My six year old son is directly responsible for my last firearms purchase.

PDA

jsalcedo
August 15, 2003, 04:57 PM
I was in my local gun store making a layaway payment and shooting the breeze with the counter clerk because they were having problems with the
computers.

My six year old son is looking at the shotguns, rifles and swords while we finish up.

There wasn't anything else I wanted to buy in particular that day and we were getting ready to leave.

As I'm heading out the door, my son asks the counter clerk. "sir do you have any Garands" and pulls out a small 4 inch plastic garand he confiscated from D-Day GI Joe

The clerk takes a quick look around and tells my kid sorry there are all out of garands, but he has a GI M1 carbine "does he want to look at it?"

I walk up to the counter as he brings the carbine over for my son to inspect. "this one is friggin awesome dad. Can you buy it?"

Its an Inland GI carbine with all its finish, great looking wood,
and a couple of 15 round mags.

I haggled them down to $450 and put a down payment on the layaway.

I'm going next week to pick it up. I'm thinking my kid has worked out a commision deal with the gunshop folks or has taken over as curator of my gun collection

If you enjoyed reading about "My six year old son is directly responsible for my last firearms purchase." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SADshooter
August 15, 2003, 05:12 PM
M1 Carbine: $450

Bonding moment like that with child: Priceless

I can only hope to have on like that someday.

Dave R
August 15, 2003, 05:18 PM
Kid has taste :D

4v50 Gary
August 15, 2003, 05:34 PM
You may want a junker stock you can cut down so it fits him.

DigMe
August 15, 2003, 06:24 PM
Hey, just be glad that his GI Joe didn't come with a .50 BMG or an M4 or something. You coulda been out a lot more dough!! :)

brad cook

4v50 Gary
August 15, 2003, 06:33 PM
DigMe - Bwahahahahaha.

Suggestion Jsalcedo - don't buy him a toy tank or airplane and then bring him to an armored museum or airshow. You may just have to bull doze the neighborhood for a runway.

Navy joe
August 15, 2003, 06:36 PM
My dad is still very much here and I am very attached to two guns of his. One I own, one he will keep until he's past his last hunt. Don't ever sell that carbine. Ever.

Kid gets a little older take him to Victoria's Secret to meet the help. Tell 'em he's got to spend his own money this time.

Chipperman
August 15, 2003, 06:51 PM
Hmmm...
I've got twin boys. They just turned two. Looks like I'm gonna be in big trouble in another four years. ;)

jsalcedo
August 15, 2003, 07:07 PM
4v50 Gary:

You may want a junker stock you can cut down so it fits him.

Excellent Idea! That would be a cheap worthwhile investment.

NavyJoe:
Don't ever sell that carbine. Ever.

No way. The carbine is a keeper. I'm passing down all the guns that mean something to me and taking the ones I collected in trade or debt and converting those to guns that are worthy of passing down.

DigMe:
Hey, just be glad that his GI Joe didn't come with a .50 BMG or an M4 or something

I'm making him earn the dough to buy his own toys. He just shelled out
9 bucks for a plastic tripod mounted minigun to replace a broken M4 one of his guys had. It took me a long time to get him to realize a real minigun is economically off limits.

BowStreetRunner
August 15, 2003, 09:18 PM
NO MINIGUN!
oh well i guess an MI carbine would have to do
sounds like the kid has his priorities in the right place...most kids dont know what a Garand is
BSR

Carnitas
August 16, 2003, 12:12 AM
I love it!

No candy ??? plastic poodle shooter for this kid.

He wants A GARAND. Not one of those pansy 308 conversions either mind you. Real GD American 30'06.

If thats not available he'll settle for the carbine. As long as its original GI, blue steel, and walnut.

I hope my kids have 1/2 as much taste.

abdrdude
August 16, 2003, 03:42 AM
You must be raising your son properly and have a right to be proud of him.Keep up the great work, as kids are the future of shooting.

iamhistory
August 16, 2003, 09:43 PM
M1 Carbine: $450
Bonding moment like that with child: Priceless

Your life when your wife finds out you bought yet another gun: hell

:D

Hey, at least you're starting the little guy off right. We've got to recruit the rookies now so they are seasoned conservatives and pro-gun advocates when we get to the big games.

dam8
May 2, 2006, 11:18 PM
If my kid at 8 said friggin I'd have given him a weeks worth if mre s instead of oatmeal:neener:
and an order to give me 20 push ups:D

Diomed
May 3, 2006, 12:59 AM
Man, I wish my dad had gotten me an M1 carbine when I was little! Picked up one at my first gunshow, fell in love. Still haven't gotten one, but I will.

cosine
May 3, 2006, 01:50 AM
"It's for the children!" ;)

starplayer
May 3, 2006, 03:42 AM
i always asked for nunchucks.. damn ninja turtles

Mortech
May 3, 2006, 03:44 AM
Think thats bad , wait till the grandkids are old enough .....

