Youtube video from Magpul I think you guy's will enjoy

PDA

NYenthusiast
April 25, 2008, 04:17 PM
I just found this a few minutes ago and I thought you guys would enjoy :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=segtXBwglj4

If you enjoyed reading about "Youtube video from Magpul I think you guy's will enjoy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dravur
April 25, 2008, 04:21 PM
nice video and at least its not the one about the folding glock...

But.... not to pick a nit, but going down range when someone else is blasting away behind you seems a little.... stupid. Now, they may have stopped shooting when the other was down range, but could not tell by the vid. I do realize that they were moving to the side as well as down range. Still seems to be breaking a number of rules.

dewage83
April 25, 2008, 04:35 PM
it was alright. but I have to agree with Dravur, running down range while lead is flying down range, probably not for me...

RiflemanTripleEight
April 25, 2008, 04:39 PM
On the range that might be a no go...in the real world you do what you gotta do.

exar
April 25, 2008, 04:50 PM
Now you just need to go out and buy 'ya some of them fancy Magpul mag extension's used for better grip and hooking on your tacticool vest. Yeah, that's the ticket, then we can be as good as those guy's...:rolleyes::D

Darthbauer
April 25, 2008, 04:57 PM
That and they do alot of training before they actually start live fire exercises like that. You dont just pick up your gun with someone you have never shot with before and start doing drills like that. A buddy of mine almost shot his brother in the back trying that once.

NYenthusiast
April 25, 2008, 05:08 PM
What I dont think some of you are taking into account is that not only do these guy's train extensivley to perform these drills, but, they are not advertising it as something you should try at your local range. What I bielive they are advertising is a training program. Something that would be used in a real world gunfight.

CannibalCrowley
April 25, 2008, 05:38 PM
I don't see the problem with going downrange in that fashion. How else are you supposed to practice fire and maneuver?

Thernlund
April 25, 2008, 05:43 PM
That and they do alot of training before they actually start live fire exercises like that. You dont just pick up your gun with someone you have never shot with before and start doing drills like that.

I agree. Professional drivers, closed course.

-T.

Bazooka Joe71
April 25, 2008, 05:51 PM
Screw training and practice, all I need now are some Magpul accessories.

On the range that might be a no go...in the real world you do what you gotta do.

Um, yeah...But that wasn't the real world and bullets weren't coming back at them.

But I do agree, they weren't just a couple of strangers to each other. I'd imagine some extensive training went into that before the live exercises.

DoubleTapDrew
April 25, 2008, 06:13 PM
Screw training and practice, all I need now are some Magpul accessories.
Haha! Exactly! Coming soon to a public range near you...

It did look like they were running diagonally to the side, so yes, broke the imaginary firing line but was going in another direction also.

.cheese.
April 25, 2008, 06:18 PM
see. if you buy Magpul stuff, you automatically become a tacticool ninja.

.cheese. places an order for Pmags.

VARifleman
April 25, 2008, 08:00 PM
Um, yeah...But that wasn't the real world and bullets weren't coming back at them.
One good way to get killed is to have to move like that in a firefight, yet let that be the first time you try it. You start slow with dummy guns, move on to fast with dummy guns, move back to real slow with live guns, and up the speed from there.

MTMilitiaman
April 25, 2008, 08:29 PM

You have to train like you fight. If lead starts flying and you've never practiced that kind of movement before, you're 200 pounds of meat in a bag going home under a flag. And as stated, you start slow and work up to that point.

BTW, that type of movement and communication is exactly, verbatim, what I was taught in The Corps. And it works.

I would have liked to see them demonstrating it with their new Masada, but other than that, I think they did pretty damn good.

Locate, close with, and destroy...

g.willikers
April 26, 2008, 05:52 PM
Er, if there are bad guys around, aren't they running in the wrong direction?
(Distance is your friend, yes?)

MTMilitiaman
April 26, 2008, 06:33 PM
"The mission of the Marine Corp rifleman is to locate, close with, and destroy the enemy through fire and maneuver or to repel his assault through fire in close quarters."

Granted, they may not be Marine Corp riflemen, but it is a classic and well coordinated display of getting online and assaulting through. Call contact, get online, and bound or fire team rush to and through the objective. It means taking the offensive, and robbing the enemy of the initiative. They can stay and die or get shot in the back running away. Either way, they all die, and there is nothing they can do about it.

VARifleman
April 26, 2008, 06:42 PM
Er, if there are bad guys around, aren't they running in the wrong direction?
(Distance is your friend, yes?)
It depends on the situation.

protolith
April 26, 2008, 06:59 PM
Darthbauer:

You dont just pick up your gun with someone you have never shot with before and start doing drills like that.

Its interesting you should say that, from the comments below the video:

MagpulDynamics (18 hours ago)
There is actually a story behind why we used this drill... Yes we had many drills to choose from but this one meant the most to us... This is the first time that Chris Costa and myself had ever worked together... and this was the first demo we had ever run together with no rehersals or plans... we just wanted to wing it to well... honestly test eachother... and you can see the results.

It appears to be a good testamonial to the quality of the training program that two people with the same training can meet each other and perform this well together w/o rehearsal.

GunTech
April 26, 2008, 07:40 PM
Do I have to buy the sunglasses to be that Tacti-cool? Looks like they watched Heat too many times. Should appeal to mall ninjas everywhere.

