Any 9mm Taurus revolvers out there yet?

PDA

WonderNine
August 15, 2003, 06:56 PM
Release date was supposed to be Summer 03'. Anybody seen one yet?

Porting...... :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Any 9mm Taurus revolvers out there yet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dhoomonyou
August 15, 2003, 09:19 PM
I spoke to Taurus "Customer service" last week, they said maybe the end of october, start of november.
I wouldnt hold my breath.

WonderNine
August 21, 2003, 02:54 AM
Did you ask them about the porting?

wunderkind
August 24, 2003, 06:54 PM
When these 9mm start going from warehouse to dealer shelves to holsters maybe someone could post a chrono reading?

What does a 115 gr. factory fresh load do through a 2" barrel?

I don't think message boards like this were quite as popular when the original round of 9mm revolvers took its course.

(However, the Gun Digest 2001 annual listed a Ruger SP101 snubbie in 9mm)

Erich
August 24, 2003, 09:39 PM
xcop over on the S&W boards posted some results from his 2" 940 (and others have done likewise over at GlockTalk and The Firing Line). Here's what he got:

Fed BP 115 grain - 1116 fps
Win STHP 115 gr - 1113
Fed 135 gr Pers. Defense - 1005
Rem 124 gr Golden Saber - 1121

YMMV, of course. We chrono'd some 9x19s out of an SP-101 short bbl back in '90 (I've lost the tape with that data), and this sounds about right. The bbl/cyl gap is less of a hindrance than you'd expect - you wind up with velocities similar to those posted by a 3.5" semiauto.

denfoote
August 25, 2003, 02:03 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

dude
August 27, 2003, 10:28 PM
I am paitently&happily a'waiting for my Taurus Ti 9mm snub but don't expect to see it til spring 04..................because thay said fall of 03. It has honestly been the only gun on my 'want list' for the last few years.

WonderNine
August 27, 2003, 11:42 PM
Originally they said Summer 03'.

:(

dude
August 28, 2003, 01:19 AM
Do y'all want some cheese to go along with all this whining??

Manufactures never produce anything by the dates they 'announce' . I've put one on order with my local Taurus dealer and suggest you do the same if you want one. It will get here when it gets here.

Okiecruffler
August 28, 2003, 01:22 AM
I want my barrels to have a hole for the cartridge to go into and one for the bullet to come out of. In the wise words of Homer J. Simpson, "No Extras!"

Mannlicher
August 30, 2003, 12:18 PM
porting on a snubbie is, well, is dumb. There is absolutly no benefit, and several problems that it creates. Of course to gun neophytes, the coolness factor overides all practical aspects.

Wanderer
August 30, 2003, 02:57 PM
But you need SOME form of compensation for the terrific recoil of the 9mm catridge!!!

:neener: :neener: :neener:

WonderNine
August 30, 2003, 10:07 PM
I'll bet those +P+ Ranger loads will have a little snap to them if Taurus makes a titanium version.

Zeke Menuar
August 30, 2003, 10:57 PM
Note to Taurus:

Please make this 9mm revolver with a three-inch barrel and no porting.

ZM

E357
August 31, 2003, 09:47 AM
I have a number of revolvers and find porting to be a very useful addition with the very small ultra lightweight models. The follow-up shots are much faster than with a non-ported lightweight revolver. On a larger heavier gun I don't care for porting. As far as defensive work goes - I can't think of a situtition where the ports would be facing me when shooting the gun.

SouthpawShootr
August 31, 2003, 10:22 AM
Here's another note for Taurus: Make a 9mm version of the 850/650 series. A 3 inch tube would be nice, but I'll take it with a 2 inch.

I can't believe what the S&W 940 Centennials are going for these days. When I think about passing up a new one for $330 five years ago, I just want to kick myself:banghead:

355sigfan
September 2, 2003, 05:56 AM
I can't think of a situtition where the ports would be facing me when shooting the gun.
END

As a firearms instructor I can. Its called shooting from a weapon retention position. That is with the gun tucked in close to your body like a chambered punch. The ports will burn and possibly blind you. They have no place on a defense gun. They are fine on conpetion and hunting guns.
Pat

WonderNine
September 3, 2003, 04:52 PM
I can't believe what the S&W 940 Centennials are going for these days. When I think about passing up a new one for $330 five years ago, I just want to kick myself

I saw a NIB one for $4 something a couple months ago...I didn't have the money :banghead:

E357
September 5, 2003, 02:23 AM
355sigfan: shooting from a weapon retention position

When someone is that close my my knife appears before my gun.

sw442642
September 5, 2003, 05:29 PM
That assume a nice orderly fight. It is possible in a gun fight that someone does get close to you. Then you do have retention issues and I agree with Pat.

