FYI - Teeny search glitch

PDA

The Wiry Irishman
April 27, 2008, 03:39 AM
Two-letter searching is working great now, with one exception. When I search the BST forums for IN, I get no results. Searching for "Indiana" using the full text option yields many. I'm assuming the search engine is ignoring IN because it thinks its the word "in," which is too small and common to be used as a search criteria.

I'm not too concerned about it, since searching the unabbreviated state name gives me more results than I care to read through, I just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

If you enjoyed reading about "FYI - Teeny search glitch" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
April 27, 2008, 10:58 AM
I'll bet your assumption is correct. Derek can probably remove "in" from the don't-search list. But if it increases the DB size significantly, that may not be a good solution.

I just checked and we have the same problem for HI, ME, OH, OK, and OR. Fortunately, MA and PA were OK. ;)

waterhouse
April 27, 2008, 04:20 PM
If you are looking for local guns in the for sale forums, do an advanced search in the forum for title only, and search for

IN*

This will bring up all case where someone used IN as an abbreviation. It will also bring up results like the Beretta Inox, but it's a start.

Mal H
April 27, 2008, 05:54 PM
I don't think that's going to work, waterhouse. Common words like "in" are not included in the search index, so IN is not going to be found even by using a wildcard. Give it a try and I'll think you'll see that threads containing "IN" in the title are overlooked unless they also contain "Indiana" or some other in... word.

waterhouse
April 27, 2008, 07:07 PM
Ah, I see. I had tried it, and thought it was working, but I see now that those responses also included Indiana as a separate word from the IN.

If you enjoyed reading about "FYI - Teeny search glitch" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!