But I like their products.

sacp81170a
April 26, 2008, 08:41 PM
It appears to be a good testamonial to the quality of the training program that two people with the same training can meet each other and perform this well together w/o rehearsal.

That's exactly why it's such a great thing to have standardized training. Now, try the same thing with a full squad on a live fire range with supporting arms. Add in a bunch of hard core T's hopped up on drugs shooting back. That's exactly what the guys in the sand box are doing on a day in, day out basis. Good Lord, but I'm proud of each and every one of those guys.

Nothing new or tacticool here, just good basic fire and maneuver.

Soybomb
April 26, 2008, 08:55 PM
Do I have to buy the sunglasses to be that Tacti-cool? Looks like they watched Heat too many times. Should appeal to mall ninjas everywhere.
Sometimes I think we take the tactical mall ninja hate a little too far. Are we really to the point where we feel its crazy to wear sunglasses on an outdoor range?

Real shooters use muskets and wear only hand made clothes. Everyone else is a poseur.

VARifleman
April 26, 2008, 09:26 PM

But I like their products.
First off, this is a training program advertisement, not a Magpul products advertisement.

Now on to the "mall ninja" statement...where to begin...

Are they mall ninjas because they are well trained with firearms?

Are they mall ninjas because they wear sun glasses outside, where it's bright and there is lots of glare?

Seriously dude, those guys aren't wannabes. They have the skills and training, that perhaps you don't possess. That is no reason for you to speak ill of them. :scrutiny:

rero360
April 26, 2008, 09:49 PM
very nice video, same stuff we do in the army as well, at least in the infantry, granted I've gone over to the dark side. still remember the training, good times. I tell you, its a rush once you actually do that stuff with live rounds, mix in some live frags and its the best.

Wes Janson
April 26, 2008, 09:50 PM
Is it just me, or were the barricades set up in a diagonal line? It appeared that with each forward movement they were also moving several feet to the right, and that the mover was always several feet to the right of the shooter's line of fire.

VARifleman
April 26, 2008, 09:52 PM
That seems to be the case Wes.

Jeff F
April 27, 2008, 10:46 AM
You train like you fight, and you fight like you train. Thats some good offensive movement. One guy keeping their heads down while the other moving up and both calling out reloads. I would imagine that was practiced on a cold range with unloaded weapons many times before they did it for real.

Walkalong
April 27, 2008, 11:39 AM
What muzzle breaks are those? Seem effective.

yokel
April 27, 2008, 11:52 AM
An impressive display of skill, however, I suspect that it provides little or no effectiveness against asymmetrical warfare tactics like IEDs, the suicide bomb and the sniper.

Packman
April 27, 2008, 12:07 PM
I wear my sunglasses everytime I shoot outside. It's much more comfortable, and it eases the strain on my eyes, which lets me shoot longer. I don't like squinting.

Guess I'm a Ninja. I would like some special boots....

csmkersh
April 27, 2008, 12:08 PM
Fairly good training for a military op or NYPD against an unarmed "perp."

bsf
April 27, 2008, 12:13 PM
Got a heads-up email concerning the joint Magpul & SDI venture containing the link, so I checked it out. Simply stated, I thought that was pretty freekin cool. I am not some HSLD operator and I am not friends w/ anyone I would run that drill with. I think many of those posting negative comments concerning that video are in the same boat as me. We are not “professionals”; they are. I am not all that familiar w/ Costa, but Haley’s resume seems to be “been there, done it”. I do not think I am going to criticize them. I might as well take it upon myself to tell Dale Jr. how to drive a race car or Tim Duncan how to post up. ;)

Thernlund
April 29, 2008, 07:06 PM
Fairly good training for a military op or NYPD against an unarmed "perp."

Unarmed? Pfff. There'd be hell to pay if a couple of cops went off like that against one unarmed individual.

Gaaa... can you imagine? Balls out two man "hot" tactical response against a guy doing 12 over on the freeway. HA! That'd deter speeders.

-T.

SSN Vet
April 29, 2008, 08:47 PM
very nice....

it would be a hoot to train like that...

ceetee
April 29, 2008, 10:11 PM
Looks like a bunch of fun to me. Long as there's nobody shooting back, of course. I don't think it'd be quite so much fun with rounds incoming.

Seems to me that the point of the video is to help sell the fact that Magpul has merged with this training company, and (from what I've heard) is going to be offering such training to people. Kinda like what Sig and Glock do...

bsf
April 29, 2008, 10:39 PM
Looks like a bunch of fun to me. Long as there's nobody shooting back, of course. I don't think it'd be quite so much fun with rounds incoming.

Seems to me that the point of the video is to help sell the fact that Magpul has merged with this training company, and (from what I've heard) is going to be offering such training to people. Kinda like what Sig and Glock do...
Yes, I think it is a cool advertisement. Like I said, though, that type of drill is not something I would feel comfortable running with anyone I hang with. I have been considering one of Travis Haley’s handgun classes since early this year. He is scheduled to offer one in my state later this year. I have been holding off registering because I have not found much feedback on him and I am uncertain whether it $350 - $400 would be better spent on another class or additional ammo for practicing the little I already know.

BruceRDucer
April 29, 2008, 10:43 PM
That was some exemplary shooting. It showed, as far as I could tell, quite a bit of discipline.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Youtube video from Magpul I think you guy's will enjoy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!