How to sell guns via the forum?

PDA

B.357
April 26, 2008, 06:07 PM
Can someone please tell me a couple things?
Do I have to have a FFL to sell and ship a gun once it's sold?
How would I ship it?
Some genaral rules would be nice.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to sell guns via the forum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
.cheese.
April 26, 2008, 07:02 PM
did you sell it within your own state?

bogie
April 26, 2008, 07:35 PM
What form are you talking about? If it's a 4473, the FFL on the other end will have someone fill one out before doing the NICS check.

brett30030
April 26, 2008, 08:06 PM
I think he means forum?

bogie
April 26, 2008, 08:10 PM
If you can't read and write, then you oughta be leavin' the boomsticks alone...

kingpin008
April 26, 2008, 09:10 PM
Or we could ask him for clarification and then offer the appropriate advice...

B.357
April 26, 2008, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry, yes I meant the forum.
what I am trying to ask is say I sell a gun over THR
do I need an FFL to ship it to the buyers FFL?
thanks for putting up with me.:o

btg3
April 26, 2008, 09:44 PM
You can ship directly to their FFL. However, their FFL may appreciate knowing that the gun is not coming from a questionable source and some form of identification from that source is often appreciated or requested. A copy of your driver's license is one example.

Also, be aware of differences in shipping handguns and long guns. I like to use USPS for long guns. If you ship a handgun it must go overnite (UPS or Fedex) and costs about $50. Your FFL can ship a handgun much cheaper with USPS.

Recently, I was told that if you take down a hangun and ship as 2 separate packages, it's classified as "machined parts" rather than a handgun and does not have to ship overnite. Can anyone verify that this is feasible?

JerryM
April 26, 2008, 09:54 PM
The frame is considered the gun by the ATF. If you only shipped it you would be required to handle is as a firearm.

It is pretty much impossible to beat the system and stay within the law. Save yourself trouble and do it in accordance with ATF regulations. Trying to save $50 bucks could cost thousands in lawyer fees and still serve some jail time.

Regards,
Jerry

bfox
April 26, 2008, 10:19 PM

A lot of help and Real High Road of You .:banghead:

Car Knocker
April 26, 2008, 11:26 PM
Recently, I was told that if you take down a hangun and ship as 2 separate packages, it's classified as "machined parts" rather than a handgun and does not have to ship overnite. Can anyone verify that this is feasible?
Not true! The frame or receiver is, in and of itself, the firearm. Otherwise you could buy new guns, mailorder, without going through an FFL as long as they were disassembled, and you know that isn't the way it is.

btg3
April 27, 2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks for clearing up the question of shipping "gun parts" versus the frame/receiver. Sounded dubious at the outset, but the "advice" came from an outfit that machines cylinders for moon clips. Of course, they don't need the frame, so we may have miscommunicated.

B.357
April 27, 2008, 10:45 AM
How would I know if their FFL is real?
couldn't someone fake it?
Just wondering.

Avenger29
April 27, 2008, 10:57 AM
How would I know if their FFL is real?
couldn't someone fake it?
Just wondering.

Search for it on the internet to verify?

Call the BATFE to verify?

kingpin008
April 27, 2008, 11:36 AM
B.357 - you can use the FFL EZ-CHECK website to verify their info. You can also go to one of the various gun auction websites and use their "Locate an FFL" feature, to find a dealer near you. In general though, anyone with a brick-and-mortar shop will be a valid license holder. It's way, way too risky not to be licensed when you run a business.

gym
April 27, 2008, 01:33 PM
Make sure to insure the gun, I just shipped a Computer monitor two weeks ago,for service, and it's a good thing I insured the darn thing as it is lost, and I am waiting for them to pay pac-mail. the darn packing and shipping was $70.00, and add that to the price of replacing the device, and it's up over$300.00 Also I was told by the store owner, Who is a permit holder , that you can just mark the box, Parts, without the Machine attached to it. The reason I bring it up, is because if they loose it, they may want a reciept for the "parts". So if you have bought anything that is around the same price range, you can at least have a reciept to show when and if they require one. Like a computer part of some sort, or a camera.

