factory crimp die for bottleneck rifle calibers

PDA

mek42
April 25, 2008, 07:34 PM
I have a neck die kit for my 308. I recently came into a bunch of once fired brass from a different gun, so I went to get a 308 FL die. Turns out that getting a single die from RCBS or Redding is more expensive than the kit from Lee which includes a factory crimp die. I do not currently have a factory crimp die for 308. Would the factory crimp die be useful?

I like using the factory taper crimp die for 45 ACP, but had never heard of a factory crimp die for rifles.

If you enjoyed reading about "factory crimp die for bottleneck rifle calibers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
paperpuncher49
April 25, 2008, 07:51 PM
IMO, it would be useful if you need a paerweight on your loading bench. Others will tell you differently.

taliv
April 25, 2008, 07:54 PM
that's because a single redding die is worth more than the kit from lee :)

what gun you shooting this in?

mek42
April 25, 2008, 08:17 PM
A Savage 12 series with heavy stainless barrel and laminate stock. With AccuTrigger. The gun shoots much better than I do, so I'm hoping to grow into it. :)

taliv
April 25, 2008, 08:27 PM
i would not crimp for that gun.

mek42
April 25, 2008, 08:30 PM
Maybe I'll just go ahead and order the Redding then. My neck die set is an RCBS.

If you enjoyed reading about "factory crimp die for bottleneck rifle calibers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!