+1 for Hornady bullet puller

PDA

JGAreddog
April 26, 2008, 08:19 AM
I recently pulled just over 50,000 bullets with the Hornady collet style puller and let me tell ya it is far superior to any other style or brand I've used. The only mod i made for it was a bigger handle which was done by simply placing a 4-5 inch piece of 1 or 1.5 inch pvc with cap over the handle. Add wood spacers to keep tight and in place, Then wrap the thing with ace tape or preferably a tennis grip. keep adding grease on top of the piston that closes the collet also
Also if your using a progressive press, a ramp on a hinge that falls under the collet to catch the bullet will be extremely helpful. Happy Pulling :)

If you enjoyed reading about "+1 for Hornady bullet puller" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
brokencowboy
April 26, 2008, 03:42 PM
My experience with the Hornady bullet puller has been quite different. The lever which tightens the collet on the bullet has broken with me three times while trying to pull 45 acp & 357 magnum bullets. I contacted Hornady & they told me that there had been other reported incidents of the same problem. To their credit, each time I returned the broken handle to them, they sent me a new one.

A friend had the same problem and, since he is a machinist, he made his own handle out of bar steel. The handle appears to be made of some kind of alloy that is too soft to withstand the pressure needed to pull bullets especially those that have been roll crimped

I'm finally fed up with the poor quality of the puller & am looking at other systems to do the job,

REB
April 26, 2008, 07:12 PM
I have had zero problems pulling 357 and 44 with a heavy roll crimp with mine. But then I try not to have to pull very many.

tac_driver
April 26, 2008, 08:08 PM
I pulled 9MM, 45ACP, and 357 bullets with no problems so far. I found i don't have to apply a lot of pressure to release the bullet from the case. The FMJ rounds come out clean however, the lead rounds have a light scoring on the bullet, but the shoot fine.

redactor
April 27, 2008, 12:15 AM
Mine came in yesterday. I pulled about 20 7.62x54R for reuse of the powder and bullet in .303 Brit loads. For these, it was necessary to run them through the 7.62x54R seating die to break the seal. Then with a sharp bump on the press handle, they popped out.

I also pulled the bullets out of a dozen or so .30 Carbine that I picked up at the range... All the primers were dented, but none of them had fired. Nothing like free .30 caliber bullets! Most of the 30 Carbine pulled very easily. One that I pushed too far into the puller didn't. I ended up crimping it into the case with the puller. Moral of the story is to run up the press until the collet will just barely grab the bullet.

jpwilly
April 27, 2008, 11:58 AM
Mine has worked fine for everything from 45ACP to Surplus 30 cal ammo including recovering from my own screw ups.

BigJakeJ1s
April 27, 2008, 05:36 PM
brokencowboy,

I wonder if some other part of your cam-lock puller was defective or something. I've used one quite a bit, and have never had to put enough pressure on that lever to break even pot metal, and my lever is stamped steel. Maybe you ought to send the whole thing in to Hornady and see if there is something else wrong that causes it to repeatedly break. The broken part is not always the source of the problem.

Andy

If you enjoyed reading about "+1 for Hornady bullet puller" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!