Prodigalshooter
September 7, 2003, 03:38 AM
Well, I won't argue close quartres techniques, but if Taurus makes a NON-PORTED 9mm revolver, I WILL buy it! Of course, I'd want 6 shot cylinder and a 3 or 4" barrel.
But I'm not holding my breath!:p

Tacblack
September 9, 2003, 07:36 PM
Porting will follow the same as the other J-frames this is what I was told from the Shot Show. The light wieght models will all be ported and the steel models will be the only ones you can get with out porting.
I'll take mine steel with no holes on the top.

WonderNine
September 10, 2003, 02:02 AM
Of course, I want an ultra-light so they make the steel one the only one you can get without porting! :cuss:

dude
September 10, 2003, 02:19 AM
the porting works and is no problem with flash or setting your lips on fire...........enjoy it everybody! (and PLEASE stop whining)

dude
September 10, 2003, 02:22 AM
If you must have a ultra-lite Taurus ti snub revolver............score yourself a 4" and have it shortened.

WonderNine
September 12, 2003, 01:12 AM
the porting works and is no problem with flash or setting your lips on fire...........enjoy it everybody! (and PLEASE stop whining)

How do you know, did you own one like I did?

I'm not going to buy a 4" and have it shortened ok. I didn't even know they were planning on offering a 4" Ti model in 9mm.

Prodigalshooter
September 12, 2003, 01:41 AM
They're probably not, he just doesn't want to hear us complain about the porting. Too bad, I don't like it and merely ask for a non-ported version for the rest of us. I'm sure you have a few things you whine about.:p

355sigfan
September 12, 2003, 02:02 AM
No professional firearms instructors recomend porting on a defense gun. Wonder why?
Pat

dude
September 12, 2003, 04:41 AM
sorry, I've never delt with a 'professional' firearms instructor, 'cept for our fine US Army DIs--but I do own and shoot a ported .357 Taurus 617T ALOT under 'real' conditions with nary a problem..........as it is my primary carry. (sorry about the actuall expierence-vs-internet commando opnions)

355sigfan
September 12, 2003, 12:52 PM
(sorry about the actuall expierence-vs-internet commando opnions)
END

Well as a cop and a firearms instructor and not as a internet commando I can tell you ported guns will get you burned or blinded if you need to use then in a weapon retention position. People like Jeff Cooper and Clint Smith are hardly internet commando's. So tell me whats your actual experience using ported guns to defend yourself. None I bet. Except paper targets.
Pat

WonderNine
September 12, 2003, 06:23 PM
dude, stop trying to belittle us and our opinions. You like what you like and we like what we like, let's just leave it at that. :rolleyes:

dude
September 15, 2003, 02:23 AM
look.....it's like this: all these so-called 'experts' who bad mouth porting have NO clue but don't mind running their mouths anyway. Folks who read this stuff on the internet believe these gurus w/o question.

I do have a clue about porting on revolvers because after some testing in very dark conditions with my ported Taurus .357mag snub revolver with several types of 38sp & .357mag ammo I noticed that while there was a mild blast/flash out of the ports.........the HUGE blast from the cyl gap was much brighter and went more than twice as high as blast/flash from the ports. Since this much stronger and brighter cyl blast is less than 2" behind the ports, any warning/bad mouthing about the danger of porting on revolvers is bogus.

Autos are a different story as there is no cyl gap.

355sigfan
September 15, 2003, 03:33 AM
look.....it's like this: all these so-called 'experts' who bad mouth porting have NO clue but don't mind running their mouths anyway. Folks who read this stuff on the internet believe these gurus w/o question.
END

Well all of them know more than you do. Clint Smith, Chuck Taylor and others that you label as so called experts have forgotten more about shooting and tactics that you could hope to learn. When you get older and start shooting more and get some real training you will know.

I too once thought that ported guns were fine. That was before I became a police officer and a firearms instructor myself. There is a huge difference between the gas blow by on a cylinder gap than the gas blow from ports. Find out for yourself. Place the gun in tight next to your body as you would in a close quarters fight and pull the trigger. See what happens. Be my quest. Might want to have a medic standing by.

