Gun/tax friendly in Midwest

PDA

MetalMan52
April 25, 2008, 09:51 PM
Unfortunately I happen to live in Illinois, fortunately I'll be retiring soon and getting the hell out of here. My question for other Midwesterners is what state is the most friendly to gun owners and taxpayers? Currently I'm interested in the UP of Michigan, Iowa and Minnesota. Sorry Wisconsin but your tax structure isn't too friendly, love the place and folks just not the taxes. Wi is also one of the other states without CCW.
I'd like to stay within 5-6 hours of my kids and grandkids so it sort of limits me to these states. For general info I live on the Ill/Wis line by Lake Michigan.
I've been down in Tenn and Kentucky when my son was stationed at Ft. Campbell prior to being sent to Iraq but they are just a little too far away.

Thanks for your help
Pat

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun/tax friendly in Midwest" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mordechaianiliewicz
April 25, 2008, 09:57 PM
Move to the big Missouri. Taxes could be lower, but gun laws are very good.

doc2rn
April 25, 2008, 10:08 PM
Wicz is right Mo or Montana are the best in the Midwest.

blacksheep
April 25, 2008, 10:16 PM
Michigan, Iowa and Minnesota.

tax and gun friendly?.............

take mid off of midwest and you'll be headed in a better direction.

OMGWTFBBQ
April 25, 2008, 10:34 PM
Of the three, MN is the best gun wise. Taxes... eh, not so much, though I'm not sure how it stacks up to IA and MI.

If you go a little farther west to Sioux Falls, SD, you have all NFA OK, OC w/o permit, no training required for CC permit, and the taxes are alot lower than MN. There's no income tax, vs 5.35%-7.85% in MN, and the state sales tax is 2.5% lower, though most cities tack on an additional 2%, but most cities in MN don't(though some do tack on as much as 1%).

ServiceSoon
April 27, 2008, 04:06 PM
State tax comparisons. (http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/tax_stru.html)

Coolmojo
April 27, 2008, 04:17 PM
I grew up in Michigan and moved to Missouri a few years ago. Between the states gun laws, there isn't a HUGE difference. If you like open carry MI is better, if NFA toys is your thing, I believe Missouri has the edge. Its more a bout trade offs then over all one is better.

As for taxes its simple to break down. If you plan on owning alot of land, or really any land, MI property tax will murder you. But if you grab a condo in MI or something you can actually end up better then MO, no property tax on cars, and less of a hassle for plates, no sales tax on food and lower sales tax in general (That may have changed in the few years I've been away)

Also you say the UP of Michigan? if your wanting to keep it below 6 hours away thats kinda pushing it. I lived in SE MI and a trip across the bridge was 5-6 by itself. Any particular reason you wanted to become a upper?

cornman
April 27, 2008, 04:46 PM
Unless you live in cook county what is the big deal with everyone hating IL?

Jimmie
April 27, 2008, 04:49 PM
Because Crook county legislates and strongarms the rest of the state.

Mac45
April 27, 2008, 05:34 PM
Because Crook county legislates and strongarms the rest of the state.

Exactly right. It's a shame how they screw it up for the rest of the state.
MetalMan52, have you thought about Indiana? Moved here from Illinois myself about 10 years ago, and now I wouldn't go anywhere else.

cornman
April 27, 2008, 05:40 PM
Legislate what? A waiting period?

Jimmie
April 27, 2008, 06:02 PM
Oh I don't know. Just small things like no concealed carry, requiring a silly FOID even to buy ammo, waiting periods, no NFA... Maybe none of those matter to you or maybe you accept those as reasonable. I think they're a blatant slap in the face of the Illinois Bill of Rights, not to mention other forgotten documents.

When 40% of the state population lives in one urban county and one-sixth of the entire state is in one city "led" by a guy like Daley, the rest of the state really has little practical voice. I can't think of another state except maybe NY where one mayor wields more power than the governor.

Lichter
April 28, 2008, 10:37 AM
Sorry Wisconsin but your tax structure isn't too friendly, love the place and folks just not the taxes. Wi is also one of the other states without CCW.

You're right about the taxes, pretty ridiculous.

bsf
April 28, 2008, 11:12 PM
MI is in terrible shape. I do not know if that matters to someone who is retired. Still, I do not fully understand what the fallout could be from all the jobs and people exiting this state in droves. I think the tax base is shrinking considerably.

FireArmFan
April 28, 2008, 11:32 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...I love Minnesota.