Car Knocker
April 27, 2008, 02:02 PM
The reason I bring it up, is because if they loose it, they may want a reciept for the "parts". So if you have bought anything that is around the same price range, you can at least have a reciept to show when and if they require one. Like a computer part of some sort, or a camera.Isn't that called insurance fraud?

gym
April 27, 2008, 03:04 PM
No it's called replacement insurance. If I give you a package and you take it, the least I should be entitled to would be the cost of the item, after I paid the price of your insurance. You insured the contents, whatever it might be, for a pre determined price. I paid it and you took it. That's the end of the transaction. If you wanted to look at what was inside, then you had the time and oppertunity to do so. If something is worth one dollar or one million dollars, once you take the premium, and agree to provide insurance fot it, it is you or your agent's perogative to inspect the contents prior to shipping. But once you loose it , you need to pay for it, because you lost it.

Car Knocker
April 27, 2008, 03:16 PM
Ok, let's see if I've got this right. You ship gun "parts" and insure "parts" for $400. The box gets lost and you submit a claim and receipt you have laying around for $400 worth of camera parts. The shipper (or the shipper's insurance) pays off your claim for camera parts. The box turns up after it was misrouted to Flat Rock, UT. The shipper opens it and finds not camera parts but gun "parts". Do you maintain that no fraudulent actions have taken place by presenting a claim and receipt for something that you did not actually ship?

Mal H
April 27, 2008, 03:58 PM
No it's called replacement insurance.No, it's called a misdemeanor in most localities and a felony in others.

Shipping a handgun frame as "parts", machined or otherwise, is illegal. There will be NO discussions of how to skirt the laws of the land on these pages. Continuing to do so is cause for banning from THR. It's that simple.

Rachen
April 27, 2008, 04:15 PM

And when the house is divided, it will fall. Clearly we have to work on solidifying our group into a large and unified force against the onslaught of those who want to take our freedoms away. The first step is to eliminate childish behavior and schoolyard insults.

Winchester 73
April 27, 2008, 04:25 PM
you can use the FFL EZ-CHECK website to verify their info

Excellent advice,kingpin.Here is the link:
https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

USMC 1975
April 27, 2008, 05:57 PM
And when the house is divided, it will fall. Clearly we have to work on solidifying our group into a large and unified force against the onslaught of those who want to take our freedoms away. The first step is to eliminate childish behavior and schoolyard insults.

I agree 100 %. Not everyone is a genius and all of us will accidentally misspell a word now and then.

It would be nice to know that your not going to get ripped apart on this forum when you do make an error in misspelling.

Chris

Gator
April 27, 2008, 08:26 PM
B.357,

1) Get paid!
2) Get a copy of the receiving FFLs license. This can be a signed copy, fax, or e-mail
3) Verify the FFL through eZcheck
4) Box up your gun, include whatever information the receiving FFL requires, a copy of your drivers license is usual
5) Ship it to the FFL. Long guns can be sent USPS or UPS, handguns must go UPS next day air. When you get the tracking number send it to the buyer. This isn't required, but its polite. If you are shipping a handgun you can also take it to a local FFL and pay him to ship it for you, FFL dealers can send handguns USPS and it may be cheaper.
Note: Some FFLs will not accept guns from private citizens, and you will have to use an FFL on your end. Be sure to explain in your ad that, if this is the case, the buyer is responsible for any additional costs. Also, check your state laws!

swoter
April 27, 2008, 08:54 PM
I would use a ffl holder to ship a handgun, the one I used in Springfield, Ohio, charged me $35 to ship, $20 to receive. Rifles and shotguns I have used the USPS. Most I have paid is around $20 including insurance.

JShirley
April 30, 2008, 02:29 PM
Also, don't expect the shipper to actually know the law, sadly. For that matter, never depend on TSA to know it, either. Printing out the appropriate ATF regs and carrying them with you may be helpful.

John

brighamr
April 30, 2008, 04:26 PM
B.357,

1) Get paid!
2) Get a copy of the receiving FFLs license. This can be a signed copy, fax, or e-mail
3) Verify the FFL through eZcheck
4) Box up your gun, include whatever information the receiving FFL requires, a copy of your drivers license is usual
5) Ship it to the FFL. Long guns can be sent USPS or UPS, handguns must go UPS next day air. When you get the tracking number send it to the buyer. This isn't required, but its polite. If you are shipping a handgun you can also take it to a local FFL and pay him to ship it for you, FFL dealers can send handguns USPS and it may be cheaper.
Note: Some FFLs will not accept guns from private citizens, and you will have to use an FFL on your end. Be sure to explain in your ad that, if this is the case, the buyer is responsible for any additional costs. Also, check your state laws!

And Gator wins! Very concise explanation, thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "How to sell guns via the forum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!