Pat

dude
September 15, 2003, 04:02 AM
You are correct, there is a huge difference between the cyl gap and the ports, as the ports are a non issue and the cyl gap is huge. I've done it (as I said in my last post) so I still say "bogus"/no clue keyboard commando hype.

btw--I am older, and shoot more than most here!

You do know the 'ASSume' thing don't you! ('cause you are VERY guilty)

btw- I use a P7 for such things

Oracle
September 15, 2003, 03:08 PM
dude, if you're getting a huge blast from your cylinder gap, you may want to have a competent gunsmith inspect it. The cylinder gap may be out of spec.

As for porting on guns, I don't really see the need on a 9mm gun, and as I draw into a retention position that puts the gun right under my pectoral muscle, I'd rather not have hot gasses shooting out from the top of the barrel directly into that area. I had a non-ported Taurus 7-shot snubbie for a while, and I'm definitely interested in their 9mm revolver, but only if I can get it in a non-ported configuration.

355sigfan
September 15, 2003, 03:14 PM
btw--I am older, and shoot more than most here!

You do know the 'ASSume' thing don't you! ('cause you are VERY guilty)

END

Its more of an educated guess based on your statements and apparant knowledge level. If your not young then you don't have much of an excuse for you positions. Anyone who calls combat vets like Chuck Taylor and Clint Smith internet commando's is a bit ignorant of reality or simply does not know better.
Pat

RON in PA
September 17, 2003, 01:32 PM
I think I'll jump into this friendly discussion. My only experience with a ported revolver is my Taurus Tracker in 45ACP. Shot under low light conditions much more flash comes out of the cylinder gap, in fact I don't notice anything out of the ports. On the other hand I've no doubt that any body part that might be over the ports during firing is going to be toasted, but in a retention position wouldn't the flame from the cylinder gap be more likely to hit a body part.

By the way I'm 62 and if not the oldest in this discussion I still qualify as an old fart.:D :D

WonderNine
September 18, 2003, 04:28 AM
Well, I hope we see one of these revolvers soon. It seems they should be shipping to dealers any week now.

only1asterisk
September 18, 2003, 05:20 AM
Make a 3" non-ported version and I'll buy my first taurus.

David

WonderNine
September 19, 2003, 09:08 PM
Hey asterisk, the second video link in your sig doesn't work. ;)

Andrew Wyatt
September 19, 2003, 10:04 PM
look.....it's like this: all these so-called 'experts' who bad mouth porting have NO clue but don't mind running their mouths anyway.

okay, how why don't you shoot your ported snub with your hand laying across the barrel sometime?

or from the weapon retention position (waist level, muzzle just forwardof the belly, tucked in close)

If you don't get greviously injured doing either one of those, i'll buy a taurus.

Prodigalshooter
September 19, 2003, 11:19 PM
Ok, so how old are you?
I'm 53, shoot IDPA several times a month, (oh, they don't allow porting, hmm, wonder why) and I'm far from an internet commando, as are most of the folks who've answered in this thread, I suspect. I've owned a ported Taurus too. I gave it to my son because I didn't like the porting due to the excessive noise and increased flash. Of course, I could be wrong:rolleyes:
:neener:

only1asterisk
September 20, 2003, 06:53 AM
The site is gone, and it's a pity, it was a great video of a Las Vegas LEO having a ND within a few inches of another cop and a subject that was being handcuffed on the ground. If anyone has another source for the video or knows of the incident in guestion, please get me the details.

David

WonderNine
September 21, 2003, 02:06 AM
I believe I've already seen that video, the female officer has an itchy trigger finger on her Beretta while covering the other officer(s) and discharges it near the perps head and I'm surprised the ricochet didn't hit the Black officer who was handcuffing the guy. Then she nonchalantly reholsters the gun as if it was nothing. Oh boy :rolleyes:

I originally first saw that video on Glocktalk and my favorite comment was, "that guy just about jumped out of his mullet". ROFL! :D

Anyways, back to the subject of Taurus 9mm revolvers coming out sometime soon....:D

catsupsam
October 12, 2003, 04:12 AM
Did I see that the Davidson's Gallery of Guns site indicate that they had the 9mm revolver in stock or was I dreaming?

If you enjoyed reading about "Any 9mm Taurus revolvers out there yet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!