degrees to my left, 180 degrees to my right, and ninety degrees to my right. After the first shot; I moved throught 270 degrees for shots two and three.

I ate well that night.

Glock19Fan
July 15, 2005, 03:39 PM
The best thing I can remember is several years ago I was shooting pigeons with my pellet gun from inside a window. There were two pigeons sitting on a powerline that hung maybe 20 feet up. I took a shot and missed. The birds flew away, and reloaded and pumped. Several seconds later, the landed around 15 feet outside my window. I took aim, and pulled the trigger. I didnt take much aim since it was a quick shot.

The bird that I was aiming at dropped instantly, but the other bird just stuck aorund not knowing what happened. I decided to let it live, went outside to see my kill. I rolled the pigeon over several times looking for an enterance or an exit, but couldnt find one. Then, I saw where the pellet hit. It entered AND exited both of the pigeons eyes, but I couldnt tell which was the enterance and exit. It didnt even touch the skull. Me an my friends got a kick out of that. :)

Hemicuda
July 15, 2005, 03:53 PM
Best shot was with a Winchester 94-22M (22 mag lever action) I had just bought it, mounted up s nice 2-7 scope on it, and bresighted it... i stopped by a friends place on the way home to shoot it... (and sight it in)

friend is admiring it, and asks to shoot it... ok... no problem... he loads it up, and fires it at a small bird ( a starling, i think), in a tree about 75 yards away... a puff of feathers and the bird falls outta the tree... DEAD

I point out that it's only boresighted, and that it was pure luck... he hands me the gun and says "try it"... i kid you not, i threw it up, shot at another birdie in the same tree... same results... i have yet, to this day, to ever finish sighting that gun in... it ALWAYS hits where i point it, and it would appear that boresighting is good enough (in this case)

Dionysusigma
July 15, 2005, 05:37 PM
I was once in a benchrest match against Jesus and Buddha. I placed 2nd. :uhoh:

:D :rolleyes:

Reality:

When I first got into "guns," I had a $20 Marksman BB/Pellet/Dart/Bolt pistol from Wal-Mart, a carton of BBs, and a whole day to myself. I started out shooting at an 8.5x11" piece of printer paper taped to a tree about six yards away, just to see what it'd do. First hopper-full, I got about 12 of the 18 shots on paper, which I was more'n proud of. However, I kept shooting... and shooting... and shooting... break for restroom... shooting... lunch... shooting... shooting...

Keep in mind that this is in Oklahoma, which rivals western Kansas for its everyday wind. By late afternoon, the wind had picked up to ~25-30 mph, and I had run out of paper and had switched to 3x5" index cards. I had also kept moving back; at about 4:30 pm, I was ~40 yards away. By now I had to compensate about 35 deg. up and 20 to the left just to hit the tree.

My greatest moment was when I got all eighteen shots on target. Twice in a row. :)

ruger270man
July 15, 2005, 06:56 PM
[quote]
Another more recent shot that really surprised me happened when dialing in a fairly new Savage .17 rifle. I reset the scope to 50 yards and found I could pick out a one inch square, nail it and then shoot a second shot into the same square. Every time I tried it the second shot touched the first. That is mostly rifle I am sure but it is heck on squirrels
[quote]

probably the same rifle my brother has. Hes got a synthetic savage .17 hmr, thing will drill bullets through the same hole at 50 yards all day long

GRB
July 15, 2005, 07:14 PM
Luckiest shot I ever made was the one and only n/d I had when I put one into my kitchen floor. I really had thought I had cleared it and even thought I saw it was clear, silly me I thought the mag was out but was actually holding a spare mag. Even when I loooked into the gun it appeared empty because it was very hard to see into the mag well and chamber as it was pretty dark. Thought I saw dark hole, I actually just did not have enough light to see properly. To take down the gun trigger had to be depressed, so I let the slide go forward, squeezed the trigger, then boom. That was a big brain fart while very tired.

It was a very lucky shot though in that at least it was pointed in a fairly safe a direction as it could be in my house. No one was injured, except for my pride. That was my first piece of luck. I also wound up finding a leak in my gas line down in the basement when I climbed up on the work bence to see if the round had come through the floor. It had not but, while up there looking at the basement ceiling for a hole, I smelled gas. Pipe was leaking at a joint. So I was doubly lucky in that I had found the leak. The bullet had not hit the pipe and made it go bang and, I found the leak before enough gas built up to have the boiler make it go bang. So luck was a three time charm.

Stupid to have the ND, yep - bad move on my part. Nonetheless it was a very lucky shot indeed.

All the best,
Glenn B

moredes
July 15, 2005, 07:58 PM
Remember Mel Gibson's 'happy face' in Lethal Weapon? My LEO friend and I were at the range and he asked me to show him how fast I could empty a 1911 and stay in the black. He timed me, and it turned out that I did it in 9 seconds. A PERFECT happy face, with the nose on the "X"; equal spacing, everything. All this at 25yards. He looked at me in total awe. "Damn, Ken was right; you really can shoot!!"

I didn't tell him I had no idea where the shots were going as we walked away from the target. :rolleyes: :what:
Hell, I was surprised I was on paper at that speed. and there's no way I can tell you which shot went where; don't even ask... :scrutiny: :)

IronLance
July 15, 2005, 08:06 PM
The last 600 - 1000 yard match I attended in Pascagoula.

We had about a twenty minute break while the pit personnel changed over to the 1000 yard line. Once the pits were sealed we began our prep, including making adjustments to sights (in this case I was shooting F-Class so I had a 10x scope).

The wind had been squirrelly all morning. Sometimes coming from 2:00 sometimes from 10:00, and gusting up to 12mph at one point. I went with what I judged to be about 5 mph from 9:00 and took my first sighter. Practically a dead center X ring.

Best first shot at 1000 I ever made and I couldn't keep the target, nor could I count it for record. Bummer. I talked to the target puller afterwards and he said it was about 1" away from DC. Made my day, I'll tell you.

Unfortunately the rest of the string wasn't near as good. I dropped six points and only attained 5 x's for record. Ah well. I still had fun.

If you enjoyed reading about "The best or "luckiest" shot you've ever made" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!