Zen21Tao
May 3, 2006, 07:24 AM
Your life when your wife finds out you bought yet another gun: hell

Hallmark should make cards to get us guys through explaining to the wife/fiance/girlfriend our latest gun purchase. :D

iamkris
May 3, 2006, 08:28 AM
Your six year old says "friggin"?

The fact that he knows what a Garand is makes up for it though...good teaching.

V4Vendetta
May 3, 2006, 10:41 AM
"If my kid at 8 said friggin I'd have given him a weeks worth if mre's instead of oatmeal and an order to give me 20 push ups.:D "

That's what my dad would have asked me to do:D . I could have gotten away with it however because I'm around 6' tall & he's around 5'4":D . Seriously, I'm glad you bought him a gun:) . I'm not a Garand guy yet because the only experience I have with the M1 Garand is from "MOH:Frontline" & that experience was bad. A real Garand may be different though so in the future I might try one out.

kjeff50cal
May 3, 2006, 10:45 AM
I was seven-years-old when I saw my dad's Ruger Deerfield .44 carbine (with Redfield 4X scope) laying across his bed. I asked what is that and he replied that it was his deer rifle and it looked kinda like what he carried in WWII (M1 Carbine) but with more power...... And don't touch it:rolleyes: :D .

History Prof
May 3, 2006, 12:48 PM
Your six year old says "friggin"?

As I'm heading out the door, my son asks the counter clerk. "sir do you have any Garands" and pulls out a small 4 inch plastic garand he confiscated from D-Day GI Joe

Hey, the kid said "SIR." I haven't heard that from a little kid in a LONG time. And I live in a small conservative town! jlascedo, you're bringing that kid up RIGHT! Someday, I suspect, you're gonna be buying that Garand, too!:cool:

wmenorr67
May 3, 2006, 02:14 PM
You should send this into the guys at Mastercard for their little contest. Make your own commercial deal. See if they "buy" it.

rero360
May 3, 2006, 02:22 PM
outstanding, that is absolutely awsome, you got yourself one fine young man there, wise beyond his age, good taste too.

you know, I felt bad too when I found out I probably would never be able to afford a minigun.:)

Keep up with the good work of raising your son.

AirForceShooter
May 3, 2006, 02:32 PM
you think son's are bad. If you have a little girl hanging around just wait.
Daddyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I have to have that. She said of the 1911.

AFS

Waitone
May 3, 2006, 06:03 PM
The kid is a natural born broker. He found a will buyer, a willing seller, brought the two together and walks off with a commission. :neener:

Archie
May 3, 2006, 06:17 PM
"My six year old son is directly responsible for my last firearms purchase."

Just remember to thank him at the appropriate time.

Jolly_Roger
May 3, 2006, 07:35 PM
You should sign up with CMP and get a couple of Garands (one for each of you) while they are still available. After all, the carbine needs a big brother!

Frohickey
May 3, 2006, 07:39 PM
Smart kid...

He knows that each gun that dad buys and pays for, is one less gun for him to buy after dad gives the gun collection to him. :evil:

Frohickey
May 3, 2006, 07:44 PM
Suggestion Jsalcedo - don't buy him a toy tank or airplane and then bring him to an armored museum or airshow. You may just have to bull doze the neighborhood for a runway.

Not if the toy airplane is a Harrier. :D

.41Dave
May 3, 2006, 08:25 PM
you think son's are bad. If you have a little girl hanging around just wait.
Daddyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I have to have that. She said of the 1911.

+1. My 11 year old daughter is directly responsible for the fact that I own this Kimber Raptor. She decided it was "Way cool" and we had to have it. Now she's trying to convince me that it needs to be hers (along with every nickel S&W I own)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/p5d81ad39c6f68a3e6134c1c6c6d26550/efbf33f3.jpg

Diomed
May 3, 2006, 11:05 PM
After thinking about it, I think you should buy him that Garand. Hear me out. They're not getting cheaper or easier to find, and it would make a spectacular gift down the line. One of my strongest memories of my father is when he gave me my first BB gun. It's a great bonding opportunity. I don't know if any six-year-old is ready for a full power semiauto rifle, but he will be one day.

It'd be cool to have the Garand there when he is.:)

chaim
May 4, 2006, 04:07 AM
With that story of how that Carbine came into your possession I'm wondering if you plan to simply hold the gun for a couple years until he's old enough for it to be your son's gun?

Seems that he wanted it and convinced you to buy it. I'm guessing he'll be seeing it as his gun. He'll probably love that gun. It is very compact and in a pretty light cartridge so recoil is pretty light. It is a pretty good centerfire rifle for a child. Seems to me that it is perfect to be his first (I assume) centerfire rifle. Now you'll just have to go back and buy another for yourself :evil:

dodge
May 4, 2006, 09:26 AM
Like the liberals would say "It's for the kids." Good show for your son to know what he wants.

If you enjoyed reading about "My six year old son is directly responsible for my last firearms purchase." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!