Taxes aren't terrific, but I do love the state. Gun laws are pretty decent. No suppressors which kinda sucks. Good hunting, good fishing (tons of lakes), beautiful scenery. We've got big metropolitan cities, secluded rural areas and everything in between. Extreme temperature ranges but probably not much different than Illinois. A permit allows you to conceal or open carry. Most areas are pretty gun friendly but Minneapolis/St. Paul area can be kinda anti. I've lived here all my life and I can't really imagine living anywhere else.

Coolmojo
April 29, 2008, 07:14 AM
Oh rural/urban is something to consider. I lived in SE Michigan and the attitude around Ann Arbor and Detroit was more anti. I live now in the third biggest city in Missouri and running into an anti gunner is kinda like seeing a unicorn walking down the street. Kinda nice having a pro 2nd urban area left alive.

cracked butt
April 30, 2008, 09:31 AM
Sorry Wisconsin but your tax structure isn't too friendly, love the place and folks just not the taxes.

I'm about one school referendum away from selling the house and moving.:barf::banghead: Its pretty gun friendly here with the exception of CCW, but the political corruption and ever-increasing taxes will make you a bitter person in a hurry.

jfh
April 30, 2008, 10:39 AM
and I have lived elsewhere.

The state has its generally-gun-friendly structure, with a preemption law that keeps the urban-liberal cultural / gun control issues under control. (Basically, the antigun crowd lost so much credibility during the Carry Law legislative debates five years ago that they no longer have a lot of traction with the uninformed. I think.)

Historically, the state has a strong "progressive" perspective, but that has been tempered by a pragmatic conservatism. Nonetheless, the current state of politics suggest we could be in for another swing at liberal-Democrat policies if the Legislature becomes more Democrat dominant.

Other than the typical crony-ism issues that show up in Metro city councils, the politics are amazingly-corruption free, AFAICT. If you've lived in Illinois or some of the other states with their entrenched political structures, you'll be astounded--and may even become less politically-cynical.

There is a good public University system, some extraordinarily good private colleges, and the public k-12 schools rank very well nationally. Add to that some very good cultural benefits of all types--ranging from the Mall of America to the Guthrie Theater, and it's not a bad place to live.

Jim H.

Neo-Luddite
April 30, 2008, 11:31 AM

It's because Cook County and its leaders are convinced that the rest of the state is an all-you-can-eat buffet set up just for it's bennefit.

Every year some new anti-scheme from Cook ends up being a threat to RKBA.

IL is also a non-issue state--that's reason enough.

Go with MO.

cracked butt
April 30, 2008, 01:10 PM

It's because Cook County and its leaders are convinced that the rest of the state is an all-you-can-eat buffet set up just for it's bennefit.

Every year some new anti-scheme from Cook ends up being a threat to RKBA.

IL is also a non-issue state--that's reason enough.

Go with MO.

I don't live in the best state, but I always consider Illinois to be a few levels lower in Hell.

Neo-Luddite
April 30, 2008, 01:40 PM
Hey man, what can I say? We have little kids and Wisconsin ends up being our vacation destinantion of choice (we're like fifty miles from Monroe). We prefer Wisconsin, too. You at least have theoretical open carry and can hunt with a rifle. But then again, your Gov is a mo-mo, too.

Andrewsky
April 30, 2008, 01:52 PM
I like North Dakota better than Minnesota.

If I see one more Kerry Edwards sticker on a car here in Minneapolis I'm going to start slashing tires!!!:cuss::cuss::cuss:

Blackbeard
April 30, 2008, 07:12 PM
Iowa is not shall-issue, and they tax your retirement income. That's why retirees flee that state as well. If you want to stay in the Great Lakes area, I'd go Minnesota, Michigan or Ohio. Maybe Indiana if you want to be close enough to go to a Cubs game :)

Dksimon
April 30, 2008, 07:17 PM
I post a second vote for Sd. Conceald carry is a $10 permit and no class and Open carry is available without permit.
Sioux Falls is our largest city but I dont care for it because of that.
There is plenty of quaint little towns within a few minutes drive of Sioux Falls.

Seriously look into SD.

lamazza
April 30, 2008, 08:35 PM
MI has some ridiculous handgun laws

LAK Supply
April 30, 2008, 08:40 PM
Nobody mentions Wyoming? Best gun laws and taxes (or lack thereof) in the nation.....

Neo-Luddite
May 1, 2008, 11:02 AM
Nobody mentions Wyoming? Best gun laws and taxes (or lack thereof) in the nation.....

True--but including Wyoming in the 'Midwest' is a streeettccchhh.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun/tax friendly in Midwest" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!